Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 291 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19964 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2013, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Sleep

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
    Member #93947
    July 10, 2010
    2180 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2013, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree with your point, but in general it does shed some light on the fact that the public (mostly QP) needed to play almost half the total combinations to match 5 of 5 seven times, and 5+1 once.

Actually, all it takes is one Draw, one Player, and one Winning Ticket!

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #99032
      October 18, 2010
      1439 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2013, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Why do you object to calling it "beating the odds"?

Because one of the possibilities is winning.  And with enough tickets bought, it's more likey to be won than not.  And because over a few draws, it's very likely to be won by someone.

And because if you flipped a coin and guessed it right you wouldn't call it beating the odds.  Extrapolate the logic out, and you'd have to realize that getting lucky doesn't mean you beat the odds - only that you got the best possible result possibel within the existing odds.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #99032
        October 18, 2010
        1439 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2013, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Im not sure what you mean, "Instead of responding to any claims made,"

Oh really?

So when I posted this...

"That's a pretty big assumption.  Context matters.  BTW a comma can indicate that a sentence is being split up into two seperate ideas.  So just because two words are in the same sentence doens't mean that one modifies another.  Like if I said that I like poker, but that some players are annoying - it's like concluding that I said that poker is annoying.

"poo-pooed" is relatively polite slang for ignored, or "shooed away."  The word massive wasn't even used in reference to the term "poo-pooed."

I'm sure if you ever wrote two paragraphs I could find two words, which, when used together may form an insult.  But I don't like to butcher someone else's words until I twist their meanings around.  Because that would be rather lame and childish.

And there's only 2 childish people on this topic.  (That would be you - and lottoboner.)  Despite the fact that Stack disagrees with me, and I've called him ignorant, he's a pretty polite guy.  Not childish, not derogtory. 

You on the other hand, have been quite childish - twisting people's words so that you don't have to respond to valid points."

But you replied to "I'm not going to call you stupid - but your last statement was a dumb thing to say."

You didn't realize that you were ignoring a claim I made?  I made the claim that You are acting childish, and said that I don't see how you conclude that Mediabrat is childish or derogatory.  I suspect you realized how dumb the statements you're making are, and chose to ignore any posts which show that you're being childish.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2013, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Actually, all it takes is one Draw, one Player, and one Winning Ticket!

Your evasive replies are getting so old Jimmy.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Oh really?

So when I posted this...

"That's a pretty big assumption.  Context matters.  BTW a comma can indicate that a sentence is being split up into two seperate ideas.  So just because two words are in the same sentence doens't mean that one modifies another.  Like if I said that I like poker, but that some players are annoying - it's like concluding that I said that poker is annoying.

"poo-pooed" is relatively polite slang for ignored, or "shooed away."  The word massive wasn't even used in reference to the term "poo-pooed."

I'm sure if you ever wrote two paragraphs I could find two words, which, when used together may form an insult.  But I don't like to butcher someone else's words until I twist their meanings around.  Because that would be rather lame and childish.

And there's only 2 childish people on this topic.  (That would be you - and lottoboner.)  Despite the fact that Stack disagrees with me, and I've called him ignorant, he's a pretty polite guy.  Not childish, not derogtory. 

You on the other hand, have been quite childish - twisting people's words so that you don't have to respond to valid points."

But you replied to "I'm not going to call you stupid - but your last statement was a dumb thing to say."

You didn't realize that you were ignoring a claim I made?  I made the claim that You are acting childish, and said that I don't see how you conclude that Mediabrat is childish or derogatory.  I suspect you realized how dumb the statements you're making are, and chose to ignore any posts which show that you're being childish.

Ok boney, I didn't realize that you are still talking about medbrat.....

In the first place boney, if I say something that is really stupid and you point it out and talk about it.......... Guess what....... I don't feel the least bit intimidated, or embarrassed, or otherwise regretful in any way, as YOU might suppose. So your wasting your time with all the finger pointing and fault finding.

(Are you also a henpecked husband? Just wondering.)

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Secondly boney, Im fully aware that your objective is to sidetrack the discussion topic which is no different than medbrats objective. And how are these actions NOT childish?

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:11 am - IP Logged

Because one of the possibilities is winning.  And with enough tickets bought, it's more likey to be won than not.  And because over a few draws, it's very likely to be won by someone.

And because if you flipped a coin and guessed it right you wouldn't call it beating the odds.  Extrapolate the logic out, and you'd have to realize that getting lucky doesn't mean you beat the odds - only that you got the best possible result possibel within the existing odds.

Ok boney, but again you miss the point completely.

"Beating the odds" is part of the human condition. People in all walks of life strive to "beat the odds" and do.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Set of 28 for MM. Fri, Feb. 8, 2013.

01 02 05 06 07 09 10 11 12 16 17 18 19 24 25 26 29 30 31 32 39 40 41 42 44 48 49 54

bonus ball 08 

2 of 5 on this draw.

Friday, February 08, 2013        06 ·15 · 20 · 39 · 50    05        4$12 Million

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Boney hit 3 of 5 on this draw.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
                      Park City, UT
                      United States
                      Member #69864
                      January 18, 2009
                      993 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I have been working on 15 sets of numbers for Powerball.  I have come up with the following 4 sets for MegaMillions for February only.  If one of them hits then it will match the short-term trends I am seeing for Powerball.

03-04-34-36-38-39-40-42-44-45-46-47-48-52-55
                      02-03-05-32-33-36-38-40-41-42-43-44-48-49-53
                      04-06-08-32-36-38-39-40-41-44-46-47-50-51-56
                      03-05-08-32-34-36-37-39-40-41-42-46-48-49-55

I hoping the one I highlited in red hits then I know I am on the right track when I generate new sets for March.  This strategy emphasizes 1 low number with 4 high numbers.

The hard part is no wheel really captures the winning combination.  If I was to form a combination from row 3 the one I highlited I would choose the following:

1 number from (04, 06, 08) if you know DMP speak then 1 number from LT (Lower Third).
                      1 number from (32, 36, 38) if you know DMP then a number not in LT or UT (Upper Third).
                      3 numbers from (39, 40, 41, 44, 46, 47, 50, 51, 56) the consecutives are especially in play.  Again if you know DMP then 3 numbers from UT.

Combos 06-32-41-44-46 or 08-32-39-40-41 would be examples.

So if the strategy pans out  I might have to create a custom wheel.  Lets see what happens for February.

Jimmy

I hit 3 of 5 with my red highlited set that contained 15 numbers or 3003 combinations.

Jimmy

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2013, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Why do you object to calling it "beating the odds"?

Probably because he doesn't like anyone applying odds conditionally or maybe because he wants to nit-pic the difference between saying 1 chance in 6 chances and 1 way to win and 5 ways to lose.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7344 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

"And with enough tickets bought, it's more likey to be won than not."

For the $207 million jackpot, at the most only 20% of all the possible outcomes were sold. How many tickets are enough to make a jackpot winner likely?

Ignore the fact the percentages favored the jackpot not being won by 5 to 1, the one winning ticket was still only one out of over 32 million tickets sold. Nobody beat the odds, they just won, right?

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2013, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

"And with enough tickets bought, it's more likey to be won than not."

For the $207 million jackpot, at the most only 20% of all the possible outcomes were sold. How many tickets are enough to make a jackpot winner likely?

Ignore the fact the percentages favored the jackpot not being won by 5 to 1, the one winning ticket was still only one out of over 32 million tickets sold. Nobody beat the odds, they just won, right?

Ignore the fact the percentages favored the jackpot not being won by 5 to 1, the one winning ticket was still only one out of over 32 million tickets sold. Nobody beat the odds, they just won, right?

No they did not beat the odds.  They were victims of innumeracy.

(now wealthy victims i might add)

And I dont think it was a quick pick.  It was a "partial quick pick"

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

I hit 3 of 5 with my red highlited set that contained 15 numbers or 3003 combinations.

Jimmy

You could have won seven dollars using this LP wheel

Abbrev 3 if 3 of 15153 if 357Highly balanced (Each number appears 19 times)

Page 291 of 353