Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Slider download

Topic closed. 225 replies. Last post 1 year ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 4 of 16
PrintE-mailLink
garyo1954's avatar - garyo
Dallas, Texas
United States
Member #4549
May 2, 2004
1691 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2015, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Yeah Bob,

Did that.....tried setting compatibility as far back as XP, Service Pack 2. Tried reduced color mode, tried 8 bit color, 16 bit color, 640X800 screen, etc

Still looking for a solution.

There is an ntvdm64.dll for legacy support in the system32 folder of Windows 10.

And Microsoft is aware of problems running 16 bit programs with it:

Windows 10 32 bit NTVDM does not work with 16 bit

There are varying opinions on why, ranging from 64 bit processors can't work with 16 bit and 64 bit simultaneously to NTVDM was discontinued in 2014, to difference in clock speed, its a Microsoft conspiracy to get us to buy newer systems, etc. About the only thing I haven't read is ALIENS!

It seems some were lucky enough to have upgraded from Win7 or a (different) version of windows 8 and have NTVDM and/or the option to enable it.

Strangely none of this has affected QB64. It works perfect on both machines. Thinking since Galleon ported QB64 for 64 bit systems, and this was written in QB64, he may have some ideas.

The option, if all else fails, is to run a virtual machine. Or put it in one of the older systems until I find a solution.

Time to quit looking for a bit, get some dinner, and rethink what can be done.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
    Member #59354
    March 13, 2008
    3971 Posts
    Posted: September 6, 2015, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Gary

I know nothing about windows 10 but it could be some sort of driver conflict.  It seems to run well on

some computers and not so well on others even with the same OS.   The program is stand alone and

everything is contained to the install folder.  What I am thinking is that one of the .DLL files may be

causing the problem. 

I am not an expert in this sort of thing so I won't be of much help.  The code will compile using the GL

version which does not require the .DLL files but it has other glitches related to video.   I could compile

both a 32 and 64 bit version but I don't have a 64 bit machine to test it on. 

P.S the code sets the color to 256 if that helps.  I will also check to see it the SDL library has been

updated for windows 10.  I am still using the same version as I did years ago.  I googled it and 

came up with this link which should have the latest versions.  I don't have time to test it out but

right now but someone here might.

https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
      Member #59354
      March 13, 2008
      3971 Posts
      Posted: September 6, 2015, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

sasharp

Are you changing the master slider to different values?  For the runs I ve made the master slider

will help.  Lowering condition A may also help.

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
        Member #59354
        March 13, 2008
        3971 Posts
        Posted: September 6, 2015, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

RL

Thanks a lot. The interface is great and sliders a big fun to play with.

Adam

Adam

Which version of windows are you running? 

RL

United States
          Member #59354
          March 13, 2008
          3971 Posts
          Posted: September 6, 2015, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I just checked and the program has been downloaded close to 600 times in the last 24 hours, if your

having problems please leave a brief comment.  The more people post the faster a solution can be 

found.

RL

sasharp65's avatar - DS2 Copy.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #105022
            January 23, 2011
            62 Posts
            Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

sasharp

Are you changing the master slider to different values?  For the runs I ve made the master slider

will help.  Lowering condition A may also help.

RL

I'm lowering the Master Slider to the threshold between not having any sets picked and having the sets picked too quickly per instructions.  It seems I need to adjust the master slider anywhere between .57 - .61 for this type of threshold.

Note - Even when trying a Multi State game such as Cash 4 Life the first number is mostly 09.

I'll try lowering the A value.

Thanks!

In 1980 I asked my father for a TRS-80, his reply was: "What the hell would you ever need a computer for" .....  Disapprove

United States
              Member #59354
              March 13, 2008
              3971 Posts
              Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Gary & Winsum

Thanks for the all the help, it's just me on this end and I have limited time and resources for testing

incompatibilities. 

Thanks go out also to everyone working on finding the problem.

RL

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1691 Posts
                Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Gary

I know nothing about windows 10 but it could be some sort of driver conflict.  It seems to run well on

some computers and not so well on others even with the same OS.   The program is stand alone and

everything is contained to the install folder.  What I am thinking is that one of the .DLL files may be

causing the problem. 

I am not an expert in this sort of thing so I won't be of much help.  The code will compile using the GL

version which does not require the .DLL files but it has other glitches related to video.   I could compile

both a 32 and 64 bit version but I don't have a 64 bit machine to test it on. 

P.S the code sets the color to 256 if that helps.  I will also check to see it the SDL library has been

updated for windows 10.  I am still using the same version as I did years ago.  I googled it and 

came up with this link which should have the latest versions.  I don't have time to test it out but

right now but someone here might.

https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php

RL

RL,

I'm with you on the .DLL part. Its what got me to looking in the systems32 folder.

Of course, I quit being an expert when they built the first pentium and started using hardware trackers........LMAO

It's a strange thing. Never had one of your programs that would not run on the first try. Never had to fiddle with the NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) setting either.

Like Steve said, and I did find, Microsoft had a KB release on NTVDM but no one seems to know what it was or why. That is part of the "Microsoft gave away Windows 10 to get us to move forward to the next level conspiracy."

The Microsoft community has received complaints since Win7 about NTVDM. (One guy complained about losing $1500 in custom business software migrating from Win7 to Windows 8.)

Sourceforge has a group working on a 64 bit .DLL  which may be an option. Haven't tried it. Want to get the easy stuff out of the way.

This is the older windows 8 machine that set up for 2 years because I hated it.  Then I transferred the Win7 setting (which might have something to do with it.)

Whatever the case, I'm far from completely unable to run it. I'm just curious why.

We will find that out.

Thanks for the reply and the info too, RL!

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

United States
                  Member #59354
                  March 13, 2008
                  3971 Posts
                  Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Gary

I just sent you and winsum a GL complied version of the slider.exe file.  Check your message box.

RL

Eugene Oregan
                    United States
                    Member #128629
                    May 29, 2012
                    419 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

RL,

Downloaded video had sound but no visual. Thanks for the free software. Dld

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3971 Posts
                      Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

FD

When you exited the program did you use the Exit button or the windows red-X.  The program will only

save your settings when you use the Exit button.  Sometimes I hit the Red-X and loose my settings.  If

not then let me know if you have problems saving your setup as there might be a unknown bug.

Thanks for posting and nice job.

RL

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3971 Posts
                        Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi all

I found a small bug in the code, the Sets-> counter does not refresh after running the Optimize option.

This will be a easy fix but will not upload a patch until I do a little more checking on the windows 10

issue.

RL

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3971 Posts
                          Posted: September 6, 2015, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

did

You may need a updated codec pack for you media player.  It plays well on windows media player-11

P.S.  be careful downloading 3rd party codecs as many of them contain mal-ware.

RL

Eugene Oregan
                            United States
                            Member #128629
                            May 29, 2012
                            419 Posts
                            Posted: September 6, 2015, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Rl

all set.

frenchie's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                              Los Angeles
                              United States
                              Member #75410
                              June 2, 2009
                              479 Posts
                              Posted: September 6, 2015, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I installed it on 2 computers W7 and W8 everything work perfectly fine with me no problem at all.

The video to is working fine.

Frenchie

Page 4 of 16