Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does the size of the lottery jackpot matter to you?

Topic closed. 100 replies. Last post 2 months ago by RJOh.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1646 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2016, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Last nite Mega Jackpot rollover to $101 million.. No 1st place winner.. 1 second prize $1,000,000 sold in Florida.. $101 million Smash  the games have begun

Hmmmm, not a bad hit at all on that 2nd prize, though. I'll bet the bank, right now, on that person being glad they played 'cause waitin' would've cost them a measly cool million.  LOL

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
    Member #169277
    October 10, 2015
    630 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2016, 11:27 am - IP Logged

You cannot aim for 2nd prize- that notion does not exist. If you a sniper in a contest with a Gal Or Guy whose in it with you & whom you really like, you will aim to miss.....then yeah.

I don't play every drawing. But the jackpot amount isn't all I think about in deciding to play a game/drawing. 

I can aim for second prize in the sense of choosing to play MM with multiplier over PB for the same $2, getting a chance at 2 to 5 million instead of 1mil.

But sometimes I think about the jackpot amount if PB is a lot higher than MM. And PB's 3rd prize is better than MM's.  So I just pick and choose based on what feels right at the time, keeping monthly spending in the $12 to $15 area now.  I might skip both games for a week or even two if I'm not feeling lucky.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4101 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2016, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

I don't play every drawing. But the jackpot amount isn't all I think about in deciding to play a game/drawing. 

I can aim for second prize in the sense of choosing to play MM with multiplier over PB for the same $2, getting a chance at 2 to 5 million instead of 1mil.

But sometimes I think about the jackpot amount if PB is a lot higher than MM. And PB's 3rd prize is better than MM's.  So I just pick and choose based on what feels right at the time, keeping monthly spending in the $12 to $15 area now.  I might skip both games for a week or even two if I'm not feeling lucky.

Ari-People can call it whatever they want, l am simply implying that one cannot guarantee the outcome of anything based on chance.There are probably great mathematicians who have studied the lottery for ages hoping for an edge & have come up empty every time. If these great minds have failed on a regular basis- what chance do we mere mortals have? One can " hope" to win a prize,any prize. It remains just that-a hope. We can always say " My hopes were dashed. " It's a saying we can & do live with.

Peace. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1646 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2016, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Ari-People can call it whatever they want, l am simply implying that one cannot guarantee the outcome of anything based on chance.There are probably great mathematicians who have studied the lottery for ages hoping for an edge & have come up empty every time. If these great minds have failed on a regular basis- what chance do we mere mortals have? One can " hope" to win a prize,any prize. It remains just that-a hope. We can always say " My hopes were dashed. " It's a saying we can & do live with.

Peace. 

l am simply implying that one cannot guarantee the outcome of anything based on chance.

I think this is where people often get it wrong, noise-gate, at least with the big games. On MM and PB, it's really not hard to reasonably figure out the likelihood of what'll happen on the next draw. The problem is the 'amount of money required to cover' what will probably happen which is simply financially out of reach for even those that have money to blow. With the smaller games, though, it's a completely different animal and it's happening everyday. The overall idea is actually not to guarantee something here every single time but, rather to hit often enough to where you stay ahead financially and profit-wise. There must be a sacrifice because without one and, a mentality of having to win all the time, I'm certain there's lots of disappointment. Can't have it both ways. Chance most certainly has it's weak areas, just can't be greedy. Most people are, though (not implying that you are). I put no expectations into any JP-style game 'cause I have zero financial control but, I can depend on my Pick 4 project.

#lotto-4-a-living

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          Ny
          United States
          Member #167314
          July 5, 2015
          1805 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2016, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Peace. 

Good question I came up with: What does math have to do with the lottery mainly the Mega or Powerball?

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
            Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            875 Posts
            Posted: September 3, 2016, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Good question I came up with: What does math have to do with the lottery mainly the Mega or Powerball?

6 numbers plus $2 = JACKPOT

The preceding was brought to you in part by MATH!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Ny
              United States
              Member #167314
              July 5, 2015
              1805 Posts
              Posted: September 4, 2016, 12:16 am - IP Logged

6 numbers plus $2 = JACKPOT

The preceding was brought to you in part by MATH!

Haha good one but in reality you cannot add 2 things that are not alike in math.. Nice try tho buddy

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                Upstate NY
                United States
                Member #174656
                May 5, 2016
                747 Posts
                Posted: September 4, 2016, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Does it have to be a specific amount before you would even consider playing a dollar or more? Or are you in " for a penny or a pound" as the saying goes?  Does she have to be a redhead/ brunette or does he have to have blue eyes/ tanned before you would even think of going out on a date. ..so to speak. You get my drift.

Have a good day & upcoming weekend People. 

I'm not going to spend valuable time and money on an amount that isn't in the top 25. Sometimes i can't resist an over 300M Jackpot (annuity) but i largely only want to win something that would make me one of the biggest winners in history.

Ny
                  United States
                  Member #167314
                  July 5, 2015
                  1805 Posts
                  Posted: September 4, 2016, 12:35 am - IP Logged

I'm not going to spend valuable time and money on an amount that isn't in the top 25. Sometimes i can't resist an over 300M Jackpot (annuity) but i largely only want to win something that would make me one of the biggest winners in history.

Man the greed in that statement is enough to feed kids in Africa brother.. To each is own though.. Im guessing you only play for entertainment? And clearly what just looks good on paper

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1646 Posts
                    Posted: September 4, 2016, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Man the greed in that statement is enough to feed kids in Africa brother.. To each is own though.. Im guessing you only play for entertainment? And clearly what just looks good on paper

feed kids in Africa brother..

1982...Africa by Toto. Songs were so real and actually had meaning back in the day. If I was savvy enuff to post the video, I would.

#lotto-4-a-living

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
                      Ontario
                      Canada
                      Member #109243
                      April 9, 2011
                      31437 Posts
                      Posted: September 4, 2016, 8:50 am - IP Logged

feed kids in Africa brother..

1982...Africa by Toto. Songs were so real and actually had meaning back in the day. If I was savvy enuff to post the video, I would.

Here's The Link

https://youtu.be/DWfY9GRe7SI

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4101 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2016, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

l would have been shocked by a lesser response from you. How could you settle for less. After all, you are the king of the earth as your name implies your excellency.

Btw- are you a devotee of Antonia Banderas- that seems to be his mug in your avatar picture. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #174656
                          May 5, 2016
                          747 Posts
                          Posted: September 4, 2016, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I play to win, but I know the odds and budget. i'd rather spend the money all on a few big draws than spend each time and have very little left when it gets up there. I've been bere long enough to know how much gets wiped away between taking Cash and the witholdings. That's one of the reasons my minimum is so high.

Upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #174656
                            May 5, 2016
                            747 Posts
                            Posted: September 4, 2016, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

l would have been shocked by a lesser response from you. How could you settle for less. After all, you are the king of the earth as your name implies your excellency.

Btw- are you a devotee of Antonia Banderas- that seems to be his mug in your avatar picture. 

Never heard of him, I googled him. The avatar fits the name acceptably well and I haven't seen anyone else using it so.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                              Brooklyn, NY
                              United States
                              Member #169723
                              October 29, 2015
                              875 Posts
                              Posted: September 5, 2016, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Never heard of him, I googled him. The avatar fits the name acceptably well and I haven't seen anyone else using it so.

Kingofearth avatar                                              Antonio Banderas

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot