Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: New National Game October 19th - Will You Play?

Topic closed. 94 replies. Last post 2 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

Will you play the upcoming national MONOPOLY Millionaires' Club game?

Definitely! [ 18 ]  [21.18%]
Maybe, I don't know. [ 21 ]  [24.71%]
No, $5 is too much for a ticket! [ 34 ]  [40.00%]
Depends on how it lives up to its claims. [ 12 ]  [14.12%]
Total Valid Votes [ 85 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
Romancandle's avatar - moon
Upacreek
United States
Member #136306
December 8, 2012
428 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2014, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Not in IL... so can't vote here...

Some folks on this site have often lamented about wanting to see more millionaires per multi state drawing games vs 1 winning the whole enchilada...well, here's your chance.

Monopoly brand is pretty popular and with a TV show to boot, I'd bet this new game will be a winner, at least in the short term.

I wonder what kind of effect this will have on MM and PB sales?

$5 to get buy in on Monopoly and $1 to enter MM each Friday... ouch  Confused... more $$ down the drain  LOL

-RC

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11975 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2014, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Not in IL... so can't vote here...

Some folks on this site have often lamented about wanting to see more millionaires per multi state drawing games vs 1 winning the whole enchilada...well, here's your chance.

Monopoly brand is pretty popular and with a TV show to boot, I'd bet this new game will be a winner, at least in the short term.

I wonder what kind of effect this will have on MM and PB sales?

$5 to get buy in on Monopoly and $1 to enter MM each Friday... ouch  Confused... more $$ down the drain  LOL

The lottery will be the only winner in the short run by collecting $5 for a single line. This new lottery game is nothing more than a raffle game. The lottery Should call it ( EL GORDO USA ).

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1665 Posts
      Posted: October 6, 2014, 11:05 am - IP Logged

There is no NO in the poll.

Sounds like a fun, exciting game until you understand the DETAILS.

Top prize starts at $15 million. Caps out at $25 million with the rest going to "fund more Millionaire Club prizes." The most this $5 game will EVER be worth to the Top Prize winner is $25 million.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.......

You have NO control over whether you CAN win the jackpot since YOU have to match 5 numbers out of 52 and a COMPUTER GENERATED MONOPOLY PROPERTY.

Oh, those $1 million dollar prizes sound GREAT!

Did anybody read the part that says: "The Millionaire Club DRAWING only occurs when the Top Prize has been won in the base game?"

Those $1 million dollar prizes are a DRAWING. You pay $5, somebody wins max $25 million, and only then do you get entered into a DRAWING to win $1 million.

What more could you want in a game?

From Tx Lottery Site

G

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2014, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Top prize starts at $15 million. Caps out at $25 million with the rest going to "fund more Millionaire Club prizes." The most this $5 game will EVER be worth to the Top Prize winner is $25 million.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.......

You have NO control over whether you CAN win the jackpot since YOU have to match 5 numbers out of 52 and a COMPUTER GENERATED MONOPOLY PROPERTY.

Did anybody read the part that says: "The Millionaire Club DRAWING only occurs when the Top Prize has been won in the base game?"

Those $1 million dollar prizes are a DRAWING. You pay $5, somebody wins max $25 million, and only then do you get entered into a DRAWING to win $1 million.

From Tx Lottery Site

G

The Millionaire Club DRAWING only occurs when the Top Prize has been won in the base game?"

Yea i saw this bs too. I thought the 1mill drawings occurred every draw. Can't wait to see players faces when they ask for a ticket and the clerk says "$5 please".

Skibunnylk's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #157701
          July 28, 2014
          137 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2014, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

The Millionaire Club DRAWING only occurs when the Top Prize has been won in the base game?"

Yea i saw this bs too. I thought the 1mill drawings occurred every draw. Can't wait to see players faces when they ask for a ticket and the clerk says "$5 please".

No $5 donation from me. I'll stick  to Mega Millions and Powerball.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2014, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

MOST IMPORTANTLY.......

From Tx Lottery Site

G

The third option says "No," which means that is the no option. I wasn't going to create a poll with an unnecessary number of options, that dilutes the consensus and frankly is very annoying (IMO). The reason for the no doesn't really matter. You can always use the 'Discard Vote' option and we will count that as plain "No."

You're pointing out the obvious, but yes, this isn't the most ideal game. They are using the $1 million prizes as a selling point but those prizes are conditional on the top prize being won, which, depending on sales, could take awhile to hit. The upside is that all the $1 million prizes are guaranteed (like a raffle). So while a drawing like PB or MM can have a jackpot drawing with no secondary winners (rare if ever), this will have top prize winner and all secondary prize winners.

I don't really see the lack of "control" as an issue, since you have no real control over whether you will win or not in any game, regardless if you choose the numbers or the computer does. But I definitely see it discouraging to people who believe it matters.

For strategy, I would just wait until the jackpot is maxed out and the Club prizes are in the hundreds, if they ever get that high. Depending on sales your chances of winning one of them would be significantly better than any state games, dollar-for-dollar.

Unlike PB and MM where $XXX million jackpots cause hysteria, I don't think this game (especially at $5) will have the same. Could be a good and bad thing.

P.S. That $25 million capped top prize is annuitized, so really is worth less. Disapprove

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
              Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1665 Posts
              Posted: October 7, 2014, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

The third option says "No," which means that is the no option. I wasn't going to create a poll with an unnecessary number of options, that dilutes the consensus and frankly is very annoying (IMO). The reason for the no doesn't really matter. You can always use the 'Discard Vote' option and we will count that as plain "No."

You're pointing out the obvious, but yes, this isn't the most ideal game. They are using the $1 million prizes as a selling point but those prizes are conditional on the top prize being won, which, depending on sales, could take awhile to hit. The upside is that all the $1 million prizes are guaranteed (like a raffle). So while a drawing like PB or MM can have a jackpot drawing with no secondary winners (rare if ever), this will have top prize winner and all secondary prize winners.

I don't really see the lack of "control" as an issue, since you have no real control over whether you will win or not in any game, regardless if you choose the numbers or the computer does. But I definitely see it discouraging to people who believe it matters.

For strategy, I would just wait until the jackpot is maxed out and the Club prizes are in the hundreds, if they ever get that high. Depending on sales your chances of winning one of them would be significantly better than any state games, dollar-for-dollar.

Unlike PB and MM where $XXX million jackpots cause hysteria, I don't think this game (especially at $5) will have the same. Could be a good and bad thing.

P.S. That $25 million capped top prize is annuitized, so really is worth less. Disapprove

Fair enough. NOPE, not interested in this game.

Its too much like one of those carnival games. All these prizes and chances for more prizes and even the possibility of being on tv, and if you like Monopoly, how can you not like this game?

They aren't expecting a big following either. All they need is 5 million people across 24(?) states to donate $5......er, buy one ticket. (Compare that to MegaMilllions where the weekly sales for $15 million dollar jackpot run between $13 and $14 million at $1 a piece.)

Can't even imagine how they sold this game when you look at the fiscal year.

Powerball is in the red.....<106.5 million>

Lotto Texas <11Million>

Cash5 <3.7M>

2Step <2.4M>

Pick3 <14.7M>

The only games Texas is making a profit on is MegaMillions (+72M) and Daily 4 (8M).

Certainly an odd time to introduce a $5 game when people are shying away from $2 Powerball.

G

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1129 Posts
                Posted: October 13, 2014, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, those deficits look scary.

They sold it through their own "research," and as you said, the brand and the fact that they can sell fewer tickets and make more $$$.

I got access to the polls that they conducted and it "proved" that players want this game. The results were amusingly opposite to the consensus of the poll here on LP. Seems like the population has no problem forking out $5 for a 15 million dollar jackpot. Makes me suspicious that perhaps the people polled misunderstood how the game works. The Monopoly brand is a plus so I dunno, maybe it will be popular. But they are only forecasting about 4 million tickets sold to start with an average of 12 or so draws to hit. Can you imagine someone playing 12 straight draws ($60) just to wait for their chance to win $1 million? Depending on sales, the real payout, not their theoretical long-term, is only expected to be 22% on the first draw. That's based on the cash jackpot and my own calculations of course. Atrocious for a $5 game.

I want to play this just because I'm curious about the raffle component, but it looks like I will be sitting out for many rolls.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                  Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4855 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2014, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I couldn't stand the Monopoly board game. No way I'm playing this.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Happyland
                    United States
                    Member #146344
                    September 1, 2013
                    1129 Posts
                    Posted: October 14, 2014, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I couldn't stand the Monopoly board game. No way I'm playing this.

Well this probably won't sway you but I heard something that also makes this game kinda unique. Every club prize winner is going to receive a custom-made top hat, embroidered with their initials (container will be embroidered with name) and everything. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the top prize winner won't get one Disapprove Interestingly, some states may withhold extra $$$ for taxes since this could be considered part of the prize.

Based on the marketing materials I've seen it looks like they are going to be pushing the Monopoly top hat icon so much you will be sick of it in a few months LOL

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                      Mechanicsville, VA
                      United States
                      Member #84145
                      December 23, 2009
                      1523 Posts
                      Posted: October 15, 2014, 10:45 am - IP Logged

You know, I actually told my buddy Thrifty that I wasn't really interested in this game for several reasons and downplayed it at the onset of its' introduction. But, after really looking over the details lately and the 1-52 parameters, it may just be worth a few shots and I'll explain why. When we look at other games like Pick 5/ Cash 5 and others which contain a much smaller parameter (1-38), it's understandable why participation is so limited. The payouts are structured in such a way that it's hard to justify playing and I'm surprised that this game is surviving. Granted, and I always say, winning any amount of money is better than none but folks take it too far when they opt to wait for a jackpot on PB/MM's to rise so high to justify playing. A five number win is 'life-changing' money on that front no matter how high the top prize is.

That said, if enough people are playing this game consistently and nearly maxing out the total combos, people will win fairly frequently which is why they've implemented such a cap. Gotta remember, 1-52 is way better than the 1-56...don't be fooled by the 'it's only four numbers' rationale. Think of it in terms of removing four numbers from the Pick 3 parameters. It's still a lot of numbers but, it'll be much easier to 'max out' on the combos IF enough people play regularly. That's the secret...some one should technically become a millionaire often while the game still does well. More players with less total combos for an easier shot at $1M just might make some real noise in the lotto world...even at $5.

L.L.

Thanks for the info Lucky...good advice.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                        Mechanicsville, VA
                        United States
                        Member #84145
                        December 23, 2009
                        1523 Posts
                        Posted: October 15, 2014, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I think it's done on an ongoing basis; each lottery picks 3 players at random who have completed a monopoly, those players go on the show. There will be multiple episodes produced every season. During the off-season they will just keep collecting players into the pool that they will choose from for the next episodes. I don't think it's going to be 'easy' to make a monopoly...remember players have to buy a ticket to collect each property, doesn't even factor in duplicates....obviously the lottery has it all figured out and can estimate how many players will be in the running and eligible. Also, since it's a point-based system where each property has a different number of points, some players will have a more valuable monopoly than others etc.

Thanks for the info LottoMetro!  I guess we'll see how it goes.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                          Member #57793
                          January 19, 2008
                          2323 Posts
                          Posted: October 15, 2014, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

White Bounce Yes  White Bounce

United States
                            Member #142157
                            May 4, 2013
                            62 Posts
                            Posted: October 16, 2014, 4:40 am - IP Logged

This monopoly game gonna flop harder than Paris Hilton singing career

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: October 17, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I was curious so i stopped and got a play-slip. Bobby Patel said no one will play this because it's expensive. We'll see if he's right. I  like the concept of a draw/raffle game but it's going to be almost impossible to win.