Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Scratch Offs - Post Pictures if posible

5299 replies. Last post 4 hours ago by lucid850.

Page 216 of 354
PrintE-mailLink
Jacksonville
United States
Member #153806
March 26, 2014
345 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2016, 7:01 am - IP Logged

Have a question that some of you might be able to help me with..

They automatically took 25% for taxes.  Everything I was reading had me expecting to pay 39.6%.

They said nothing else about taxes... Should I be expecting to pay another 14.9% in tax at some point? Thats about $165k...

@Adam, thank you for the info on the roll number.  That tells me that I am going to want to focus my attention on rolls with a serial number of 60,000 or less. 

With regard to your taxes, the lottery withholds a standard 25%.  However, when you file your income tax return for 2016, you will report the entire $1.5M lump sum received as Line 21 Other Income on Form 1040.  If you itemize your deductions, you will be able to claim your losses on lottery tickets this year as an itemized deduction.  Your actual tax rate will not be as high as 39.6% because the tax rates are graduated (meaning they start low and get higher as your income increases).  Assuming you file a joint tax return with your spouse, you are not subject to the 39.6% tax rate until your joint income exceeds $466,950 for 2016.  Your income below that amount is taxed at lower rates. 

When you combine the lower taxed income with the income in excess of $466,950 taxed at 39.6%, your actual tax rate may be closer to 35%.  You should set aside probably about $120k more to comfortably pay the remaining tax bill when you file your tax return next year.  The good news is that each $1 of losses equals a tax savings of 39.6 cents.  So if your lottery ticket purchases for the year total $10,000.  That should save you approximately $3,960 in taxes.  Not a huge sum, but every bit helps. 

The IRS has a useful tax calculator which should give you an idea of your tax bill at year end. The website is:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/

Florida
    United States
    Member #172872
    February 7, 2016
    615 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2016, 7:22 am - IP Logged

Hey everyone! We made it home.  What a whirlwind past 48 or so hours..  For those curious about the tickets serial number it was

1292-0111815-3-059 

I am still completely stunned and cant even explain how im feeling. Its almost like a traumatic experience, but in a good way. lol..

Maybe it will sink in at some point soon, but wow... just..... wow...

I bet, I can only imagine it must still feel like a dream. Thanks for posting the serial number of the book. We're so happy for you and your wife Adam, and it is so cool to have it be someone who has been devoting so much time and money playing this game instead of a random tourist. Honestly, knowing that a top prize actually existed gives everyone hope. =p

On another note, if this helps anyone playing $10 Holiday Gifts...

I purchased some tickets in Jacksonville Arlington last week with a serial code of 1292-0112951-9-56, and 1292-0084155-9-023037. The distribution numbers I've found tend to be in the later range, but I'm sure it is certainly possible to find some prior to 60,000. There are still quite a few food stores that have the $10 Holiday Gifts ticket, particularly "Bryant's Food Store" downtown toward the Matthew's Bridge. I haven't played any there in about a week, but I know that game runs really slow and that store loves to stock books of that game.

Maybe the Jacksonville District office has $10 Holiday Gifts with a distribution number less than 60,000? Someone recently found a $1 million dollar prize while enroute cashing in two $1000 winners. It wouldn't surprise me if the last Holiday Gifts ticket were also at a district office, especially considering the large number of books the Jacksonville office still has.

Edit: I double checked my big pile of losers, and I believe I found some Holiday Tickets in the 20k, and 50k distribution number. If my memory serves me correctly, those tickets came from the Jax district office.

Florida
      United States
      Member #167757
      July 29, 2015
      362 Posts
      Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

@Adam, thank you for the info on the roll number.  That tells me that I am going to want to focus my attention on rolls with a serial number of 60,000 or less. 

With regard to your taxes, the lottery withholds a standard 25%.  However, when you file your income tax return for 2016, you will report the entire $1.5M lump sum received as Line 21 Other Income on Form 1040.  If you itemize your deductions, you will be able to claim your losses on lottery tickets this year as an itemized deduction.  Your actual tax rate will not be as high as 39.6% because the tax rates are graduated (meaning they start low and get higher as your income increases).  Assuming you file a joint tax return with your spouse, you are not subject to the 39.6% tax rate until your joint income exceeds $466,950 for 2016.  Your income below that amount is taxed at lower rates. 

When you combine the lower taxed income with the income in excess of $466,950 taxed at 39.6%, your actual tax rate may be closer to 35%.  You should set aside probably about $120k more to comfortably pay the remaining tax bill when you file your tax return next year.  The good news is that each $1 of losses equals a tax savings of 39.6 cents.  So if your lottery ticket purchases for the year total $10,000.  That should save you approximately $3,960 in taxes.  Not a huge sum, but every bit helps. 

The IRS has a useful tax calculator which should give you an idea of your tax bill at year end. The website is:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/

Gatorsrok is spot on here. (Great post.)

EMTAdam, the only thing I'd add, which I'm sure you've already considered, is to sit down with a good financial advisor. It'll be worth far more than the cost of the consultation. 

Gatorsrok, I went through my duds on the $10 Holiday Gifts game for the last couple months. Not a ticket among them from a book below 70k. I had to go into a much older box of duds from around release time of the game to find books in the 10k-50k range. It'll be interesting to see if there are any early books still hiding out there.

For me, especially since I've bought out every $200MS ticket within an hour's drive of Tallahassee, the game to play now is 50X. I know a couple folks here have said they're still seeing them around, but I've visited a lot of places and am finding them nowhere. The only place near me I know to have any is the ticket office at Lotto HQ. Next week I'll request a state-wide list of retailers for the game. If anyone's interested, PM me with your email and I'll forward it to you when I have it.

FL
        United States
        Member #168858
        September 20, 2015
        131 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

For those who seem to be convinced that it's not likely that the remaining top prize may also be in the higher ticket number range, please explain your rationale behind that line of thinking.  The 2nd winner could easily also be in the current range of tickets in distribution.

Florida
          United States
          Member #167757
          July 29, 2015
          362 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

For those who seem to be convinced that it's not likely that the remaining top prize may also be in the higher ticket number range, please explain your rationale behind that line of thinking.  The 2nd winner could easily also be in the current range of tickets in distribution.

This expectation is related to following the winners of prior games. While the Lottery doesn't control exactly which books contain top prizes or exactly which retailers get those books, they do seem to have the game developers/printers strategically stagger the distribution of top prizes in order to keep the games alive and not potentially lose the massive investment a given game is by having all the top prizes claimed in the first X-number of weeks, etc, of a game.

That said, it's not absolutely certain that the other winner for the $10 Gifts game is on a much lower book number, but given past games, it is very likely. It's also possible that ticket is A) destroyed, B) in a land fill, C) sitting in someone's losers stack because it wasn't checked closely. Regardless, the only way I'll buy into a roll (if I find another one) is if it's a much lower book number than the one on EMTAdam's winning ticket.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
            Jacksonville Florida
            United States
            Member #23018
            October 6, 2005
            918 Posts
            Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Since the $10 Holiday game had two major groups of tickets (each group with 1 top prize), the other top prize is in the first group of tickets. Some of the older tickets may still be out there...

Florida
              United States
              Member #172872
              February 7, 2016
              615 Posts
              Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

This expectation is related to following the winners of prior games. While the Lottery doesn't control exactly which books contain top prizes or exactly which retailers get those books, they do seem to have the game developers/printers strategically stagger the distribution of top prizes in order to keep the games alive and not potentially lose the massive investment a given game is by having all the top prizes claimed in the first X-number of weeks, etc, of a game.

That said, it's not absolutely certain that the other winner for the $10 Gifts game is on a much lower book number, but given past games, it is very likely. It's also possible that ticket is A) destroyed, B) in a land fill, C) sitting in someone's losers stack because it wasn't checked closely. Regardless, the only way I'll buy into a roll (if I find another one) is if it's a much lower book number than the one on EMTAdam's winning ticket.

And I think it is a fair expectation. 

Many of us were in doubt about whether or not a jackpot prize was out there on the $10 Holiday Gifts because of how long it has been since release without any being found. I agree with PendingSector that it is possible that this particular game's jackpot distribution was irregular, and that there may be another jackpot awaiting to be claimed. 

I personally have missed single number winners on $10 Holiday Gifts in the past, and I consider myself really thorough with double checking tickets. I'd imagine the last prize has a good chance of being destroyed/lost (in someone's pile of losers, perhaps). Or, maybe it is awaiting to be hit. The uncertainty, for me personally, makes it a game that I'm now going to avoid. 

Gray, I know of places in Jacksonville that have 50x tickets. Which part of FL are you in? 

Also, does anyone else find the Escape to Margaritaville's 5/10 prizes remaining interesting? The last hit was in 2014 if I'm not mistaken. In my opinion, it is fairly hard to miss a winner on a $5 ticket. I'd be willing to bet at least a few of those top prizes are out there, and that this ticket has been underselling partially due to the second chance promotion ending on it. Margaritaville, and other $5 games with many jackpots remaining are going to be my focus tickets now whenever I have cash.

Florida
                United States
                Member #172872
                February 7, 2016
                615 Posts
                Posted: June 11, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Since the $10 Holiday game had two major groups of tickets (each group with 1 top prize), the other top prize is in the first group of tickets. Some of the older tickets may still be out there...

Potentially. After looking at the $10 Holiday Gifts I got from the Jacksonville regional office, they fall under the 20k-50k distribution range. Gators posted saying the Jacksonville office has a healthy number of books available.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #171925
                  January 13, 2016
                  316 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2016, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I agree with this. Look at the $5 Holiday game. It ran out of grand prizes in mid or early January, and is still being sold through mid June. They don't necessarily get evenly distributed, and if things are as random as they are supposed to be, there isn't anything forcing the algorithm to print them in certain areas. Also look at some of the other new games, especially $5 ones, which have a bunch of prizes go up front and then less later.

Florida
                    United States
                    Member #171925
                    January 13, 2016
                    316 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2016, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

And I think it is a fair expectation. 

Many of us were in doubt about whether or not a jackpot prize was out there on the $10 Holiday Gifts because of how long it has been since release without any being found. I agree with PendingSector that it is possible that this particular game's jackpot distribution was irregular, and that there may be another jackpot awaiting to be claimed. 

I personally have missed single number winners on $10 Holiday Gifts in the past, and I consider myself really thorough with double checking tickets. I'd imagine the last prize has a good chance of being destroyed/lost (in someone's pile of losers, perhaps). Or, maybe it is awaiting to be hit. The uncertainty, for me personally, makes it a game that I'm now going to avoid. 

Gray, I know of places in Jacksonville that have 50x tickets. Which part of FL are you in? 

Also, does anyone else find the Escape to Margaritaville's 5/10 prizes remaining interesting? The last hit was in 2014 if I'm not mistaken. In my opinion, it is fairly hard to miss a winner on a $5 ticket. I'd be willing to bet at least a few of those top prizes are out there, and that this ticket has been underselling partially due to the second chance promotion ending on it. Margaritaville, and other $5 games with many jackpots remaining are going to be my focus tickets now whenever I have cash.

That is what I'm doing Dracos. Focusing on $5 tickets, as always, specifically Escape to Margaritaville. There's still prizes out there, I had 2 $100 winners in the span of 6 tickets on it the other day and this roll's total prizes broke $300, or came real close. I bought most of the tickets on the roll and besides those 2 $100s I also had a $20, $25, $15, 2 $10s as well as at least 2 $5s. And those are just the ones I can say with certainty. Hoping this roll is still where I left it when I get back to it tomorrow. 6 left on it, low sales place.

Anyways, yah. Escape and King's Ransom - though I'm less excited about this one since it's easier for people to overlook a grand prize on it.

Also, oddly I noticed today that the Wheel of Fortunes are being printed differently for the bar code. It now has the white background behind it. I assume that any with the white background for the bar code are off the second run of the tickets as it'd be weird for them to change it in mid-run of the first set.

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #172872
                      February 7, 2016
                      615 Posts
                      Posted: June 11, 2016, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

That is what I'm doing Dracos. Focusing on $5 tickets, as always, specifically Escape to Margaritaville. There's still prizes out there, I had 2 $100 winners in the span of 6 tickets on it the other day and this roll's total prizes broke $300, or came real close. I bought most of the tickets on the roll and besides those 2 $100s I also had a $20, $25, $15, 2 $10s as well as at least 2 $5s. And those are just the ones I can say with certainty. Hoping this roll is still where I left it when I get back to it tomorrow. 6 left on it, low sales place.

Anyways, yah. Escape and King's Ransom - though I'm less excited about this one since it's easier for people to overlook a grand prize on it.

Also, oddly I noticed today that the Wheel of Fortunes are being printed differently for the bar code. It now has the white background behind it. I assume that any with the white background for the bar code are off the second run of the tickets as it'd be weird for them to change it in mid-run of the first set.

Nice $100 hits Ghost, and wishing you the best of luck. I hope you hit something huge on the Margaritaville. Smile

As far as the Wheel of Fortune bar codes being printed differently, I remember talking to a retailer who was complaining about how many lottery scanners across the state had difficulty being scanned (literally could take 5-10 mins to scan a single ticket!). My guess is that the new bar codes/reprint is a fix to that problem.

What are your thoughts about why there hasn't been any hits on Margaritaville, or King's Ransom in some long?

The last King's Ransom jackpot claim was May 2013, and Margaritaville was Sept 2014. Maybe a large portion of the stock shifted away into warehouses/storage because of newer tickets that were selling faster? I saw on Margaritaville that there was a 2nd chance drawing, so I assume that hype must have resulted in a good amount of sales during that period. I didn't play the lottery in 2014, so I don't remember what the release was like or have any theories as to what happened. I agree with you that King's Ransom wins could be easier to miss for people than other $5 tickets.

Florida
                        United States
                        Member #171925
                        January 13, 2016
                        316 Posts
                        Posted: June 11, 2016, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Nice $100 hits Ghost, and wishing you the best of luck. I hope you hit something huge on the Margaritaville. Smile

As far as the Wheel of Fortune bar codes being printed differently, I remember talking to a retailer who was complaining about how many lottery scanners across the state had difficulty being scanned (literally could take 5-10 mins to scan a single ticket!). My guess is that the new bar codes/reprint is a fix to that problem.

What are your thoughts about why there hasn't been any hits on Margaritaville, or King's Ransom in some long?

The last King's Ransom jackpot claim was May 2013, and Margaritaville was Sept 2014. Maybe a large portion of the stock shifted away into warehouses/storage because of newer tickets that were selling faster? I saw on Margaritaville that there was a 2nd chance drawing, so I assume that hype must have resulted in a good amount of sales during that period. I didn't play the lottery in 2014, so I don't remember what the release was like or have any theories as to what happened. I agree with you that King's Ransom wins could be easier to miss for people than other $5 tickets.

Oh I'm sure that's why they added in the white background. All I was saying was that WoF was reordered so I assume that any tickets with the white background are off the reorder - not off the original run. I didn't have a hard time scanning these myself on the customer scanner, but when I get those new blue $2 ones, those don't scan easily at all.

My only guess on Margaritaville is that the second chance ended, interest died down, and new tickets came out. Also maybe just a weird distribution of the grand prizes - this is what I'm hoping for. I've requested the instant liability report for this and King's Ransom. Hopefully they send it and when they do maybe we can make some safe assumptions based on it. King's Ransom .. I'm guessing at least one overlooked grand prize as well as lack of interest in a game that people are required to actually do some math for.

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #167757
                          July 29, 2015
                          362 Posts
                          Posted: June 11, 2016, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Margaritaville and King's Ransom are games I've picked up sporadically over the last year or so, thinking the same things you guys have in mind right now: they've got a good number of outstanding top prizes and none have been claimed for a long time. Neither game has done well for me. King's Ransom has been particularly bad (and I pay very close attention scratching those). I don't think I've seen more than $20 on either game.

Also, as has been mentioned, very few places carry them, which is likely responsible for the long wait between winners. They just don't sell like the other $5 tickets (and there are an awful lot of them to choose from).

The other ticket (besides $200MS and 50X) that I think is really due is the $2M Jackpot. It's been over a year since the fifth of it's six prizes was claimed. I haven't asked for the list of retailers carrying it, but just from the stops I've made while chasing other tickets, it's got to be close to sold out. I know of one place nearby that has about half a roll left; maybe tomorrow I'll go grab a bunch, see if some of EMTAdam's luck will rub off. :)

I've also seen some banners out for the new set of Monopoly games. Anyone know exactly when they get released?

Cape Coral
                            United States
                            Member #173988
                            March 28, 2016
                            216 Posts
                            Posted: June 11, 2016, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys... I thought you might be interested to know that I just found a store that had 39 tickets left of the Holiday Gifts. I bought them all, and although no big winners, I did notice something interesting... The serial number....

1292-0049688-5

This appears to be a very low series number book. I didnt stick around to ask if they had any more of them, but now im wondering if I should take a ride back to the store and see....   What are the odds of 2 jackpots being in the same county, within about 20 miles of each other, being found by the same person within a matter of days?  hahahahahahaha 

But, it does go to show that the low series books are still out there!

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #167757
                              July 29, 2015
                              362 Posts
                              Posted: June 11, 2016, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys... I thought you might be interested to know that I just found a store that had 39 tickets left of the Holiday Gifts. I bought them all, and although no big winners, I did notice something interesting... The serial number....

1292-0049688-5

This appears to be a very low series number book. I didnt stick around to ask if they had any more of them, but now im wondering if I should take a ride back to the store and see....   What are the odds of 2 jackpots being in the same county, within about 20 miles of each other, being found by the same person within a matter of days?  hahahahahahaha 

But, it does go to show that the low series books are still out there!

It would be nuts if you managed both winners!

For what's it worth I did some checking in and around Tallahassee today (went out to Monticello and Havana as well) and I found nine open books of $10 Holiday Gifts. Only bought a few tickets among them (duds) when the attending clerks couldn't understand what I was saying on how to read out the book numbers, but I asked in every case and the lowest book number I found was in the 77k range.

By the way EMTAdam, if you haven't posted your winning ticket in the main scratch ticket results thread, I'm sure there are folks there that would like to see it who probably don't visit the Florida thread.

Page 216 of 354