Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Welfare & Jackpot Lottery Winners

Topic closed. 167 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 7 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

Is It Ethical For $1M+ Lottery Winners to Continue Collecting State Welfare?

Yes, if still unemployed, I'm entitled to it. [ 8 ]  [14.04%]
It depends... [ 8 ]  [14.04%]
No, if you still want more money, get a job! [ 22 ]  [38.60%]
No, those caught doing so should be thrown in jail [ 19 ]  [33.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 57 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for the correction Ridge. That was the best you could do.

Well Jorli, like Lucky Ned Pepper said to Marshall Cogburn, "I'm shot to pieces, Rooster."

Clearly you've bested me.

I am humbled.

I stand in awe.

Awe? Just awe?

Awe, Hell! I stand mouth-agape and slump-shouldered in SHOCK AND AWE!   Thumbs UpBig Grin

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #2448
    October 4, 2003
    25899 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Well Jorli, like Lucky Ned Pepper said to Marshall Cogburn, "I'm shot to pieces, Rooster."

Clearly you've bested me.

I am humbled.

I stand in awe.

Awe? Just awe?

Awe, Hell! I stand mouth-agape and slump-shouldered in SHOCK AND AWE!   Thumbs UpBig Grin

It's okay Ridge.  I know you're a legend in your own mind.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

I am just one of those Americans who do their homework before they purchase the product. Test it out , look at the pros and cons over a bit of time, see what positives are beneficial to me before I buy.......Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful option we have??

Webmaster?  oh no, never claimed to be, no thanks...... Like any good L.P'er....Just offering positive words of encouragement  to you.........Obvious being courteous was a misjudgement on my part and I never make the same mistake twice No No......Have a good day anyway.  Hyper

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

It's okay Ridge.  I know you're a legend in your own mind.

Aaaaaand the knockout!   Dead

I'm down for the count, Jorli.

You win. Hurray!

Free stuff for everybody for life!Hyper

--Edmund Burke

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #2448
          October 4, 2003
          25899 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

I am just one of those Americans who do their homework before they purchase the product. Test it out , look at the pros and cons over a bit of time, see what positives are beneficial to me before I buy.......Isn't freedom of choice a wonderful option we have??

Webmaster?  oh no, never claimed to be, no thanks...... Like any good L.P'er....Just offering positive words of encouragement  to you.........Obvious being courteous was a misjudgement on my part and I never make the same mistake twice No No......Have a good day anyway.  Hyper

Nice touch of BS, CDana. You've been here since January, and made over 300 posts, and even gave me advice on what my Platunum Membership offered, and you still haven't joined. Even Ridge has a Platinum Membership.  You seem to know well, how the memberships work.  So, what are you waiting for?  Buy a gold or Platinum today.

Your so called offering positive words is also BS.  There are hundreds of thousands of LP members who could jump right in and offer words, but they chose to not.  So what makes you so special?

You're a troublemaker CDana.  You look for trouble and you pick a side and then you get yourself in the fray, then you call it encouragement. Nice try, but I know better.

Don't forget to predict some winning numbers.  After all, LP is about the lottery.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
            TX
            United States
            Member #121193
            January 4, 2012
            1637 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2012, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Aaaaaand the knockout!   Dead

I'm down for the count, Jorli.

You win. Hurray!

Free stuff for everybody for life!Hyper

Ridge....the Cant Understand  situation has fully come to fruition. Where is your free stuff anyways ??? I am here under the redistribution of wealth plan.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2012, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

ridge still putting the move on the ladies...sweet...

Pure luck

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2012, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

ridge still putting the move on the ladies...sweet...

Heh, heh, heh.

Most of 'em just wanna be held, tiggers.

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2012, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Heh, heh, heh.

Most of 'em just wanna be held, tiggers.

As you know ridge $$$$$ talks in this world..

Pure luck

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
                    Morris County, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #114357
                    July 29, 2011
                    656 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2012, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I voted "No, if you still want more money, get a job!"

I only read the first two pages though, but not that really long post...

But here's the thing with welfare and lottery tickets, I'm on the fence about this.

Yes that money should be going towads things you need and not lottery tickets.  On the other hand that money spent on lottery tickets is just going back to the government.  State lotteries are government entities are they not?  I'm not sure about multi state lotteries, but aren't all lotteries just a branch of the government?

If anything there should be rules in place for people who's winnings exceed the non taxable (> $600) amount.  Since you have to file out tax forms, there's paper work.  So deduct what you won from your benefits or reduce them by a certain amount.

As for paying back welfare, I doubt that would ever happen.  And as for welfate itself, personally I think it's one of those political things that people have blown way, way, way out of proportion.  Non SS assistance, which basically means food stamps, welfare, and housing assistance are a mere 3.8% of GDP.  And that's down from 2000.   Since the introduction of welfare, the percentage compared to GDP has usually been on the decline. 

If you want actual numbers, I believe it's right around the $50 billion a year mark.  Now here's the part where I make up numbers.  Let's say there are 100 million people who pay taxes.  That's just a number I made up.  $50B/100M = $500 a year each tax payer pays for all low income assistance.  That of course comes out to $41.67 a month.  I would love to see this math done for the actual numbers, because beyond that I really can't include things like tax refunds, credits, etc.

My point is it's not a lot of money, compared to SS or national defense, and especially the federal reserve (biggest holder of US debt).

Democrats or republicans, it's the same thing.  Don't believe the hype.  Both parties have been headed in the same direction for at least 40 years.

"If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer J. Simpson

United States
                      Member #79057
                      August 26, 2009
                      70 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2012, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Chaos - Surely you have those figures wrong.

According to the Oracle of a dog's *ss - Handouts can only begat more handouts.   Give people a helping hand and 100% of the time they'll sit on their lazy butts expecting more.    How could assistance have gone down since 2000 - particularly with the bad economy and all those lazy "dems" mooching.  If your right that would mean the great and all-blowing Ridge was... (wrong, ignorant, a petty small endowed vamint,  please feel free to post your own).

No, I know what's going on.  You must be one of those " libs" the Ridge man strokes himself to.   I'll tell you right now what he'd tell ya, "Yer better watch yerself son.. you must be one of those limp wristed dems who keeps a roll of USA flag toilet paper in his outhouse because u. r. anti-American.   I fart from my arse and my mouth and I don't see no green haus emmissions.   You watch yerself boy... with all those facts... you know they scare... I mean bore me.   Yeah that's it they bore me.  And if the Ridge man gets bored yer gonna get blocked.  Not cause I can't argue a point without looking like the tail end of a donkey, but because I get bored because I know everything.  Heed my warning... now the Ridgeman has to go... ther's karaoke at the bait shack tonight and the winner 20 minutes alone with Steve Earl's mule.   You know the Ridgeman has this locked up.

Sorry Chaos - the above was a bit of parody, just be forewarned that facts don't matter much to some of the twits on this site.

United States
                        Member #79057
                        August 26, 2009
                        70 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Democrats or republicans, it's the same thing.  Don't believe the hype.  Both parties have been headed in the same direction for at least 40 years.

By the way - I agree with you 100 percent.  Good post.

ChaosX's avatar - dnf
                          Morris County, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #114357
                          July 29, 2011
                          656 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2012, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Chaos - Surely you have those figures wrong.

According to the Oracle of a dog's *ss - Handouts can only begat more handouts.   Give people a helping hand and 100% of the time they'll sit on their lazy butts expecting more.    How could assistance have gone down since 2000 - particularly with the bad economy and all those lazy "dems" mooching.  If your right that would mean the great and all-blowing Ridge was... (wrong, ignorant, a petty small endowed vamint,  please feel free to post your own).

No, I know what's going on.  You must be one of those " libs" the Ridge man strokes himself to.   I'll tell you right now what he'd tell ya, "Yer better watch yerself son.. you must be one of those limp wristed dems who keeps a roll of USA flag toilet paper in his outhouse because u. r. anti-American.   I fart from my arse and my mouth and I don't see no green haus emmissions.   You watch yerself boy... with all those facts... you know they scare... I mean bore me.   Yeah that's it they bore me.  And if the Ridge man gets bored yer gonna get blocked.  Not cause I can't argue a point without looking like the tail end of a donkey, but because I get bored because I know everything.  Heed my warning... now the Ridgeman has to go... ther's karaoke at the bait shack tonight and the winner 20 minutes alone with Steve Earl's mule.   You know the Ridgeman has this locked up.

Sorry Chaos - the above was a bit of parody, just be forewarned that facts don't matter much to some of the twits on this site.

I lol'd.

I'm one who loves to debate politics and religion until I pass out.  But since this is about the lottery... well you can only just go so far.

I think pretty much everyone can at least agree that if you win a million dollars or more, despite taxes, it's still enough money that you should no longer be applicable for food stamps/welfare.

Beyond that is another discussion.

"If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer J. Simpson

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2012, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

I voted "No, if you still want more money, get a job!"

I only read the first two pages though, but not that really long post...

But here's the thing with welfare and lottery tickets, I'm on the fence about this.

Yes that money should be going towads things you need and not lottery tickets.  On the other hand that money spent on lottery tickets is just going back to the government.  State lotteries are government entities are they not?  I'm not sure about multi state lotteries, but aren't all lotteries just a branch of the government?

If anything there should be rules in place for people who's winnings exceed the non taxable (> $600) amount.  Since you have to file out tax forms, there's paper work.  So deduct what you won from your benefits or reduce them by a certain amount.

As for paying back welfare, I doubt that would ever happen.  And as for welfate itself, personally I think it's one of those political things that people have blown way, way, way out of proportion.  Non SS assistance, which basically means food stamps, welfare, and housing assistance are a mere 3.8% of GDP.  And that's down from 2000.   Since the introduction of welfare, the percentage compared to GDP has usually been on the decline. 

If you want actual numbers, I believe it's right around the $50 billion a year mark.  Now here's the part where I make up numbers.  Let's say there are 100 million people who pay taxes.  That's just a number I made up.  $50B/100M = $500 a year each tax payer pays for all low income assistance.  That of course comes out to $41.67 a month.  I would love to see this math done for the actual numbers, because beyond that I really can't include things like tax refunds, credits, etc.

My point is it's not a lot of money, compared to SS or national defense, and especially the federal reserve (biggest holder of US debt).

"...food stamps, welfare, and housing assistance are a mere 3.8% of GDP.  And that's down from 2000.   Since the introduction of welfare, the percentage compared to GDP has usually been on the decline."

Actually, Chaosx, your numbers are just a little off.

It's not 3.8% of the GDP, it's actually 12% of the GDP.   -->   http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/fed_spending_2012USrn

And it hasn't been in decline since 2000, it's been on the increase and in fact, since 2008 it's been skyrocketing. (see chart below)

And it's not "around the $50 billion a year mark". It was already at $74 billion over two years ago.

And you know what they say - "74 billion here and 74 billion there and the next thing you know, you're talking real money."

"My point is it's not a lot of money, compared to SS..." 

You say that like Social Security is something they give us. That's our money!

"Democrats or republicans, it's the same thing." 

Not exactly. There are people trying to reform the Republican Party, good people who love this country, like The Tea Party.

The democrats hate this country and hate it more with each passing day. 

Don't get your figures from the liberal leftwing loon hate-sites anymore if you want the truth.

Libs hate this country and making it look bad makes them feel good.

Or are you here to do the "I'm not either left or right but..." spin? 

*SNAP is the new name for Food Stamps.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #79057
                              August 26, 2009
                              70 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2012, 12:18 am - IP Logged

As they say up thar in them hill's, "That's all true thar son.  12% just go on that thar web thingy and it will prove it to ya you commie, pinko lib."

Of course what our hillbilly friend won't tell you is the site that he got this off of doesn't have one of "them thar fancy dot gov endings that tells yer from whence the numbers came."   No - if you look at the top of the page it plainly says all numbers compiled by Christopher Chantrill - who was kind enough to leave a link to his home page.   Go to Chris's home page and the first line across the top:

WELCOME. I am Christopher Chantrill, writer and conservative.

better yet.   Run a search for the numbers and you'll see his website comes up quite a bit for all sorts of facts and figures.   And I'll give Chris this, the site does look governmental... I'm sure Ridgy was mislead just like others.. It's very easy to fool a fool .  But don't say Republican propoganda... Ridgy will only tell ya your boring him and block you.  Did I mention he's a coward. 

Here's a quote from Newsvine as governmental info was tough to find:

According to The Budget for Fiscal Year 2008, Historical Tables, total outlays for Means Tested Entitlements in 2006 were $354.3 billion. This was 2.7% of GDP and

Of course I don't know that website, so that number could be totally meaningless.   But Ridgy's figures... we'll as they say out in a holla, "That dog don't hunt."

Page 7 of 12