Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 11:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 136 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
Pasadena, CA
United States
Member #153326
March 13, 2014
186 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2014, 12:15 am - IP Logged

This lottery retailer near my work is really starting to annoy me.  Yesterday, I took a $20 Scratcher winner, and I just wanted cash, and he (owner) kept pushing why I didn't want to buy some tickets instead.  Well, because I don't!  I didn't really think much of it until today, I had a Fantasy 5 3of5 winner for $13.  I went to cash that and get one Powerball ticket.  The same guy without asking me prints a Fantasy 5 ticket on his own after printing my Powerball ticket and says, here you take this Fantasy 5, I feel lucky for you.  I'm like WTF!  I just wanted one Powerball and $11 back.

Anyone have similar experiences where the clerk or owner pushes lottery sales on you without asking first.

Not quite, but I remember way back in 2006, I cashed a $50 winner on a $2 scratcher. And the clerk--this was at a 7-Eleven--insisted that he keep $1 for himself as "commission." I let him keep the buck, but I never saw him working again at that store.

United States
    Member #157108
    July 8, 2014
    16 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2014, 1:47 am - IP Logged

This is really tricky and shady as he intentionally did it on purpose.  Several occasion, I had purchase a ticket printed in mistake as it could be the "one" or a winner.  If there is 3-4 scratcher in a remaining roll, I do purchase them all and not leave one remaining.  I can't tell you how many times I've been burn by not purchase the last scratcher.

United States
      Member #147165
      September 24, 2013
      507 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2014, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

This is really tricky and shady as he intentionally did it on purpose.  Several occasion, I had purchase a ticket printed in mistake as it could be the "one" or a winner.  If there is 3-4 scratcher in a remaining roll, I do purchase them all and not leave one remaining.  I can't tell you how many times I've been burn by not purchase the last scratcher.

Probably the store owner only wanted to give back $10 instead of the $11, as well as trying to sneak in sales profit even though it will just be 6 cents. So an intentional print out a another ticket is done to persuade the player to keep trying for a winning streak which is hard to do because of the high odds.

CALottery draws are voidable with a refund if it is done at the terminal within a certain timeframe after the ticket is printed. PowerBall and Mega Millions are not refundable what so ever.

Retailers have the option to not cash out winners that are valued at $25 or more, thought they were going to increase it to $50 because of the $20 scratcher. Thus a good amount of retailers only offer to cash out a $500 ticket if they can compromise with the player to buy more tickets to reduce the amount paid to the player. There is no obligations on both sides however.

California
        United States
        Member #156715
        June 27, 2014
        33 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2014, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Probably the store owner only wanted to give back $10 instead of the $11, as well as trying to sneak in sales profit even though it will just be 6 cents. So an intentional print out a another ticket is done to persuade the player to keep trying for a winning streak which is hard to do because of the high odds.

CALottery draws are voidable with a refund if it is done at the terminal within a certain timeframe after the ticket is printed. PowerBall and Mega Millions are not refundable what so ever.

Retailers have the option to not cash out winners that are valued at $25 or more, thought they were going to increase it to $50 because of the $20 scratcher. Thus a good amount of retailers only offer to cash out a $500 ticket if they can compromise with the player to buy more tickets to reduce the amount paid to the player. There is no obligations on both sides however.

Yeah, whenever I have anything in the $100-$599 range (not as often as I'd like letmetellyou), I take it into a grocery store. They've never pressured me into buying tickets (can't sell scratchers, I guess they could ask me to spend it on draw games) and they've always got lots of $20s in back.

If I ever had a gas station/convenience store try to cheat me or talk me into getting plays I don't want, I just wouldn't go back. But there are a lot of options around here, everybody knows I could just walk across the street or up the block.

United States
          Member #154794
          April 29, 2014
          60 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2014, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, whenever I have anything in the $100-$599 range (not as often as I'd like letmetellyou), I take it into a grocery store. They've never pressured me into buying tickets (can't sell scratchers, I guess they could ask me to spend it on draw games) and they've always got lots of $20s in back.

If I ever had a gas station/convenience store try to cheat me or talk me into getting plays I don't want, I just wouldn't go back. But there are a lot of options around here, everybody knows I could just walk across the street or up the block.

Thanks for the tip about the grocery store. One time I was told they didn't have enough money to cash a ticket.  I walked out. If I don't like how someone treats me. I don't go back into the store. 

The CA Lottery website is new. The Lucky Retailers aren't listed correctly. Oh joy

California
            United States
            Member #156715
            June 27, 2014
            33 Posts
            Posted: July 18, 2014, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the tip about the grocery store. One time I was told they didn't have enough money to cash a ticket.  I walked out. If I don't like how someone treats me. I don't go back into the store. 

The CA Lottery website is new. The Lucky Retailers aren't listed correctly. Oh joy

Every website redesign is garbage (people like what they're used to), but the main page is more than a redesign, it's a redirection. They're not talking to players any more, they're talking to, I dunno, retailers? Politicians? The public at large? Seems like a mistake, I bet 95% of their traffic is people just wanting to check their numbers on draw games.

The old main page is still up, under play. I tried to post a URL and got the new member spam warning. Funsies.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23349 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2014, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Every website redesign is garbage (people like what they're used to), but the main page is more than a redesign, it's a redirection. They're not talking to players any more, they're talking to, I dunno, retailers? Politicians? The public at large? Seems like a mistake, I bet 95% of their traffic is people just wanting to check their numbers on draw games.

The old main page is still up, under play. I tried to post a URL and got the new member spam warning. Funsies.

You know, I have to agree with you on the CA redesign.  I wonder what they were thinking.  People going to the site to get information about the games (why else would they be going there?) are going to have some trouble finding anything.  All that corporate and anti-gambling info taking center stage seems oddly out of place.  What on Earth are the lotteries thinking these days??

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #149492
                December 2, 2013
                919 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2014, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Oh, joy!  People won $1 on MM and $1 on SLP!  Where do I sign up, I wanna play and win a buck too!  Banana

United States
                  Member #154794
                  April 29, 2014
                  60 Posts
                  Posted: July 19, 2014, 9:34 am - IP Logged

How do they even know who won? I think it's  crazy. I need more zeros behind the one. lol

Pasadena, CA
                    United States
                    Member #153326
                    March 13, 2014
                    186 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2014, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

How do they even know who won? I think it's  crazy. I need more zeros behind the one. lol

People from out of state who buy tickets, leave California and mail them in if they have any winners. "Dennis R. from Seattle won $50 playing Triple 7's" or something to that effect.

United States
                      Member #156026
                      June 6, 2014
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2014, 6:22 am - IP Logged

from the CA Lotto website FAQs section:

"If you ever feel you were not paid correctly for your Lottery ticket(s), you can contact our Security & Law Enforcement toll-free at 800-LOTTERY (800-568-8379) and speak to a representative. Please be able to provide the following information:

• The retailer you redeemed your ticket(s) at (name, retailer ID number, and/or address)
                      • The date and time of incident
                      • Ticket information
                      • The amount you were paid for your ticket(s)?"

even if it's just a pushy/bully clerk the lottery will keep it on file.  i'm sure they notice when a particular store gets a lot of complaints.

this would probably make that store a more likely target for their sting operation where a lotto employee gives the clerk a specially marked big winner to see if he handles it honestly.

United States
                        Member #154794
                        April 29, 2014
                        60 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2014, 11:19 am - IP Logged

A friend of mine says you should buy one ticket from different places. I use to buy multiple tickets from one place. What do you think?

United States
                          Member #157108
                          July 8, 2014
                          16 Posts
                          Posted: July 21, 2014, 3:30 am - IP Logged

I would say it depends on where the rollof scratchers is at than the store.  I would say if you know something that came out of the same roll such as $50, $100, $500.  I wouldn't touch it.  If it is a pack that just began, I would take my chances with that.

California
                            United States
                            Member #147209
                            September 25, 2013
                            90 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2014, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

How often have you all seen winners from the first ticket or the last ticket on a roll?  I always cringe when I get the #000 ticket or the #49 because I think in my mind that there is no way a big winner will be on the first or last ticket for some reason.  Probably because most of the time it works out that way on my end.  I have won $100 on the last ticket before but never anything of note on the first number.

United States
                              Member #147165
                              September 24, 2013
                              507 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2014, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

How often have you all seen winners from the first ticket or the last ticket on a roll?  I always cringe when I get the #000 ticket or the #49 because I think in my mind that there is no way a big winner will be on the first or last ticket for some reason.  Probably because most of the time it works out that way on my end.  I have won $100 on the last ticket before but never anything of note on the first number.

I would say most of the time I lose on the first ticket 000, like more than 80% of the time.

A good amount of times I win a small prize (e.g. $15 or $20 on a $10 ticket, or $10 or $15 on a $5 ticket) on the last ticket of the roll.

I would think we see less significant wins from either end because if someone finds out about a big win, the rest of the roll is hard to sell off. CatScratch recently posted a $1000 win from the $5 7's game on the last ticket #79.

Page 136 of 182