Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:12 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Scratch Offs - Post Pictures if posible

5867 replies. Last post 3 minutes ago by zzplayfaster.

Page 211 of 392
PrintE-mailLink
SARASOTA, FL
United States
Member #95778
August 17, 2010
1110 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2016, 11:17 am - IP Logged

My buddy BIG JIM won $500K the other day buying just ONE ticket - a $5 Gold Rush. I remember finding out that 8 top prize winners in and around Sarasota in the past 5 years won by buying just ONE ticket !

Maybe I'll start buying one of each $5 to $25 ticket - why not ?

wins: $10,000 Jubilee - $5,000 $200MS - 32 $1k's - 185 $500's - 5 $400's

" ... some days you're the bug - some days you're the windshield ..."

Florida
    United States
    Member #172872
    February 7, 2016
    776 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2016, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

My buddy BIG JIM won $500K the other day buying just ONE ticket - a $5 Gold Rush. I remember finding out that 8 top prize winners in and around Sarasota in the past 5 years won by buying just ONE ticket !

Honestly, that seems to be the way to do it. We don't know where the winners will be. It could be that one ticket you see, and never touch. 

Maybe buy 1 to 2 of the $1 and $2 tickets. Those tickets can have big winners, too. I've seen people cash in $400 winners on $2 and $5 tickets before.

Florida
      United States
      Member #167757
      July 29, 2015
      373 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2016, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Don't read too much into this. It's like how the overwhelming majority of draw game winners are quick picks. It's the case because the overwhelming majority of sales are quick picks, not because quick picks have something special going for them.

The math says if you buy two tickets you have twice the chance to win, ten tickets, ten times the chance, and so on. The person before Big Jim could've bought the first 29 tickets on the roll and lost nearly all the money spent, only to have Big Jim come in and buy one ticket and win. Everyone then says, "See, the trick is to just buy one and walk." But if the first person had purchased 30 tickets, the message would be, "See, buying half a book is the way to get paid."

Grats to Big Jim, it's great to hear that a regular player got a big win, but it was a lucky pull. One he almost certainly wouldn't have made if he wasn't there playing every day (read: buying bunches of tickets, even if over time).

Not that I'm advocating buying tons of tickets. Buying piles of tickets hasn't done much for all of us. It does make it more likely that lightning will strike, though.

SARASOTA, FL
        United States
        Member #95778
        August 17, 2010
        1110 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2016, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Don't read too much into this. It's like how the overwhelming majority of draw game winners are quick picks. It's the case because the overwhelming majority of sales are quick picks, not because quick picks have something special going for them.

The math says if you buy two tickets you have twice the chance to win, ten tickets, ten times the chance, and so on. The person before Big Jim could've bought the first 29 tickets on the roll and lost nearly all the money spent, only to have Big Jim come in and buy one ticket and win. Everyone then says, "See, the trick is to just buy one and walk." But if the first person had purchased 30 tickets, the message would be, "See, buying half a book is the way to get paid."

Grats to Big Jim, it's great to hear that a regular player got a big win, but it was a lucky pull. One he almost certainly wouldn't have made if he wasn't there playing every day (read: buying bunches of tickets, even if over time).

Not that I'm advocating buying tons of tickets. Buying piles of tickets hasn't done much for all of us. It does make it more likely that lightning will strike, though.

Mr. Gray -  BIG JIM only buys ONE ticket a day - his luck is something out of a book - last month he bought one $20GR for $1K - couple weeks ago he got $1K on a $5 puzzle - several $500's two months playing. Point being he is never in the hole with one ticket a day. Might sound fishy but I can vouch for him. Ive been there many times when he catches a good one...

Answer is there is no answer.

You said it was a "lucky pull " that applies to all winners of top prizes. They are not calculated on odds or a system . just "lucky pulls" :)

Last time I checked with Lottery - the ratio of self filled numbers vs quick picks on draw game winners was just about 50/50 - it did not show quick picks won overwhelmingly - there used to be a place on FlLottery site  that showed these ratios - can't remember how to get that page - check it out Mr Gray - see what it shows.

wins: $10,000 Jubilee - $5,000 $200MS - 32 $1k's - 185 $500's - 5 $400's

" ... some days you're the bug - some days you're the windshield ..."

Florida
          United States
          Member #172872
          February 7, 2016
          776 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2016, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Mr. Gray -  BIG JIM only buys ONE ticket a day - his luck is something out of a book - last month he bought one $20GR for $1K - couple weeks ago he got $1K on a $5 puzzle - several $500's two months playing. Point being he is never in the hole with one ticket a day. Might sound fishy but I can vouch for him. Ive been there many times when he catches a good one...

You said it was a "lucky pull " that applies to all winners of top prizes. They are not calculated on odds or a system . just "lucky pulls" :)

Last time I checked with Lottery - the ratio of self filled numbers vs quick picks on draw game winners was just about 50/50 - it did not show quick picks won overwhelmingly - there used to be a place on FlLottery site  that showed these ratios - can't remember how to get that page - check it out Mr Gray - see what it shows.

Honestly, that is so cool that Big Jim buys one a day. I remember you posting this years ago on this thread when I creeped on here. That's the definition of playing responsibility. 

We sometimes think buying more = better chances of winning, but playing casually with one or two at a time is a way to "stay in it to win it" without going broke. Buying more increases odds of winning (marginally), but almost certainly assumes the game "host" or Florida Lottery will make their money back from you (eventually). Buying one or two a day like Big Jim is the way to do it, because if you strike big you can control it much more easily.

It is a smart approach, and I need to follow Jim's philosophy lol. I'm going to try buying 4-6 $20 Gold Rush tomorrow, but what I'll probably end up doing is taking my "lotto money" from my paycheck, and probably buy 1-2 $5 tickets a day.

jacksonville florida
            United States
            Member #174115
            April 4, 2016
            139 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2016, 9:04 am - IP Logged

Any followers from the Jacksonville area here? Do you prefer to use the vending machine or get from counter? Trying to find out if there are any hot spots in Jacksonville that seem to have the most winning scratch-offs coming from.

Thanks

Bke72$

Florida
              United States
              Member #167757
              July 29, 2015
              373 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2016, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I mentioned quick picks as having an overwhelming majority of wins because, while I too have read 50/50 over the years, I thought I'd seen something from the MUSL not long ago that reported the number moving closer to 80% in favor of quick picks (but still in line with % of purchases and therefore irrelevant, although there's an argument behind not buying quick picks at all because of significant duplication when considered en masse). I can't find a source, though, so let's say I retract the statement.

The point I was making, however, was just that your likelihood of winning is proportional to the amount that you play.

Wimauma, FL
                United States
                Member #168858
                September 20, 2015
                141 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2016, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Very very nicely said, Mr. Gray.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #172872
                  February 7, 2016
                  776 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2016, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Any followers from the Jacksonville area here? Do you prefer to use the vending machine or get from counter? Trying to find out if there are any hot spots in Jacksonville that seem to have the most winning scratch-offs coming from.

Thanks

Bke72$

I prefer the vending machines, personally. I think all places have hot and cold streaks (with the ladder being the most common of course). 

I played some $20 Gold Rush, $ 25FL Cash, and Misfortune today. I got crushed on those tickets. I played some $10 Holiday Gifts ($100 worth), and found $160 worth of winners with one ticket being a double $50. I played through almost the rest of the book, but then started encountering many duds and stopped.

Retailers are saying they can't order anymore $10 Holiday gift tickets, and that it is discontinued. If a jackpot isn't hit on it soon, I think we should assume the jackpots were lost, or destroyed.

Florida
                    United States
                    Member #171925
                    January 13, 2016
                    345 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2016, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I prefer the vending machines, personally. I think all places have hot and cold streaks (with the ladder being the most common of course). 

I played some $20 Gold Rush, $ 25FL Cash, and Misfortune today. I got crushed on those tickets. I played some $10 Holiday Gifts ($100 worth), and found $160 worth of winners with one ticket being a double $50. I played through almost the rest of the book, but then started encountering many duds and stopped.

Retailers are saying they can't order anymore $10 Holiday gift tickets, and that it is discontinued. If a jackpot isn't hit on it soon, I think we should assume the jackpots were lost, or destroyed.

I'm curious to see if the "can't order it" statement is accurate. I've had places tell me that before, then two weeks later they have the ticket we were talking about back in stock.

If that is accurate and this thing goes without the jackpots being sold I'm gonna be pissed. Also, I have at least 3 stores I know that carry it (maybe 4) so I'll check them when one runs out.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #172872
                      February 7, 2016
                      776 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2016, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I'm curious to see if the "can't order it" statement is accurate. I've had places tell me that before, then two weeks later they have the ticket we were talking about back in stock.

If that is accurate and this thing goes without the jackpots being sold I'm gonna be pissed. Also, I have at least 3 stores I know that carry it (maybe 4) so I'll check them when one runs out.

Yeah, I've heard this before as well. With the low amount of them remaining, it wouldn't surprise me if this was their last shipment of $10 Holiday gifts to stores that wanted it. Maybe I'll call the Jacksonville regional office to confirm. The two stores I visited today that told me they couldn't order it anymore are stores which the owner(s) intentionally order the $10 Holiday Gift ticket as a personal preference (because of the perceived likelihood of it being overdue for a jackpot hit). I believe these particular store reps. It could differ by region, for example the south Florida regional offices might still have a decent amount of books of the $10 Holiday Gifts and may still be able to continue to ship it out for a while. The stock may only be depleted from the Jacksonville regional office, which I presume is where Jacksonville stores get their $10 Holiday Gifts books. 

I hear you. I'll be extremely annoyed, especially considering how much money many of us spent on this game. With it being a $10 ticket, the chances of someone missing a number and it being thrown away is very possible. I also think there's a good possibility a store that wanted to "get rid of it" for being a holiday ticket with low sales and having the remainder of their open book (which may have had a jackpot) is also possible. Around Jan- Feb of this year, many stores in my area suddenly "got rid" of their Holiday Gift tickets at the same time. Seems like those tickets were deactivated, and I assume a fair portion of tickets were tossed/deactivated after New Years and the holiday season was over. Alot of lotto players don't like playing Christmas themed tickets, oddly (despite the $10 ticket never yielding a jackpot winner...). Additionally, the nature of it being a "holiday" themed ticket could mean that a jackpot ticket was gifted and perhaps the recipient lost or wasn't interested in scratching it.. There's been several times where I've missed a single number match on this game, and then double checked my losing pile and found winners of $10-$30.

Florida
                        United States
                        Member #167757
                        July 29, 2015
                        373 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2016, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I've heard this before as well. With the low amount of them remaining, it wouldn't surprise me if this was their last shipment of $10 Holiday gifts to stores that wanted it. Maybe I'll call the Jacksonville regional office to confirm. The two stores I visited today that told me they couldn't order it anymore are stores which the owner(s) intentionally order the $10 Holiday Gift ticket as a personal preference (because of the perceived likelihood of it being overdue for a jackpot hit). I believe these particular store reps. It could differ by region, for example the south Florida regional offices might still have a decent amount of books of the $10 Holiday Gifts and may still be able to continue to ship it out for a while. The stock may only be depleted from the Jacksonville regional office, which I presume is where Jacksonville stores get their $10 Holiday Gifts books. 

I hear you. I'll be extremely annoyed, especially considering how much money many of us spent on this game. With it being a $10 ticket, the chances of someone missing a number and it being thrown away is very possible. I also think there's a good possibility a store that wanted to "get rid of it" for being a holiday ticket with low sales and having the remainder of their open book (which may have had a jackpot) is also possible. Around Jan- Feb of this year, many stores in my area suddenly "got rid" of their Holiday Gift tickets at the same time. Seems like those tickets were deactivated, and I assume a fair portion of tickets were tossed/deactivated after New Years and the holiday season was over. Alot of lotto players don't like playing Christmas themed tickets, oddly (despite the $10 ticket never yielding a jackpot winner...). Additionally, the nature of it being a "holiday" themed ticket could mean that a jackpot ticket was gifted and perhaps the recipient lost or wasn't interested in scratching it.. There's been several times where I've missed a single number match on this game, and then double checked my losing pile and found winners of $10-$30.

Neither the regional District Offices nor the main headquarters (which is a DO itself) send tickets to retailers. What books they have, they keep and sell themselves. Tickets are delivered to retailers from a warehouse managed by a third party. The only exception to this, which I've had explained to me but never been able to verify by seeing in practice, is that sometimes a Lottery rep will take an unopened book from one store where it's been sitting for a long time and personally transfer it to a higher-volume seller more likely to get it sold. Unopened books returned to the warehouse by retailers are put back into the regular distribution pipeline.

Also, I can further confirm that the $10 Holiday Gifts tickets have be unorderable by stores for quite a while. The tickets that're out in the field are all that's left. And while I like to think there might be one of the two top prizes still in the wild, it's possible they were both destroyed. When the $10 Multiplier tickets were released Lottery reps forced (they'd probably say "encouraged" but every retailer tells me they don't really get a choice) retailers to replace $10 Holiday Gifts with the new tickets. This happens with pretty much every new game on release, and I've had many retailers comment on it. Why I think the prizes in this particular game might've been destroyed has to do with what tends to happen with the larger retailers, like Publix, who [are made to] actually take down open books and return them when such overlaps occur (new tickets at the same price level being released), rather than waiting for the open books to sell out first. Smaller retailers I've had say things like, "Oh, yeah, we have the new tickets, but we're just waiting for a space to open up when one of the others at the same price sells out." It seems the Lottery reps are a little more lax about making the smaller places like convenience stores put up new tickets immediately at the cost of current tickets getting destroyed (without being scanned and having their prizes removed from the pool, I might add, something I think should be illegal). But the ones that were sent back by larger vendors, only to be subsequently destroyed, probably account for an awful lot of tickets.

One winner might yet be out there, but I've been saying that about $200MS for a long time (and through a pile of purchases) and that's all but gone with the top prizes going unchanged. Said it about 100X The Cash for a long time too, and that's definitely gone, with quite a few big prizes unclaimed. Anyway, I'll still pick up a couple $10 Holiday Gifts tickets here and there when I see them. The $20+ tickets hate me anyway.

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #171925
                          January 13, 2016
                          345 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2016, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Neither the regional District Offices nor the main headquarters (which is a DO itself) send tickets to retailers. What books they have, they keep and sell themselves. Tickets are delivered to retailers from a warehouse managed by a third party. The only exception to this, which I've had explained to me but never been able to verify by seeing in practice, is that sometimes a Lottery rep will take an unopened book from one store where it's been sitting for a long time and personally transfer it to a higher-volume seller more likely to get it sold. Unopened books returned to the warehouse by retailers are put back into the regular distribution pipeline.

Also, I can further confirm that the $10 Holiday Gifts tickets have be unorderable by stores for quite a while. The tickets that're out in the field are all that's left. And while I like to think there might be one of the two top prizes still in the wild, it's possible they were both destroyed. When the $10 Multiplier tickets were released Lottery reps forced (they'd probably say "encouraged" but every retailer tells me they don't really get a choice) retailers to replace $10 Holiday Gifts with the new tickets. This happens with pretty much every new game on release, and I've had many retailers comment on it. Why I think the prizes in this particular game might've been destroyed has to do with what tends to happen with the larger retailers, like Publix, who [are made to] actually take down open books and return them when such overlaps occur (new tickets at the same price level being released), rather than waiting for the open books to sell out first. Smaller retailers I've had say things like, "Oh, yeah, we have the new tickets, but we're just waiting for a space to open up when one of the others at the same price sells out." It seems the Lottery reps are a little more lax about making the smaller places like convenience stores put up new tickets immediately at the cost of current tickets getting destroyed (without being scanned and having their prizes removed from the pool, I might add, something I think should be illegal). But the ones that were sent back by larger vendors, only to be subsequently destroyed, probably account for an awful lot of tickets.

One winner might yet be out there, but I've been saying that about $200MS for a long time (and through a pile of purchases) and that's all but gone with the top prizes going unchanged. Said it about 100X The Cash for a long time too, and that's definitely gone, with quite a few big prizes unclaimed. Anyway, I'll still pick up a couple $10 Holiday Gifts tickets here and there when I see them. The $20+ tickets hate me anyway.

There's some disconnect somewhere because the store I normally get my $10 Holiday at, has been getting new shipments each week. It's a low volume store for most of their tickets, but they have a few people who come in just for the $10 Holiday, so the owner keeps ordering it. That you've been told stores haven't been able to order it for for quite a while is incorrect or else my main source for them would be out of them.

Also, not all Publix's are forced to do what you described. I have a Publix near me that carries a ridiculous number of #1 tickets and then they also carry a lot of older $2 tickets, some older ones. The other Publix I normally go to doesn't have a lot of the games this one does. Their machines are setup the same, exactly, but the case at the counter is different. The first Publix I mentioned was carrying $10 Holidays as recently as April or early May and frequently has King's Ransom, Escape to Margaritaville, and The Price is Right tickets. They also had the $200k Lucky for Life ticket last time I was there about a week ago. So while I agree Publix's generally carry the same tickets and do what they're forced to - this isn't true for all of them.

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #167757
                            July 29, 2015
                            373 Posts
                            Posted: June 4, 2016, 1:53 am - IP Logged

There's some disconnect somewhere because the store I normally get my $10 Holiday at, has been getting new shipments each week. It's a low volume store for most of their tickets, but they have a few people who come in just for the $10 Holiday, so the owner keeps ordering it. That you've been told stores haven't been able to order it for for quite a while is incorrect or else my main source for them would be out of them.

Also, not all Publix's are forced to do what you described. I have a Publix near me that carries a ridiculous number of #1 tickets and then they also carry a lot of older $2 tickets, some older ones. The other Publix I normally go to doesn't have a lot of the games this one does. Their machines are setup the same, exactly, but the case at the counter is different. The first Publix I mentioned was carrying $10 Holidays as recently as April or early May and frequently has King's Ransom, Escape to Margaritaville, and The Price is Right tickets. They also had the $200k Lucky for Life ticket last time I was there about a week ago. So while I agree Publix's generally carry the same tickets and do what they're forced to - this isn't true for all of them.

It's worth mentioning that there are two ways to order tickets. Most vendors only know about the first.

The first way is to print an "Orderable Games" list from their lottery machines and use that list to place orders. Most of the retailers I've spoken to use this, and it's this list that the $10 Holiday Gifts has been mostly absent from for a while. Occasionally the game might pop up on there if the warehouse takes in a bunch of unopened books from retailers that didn't want them anymore, but that's hit or miss.

The other way to order, which the store you described might be aware of (again, most of them aren't), is to call the warehouse directly and ask for a specific game. If they only have a few books lying around, they'll wait for someone to call in this way. Moreover, if a particular store is still moving an otherwise dying game like this one, they can notify the warehouse ahead of time that they're interested in returned books to expedite the process. If a store is still receiving regular shipments of a game that isn't on the Orderable Games printout, this is how they're getting it (if they have a particularly good relationship with their local Lottery Rep it's also possible the rep is managing this for them in the background and the store is just telling the rep about their interest).

I got a good education on these processes while spending the latter part of last year chasing down 100X tickets and trying to understand why some stores could still get them when it seemed everyone else was saying it was impossible.

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #171925
                              January 13, 2016
                              345 Posts
                              Posted: June 4, 2016, 11:56 am - IP Logged

It's worth mentioning that there are two ways to order tickets. Most vendors only know about the first.

The first way is to print an "Orderable Games" list from their lottery machines and use that list to place orders. Most of the retailers I've spoken to use this, and it's this list that the $10 Holiday Gifts has been mostly absent from for a while. Occasionally the game might pop up on there if the warehouse takes in a bunch of unopened books from retailers that didn't want them anymore, but that's hit or miss.

The other way to order, which the store you described might be aware of (again, most of them aren't), is to call the warehouse directly and ask for a specific game. If they only have a few books lying around, they'll wait for someone to call in this way. Moreover, if a particular store is still moving an otherwise dying game like this one, they can notify the warehouse ahead of time that they're interested in returned books to expedite the process. If a store is still receiving regular shipments of a game that isn't on the Orderable Games printout, this is how they're getting it (if they have a particularly good relationship with their local Lottery Rep it's also possible the rep is managing this for them in the background and the store is just telling the rep about their interest).

I got a good education on these processes while spending the latter part of last year chasing down 100X tickets and trying to understand why some stores could still get them when it seemed everyone else was saying it was impossible.

MrGray:

It's definitely off the orderable list now. I had a Publix and the place I get my $10 Holidays from each print the list. (I had them both print it to see if there was a difference between locations. There isn't, they were identical). They must have the rep helping them get them. Alternatively, I have had stores tell me that sometimes they get games they didn't order - so possibly even though it's not orderable, FL Lotto is just going to push it to whoever they want?

Based on this list of orderable games I compiled two lists. List of orderable games and list of not-orderable games (both of these lists exclude the current "ending games"). Listed below.

Orderable games:

7016 ELECTRIC 8S

5010 WHEEL OF FORTUNE

5007 FLAMINGO

5006 BEJEWELED DIAMOND PAYOUT

1314 $1,000,000 CASHWORD

1308 CROSSWORD DOUBLER

1307 SUPER 7'S

1306 BLACKJACK

1305 EA$Y MONEY

1304 TRIPLE CASH

1303 $10,000,000 FORTUNE