Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery software development ideas

Topic closed. 335 replies. Last post 12 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 12 of 23
PrintE-mailLink
paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
Member #3002
December 11, 2003
477 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2005, 5:45 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by Rip Snorter on April 2, 2005

No, I'm not the same person as yesterday, I've realised today that I'm far too generous.

Tough gig, someone giving you carrots, celery, chicken and potatoes, instead of a can of Liptons.

Jack

Adding and subtracting lottery numbers from each other is hardly the last supper.
    psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5121 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2005, 5:51 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by MillionsWanted on April 2, 2005

Yes I know. We have been tough on him, me included. But some of it he had it coming.

No, I don't expect him to hand over his program. If he want to create a software for his system it is natural to think he want money for it. I just hope the software will be tested well before coming on sale unlike some other software I know about AND get a reasonable price tag.

MillionsWanted:

HAPPYIEEEEE..............to know you have not changed your TUNEEEEEEEE!

Questiion, are you a songwriter?............Can you create, produce, lead or

follorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?............WHAT would you pay for BL's.....

work if he would sell it TODAY.................in the manual format $______.00

WHAT would you pay...TODAY.................in the SOFT-PACKAGE$______.00

DON'T WE all pay if we play our numbers in the LOTTO and LOTTERY?????

LOL,

PSYKOMO

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
      Member #9517
      December 10, 2004
      1272 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Most lottery software cost around $ 25 - 40.

When it costs more than $ 50 it starts to get expensive.

I'm no songwriter or anything in regard to music.

I express my creativity designing websites.

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2005, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Adding and subtracting lottery numbers from each other is hardly the last supper.

I agree. 

Similarly,  I'd also suppose the decision of whether a man fulfills his charitable nature, be it to the American Society of Electrical Engineers, United Fund, or to the guy sleeping out under a bridge somewhere, I suppose it's all a generous gesture.  More a matter of where he thinks his money will do the most good, where his inclinations lie.  He hardly can be said to owe it to any one of the above.  He does it out of of a fullness of spirit.  It would be difficult to criticize him, however he decides to spread his good will around.

But he has other things in mind, as well.  At least he's said as much.  If that's what he wants to do (and I believe him when he says it), and if he's capable of doing it (and I happen to believe he is), then there's not a faster way of doing it than handing a piece of software over to the Internet community.  I might take as much as a month before the entire system of lotteries as we know them collapsed.

On the other hand, if he'd prefer to give it the death of a thousand cuts, a lingering death, while really generating some imagination and firing some energy into a population that can barely get away from a television screen long enough to sit down at a computer screen, there's a way to do that, too.  It would all end up the same in the end, all a choice of methods and velocity.  All for one man to decide.

Whichever way he goes it won't win him any lasting friendships.  Nor any short-termed ones that I'd wish on anyone.

Jack

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5121 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2005, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

OK.....poster friends,

I can't hear the sounds of dee dead......beats walking

I can't smell any of your money talking around hereah

whichever way he go.................................it won't win

it won't win him any friends........................AGAINNNN!

Got to pay to Play, go spend money..if you eat honey!

Give a plan a chance but, be willing to support with$$

NAME THAT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FEED THAT KID,

PSYKOMO

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2005, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

how much would it have cost to play the wheel of numbers that biglooser posted the other night for the mega millions drawing??  just wondering.......

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2005, 12:16 am - IP Logged

This "gonna-bankrupt-the-lottery" thing is just fanciful hyperbole. Even if a system hit every day, the lottery wouldn't go "broke". All lotteries operate on one of two principles.

1. defined contribution: they will limit the amount of (total) money played on a particular number (thus limiting their potential liability). e.g. "locking out" a number.

2. defined benefit: they will specify a maximum amount they will pay out on a total basis and/or prize level. e.g. let's say the top prize on a 5 ball game is $100,000. Then up to 5 people can collect the full amount if they hit. $100k each. But if 10 people hit, then it becomes 'parimutual'; $500k / 10 winners = $50k each.

Also, states typically set aside only so much of the 'take' for prize payouts - (playing money) The remainder goes in their other pocket, for their 'causes' - (eating money)

In either case, they don't have to pass the hat to pay the winners. No matter how many win.

This idea of the unmarked police cars pulling you over on some dark road, then ...

Well, there are enough other idiots in the world, the state doesn't have to get it's hands dirty.

What would
              most likely happen, since winners of big prizes wind up with their name and town published, anyone winning "too often" would be scapegoated as the reason for lower payouts to other players, one or many of whom may take it upon themselves to ... um ... fix that problem, or the media harassment/attention and total loss of privacy would send you on your way soon enough.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3104 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2005, 1:00 am - IP Logged

When you select 18 lottery numbers from a 6/49 game the odds of having the winning numbers among your 18 are . . .

6 in 18 are 1 in 753.28
                5 in 18 are 1 in 52.65
                4 in 18 are 1 in 9.83
                3 in 18 are 1 in 3.81

When you take any six number combination and the neighboring numbers on either side you get 18. 

01-14-19-37-38-46

49-01-02-13-14-15-18-19-20-35-36-37-38-39-40-45-46-47

Buy a Quick Pick with 5 lines it's pretty easy to see you will likely have a line where 4 or more numbers are there or one off.

How many times have you held a losing ticket in your hand with two of the winning numbers and two or three others one up or down from the winning numbers? 

If only the lottery allowed us to mark 18 numbers on a play slip instead of wheeling them into so may lines winning isn't profitable unless the wheel plays above its guarantee. 

Takes
                7,8 or 9 lines to guarantee 3if6in18numbers (depending on strategy)
                12 lines to guarantee 3if5of6in18numbers
                42 lines to guarantee 4if6in18numbers
                48 lines to guarantee 3if3 + 4if6in18numbers

If you have to do this 5 times it gets expensive.  It is better to play a tighter game so when you win you can play on the state's money like this:
                http://www.lotto-logix.com/winlotto.html 

BobP

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
                  Member #3002
                  December 11, 2003
                  477 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by biglooooser on April 1, 2005

05 10 11 13 16 18 19 22 23 25 28 29 32 35 43 44 47 49

Fri 4/1/2005
                  Mega Ball : 10

NOTE

lets not get carried away.

GH = 8 9 10 11 13 14 19 20 21 27 28 29 31 33 35 45 49

4+MB and only 1 number either side of the fifth in only 17 numbers, available to anyone with A+

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: April 3, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by paul762 on April 3, 2005

GH = 8 9 10 11 13 14 19 20 21 27 28 29 31 33 35 45 49

4+MB and only 1 number either side of the fifth in only 17 numbers, available to anyone with A+

Does everyone with GH software get the same group of numbers to play?  I would expect if that is true then when a player with her software wins, he could expect to split his winnings with some other players with the same software.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2005, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

What would most likely happen, since winners of big prizes wind up with their name and town published, anyone winning "too often" would be scapegoated as the reason for lower payouts to other players, one or many of whom may take it upon themselves to ... um ... fix that problem, or the media harassment/attention and total loss of privacy would send you on your way soon enough.

I never completed  the freshman course on This Will Certainly Happen As A Result Of Thus-And-So.  I'm not qualified to argue with you on that score.  As for your sinister references to dark roads and nights, the whole thing sounds pretty far fetched.

But I will say if someone, BL or someone else, can consistently do what he did the other night, the prize sizes ought to have to shrink, along with a corresponding reduced interest by ticket buyers.  I don't know much about predicting dvents in human affairs and economics, but I'd imagine the multi-state lotteries might have some difficulties selling tickets if the prizes couldn't get up there where people with grandiose ideas about being Nero would buy scads of tickets.

I don't see much chance of it hurting the Kansas Lottery with small prizes and half a buck tickets.  But if I'm reading the posts correctly on this discussion board, a lot of people already despise the $100K bonus on Powerball because they believe it robs them of the really big jackpots.  Having someone out there who wins enough to have enough slop to invest, say, half of his winnings back into tickets for the next draws ought to make a serious dent in the lottery system, if it doesn't actually bankrupt it.

But that's just me, an old country boy talking.  I don't have the expertise to actually know how it will be.  Never finished that course.

Jack

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8362 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2005, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

no US based lottery is gonna go banckrupt. Unless wall street crashes again in that case it woln't matter.

if you win often enough to be recognized as you would walk through the lottery HQ doors. you will most likely end up a poster person to promote that states lottery as a continuous winner people will see it can be done. And play more. When you win the lottery big, they welcome you with open arms as they then get the tax revenue and their cut of your winnings.

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2005, 6:12 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by four4me on April 3, 2005

no US based lottery is gonna go banckrupt.

Exactly. My point was that if the state takes $0.50 of every dollar played and puts it in their left pocket for payout, and takes the remainder, then no amount of winning will cause them to "lose" anything but the opportunity to keep more of what is in the left pocket. The contents of the right pocket are safe. IOW, the worst the state will ever do is profit only $0.50. I was providing the math/method as to how they make this happen.

That is not to denigrate anyone's system. Just stating that while winning is (arguably) an attainable goal, "bankrupting" the state is not.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                            Member #9517
                            December 10, 2004
                            1272 Posts
                            Posted: April 3, 2005, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

The only possible way to bankrupt a lottery would be to share the "cracked code" with everyone so that many more people would win and make the prize level will sink.

If the prizes became too low many would lose interest in playing.

Don't know if that's enough to make it go bankrupt though.

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: April 3, 2005, 6:57 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on April 3, 2005

IOW, the worst the state will ever do is profit only $0.50. I was providing the math/method as to how they make this happen.

OOPS, let me clarify that. I meant the worst they will do is profit $0.50 per ticket sold.

Page 12 of 23