Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is the Ohio Classic Lotto so difficult to win?

Topic closed. 192 replies. Last post 2 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 7 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2014, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

That's just it. Why pump up MM over OCL and send more money out of state?

For MM, about 1/3 of every dollar spent goes to the eventual-jackpot-winner retirement fund. And that winner rarely lives in Ohio, and won't pay income taxes or spend money there with the win.

Actually I think Ohio is trying to pump up its players to buy even more MM tickets with the hope of improving their chances of winning its jackpot more often and keeping that money in state as well as getting the additional money from the other sates for taxing locally.

A better strategy might be to pump up its players to buy more OCL tickets or revamp the games such that it could be won more often thus making it more attractive which might result in more of its tickets being sold.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2014, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Sales for last Ohio Classic Lotto draw were lower than both PB and MM, even though odds are better and JP is higher:

GameJPSales
    OCL$68.1M~$400K
    PB$40M$632K
    MM$59M$757K

In spite of those MM sales compared with OCL sales,  Ohio has a promotion during May to increase MM sales when its jackpot is less than $100M.  Wagering $2 on MM tickets on draw night between 7:30PM and 10:45PM when its jackpot is less than $100M will earn a free MM quick pick.

After 7:30 pm on Drawing nights only.

That sounds like a ploy to keep out-of-staters from getting the deal on the MM tickets.

Them dirty rats.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2014, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

After 7:30 pm on Drawing nights only.

That sounds like a ploy to keep out-of-staters from getting the deal on the MM tickets.

Them dirty rats.

When I use to buy tickets for PB in Indiana I always traveled on drawing nights, the only problem was Indiana had several time zones and the stores closed early.

At least all Ohio is on the same time and most of the stores and gas stations selling lottery tickets stay open until after the drawing.  Out of staters can still play but they will have to make a trip every night that they want to play.  Since MM is available in all the neighboring sates, would anyone travel to Ohio just to get a free MM ticket?(free ticket worth $1, gas for the trip worth $10)

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2014, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

When I use to buy tickets for PB in Indiana I always traveled on drawing nights, the only problem was Indiana had several time zones and the stores closed early.

At least all Ohio is on the same time and most of the stores and gas stations selling lottery tickets stay open until after the drawing.  Out of staters can still play but they will have to make a trip every night that they want to play.  Since MM is available in all the neighboring sates, would anyone travel to Ohio just to get a free MM ticket?(free ticket worth $1, gas for the trip worth $10)

I wonder if they'll let you buy multi-draws and still get the respective free tickets as long as you buy on a Drawing day after 7:30?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2014, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if they'll let you buy multi-draws and still get the respective free tickets as long as you buy on a Drawing day after 7:30?

They probably would but all the printed QPs would probably be for that night's drawing.  If I brought advance play I would try it to see what happened.

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4110 Posts
            Posted: May 4, 2014, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

They probably would but all the printed QPs would probably be for that night's drawing.  If I brought advance play I would try it to see what happened.

If I brought advance play I would try it to see what happened."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2014, 2:36 am - IP Logged

If I brought advance play I would try it to see what happened."

I use to buy advance tickets when I traveled out of state to play because I didn't like to make the trip more than a couple times a year.  Now since I can play all games locally I only play one drawing at a time.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2014, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I use to buy advance tickets when I traveled out of state to play because I didn't like to make the trip more than a couple times a year.  Now since I can play all games locally I only play one drawing at a time.

You're lucky.

In Tennessee, we still have to travel out of state to find decent state games and games that don't have fake computer drawings like we do.

A whole lot of people in East Tennessee go to Virginia to play their games for those reasons.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2014, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

You're lucky.

In Tennessee, we still have to travel out of state to find decent state games and games that don't have fake computer drawings like we do.

A whole lot of people in East Tennessee go to Virginia to play their games for those reasons.

Before Ohio added PowerBall and MegaMillions it had the same problem and seeing all those Ohio license plates at places across the boarder selling lottery tickets convinced them they had to do something different. 

Apparently for Tennessee players going out of state isn't a big problem or else it would be doing things differently too.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7322 Posts
                    Posted: May 5, 2014, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Actually I think Ohio is trying to pump up its players to buy even more MM tickets with the hope of improving their chances of winning its jackpot more often and keeping that money in state as well as getting the additional money from the other sates for taxing locally.

A better strategy might be to pump up its players to buy more OCL tickets or revamp the games such that it could be won more often thus making it more attractive which might result in more of its tickets being sold.

The OCL jackpot looks pretty good compared to other games, but the low sales volume might be because the secondary prizes. For the same $1 ticket price, MM players can win on average much larger jackpots and win $1 million or $10,000 compared to OCL's $1500. Do you think the Ohio Lottery will replace OCL with another game after the current jackpot is won?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: May 5, 2014, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

The OCL jackpot looks pretty good compared to other games, but the low sales volume might be because the secondary prizes. For the same $1 ticket price, MM players can win on average much larger jackpots and win $1 million or $10,000 compared to OCL's $1500. Do you think the Ohio Lottery will replace OCL with another game after the current jackpot is won?

I doubt if Ohio has any plans to replace OCL.  Its jackpot does look pretty good now compared to other jackpot games but it took a year for it to get to that point and after it's won it will take another year for it to get to that point again.

It probably would sell more tickets if the odds of winning and amounts of its lower tier prizes were like those of MM but I doubt if that will ever happen.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19831 Posts
                        Posted: May 5, 2014, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Tuesday may be the last night you can try 'cause I suspect MM jackpot will be $100M+ for a while after then.  Good luck to you. Wink

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: May 7, 2014, 7:09 am - IP Logged

Tuesday may be the last night you can try 'cause I suspect MM jackpot will be $100M+ for a while after then.  Good luck to you. Wink

Now that MM jackpot is greater $100M the free tickets deal is over for a while and we can get back to trying to win Ohio Classic Lotto.  Good luck everyone. Unhappy

Evil Looking       

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #129225
                            June 13, 2012
                            546 Posts
                            Posted: May 7, 2014, 7:11 am - IP Logged

We have come into more modern times and are uniform on Eastern Time!  Oh, with the exception of the northern cities up around Chicago and they remain on Central Time.  I guess we are a state divided!  LOL!

I live 21 miles to the closest Ohio lottery vendor and since we both now have MM and PB I have no desire to drive to Ohio to buy tickets there.  Even the lure of the Ohio Classic doesn't seem worth the drive.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: May 7, 2014, 7:24 am - IP Logged

We have come into more modern times and are uniform on Eastern Time!  Oh, with the exception of the northern cities up around Chicago and they remain on Central Time.  I guess we are a state divided!  LOL!

I live 21 miles to the closest Ohio lottery vendor and since we both now have MM and PB I have no desire to drive to Ohio to buy tickets there.  Even the lure of the Ohio Classic doesn't seem worth the drive.

"Even the lure of the Ohio Classic doesn't seem worth the drive."

Sounds like you are not completely convinced, you might buy a ticket or two if you found yourself at that vendor. Wink

Evil Looking       

Page 7 of 13