Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is the Ohio Classic Lotto so difficult to win?

Topic closed. 192 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 10 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Member #128906
June 5, 2012
591 Posts
Posted: May 14, 2014, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

I refuse to play OCL because the second tier amounts are a joke.  The odds are very slim that anyone will win a jackpot prize, however, I'd rather win a mm or pb second tier amount.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: May 14, 2014, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I refuse to play OCL because the second tier amounts are a joke.  The odds are very slim that anyone will win a jackpot prize, however, I'd rather win a mm or pb second tier amount.

"The odds are very slim that anyone will win a jackpot prize, however, I'd rather win a mm or pb second tier amount."

The $1 million second tier in MM has worse odds than this jackpot, and dollar-for-dollar the odds for second tier in PB is only slightly better.

Why would you rather win 35 times less cash for worse/similar odds?? What?

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: May 14, 2014, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

A year heck, RJOh!  The last Ohio Classic jackpot win was December 07, 2011!!!  That equates to 2 years, 5 months, and 7 days.  Note that I am not complaining about winning the 70+ million jackpot.  I will humbly accept it and thank everyone who has donated  for the past two and a half years just for me.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Big Smile

True, but its jackpot has only been in the decent money range for about a year.  It took almost a year for its cash value to equal its odds of being won.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: May 14, 2014, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

It's time to win!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: May 14, 2014, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

It's time to win!

I Agree! and in an hour or two I'll start picking some combinations to play in tonight's drawing which takes place in about four hours.  Good luck.

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4107 Posts
            Posted: May 14, 2014, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

"The odds are very slim that anyone will win a jackpot prize, however, I'd rather win a mm or pb second tier amount."

The $1 million second tier in MM has worse odds than this jackpot, and dollar-for-dollar the odds for second tier in PB is only slightly better.

Why would you rather win 35 times less cash for worse/similar odds?? What?

"The odds are very slim that anyone will win a jackpot prize, however, I'd rather win a mm or pb second tier amount."

l agree 100% with you Ol Chap..but as they say " If Wishes Were Horses-Beggars would ride"

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5595 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2014, 10:41 am - IP Logged

The second tier prizes in state lotto games usually are small, because it's the jackpots that attract players. If they allocated more money for the second tier prizes, the jackpots would be much smaller, and take even longer to grow. I don't play for the second tier prizes, but I sure wouldn't turn them down either.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7308 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2014, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

The second tier prizes in state lotto games usually are small, because it's the jackpots that attract players. If they allocated more money for the second tier prizes, the jackpots would be much smaller, and take even longer to grow. I don't play for the second tier prizes, but I sure wouldn't turn them down either.

At one time matching 5 out of 6 in the Ohio Lotto game was paid pari-mutual and some drawings paid $2000 and others $750 or less. I believe the secondary prizes are the probable reason for low sales volume.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: May 17, 2014, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

At one time matching 5 out of 6 in the Ohio Lotto game was paid pari-mutual and some drawings paid $2000 and others $750 or less. I believe the secondary prizes are the probable reason for low sales volume.

At one time matching 5 out of 6 in the Ohio Lotto game was paid pari-mutual

When was that?  Until Rolling Cash5 came along all Ohio games except the jackpots of their anchor game had fixed prize amounts unless all the prizes exceeded the cap and I only remember that happening once when a guy brought 20 Buckeye5 tickets matching all five numbers on each.  He expected to get the fixed amount of $100K for each winning ticket but the cap was one million dollars so the state went pari-mutual.  Although the cap was mention on the play slips, he sued and lost.

I remember the old Super Lotto Plus game being 6/49+1 and a 5/6+1 match might have paid $2000 but a 5/6+0 always paid $1500 like Classic Lotto does today.

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #136507
                    December 12, 2012
                    55 Posts
                    Posted: May 17, 2014, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

I suppose its because odds are more favorable for such a large jackpot. But that's funny how no ones won in such a long time with such good odds.  Maybe tonight's the night and I say that everytime there is a draw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: May 17, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I suppose its because odds are more favorable for such a large jackpot. But that's funny how no ones won in such a long time with such good odds.  Maybe tonight's the night and I say that everytime there is a draw.

Saturday night drawings usually have the largest payouts so I assume it's because that's when the most tickets are sold so tonight could be the night.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 17, 2014, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

Saturday night drawings usually have the largest payouts so I assume it's because that's when the most tickets are sold so tonight could be the night.

Let's make it rain up in here!   Hurray!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4107 Posts
                          Posted: May 17, 2014, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

l am hoping one or two of lottery post regulars will wins the OCL - and when they do they will say.....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: May 18, 2014, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Let's make it rain up in here!   Hurray!

Those aren't rain drops, they're tear drops.  Classic Lotto kept on rolling. Disapprove

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7308 Posts
                              Posted: May 19, 2014, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

At one time matching 5 out of 6 in the Ohio Lotto game was paid pari-mutual

When was that?  Until Rolling Cash5 came along all Ohio games except the jackpots of their anchor game had fixed prize amounts unless all the prizes exceeded the cap and I only remember that happening once when a guy brought 20 Buckeye5 tickets matching all five numbers on each.  He expected to get the fixed amount of $100K for each winning ticket but the cap was one million dollars so the state went pari-mutual.  Although the cap was mention on the play slips, he sued and lost.

I remember the old Super Lotto Plus game being 6/49+1 and a 5/6+1 match might have paid $2000 but a 5/6+0 always paid $1500 like Classic Lotto does today.

The game was called Ohio Lotto, it was 6/40, and it and the 6/44 Super Lotto game that eventually replaced it in 1986 paid pari-mutual. When the pick-4 began it was only drawn 3 nights and it too was pari-mutual. When I just went to the Ohio Lottery website looking for their archives, I noticed that 8556 was drawn last night and it paid over $1000 for a box bet when it was first drawn in the 80s. The archives going back to 1979 are either no longer on the lottery site or they hid them pretty good because I can't find them.   

I remember the Buckeye 5 lawsuit over the payoff cap and the one against the store owner which was in doubt until witnesses testified the store owner gave the player a copy of the playing rules. I believe they even had it on tape. When it happened, I was trying to figure out why those five numbers had so much play and it never occurred to me all but one of those tickets belonged to one player because they only collect the $100,000 on ten tickets. The Ohio Lottery did the right thing by giving the other winner $100,000 too.

Page 10 of 13