Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is the Ohio Classic Lotto so difficult to win?

Topic closed. 192 replies. Last post 3 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19894 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2014, 9:00 am - IP Logged

I live in ga. I flew up to buy 1 line for 10 draws

I live here so I'll be playing 10 lines for 1 draw.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
    Member #150370
    December 20, 2013
    451 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2014, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Have I won anything. Here's my numbers

06-07-18-32-34-49

Kicker number 535176

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2014, 9:14 am - IP Logged

The last time the Ohio Lottery jackpot was won was back on December 7 2011 when one ticket matched the six main numbers to win a jackpot worth $2.7 million.

Folks have won MM & PB jackpots with greater odds since 2011- whats the deal with the OCL? Perhaps Ohioans have given up trying- what be your theory apart from" They have not figured out the right combination yet!

Why? Kinda like I said before, low sales and bad luck.

There's only around $200-300K sales per draw, probably more like $300-400K now. That's half of what Ohioans spend on MM/PB even when the OCL JP is higher. That low sales only gives a few percent chance of a winner each draw. So the JP can continue rolling for a long time.

But at $42M per year, there has been more than $84M in total accumulated sales for OCL in this run, that's 6 times the odds. That's an unusual occurrence, as most lottos you would expect to be won by 2 or 3 times odds in total sales. So 6 times odds, that's like flipping a coin and having heads land 12 times in a row. It'll happen after enough flips, but it's rare.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:09 am - IP Logged

My personal theory is that the Ohio Lottery people saw jjtheprince's posts on how the lottery is too easy to win so they're not letting anybody win for a while.

Bummer, man.

Doggone him!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4144 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2014, 10:25 am - IP Logged

There's only around $200-300K sales per draw, probably more like $300-400K now. That's half of what Ohioans spend on MM/PB even when the OCL JP is higher. That low sales only gives a few percent chance of a winner each draw. So the JP can continue rolling for a long time.

But at $42M per year, there has been more than $84M in total accumulated sales for OCL in this run, that's 6 times the odds. That's an unusual occurrence, as most lottos you would expect to be won by 2 or 3 times odds in total sales. So 6 times odds, that's like flipping a coin and having heads land 12 times in a row. It'll happen after enough flips, but it's rare.

I think l am leaning towards Bad Luck on this one JD. If this State can win PB where the odds are greater, well you know the rest.
          Thanks all for your input everyone.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
            USA
            United States
            Member #152799
            February 25, 2014
            1095 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2014, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

There you go again not understanding basic math.

Seems like people in Ohio truly got it. Did you think about that?

Forget whether they have or haven't figured out the right combination, you can't even wipe the snot off your nose the correct way.

Basic math? what are you an idiot? MM has 258 million to 1 odds and PB has 175 million to 1 while OCL has less than 14 million to 1 odds.

The current cash value of OCL is almost 2.5 times the jackpot odds. PB has only had 2 instances in it's history in which the cash value was twice the odds while MM has only had one cash value jackpot which doubled the odds.

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
              USA
              United States
              Member #152799
              February 25, 2014
              1095 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2014, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

I live in ga. I flew up to buy 1 line for 10 draws

You're too intelligent for your good. Just stick to your pick 4 game as you had boasted in a different post about your incredible rate of success. A lucky man such as yourself is well on his way to becoming one of the wealthiest people on this planet. With your luck and know how, why even bother with any other kind of investments as your success rate makes Warren Buffett seem like a beginner.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19894 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2014, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Have I won anything. Here's my numbers

06-07-18-32-34-49

Kicker number 535176

You can check your results at the Ohio Lottery website.  It will also tell you if your combination has ever won in any of the past drawings too.  It might be a good idea to check the combinations you plan to play before your next trip to buy tickets since no winning combination has ever been drawn twice.  Good luck to you.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19894 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2014, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

You're too intelligent for your good. Just stick to your pick 4 game as you had boasted in a different post about your incredible rate of success. A lucky man such as yourself is well on his way to becoming one of the wealthiest people on this planet. With your luck and know how, why even bother with any other kind of investments as your success rate makes Warren Buffett seem like a beginner.

Are you sure Ilovecash3 is a man?  His/her logic sounds female.

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4144 Posts
                    Posted: April 21, 2014, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Are you sure Ilovecash3 is a man?  His/her logic sounds female.

I was told that every man has a " feminine side"... so Drenick1 is covering all the bases on this one RJOH.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                      NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12094 Posts
                      Posted: April 21, 2014, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

My personal theory is that the Ohio Lottery people saw jjtheprince's posts on how the lottery is too easy to win so they're not letting anybody win for a while.

Bummer, man.

Doggone him!

Did he play the Ohio Classic Lotto?

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7341 Posts
                        Posted: April 21, 2014, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

The same math is used as determining the chances of a MM or PB jackpot rolling or being won. OCL ticket sales are now about $350,000, but only covers about 2.5% of all the combinations and is equivalent of expecting a MM jackpot on ticket sales of $6,479,761. There is enough in ticket sales to sell each six number combo 6 times, but that's still about a 1 in 40 long shot.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7341 Posts
                          Posted: April 21, 2014, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

It's not the state population size that wins lotteries, it's ticket sales and Ohio is selling less than a million lines per drawing in a game that has almost 14 milliona possible combinations.  Their Rolling Cash5 game reached more than $860K recently before it was won.  Stuff like that happens with random games.  I'm sure players in neighboring states are starting to take notice and at some point they'll start playing too which will increase sales.

The 6/44 Super Lotto game was probably the most popular lotto type game in Ohio, but they change it to 6/53 with two plays for a buck and then went back to one play for a buck to 6/47 with minimum starting jackpots of $3 million. The Ohio Lottery went to 6/49 Super Lotto Plus with starting $4 million jackpots, but eliminated after it joining MM and replaced it with Lot 'O Play. The new Classic Lotto sales never really competed with MM and dropped some more when PB came on.

It's an option to playing MM, but it never caught on with the same people who lined up to buy Super Lotto tickets. With only about 2.5% of all combos being played each drawing, it might be a long time before somebody wins.

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: April 22, 2014, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Basic math? what are you an idiot? MM has 258 million to 1 odds and PB has 175 million to 1 while OCL has less than 14 million to 1 odds.

The current cash value of OCL is almost 2.5 times the jackpot odds. PB has only had 2 instances in it's history in which the cash value was twice the odds while MM has only had one cash value jackpot which doubled the odds.

Based on what you wrote, you have no clue of the context. Good morning America, how are ya?

Said don't you know me I'm your native son. I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done. lol

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19894 Posts
                              Posted: April 22, 2014, 10:33 am - IP Logged

The 6/44 Super Lotto game was probably the most popular lotto type game in Ohio, but they change it to 6/53 with two plays for a buck and then went back to one play for a buck to 6/47 with minimum starting jackpots of $3 million. The Ohio Lottery went to 6/49 Super Lotto Plus with starting $4 million jackpots, but eliminated after it joining MM and replaced it with Lot 'O Play. The new Classic Lotto sales never really competed with MM and dropped some more when PB came on.

It's an option to playing MM, but it never caught on with the same people who lined up to buy Super Lotto tickets. With only about 2.5% of all combos being played each drawing, it might be a long time before somebody wins.

The last time OCL jackpot was won it was only $2.7M and there couldn't have been more people buying tickets then than now.  I think it's just a matter of luck, it could be won after selling a hundred tickets or after selling a billion tickets.  You've got to be lucky to just match 3 for $2 if you're buying less than 25 tickets.

Evil Looking       

Page 2 of 13