Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 133 of 182
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #157108
July 8, 2014
16 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2014, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

I do agree that there is a lack of creativity in the games.  The lottery has been going downhill since they started the $10 and up scratchers.  The odds were suppose to be better than the lower domination but it is just slightly better.  I have witness a 6-7 consecutive $20 losing tickets.  The daily draws are better as it require less to play and you can control how much you buying.  Fantasy 5 and Daily 3 are still good games to play and it doesn't hurt the wallet as much.  They need the get rid of $1 lineup entirely as those are sucker bets.  Quit coming up with games that involve a brand name that require them to pay royalties (monopoly, WOF, sports team { a few years back}.  I am cutting back significantly and just dumping more money into my savings account.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2014, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for sharing from your high volume sources (I know the CALottery treats them with the utmost care). I had the feeling scratchers are going downhill.

I do not think the CALottery can do anything about gambling in general, or the long term harm it creates on players. Those big wins are mostly funded by the hardcore players who are not rewarded for their play. Sometimes it takes some time to come to a realization that it is not too worth it anymore.

I personally think now Fantasy 5 is slowly becoming CALottery's best game they offer.

I absolutely agree Fantasy 5 is their best game.  Since February I pretty much scaled back on Scratcher play all together.  I got really lucky with the $500 win on my first $20 ticket last month.  I bought some WoF of various denominations and wasn't too happy, so I quit playing Scratchers.

I play mostly Fantasy 5 these days sprinkled with jp games, and daily 3 and 4.

United States
      Member #157108
      July 8, 2014
      16 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2014, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

For Daily 3 or Daily 4, do you all play double or triple numbers?  I do this as I want a bigger payout and dont care for three different digits.  I also use the technique of just switching one number from the previous draw. It seems like the lottery like to play mind games and just switch one number.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:01 am - IP Logged

For Daily 3 or Daily 4, do you all play double or triple numbers?  I do this as I want a bigger payout and dont care for three different digits.  I also use the technique of just switching one number from the previous draw. It seems like the lottery like to play mind games and just switch one number.

Since we're pari-mutuel I play whatever.  One thing though, never play triples because they don't pay anywhere close to $500. 

I've noticed that too, sometimes the numbers only change one digit from one draw to the next.

California
          United States
          Member #156715
          June 27, 2014
          33 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2014, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Since we're pari-mutuel I play whatever.  One thing though, never play triples because they don't pay anywhere close to $500. 

I've noticed that too, sometimes the numbers only change one digit from one draw to the next.

Yeah, I played 555 on a whim -- kept hearing fives everywhere -- and when I saw the straight paid $581 I didn't even have to look at the drawing to know I hadn't won.

My line on Fantasy 5 is $250k and on Daily Derby it's $400k. Those are gut feelings, I should do some math and see if they make sense. I don't play Daily 3/4 or Hot Spot seriously, just if I have a buck or two lying around. Even then I'm more likely to do a $1 or $2 scratcher, just for the fun of a 2nd Chance code. I did the math a while back and I think a $1 scratcher and D3/4/HS all pay about 65% back, or even less for D3/4.

But with that combo key and the big mini-jack on PB (it was $5.5m last time, and it's rolling again -- $5.8m, maybe $5.7m if no one plays because the big jack hit) I'm all about PB/SLP on the draw games for now.

United States
            Member #147165
            September 24, 2013
            507 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2014, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Since Daily 3 is pari-mutuel, is not wise to play numbers that most people might play for fun like

911 - emergency

007 - bond

747 - airline

369 - multiples of 3

246 - multiples of 2

Any Triples - Particularly

401 - investment

714, 323, 213, 626, 818, 925, 560, 609, 949, 909, 650, 560, 310, 562 - area codes

123 - most common

The challenge is to pick numbers that nobody usually picks to get more than the standard $290 for half and half straight + box or $500 straight.

I played Daily 3 for a month and did not match a single set at 10 plays a day. The 50% payout rate does not make this game as rewarding.

United States
              Member #147165
              September 24, 2013
              507 Posts
              Posted: July 10, 2014, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I played 555 on a whim -- kept hearing fives everywhere -- and when I saw the straight paid $581 I didn't even have to look at the drawing to know I hadn't won.

My line on Fantasy 5 is $250k and on Daily Derby it's $400k. Those are gut feelings, I should do some math and see if they make sense. I don't play Daily 3/4 or Hot Spot seriously, just if I have a buck or two lying around. Even then I'm more likely to do a $1 or $2 scratcher, just for the fun of a 2nd Chance code. I did the math a while back and I think a $1 scratcher and D3/4/HS all pay about 65% back, or even less for D3/4.

But with that combo key and the big mini-jack on PB (it was $5.5m last time, and it's rolling again -- $5.8m, maybe $5.7m if no one plays because the big jack hit) I'm all about PB/SLP on the draw games for now.

$1 Scratcher has 57% average payout considering TICKET prizes will be redeemed for another Ticket.

For HS, it depends on the number of spots you play. 4-spot has the highest percentage return at about 65% (without BullsEye).

I too play PB only when the 5/5 + No Power reaches $2 Million+. Right now its over $5.5mil, I think its been growing slower than usual from $2million to $5.5million. I think people notice getting the low tier prizes are horrific.

Most occasions, 1 + Power pays $3 and just the Power pays $4

California
                United States
                Member #156715
                June 27, 2014
                33 Posts
                Posted: July 10, 2014, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

$1 Scratcher has 57% average payout considering TICKET prizes will be redeemed for another Ticket.

For HS, it depends on the number of spots you play. 4-spot has the highest percentage return at about 65% (without BullsEye).

I too play PB only when the 5/5 + No Power reaches $2 Million+. Right now its over $5.5mil, I think its been growing slower than usual from $2million to $5.5million. I think people notice getting the low tier prizes are horrific.

Most occasions, 1 + Power pays $3 and just the Power pays $4

I've got a HS 4-spot QP play slip in my little blue plastic case. One for 5-spot, too, it's almost as good as 4. Not only on payout but also because at the $1 level, nowhere close to $600, so no mailing a ticket in and waiting! I'll buy a few when I walk into the grocery store, do the shopping, then see if I've won when I'm done. Big Grin

Yeah, the mini-jack is what I call 5/5 + No Power. I think the Powerball site calls it a Match 5. In any event it's too good not to try for, especially with the combo key. If it were an annuity it'd be a $10 million jackpot all on its own!

As far as free ticket prizes go, have you ever had a retailer hold you to that? If you play at grocery stores or the like they have to give you cash considering they only sell out of vending machines, they can't give you a free ticket. I assumed other stores knew that and gave their customers the same benefit, seems unfair not to.

United States
                  Member #154794
                  April 29, 2014
                  60 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2014, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I've got a HS 4-spot QP play slip in my little blue plastic case. One for 5-spot, too, it's almost as good as 4. Not only on payout but also because at the $1 level, nowhere close to $600, so no mailing a ticket in and waiting! I'll buy a few when I walk into the grocery store, do the shopping, then see if I've won when I'm done. Big Grin

Yeah, the mini-jack is what I call 5/5 + No Power. I think the Powerball site calls it a Match 5. In any event it's too good not to try for, especially with the combo key. If it were an annuity it'd be a $10 million jackpot all on its own!

As far as free ticket prizes go, have you ever had a retailer hold you to that? If you play at grocery stores or the like they have to give you cash considering they only sell out of vending machines, they can't give you a free ticket. I assumed other stores knew that and gave their customers the same benefit, seems unfair not to.

Usually when I play at CVS and or other grocery stores with vending machines they give me cash for the vending machine . At a 7-11 I went to turn in a CB ticket. They didn't have anymore CB tickets. I was stuck getting $10.00 worth of tickets from games that I don't like. The clerk got upset because it took me so long. Sorry I study the odds of certain scratcher games and ignore the rest. Big Grin Now I know not to turn tickets in at 7-11 unless I am sure they have a scratcher game I want.

California
                    United States
                    Member #156715
                    June 27, 2014
                    33 Posts
                    Posted: July 10, 2014, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Usually when I play at CVS and or other grocery stores with vending machines they give me cash for the vending machine . At a 7-11 I went to turn in a CB ticket. They didn't have anymore CB tickets. I was stuck getting $10.00 worth of tickets from games that I don't like. The clerk got upset because it took me so long. Sorry I study the odds of certain scratcher games and ignore the rest. Big Grin Now I know not to turn tickets in at 7-11 unless I am sure they have a scratcher game I want.

Wow, that clerk's a jerk. If he can't give you what you want you should just get the money. Every time I've asked for cash value on a free ticket prize, I've gotten it. Maybe they're just more laidback about that in some places. I mean, it's not like the people at CVS are gonna complain if you put the cash in your pocket and walk away are they?

Bay Area, CA
                      United States
                      Member #155944
                      June 3, 2014
                      23 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2014, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I quit playing for about 2 weeks and then decided to try a few games today with HORRIBLE results.

$10 Crossword Bonus

8 losers in a row (#36 to #43)

1 Free ticket (#44)

5 losers in a row (#45 to #49) - end of pack

I am done for good. Hopefully I have enough willpower to stop this time.

One positive is the store owner collects losers and gave them to me. There are probably 200+ various tickets. Maybe I'll find a thrown away winner in there and I'll have fun entering them on the website.

Btw I know the FAQ suggests to keep 2nd chance tickets but how many of you actually do? The FAQ also states it isn't necessary to have the ticket with the winning 2nd chance number. I have way too many and I really want to just throw them in the recycling bin.

United States
                        Member #147165
                        September 24, 2013
                        507 Posts
                        Posted: July 10, 2014, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Virtually every place where they have vending machines CVS Pharmacy and Supermarkets just give out cash.

Just a slight few (that I will not go again) required redemption of the ticket. The one place I go will give me cash.

The one place where it is strictly enforced (I've mentioned it many times), the Lotto Store in Nipton has a ticket roll next to the cashier where they just give you the ticket without question.

If you recalculate the payouts by eliminating the TICKET tier of prizes, it will round to the 73% payout for $10 and 68% payout, 63% for $2 and $3 stated from the Product Retail Plan.

United States
                          Member #154794
                          April 29, 2014
                          60 Posts
                          Posted: July 10, 2014, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I quit playing for about 2 weeks and then decided to try a few games today with HORRIBLE results.

$10 Crossword Bonus

1 Free ticket (#44)

One positive is the store owner collects losers and gave them to me. There are probably 200+ various tickets. Maybe I'll find a thrown away winner in there and I'll have fun entering them on the website.

Btw I know the FAQ suggests to keep 2nd chance tickets but how many of you actually do? The FAQ also states it isn't necessary to have the ticket with the winning 2nd chance number. I have way too many and I really want to just throw them in the recycling bin.

Sorry about the losers. Hope you find a winner. We never did good on the CB tickets.

I thought we should keep the 2nd chance tickets just in case something happens. I can't wait for all the drawings the drawer is getting too full. The ones that we did throw away we shredded them.

California
                            United States
                            Member #156715
                            June 27, 2014
                            33 Posts
                            Posted: July 10, 2014, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

$10 Crossword Bonus

1 Free ticket (#44)

That losing streak sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Dead

I've never kept a 2nd Chance ticket. They don't post the winning code, they post the name of the account holder, right? Any particular losing ticket isn't likely to do somebody any good.

California
                              United States
                              Member #156715
                              June 27, 2014
                              33 Posts
                              Posted: July 10, 2014, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Heywaitaminnit.

They also put 2nd Chance codes on SLP. And those you play if you win or lose. A 2nd Chance code on a winning SLP ticket means the ticket goes away right? So how could they expect you to have it?

Nah. Throw the tickets away after you put the code in.

Page 133 of 182