Welcome Guest
You last visited April 30, 2017, 6:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does the size of the lottery jackpot matter to you?

Topic closed. 100 replies. Last post 7 months ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Arizona
United States
Member #165073
March 24, 2015
220 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2016, 10:59 am - IP Logged

There's a couple of answers here that, personally, I really like purely from a moral perspective. To each their very own but, in my opinion, you can never tell when it just might be your time to win. A truly avid player probably doesn't care what the jackpot is because they know that any amount is surely to be substantially waaaaay more than they could ever earn. That said, thirty million before OR after taxes is gonna get the job more than done for Lucky Loser. I had that habit of waiting around for the pot to hit a couple hundred million only to find that I was still matching or not matching the same way. Are the odds really that much better once the jackpot grows and more people play? Or, is it just a mathematical myth that someone HAS to match at some point due to several hundred million tickets sold? I don't know, man...I've seen it get so high along with high expectations of a winner only to see so many disappointed and depressed people here posting on how it's 'rigged' to only certain states or otherwise.

My thoughts on this are the same as they were back in 2012 when I also probed people's minds much like noisegate is doing here on this topic. I'm perplexed on how much it seems to take for a person to be content in the event of a win. Here are some views from 2012 on the same thing:

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/244751

I had that habit of waiting around for the pot to hit a couple hundred million only to find that I was still matching or not matching the same way. Are the odds really that much better once the jackpot grows and more people play? Or, is it just a mathematical myth that someone HAS to match at some point due to several hundred million tickets sold?

The odds that there will be a winner are better, but the odds for any individual player are unchanged.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1661 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2016, 11:36 am - IP Logged

A guy who played the horses religiously once said to me" l am so tired of losing, that l am prepared to win anything!"

He was right, still is if he continues to lose LL.

His story is somewhat similar to mine. I eventually decided that a little bit of something beats all of nothing with the small games and adjusted accordingly. With the jackpot games though, there's no real way for me to 'effectively' put the odds in my favor so, all I can do is go along for the ride. There have been so many times that I actually purchased tickets thinking that the draw was that night but, the cashier enlightened me that it wasn't...and also wondered why I'd want to play for such a 'small win' anyway. I had to really bite my tongue on that 'small win' part, never mind that I was totally out of the loop on the actual draw date. There's this whole 'getting the most for your money' train of thought when it comes to these big games which is completely out of touch with reality. People treat their money towards the lottery as though they're going shopping for a car/truck, okay...they want want the most bang for their buck. The major difference, though, is that they KNOW they can get that vehicle with the money/credit they have whereas they cannot control what, or, if they'll get anything with the lottery. 

The next part of this, which should pose a question in my opinion, is that the lottery doesn't further break down the odds of a person winning even after 'X' amount of tickets are sold for a draw. In other words, if we're going along with the idea of a 'must win' once the pot hits $4-$500 million and so many tickets are sold, why doesn't the lottery THEN begin advertising progressively increased odds of wining via commercials or even a pamphlet? Nope, there's only ONE odds break down. I feel that is a great critically thought analysis/argument and question for my lottery players to ask their officials. 

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
      Member #9517
      December 10, 2004
      1311 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2016, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I'll take the jackpot no matter what, small or big.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7458 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2016, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

I'll take the jackpot no matter what, small or big.

But will you still play knowing nobody will win the jackpot?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Chasing the Dream.
          Utopia- California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4262 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2016, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

His story is somewhat similar to mine. I eventually decided that a little bit of something beats all of nothing with the small games and adjusted accordingly. With the jackpot games though, there's no real way for me to 'effectively' put the odds in my favor so, all I can do is go along for the ride. There have been so many times that I actually purchased tickets thinking that the draw was that night but, the cashier enlightened me that it wasn't...and also wondered why I'd want to play for such a 'small win' anyway. I had to really bite my tongue on that 'small win' part, never mind that I was totally out of the loop on the actual draw date. There's this whole 'getting the most for your money' train of thought when it comes to these big games which is completely out of touch with reality. People treat their money towards the lottery as though they're going shopping for a car/truck, okay...they want want the most bang for their buck. The major difference, though, is that they KNOW they can get that vehicle with the money/credit they have whereas they cannot control what, or, if they'll get anything with the lottery. 

The next part of this, which should pose a question in my opinion, is that the lottery doesn't further break down the odds of a person winning even after 'X' amount of tickets are sold for a draw. In other words, if we're going along with the idea of a 'must win' once the pot hits $4-$500 million and so many tickets are sold, why doesn't the lottery THEN begin advertising progressively increased odds of wining via commercials or even a pamphlet? Nope, there's only ONE odds break down. I feel that is a great critically thought analysis/argument and question for my lottery players to ask their officials. 

l share your opinion LL- the second part of your opinion is something l doubt the lottery power's that be want to get involved in. They want folks playing for the top prize. I have read some posts here of folk saying they" playing for 2nd prize"- how do you play for 2nd prize when you don't know whether you going to win at all? It's a Gamble,  nothing else. Out here in CA, especially with scrathers, they will say " 2 top prizes of $1,000,000 " is out there. If one of those tickets is claimed,  they will let you know by going on line to find out* l think.  Otherwise you just buying tickets with the hope getting at least one of the top prizes, which is self defeating if you ask me because playing for 2nd prize lMHO. Trying for 2nd prize won't cut it...with me. Others are welcome to settle for 2nd best. 

Yoda had it right when he said " Do or do not- there is no try".

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Chasing the Dream.
            Utopia- California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4262 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2016, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Is it safe to say that " 2nd prize is for sucker' s" without offending anyone?  Big SmileBig Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              5211 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2016, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

Well in some cases people are happy with their lives and have saved well for any future retirement, so they only aim for a 2nd prize with a couple of million $. I love where I live and if I won hundreds of millions and it was public info, I would have to move. Yes, I play for the 2nd tier prizes.

The United States of America won the lottery when we elected our new President Donald J. Trump. The Donald dazzles all!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                5211 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2016, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Is it safe to say that " 2nd prize is for sucker' s" without offending anyone?  Big SmileBig Smile

No. Lol

The United States of America won the lottery when we elected our new President Donald J. Trump. The Donald dazzles all!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1661 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2016, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

l share your opinion LL- the second part of your opinion is something l doubt the lottery power's that be want to get involved in. They want folks playing for the top prize. I have read some posts here of folk saying they" playing for 2nd prize"- how do you play for 2nd prize when you don't know whether you going to win at all? It's a Gamble,  nothing else. Out here in CA, especially with scrathers, they will say " 2 top prizes of $1,000,000 " is out there. If one of those tickets is claimed,  they will let you know by going on line to find out* l think.  Otherwise you just buying tickets with the hope getting at least one of the top prizes, which is self defeating if you ask me because playing for 2nd prize lMHO. Trying for 2nd prize won't cut it...with me. Others are welcome to settle for 2nd best. 

Yoda had it right when he said " Do or do not- there is no try".

Yes, we think a lot alike in this regard along with others here as well. My position on this deal, noisegate, lies purely within the moral aspects of what a person thinks...nothing more. I get the whole idea of being positive, thinking big, and the whole bit...it's all good. Here's a couple of links I think you'll find reassuring your views on playing for any amount. The first one clearly has a lot sub-$100 million very happy winners and the second one has a very happy $50 million winner. The last one has a fair amount of PB winners who didn't wait 'til it got to a half million to play. My kinda people.

Summary: None of these 'low ball winners' would won had they 'waited' for the pot to grow higher and higher before they played. If they would've, they would've also missed out on THEIR time to win just as I said in my opening statement. It's also the reason why I posted the link to my thread from 2012...it more than supports our theories on simply playing for a win at any given time 'cause you never know.

http://www.megamillions.com/jackpot-history

http://www.megamillions.com/winners-gallery/thomasville-construction-worker-assembles-50m-lottery-win

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_stories.asp

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                    Ny
                    United States
                    Member #167314
                    July 5, 2015
                    1819 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

I think 2nd prize is fair to aim for and more realistic actually. Just for the fact it makes the game more simple to aim for 5 of 5. Regardless you have to play the mega ball to get your ticket printed (1-15) odds. and are still in the runnings for the huge jackpot.. Me personally am not saying I just want the 1 million prize but I will be satisfied to know I took the chance and made something of it. This is actually part of my strategy how I play and I think alot of other people play like this and many others probably don't. Rule #1 in my book always aim for the 5 of 5 for the 1 million and never change your mega ball number when you play. I find it really silly to change that ball if thats what is needed to win the jackpot. You'll be slapping yourself. We all know but just to reinforce the odds of the game' the 5 of 5 prize 1 in 18,492,204 - 5 of 5 +Mega Ball 1 in 258,890,850. The drastic change in odds itself is why I play for 5 of 5 for the 1 million and will never change the mega ball. I think it's fair to say aiming for the jackpot and not just the more reasonable 5 of 5 can be considered a greed thing not to offend anyone. What do you think? With that drastic change from adding just 1 MB to the game actually leads ME to believe the lottery wants you to aim for the jackpot with those drastic odds keeping people losers. You know what they say its a thin line between almost evertything in life and the lottery is none the different. Mind you the mega ball is usually listed on the same page as the most recent results drastically and less brainwork lowering the odds of the Megaball that arent high to begin with. Here I go dropping gems again* haha

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
                      United States
                      Member #167314
                      July 5, 2015
                      1819 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

All you need to focus on is the 5 of 5 is what i'm saying.. Ran out of editing time towards the end of my last post haha sorry guys it may be a bit confusing

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
                        United States
                        Member #167314
                        July 5, 2015
                        1819 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

No the odds of the 5 of 5 remain the same and that's why it is hit time and time over and the jackpot continues to roll before someone actually hits the 1st place jackpot.. Might as well look at it as 2 jackpots not just second place. You got the 1 in 258,000,00 jackpot and the 1 in 18,000,000 its clear as day to see which one hits more often

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Chasing the Dream.
                          Utopia- California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4262 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

I think 2nd prize is fair to aim for and more realistic actually. Just for the fact it makes the game more simple to aim for 5 of 5. Regardless you have to play the mega ball to get your ticket printed (1-15) odds. and are still in the runnings for the huge jackpot.. Me personally am not saying I just want the 1 million prize but I will be satisfied to know I took the chance and made something of it. This is actually part of my strategy how I play and I think alot of other people play like this and many others probably don't. Rule #1 in my book always aim for the 5 of 5 for the 1 million and never change your mega ball number when you play. I find it really silly to change that ball if thats what is needed to win the jackpot. You'll be slapping yourself. We all know but just to reinforce the odds of the game' the 5 of 5 prize 1 in 18,492,204 - 5 of 5 +Mega Ball 1 in 258,890,850. The drastic change in odds itself is why I play for 5 of 5 for the 1 million and will never change the mega ball. I think it's fair to say aiming for the jackpot and not just the more reasonable 5 of 5 can be considered a greed thing not to offend anyone. What do you think? With that drastic change from adding just 1 MB to the game actually leads ME to believe the lottery wants you to aim for the jackpot with those drastic odds keeping people losers. You know what they say its a thin line between almost evertything in life and the lottery is none the different. Mind you the mega ball is usually listed on the same page as the most recent results drastically and less brainwork lowering the odds of the Megaball that arent high to begin with. Here I go dropping gems again* haha

Money- No disrespect but you CANNOT aim for 2nd prize in a game of chance. No such thing exists. Come on, even you must see that.You have no stake in the outcome,no one does.How can you foretell the future. Given that how do you focus on 2nd place? It's like telling family & friends " l will be touring Europe next summer" ..and when asked do you have the money, your reply is " l will when I win the lottery in January."  Better yet, how about telling friends  " l was aiming for 2nd prize & and guess what happened,  l ended up winning  this infernal jackpot."

Really? 

Ny
                            United States
                            Member #167314
                            July 5, 2015
                            1819 Posts
                            Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

A little of my story on the Billion Dollar Powerball Frenzy which is why I play for 5 of 5 .. Although i did have the PB.. Its foggy i used to have the picture of rhe ticket but if i remeber out of the 4 tickets i picked 2 different powerballs.. Now i will stick to one.. As you kno PB if i had kept the 4 and the MB on that one ticket 3rd prize? Is $50,000.. mind you I havent played either game in months im a pick 4 kind of guy for now gonna destroy them soon..

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/306355/4760465

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
                              United States
                              Member #167314
                              July 5, 2015
                              1819 Posts
                              Posted: September 2, 2016, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Money- No disrespect but you CANNOT aim for 2nd prize in a game of chance. No such thing exists. Come on, even you must see that.You have no stake in the outcome,no one does.How can you foretell the future. Given that how do you focus on 2nd place? It's like telling family & friends " l will be touring Europe next summer" ..and when asked do you have the money, your reply is " l will when I win the lottery in January."  Better yet, how about telling friends  " l was aiming for 2nd prize & and guess what happened,  l ended up winning  this infernal jackpot."

Really? 

Foretelling the future by determination.. Determinations end result is success? Correct? I dont half a** or I wouldnt play the lottery at all if its not for a win what is it for

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink