Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 189 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
New Jersey
United States
Member #99032
October 18, 2010
1439 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

"nor does it mean that you can average better than the odds dictate."

I'll try to keep it simple. A group of 28 numbers creates 98,280 possible combos and there are 3,819,816 possible outcomes. That's 2.57% or odds of 39 to 1. You don't need 5 consecutive five number matches to beat the 39 to 1 odds; 2 out of 39 drawings is enough. During the test, Ronnie was the only one who consistently changed his 28 number groups and had the best results.

"You, of course, can win, but cannot consistently win in the long term."

Not by playing all 98,280 combos in every drawing even if is logistically possible. Using a more realistic 5000 combos a drawing, Ronnie had a five number match and correctly picked the bonus number. And because he only used 1 bonus number, every line paid off.

"So that means the average will not be better than the odds state."

You're still missing the point because even if whatever group of 28 numbers matched the probable 1 in 39 drawings one time, in that drawing the odds were reduced from 3,819,816 to 1 to 98,280 to 1. If reducing the odds by 97.43% isn't getting better odds, what is?

No, see you guys are missing the point.

The odds weren't reduced.  Because any one of the other numbers (not from the 28) could have showed up.  I don't get why you think crossing them off the list affects the machine that selects them.

But if you think just taking them off a list reduces your odds, whatever, I give up.  That's inherently fallicous, but whatever.

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #99032
    October 18, 2010
    1439 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Boney likes to disprove logic with other logic.

Boney touts the standard deviation, but he cant even figure out the mean.Roll Eyes

Boney doesn't realize that the standard deviation can change from year to year.

Boney also doesn't realize that at some point, logic must allow intution to take over.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah ok the standard deviation of a fixed set of known probabilities changes year by year.

The only time the STD DEV changes is when they change the game.  Of course - you could use a sample for STD DEV but you only do that when you don't have the real odds.

Which we do.  So you're entire point is completely moot!  Of course I know what a mean is.  You're the one who claims to understand all of this stuff, but doesn't even understand how to get standard deviation within the already retrevable POPULATION rather than SAMPLE.  To use the sample instead of the population when the population is available is idiotic.  Which is what you do, when you find that the STD DEV changes.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #99032
      October 18, 2010
      1439 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

BTW LottoBoner it almost seems as if you have to look these things up.

First you claim to understand STD DEV's relevance.  Then you post it's definition.  Then you fail to do a VERY SIMPLE STD DEV calculation.  Then you say you ignore it, because it's useless.  Then you post the definition of mean.

Hey, idiot, I said you can't average higher than the average.  You said "OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!!! DUURRRRR.  You can't AVERAGE MORE THAN THE AVERAGE over the long run in anything.  LOOK YOU POSTED 4 TIMES IN A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AND YOU NORMALLY POST 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why don't you either STOP attempting to act smart and throwing up definitions of words you clearly don't understand, or start actually trying to learn these basic concepts.

Oh you won't you're too busy using intuition to win the lottery.  What's that?  You haven't won yet?  In fact you haven't done better than anyone you know who just plays for fun?  In fact, you've lost more money than them!?  I'm sure your "overdue" with a windfall and the smartest thing to do is spend much, much, more money on any jackpot.  Because you know, it doesn't matter what size the JP is and the odds, as long as you use intuition, you're bound to win before going broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #99032
        October 18, 2010
        1439 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Im not quite sure why Boney and others turn a blind eye to simple logic and reason............

As I said before I'm not trying to prove a cosmic truth or do this for 1000 years strait without fail.......

Im just trying to get BETTER ODDS in the short term to help my chances of winning...........

Because in this case, your argument is not logical.

What force causes the balls you haven't chosen as part of your 28 to magically not want to show up in the draw?  None!

Obvisouly I know your answer is intuitive powers, but you must see why that is not logical.

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Because in this case, your argument is not logical.

What force causes the balls you haven't chosen as part of your 28 to magically not want to show up in the draw?  None!

Obvisouly I know your answer is intuitive powers, but you must see why that is not logical.

Congrats Boney you are beating the mean of  your daily posts with all these annoying posts!  Wow, you are right standard deviation really works in picking correct numbers!

Yes If i am not sure of something I look it up.  Obviously something you dont take the time to do.

I think you are as logical as a vulcan, and you need a serious mind meld.

Just because you can say standard deviation a thousand times, doesn't make you an expert on probability or your logic any more sound.

just as me saying proton and neutron a thousand times, doesn't make me a nuclear physicist.

I think its called the anti-boney force.

A newly discoverd integral phenemona in the quantum physics of lottery.

United States
            Member #124493
            March 14, 2012
            7023 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah ok the standard deviation of a fixed set of known probabilities changes year by year.

The only time the STD DEV changes is when they change the game.  Of course - you could use a sample for STD DEV but you only do that when you don't have the real odds.

Which we do.  So you're entire point is completely moot!  Of course I know what a mean is.  You're the one who claims to understand all of this stuff, but doesn't even understand how to get standard deviation within the already retrevable POPULATION rather than SAMPLE.  To use the sample instead of the population when the population is available is idiotic.  Which is what you do, when you find that the STD DEV changes.

Your not playing against a set of known probabilites, your playing against degrees of chance.  Boney if you are not going to be serious about winning.  And you dont believe we can do it, then you need to take a long walk off a short pier.

Whether you believe you can do it or cannot do it Boney, you will be right.

Boney. I can see your a troubled young individual.

So I would like to recommend a book to you.

Its called the "Power of positive thinking"

I suggest you read it.

Boney it sounds like you are getting your lottery expertise from a Biology 101 course.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #99032
              October 18, 2010
              1439 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2012, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Nope I'm fine.

I'm actually plenty positive.  I believe I can do plenty of things within the realm of reality.

I don't think I can do impossible things, such as bettering the odds in the lottery or flying.  If that makes me troubled according to you so be it.  I'll say it again, I can't change reality and do things that are impossible.  I don't see how that makes me troubled, in fact, I'd think it makes you troubled, that you believe reality will bend to your irrational thoughts.

And no, dude, population and sample are two very important and simple Statistics terms.  And for someone who claims to understand STD DEV, I'd think you'd know what they mean in terms of the math involved.... since you'd certainly need to.

And anyone who thinks the stated odds on the Lottery is wrong is just ridiculous.  Absolutely ridculous.  Especially someon who suggests suicide as an alternative to believing the lottery is beatable.  And you're calling ME troubled.

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2012, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Nope I'm fine.

I'm actually plenty positive.  I believe I can do plenty of things within the realm of reality.

I don't think I can do impossible things, such as bettering the odds in the lottery or flying.  If that makes me troubled according to you so be it.  I'll say it again, I can't change reality and do things that are impossible.  I don't see how that makes me troubled, in fact, I'd think it makes you troubled, that you believe reality will bend to your irrational thoughts.

And no, dude, population and sample are two very important and simple Statistics terms.  And for someone who claims to understand STD DEV, I'd think you'd know what they mean in terms of the math involved.... since you'd certainly need to.

And anyone who thinks the stated odds on the Lottery is wrong is just ridiculous.  Absolutely ridculous.  Especially someon who suggests suicide as an alternative to believing the lottery is beatable.  And you're calling ME troubled.

Boney you mispook.

You should say,

"I believe I can do plenty of thing within the realm of my reality"

Please dont try to trap me within the confines of your reality.

Talking about suicide is not positive thinking boney,

but please, do drone on.  I am sure there is a point to all this coming.  Oh yeah, I forgot you mentioned the point already.  Dont play the lottery cause you cant win. 

Boney are you on LP because all your friends dumped you on FB?

Now I know how those Hawaiians felt when the christian missonaries came.

Thinking of...

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7318 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

The odds weren't reduced.  Because any one of the other numbers (not from the 28) could have showed up.  I don't get why you think crossing them off the list affects the machine that selects them.

But if you think just taking them off a list reduces your odds, whatever, I give up.  That's inherently fallicous, but whatever.

"The odds weren't reduced."

"in that drawing the odds were reduced from 3,819,816 to 1 to 98,280 to 1."

It's not about 1 in 39 or 1 in a million, just the fact when a group of 28 numbers matches five numbers, the odds are reduced. Your argument makes no sense because several people successfully predicted their 28 number group would match five numbers before the drawing. Just because your group crapped out doesn't mean when it does finally match five the odds are not reduced in that drawing.

"But if you think just taking them off a list reduces your odds, whatever, I give up."

They only draw five numbers so in every drawing 51 numbers are taken off the list. Any group of 28 numbers has 23 useless numbers. The difference here is when a group matches five numbers (and probability says it should 1 in 39) the odds are reduced.

"That's inherently fallicous"

Look at the facts, there are 19,656 groups with each group only having a 2.56% chance in every drawing, yet all 19,656 did or will match five numbers in 5 consecutive drawings. That's 766,584 groups in 39 drawings and I'm only saying any one group should match five numbers only once in 39 drawings and get a 1 in 98,280 chance.

A group of 28 numbers creates 98,280 combos and once in about every 39 drawings one of those combos will match the drawing. Please explain how trying to choose one combo out of 98,280 is exactly the same as trying to choose one out of 3,819,816 combos?

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

I don't get why you think crossing them off the list affects the machine that selects them.

Why do you keep saying things that are stupid and idiotic Boney??

This is why I said your acting like a "superior being" yesterday, you are acting as judge over what peple think and what they are saying......... without even being close to the reality. 

Do you beleve statements like this are accurate, or are you just screwing around.....

Just wondering.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

If you flip a coin 3 times and correctly call heads 3 times, do you affect the rotation of the coin/?????

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

And if you get heads correct 3 times in a row did you get BETTER than expected ODDS (in the short term)?

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

This isn't some cosmic rocket science of religious enlightenment designed to recruit cult like disciples.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

My Mama told my that a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7318 Posts
                              Posted: December 19, 2012, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Nope I'm fine.

"And for someone who claims to understand STD DEV, I'd think you'd know what they mean in terms of the math involved.... since you'd certainly need to."

I apparently wrongly assumed anyone talking about standard deviation knew what "mean" is as it applies to lottery statistics. I didn't know it was possible to determine the standard deviation without knowing the mean.

Would it help if I said the "arithmetic mean", "median" or, "mode"?

Page 189 of 353