Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does the size of the lottery jackpot matter to you?

Topic closed. 100 replies. Last post 3 months ago by RJOh.

Page 7 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2016, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

"Majority of my winners are $7 or less so I would be extremely greatful on anything larger."

Now you have all the LP members sitting on pins and needles waiting for your "how to win $7" lottery system.

I guess no one's interested in my guaranteed $1 win system when you buy all 15 megaballs. Unhappy

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7314 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2016, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Green laughhahah both make decent points truth is stay on topic and win big. It is human nature to feel as if you missed out even when winning a 4+1. Truth is in life you get what you work for so I wouldn't set my aim for a 4+1 win in PB or MM. I'll be at ease with a million dollar prize or better because that's what is advertised so that's what I get in the game for nothing less.

All of us will be at ease winning the $1 million second prize, but that prize is always there regardless of the size of the jackpot.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7314 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2016, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I guess no one's interested in my guaranteed $1 win system when you buy all 15 megaballs. Unhappy

Do you use all 75 numbers on your 15 lines?

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2016, 12:33 am - IP Logged

As far as I'm concerned, my friend, this the right idea as long as the player can afford it. Executing the most coverage is the absolute path to a win providing that patience and consistency are also present. If I was big on these jackpot games, it's the way I'd go for sure but there's still a lot of heavy lifting for the one line which has to wholly/partially match the megaball to do. Hmmm, I think I just got an idea to try.Smiley

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2016, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Do you use all 75 numbers on your 15 lines?

It's kind of hard to use all 75 numbers if you're trying to follow a pattern for the 5 number combinations.

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5611 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2016, 11:55 am - IP Logged

It's kind of hard to use all 75 numbers if you're trying to follow a pattern for the 5 number combinations.

I have played 15 lines with all 15 megaballs occasionally, but now usually just 1 line.

For kicks, a year or so back I randomly assembled 15 lines with all 75 numbers and all 15 megaballs. Every draw I compare how those lines did. So far this year the cost would have been $1080, and the payback with those lines would have been $100. Of course, if the numbers were arranged differently, the payback would have been more, or maybe less. But, I think it's still a good indicator of what to expect unless Ladyluck visits.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2016, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I have played 15 lines with all 15 megaballs occasionally, but now usually just 1 line.

For kicks, a year or so back I randomly assembled 15 lines with all 75 numbers and all 15 megaballs. Every draw I compare how those lines did. So far this year the cost would have been $1080, and the payback with those lines would have been $100. Of course, if the numbers were arranged differently, the payback would have been more, or maybe less. But, I think it's still a good indicator of what to expect unless Ladyluck visits.

That's to be expected.  If you do the math, MM is set up with its payout amounts to payback an average of $0.17 for every $1 spent unless someone wins the jackpot.  Someone has to pay for that MegaMillions jackpot. Wink

Evil Looking       

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                Northern Virginia
                United States
                Member #83350
                December 5, 2009
                1317 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2016, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Not only does the size matter, but also the date. Because I object to major lotteries' payout schemes, which rip off lower-tier prize winners, the only games I play on a regular basis are the 3-ball and the 4-ball. I will play Powerball and Mega Millions ONLY when BOTH of the following criteria are met: 1) the jackpot is one of the five highest on record AND 2) the drawing is scheduled to take place on a MAJOR holiday or my birthday or Leap Day. The last time that both these criteria were met that I know of was January 4, 2011.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2016, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Not only does the size matter, but also the date. Because I object to major lotteries' payout schemes, which rip off lower-tier prize winners, the only games I play on a regular basis are the 3-ball and the 4-ball. I will play Powerball and Mega Millions ONLY when BOTH of the following criteria are met: 1) the jackpot is one of the five highest on record AND 2) the drawing is scheduled to take place on a MAJOR holiday or my birthday or Leap Day. The last time that both these criteria were met that I know of was January 4, 2011.

I also play PB and MM only when JP is in record territory...and I'm in anonymous (Delaware/Maryland) territory.

But how does the holiday/b-day/Leap day factor effect your decision to play ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: September 18, 2016, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

They keep getting ungrateful and raising the odds on the games so I now wait before I jump in.

I have been playing so long without winning that I view increasing odds as an attack on loyal players.

My jackpot limits are $400,000,000 for Powerball and $150,000,000 for Mega Millions because the more they raise the odds the more I expect to lose.

The Powerball second prize isn't so great anymore given the $2 or $3 ticket price vs the Mega Millions second prize being decent for $2 tickets.

As far as Fantasy 5 I start my buy in at around $150,000 +/- and cut it off at around $180,000 before I start again around $500,000.

With the Classic 47 game here it is an RNG game and it takes forever to roll so I try to wait until it is at least $3,000,000 annuity to buy in. (BTW I would take the annuity up to $5,600,000 but over that would opt for the cash option because of current tax laws)

So, it isn't the jackpot size so much as it is getting to be the insane odds that matter to me along with quirky tax laws

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2016, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Now that both PB and MM have been won and reset to their lowest jackpot levels, I'm considering playing the local Classic Lotto(6/49) game again for a few drawings.

Evil Looking