Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 309 of 353
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #124493
March 14, 2012
7023 Posts
Posted: February 17, 2013, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

You have chosen to hide this message posted by jimmy4164.

Thanks for posting Jammy!!LOL

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
    Member #48046
    December 7, 2006
    1699 Posts
    Posted: February 17, 2013, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Congrats to kosmic for getting 3 right in the Maddog thread!

Congrats Ronnie for getting 4/28 correct!!! (expensive wheel!)

Congrats to gopher for picking the correct mega ball out of two tries!!  Congrats max too!!!

Congrats to me for catching that flag formation LDS for digit one!

However I forgot to play, as I have been concentrating on my 6/40 heavily and putting some real money down.  So far one wheel of ten bucks netted three bucks. I am happy because I did not meet the wheel guarentee and I still won some coin!

Now that is LUCKY!!!

I was checking some old tickets from Jan 11 for MM, and I had a 11 13 41 43 44, so that is damgod close!Jester Laugh

Still cant find my ticket from tuesday I am very curious to see If i had 3/5 correct, i know i was trying to walk the talk with my LDS ones. 

Good luck players!!!

I need that SWEET MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And  Congrat's to LottoBoner,

for..... Everything

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: February 17, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

I have been running a LOTTO649POOL based totally on this question. My opinion ? YES !!! your right, it is not a random event, 

Odds of winning Lotto 649 is 1 in 13,983,816 in each draw. Since June 12, 1982 to date, there have been 3,031 draws. I have charted certain combinations and found some combinations come out very frequently and some not at all. I am still able to refine a little. Long story short, this is where I am at now... 33.3% ( 1 in 3 draws ) or better, I can and DO get the last 2 numbers drawn, GUARANTEED, ALWAYS !!!!,

Did you mean you always get the last 2 numbers drawn or you always match at least 2? 

We have a 649 game in Ohio too and it seldom that I don't match 2 at least once when I play,but the odds of matching 2 are 1:8 and I usually play 10 lines so I figured it wasn't worth bragging about since it doesn't pay anything.

We've only had 951 drawings, so the game hasn't run long enough to expect combinations of six to repeat.  Even when its combinations are combined with the combinations of the old Super Lotto(6/49+1) of a few years earlier there has never been a repeat combination of six although several combinations of five have repeated.

In 2002 I matched 5of6 in the old Super Lotto and that was the best I've ever done in any lottery.   That's the only reason I still play the game even though I usually win a larger percentage of my money back playing MM.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

And  Congrat's to LottoBoner,

for..... Everything

I Agree! Congrats LottoBoner for being LottoBoner. Your awesomistically optimistically awesome.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to LP, KING2B!

Just curious, how many games do you play per draw, and what wheels do you use?

I Agree! Welcome A649KING2B

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the link Ronnie316!!! Super nice!!! With what I have been working on and seeing for the three and four,  this has made me push myself even harder now. This has been a nice little push and is appreciated!!!

Best of luck to all!!!

Edit: Any positive push forward is much appreciated!!!

Your welcome. I thought it was cool too. Good luck and good success with your work.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

People buy QPs because they want a piece of the action and a chance at winning millions. I really doubt the majority of them are interested in what they can expect to win by not winning the jackpot and run a Monte Carlo simulation. The mathematicians would have us believing a player who bought 100 tickets on a $300 million jackpot, did it to get 3 to 1 odds of matching 3 numbers and collecting 7 bucks. This discussion isn't about why people play lottery games, but discussion about other ways to play lottery games for those who do.

Didn't Thrifty say it's a 50/50 proposition when he buys $5 worth of tickets; he's betting $5 to win millions or will lose $5. Our mathematicians will get out their simulators and tell Thrifty how much he could expect to lose making the same bet 50 million more times ignoring the fact it was just one $5 bet made one time so he can dream about winning millions for a couple of days.

"It's impossible" didn't stop the Wright Brothers from taking flight."

Wilbur Wright wasn't the first man to fly, but he and Orville saw the potential and designed a plane for controlled flight. Before that flying wasn't much different than throwing a paper plane into the air and hoping it didn't spiral back to earth. While their first flights were controlled, the saw the potential of finding better, easier, and safer ways of controlling man flight.

We're not talking about controlling the MM outcomes, but see the potential in controlling our bets. Anyone can figure the probabilities of 28 numbers matching five numbers over extended trials by ignoring the possibilities and potential of multiple five number matches in a short period of time. We're trying to win millions on one jackpot and their trying to make it look like we're trying to win billions by winning every jackpot.

Your guess is as good as mine of why anyone would call matching 5 + 1 a failure, but I guess the same people would say the Wright Brothers were failures because their first flight wasn't a trans-continental flight and their second flight wasn't to the Moon and back.

Thanks Stack. Im sure the very same intellectuals who worship Sir Isaac Newton in hindsight would have been quick to announce his work laughable and call him a blithering idiot had they been there to do so.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi Jimmy............... for the next powerball drawing I can predict the next powerball number I am right 75% of the time. I been studying everyone post on here for the last 2 weeks.....03 or 42

Nice work gopher07 , we played those on MM this week end, so you get credit for 75% correct to date.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! "You have chosen to hide this message posted by  jimmy4164."

Thanks for the post jimmy jimmy go jimmy, jimmy jimmy bo jimmy, jimmy jimmy jo jimmy.....

jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmy.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Since posting my following line of 15 I have hit 3 of 5, 2 of 5, and 2 of 5.  I highlited the hits in red.

04-06-08-32-36-38-39-40-41-44-46-47-50-51-56

that leaves the following as yet to hit:

04-08-36-40-46-47-51-56

It only takes 56 combos to fully cover 5 if 5 of 8 wheel.

Jimmy

I think I will try the 4 if 4 wheel. Its worth $20. to see if I can hit 4 and get the bonus.

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2013, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

I have to be checkin out. Have a good night everyone. Sleep

United States
                          Member #93947
                          July 10, 2010
                          2180 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the great Nova link.

"Are winning numbers fractals?"

If they are, then our selections would likely have to be as well.  But then,  what would we have, a battle of the Fractals?  Smile

I think it would be better to read this before deciding...

http://kmci.org/alllifeisproblemsolving/archives/notes-for-black-swan-ideas-lottery-ticket-and-ludic-fallacies-mandelbrodtian-randomness-gray-swans-and-the-narrative-fallacy/

Thanks again,Ronnie316.

As you may have noticed,Stack47 said,

"Your guess is as good as mine of why anyone would call matching 5 + 1 a failure, but I guess the same people would say the Wright Brothers were failures because their first flight wasn't a trans-continental flight and their second flight wasn't to the Moon and back."

When the Wright brothers looked up into their North Carolina skies, they saw leaves blowing and birds flying, inspirations and unquestionable evidence and support for their dreams.  There has been no credible evidence presented here to support an affirmative answer to the Topic Question.  However, there is a multitude of evidence to the contrary.

http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/index.htm 

"Wind, sand, and a dream of flight brought Wilbur and Orville Wright to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina where, after four years of experimentation, they achieved the first successful airplane flights in 1903. With courage and perseverance, these self-taught engineers relied on teamwork and application of the scientific process. What they achieved changed our world forever."

--Jimmy4164

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2013, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

On February 15th at 1:56pm you said, "Any strategy is much better than trying to get lucky with QPs."  I take this to mean that you don't think much of the Quick Picks in Kentucky.  Based on what just happened in Virginia, I'm thinking it might be worth your while to put up with the trouble and expense of traveling there to purchase your Big Game tickets.  The state Random Number Generators there seem to be working quite well.

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/257237 

"His winning numbers were 5-27-36-38-41, chosen randomly through Easy Pick's computer system."

Jimmy4164

p.s. I've read that nearly 70% of these Jackpots are won with Quick Picks, mirroring the fact that 70% of the tickets purchased are also Quick Picks.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5600 Posts
                              Posted: February 18, 2013, 8:30 am - IP Logged

People buy QPs because they want a piece of the action and a chance at winning millions. I really doubt the majority of them are interested in what they can expect to win by not winning the jackpot and run a Monte Carlo simulation. The mathematicians would have us believing a player who bought 100 tickets on a $300 million jackpot, did it to get 3 to 1 odds of matching 3 numbers and collecting 7 bucks. This discussion isn't about why people play lottery games, but discussion about other ways to play lottery games for those who do.

Didn't Thrifty say it's a 50/50 proposition when he buys $5 worth of tickets; he's betting $5 to win millions or will lose $5. Our mathematicians will get out their simulators and tell Thrifty how much he could expect to lose making the same bet 50 million more times ignoring the fact it was just one $5 bet made one time so he can dream about winning millions for a couple of days.

"It's impossible" didn't stop the Wright Brothers from taking flight."

Wilbur Wright wasn't the first man to fly, but he and Orville saw the potential and designed a plane for controlled flight. Before that flying wasn't much different than throwing a paper plane into the air and hoping it didn't spiral back to earth. While their first flights were controlled, the saw the potential of finding better, easier, and safer ways of controlling man flight.

We're not talking about controlling the MM outcomes, but see the potential in controlling our bets. Anyone can figure the probabilities of 28 numbers matching five numbers over extended trials by ignoring the possibilities and potential of multiple five number matches in a short period of time. We're trying to win millions on one jackpot and their trying to make it look like we're trying to win billions by winning every jackpot.

Your guess is as good as mine of why anyone would call matching 5 + 1 a failure, but I guess the same people would say the Wright Brothers were failures because their first flight wasn't a trans-continental flight and their second flight wasn't to the Moon and back.

I just bought my Texas 2 Step, MM, PB, and Texas Lotto tickets yesterday for the first half of the week. I almost always pick my own numbers but this time I wanted to take a break so I just got all QP's.

Kinda interesting that most of them are not weird, 1-2-3-4-5-6, etc, but, on my Lotto tic, the numbers are over 6 decades. A single, a teen, a 20's, 30's 40's and a 50's. Personally, I would never pick 6 numbers over 6 decades for this game, because numbers like that are draw maybe once or twice a year. So, yes it is entirely possible it can happen, and it will happen sometime, it's just numbers over 4 decades are drawn the majority of the time. 

RJoH said it best some time ago, "What happens most often is most likely to happen again".

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Page 309 of 353