Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 134 of 182
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #157108
July 8, 2014
16 Posts
Posted: July 11, 2014, 3:22 am - IP Logged

I've always received the cash value on ticket prizes as they recognize me already.  I know my local Safeway or Vons in So Cal always give the cash value as they only sell via a vending machine.  At the store I visit, there is a lady that plays about 1200-1500 per week and plays everything.  This past week, she hit 5/5 with the bulls eye on the hot spot for $950.  Since she plays so much and the owners know her, she gets the $950 cash money.  I spent about $30 in scratchers the last 2 days and my return is $7.  It is pretty pathetic and just buy a winner.

United States
    Member #154794
    April 29, 2014
    60 Posts
    Posted: July 11, 2014, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I've always received the cash value on ticket prizes as they recognize me already.  I know my local Safeway or Vons in So Cal always give the cash value as they only sell via a vending machine.  At the store I visit, there is a lady that plays about 1200-1500 per week and plays everything.  This past week, she hit 5/5 with the bulls eye on the hot spot for $950.  Since she plays so much and the owners know her, she gets the $950 cash money.  I spent about $30 in scratchers the last 2 days and my return is $7.  It is pretty pathetic and just buy a winner.

I never understood why prizes of a $1,000 or less aren't paid by the retailer. It makes more sense to me.

United States
      Member #147165
      September 24, 2013
      507 Posts
      Posted: July 11, 2014, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

For prizes over $599, you have to file a claim to the CALottery in which the winnings are reported to the IRS and taxes must be paid for that win. If the store owners claim it on the lady's behalf while giving her the full amount of the winning, that is very loyal and generous of them to do so.

Still 1200-1500 a week is a lot of expected losses per week since the returns for most of the games are 50 - 70%. The lady must have a solid retirement plan, cashed out on a huge stock option plan, or a past big win to keep playing like that

Olney, MD
        United States
        Member #121536
        January 11, 2012
        450 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2014, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

For prizes over $599, you have to file a claim to the CALottery in which the winnings are reported to the IRS and taxes must be paid for that win. If the store owners claim it on the lady's behalf while giving her the full amount of the winning, that is very loyal and generous of them to do so.

Still 1200-1500 a week is a lot of expected losses per week since the returns for most of the games are 50 - 70%. The lady must have a solid retirement plan, cashed out on a huge stock option plan, or a past big win to keep playing like that

Wouldn't the return be more like 30-50% at best?

United States
          Member #147165
          September 24, 2013
          507 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2014, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't the return be more like 30-50% at best?

You are probably right about that, the 60% return happens if you get a winner of each prize tier at the rate of expected odds, the 70% return takes into account of the top prizes in which only a select few have hit. The free ticket to $100 prizes on scratchers are close to 63%, but not all the time people hit and people run into very long losing streaks time to time which brings down the return.

United States
            Member #157108
            July 8, 2014
            16 Posts
            Posted: July 12, 2014, 4:14 am - IP Logged

From what I have noticed, the majority of the players are older and I would say 75% of them are on government assistant.  The trend is that it gets really busy in the beginning of the month when they get their funds.  I have witness an old man lost his whole check scratching away while he had plan to spend it on groceries for the month.  On one occasion, a man won 12k on a $2 scratcher and was unable to claim it since he can't send it in as they will take it all away.  He ended up selling it to someone for about 6k. 

On to a different topic, a few years ago, there use to be three letter codes on scratchers such as:

TIC =ticket

THR=$3

TWY =$20

OHN =$100

FTY=$50

TEN =$10

FVH=$500

Back then, all I see people do is just scratch for those codes.  They know the right letter combination and can tell right away how much they won without playing the game.  I know they got rid of that and instead have the barcode scanner.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #149492
              December 2, 2013
              919 Posts
              Posted: July 12, 2014, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I saw the new games listed on the 2nd chance page.  I saw pictures of the first 4, so I knew they were coming, but there's new Mega Crossword already. The turquoise one only came out few months ago.  Geez.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #149492
                December 2, 2013
                919 Posts
                Posted: July 12, 2014, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I saw the new games listed on the 2nd chance page.  I saw pictures of the first 4, so I knew they were coming, but there's new Mega Crossword already. The turquoise one only came out few months ago.  Geez.

Hmmm... there's a gap in game number from 1133 to 1137.  Maybe it's meant for the next batch next month.  They're so sloppy with web updates.

United States
                  Member #157108
                  July 8, 2014
                  16 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2014, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Lost $200 today.  =(  Played a random amount of scractchers but wasn't able to break through into postitive territory.

Pasadena, CA
                    United States
                    Member #153326
                    March 13, 2014
                    186 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2014, 12:09 am - IP Logged

If that Million $$ Match has the same pay structure as 5MJP--replete with $20 ticket AND $20 cash winners--it would be best to avoid it like the plague. But again, this is the California Lottery we're talking about and that would not surprise me if they did. It's not like they would ever seriously listen to player suggestions to improve their games.

Another Mega Crossword and Tripling Crossword?! Oy.

United States
                      Member #147165
                      September 24, 2013
                      507 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2014, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

If that Million $$ Match has the same pay structure as 5MJP--replete with $20 ticket AND $20 cash winners--it would be best to avoid it like the plague. But again, this is the California Lottery we're talking about and that would not surprise me if they did. It's not like they would ever seriously listen to player suggestions to improve their games.

Another Mega Crossword and Tripling Crossword?! Oy.

Though the pay structure is unknown as of yet, it will not have the same pay structure as the 5MJP for sure based on what I saw on the July Retail Product Plan. I am not sure if anyone can get their eyes on the August one, it will probably list the odds.

1. There is a $40, $75, and $250 prize tier introduced

2. There is a $1Million, $2Million grand prize as well, not sure how this will be distributed, reduce the number of $5million prizes and cut out the $100K prize to create these prizes

3. There is a bullet point stating more prizes $40-$250 for increased action

If CALottery did not listen to the feedback from high volume retailers such as the ones OCScratchDevils goes to, they deserve to keep failing in their business.

Pasadena, CA
                        United States
                        Member #153326
                        March 13, 2014
                        186 Posts
                        Posted: July 14, 2014, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Though the pay structure is unknown as of yet, it will not have the same pay structure as the 5MJP for sure based on what I saw on the July Retail Product Plan. I am not sure if anyone can get their eyes on the August one, it will probably list the odds.

1. There is a $40, $75, and $250 prize tier introduced

2. There is a $1Million, $2Million grand prize as well, not sure how this will be distributed, reduce the number of $5million prizes and cut out the $100K prize to create these prizes

3. There is a bullet point stating more prizes $40-$250 for increased action

If CALottery did not listen to the feedback from high volume retailers such as the ones OCScratchDevils goes to, they deserve to keep failing in their business.

Just took a gander at the Retail Product Plan--boy, does the $20 game look like a stinker. Yet another number match with bonus spots--except there's one extra spot this time! This will no doubt sell quite well the first few weeks, but it's bound to taper off. As you said, hope the better prize tier makes it a worthy ticket to occasionally play. No way am I going to shell out $20 bill after $20 bill in hopes of getting a breakeven prize.

United States
                          Member #147165
                          September 24, 2013
                          507 Posts
                          Posted: July 14, 2014, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Just took a gander at the Retail Product Plan--boy, does the $20 game look like a stinker. Yet another number match with bonus spots--except there's one extra spot this time! This will no doubt sell quite well the first few weeks, but it's bound to taper off. As you said, hope the better prize tier makes it a worthy ticket to occasionally play. No way am I going to shell out $20 bill after $20 bill in hopes of getting a breakeven prize.

I kind of have high hopes for this game for months I have been holding off playing scratchers lately, but have to reserve judgement about it until after this game comes out.

Yeah I agree with your opinion about risking a lot to get a break even prize, number matching is getting dull but not sure the reason it is the only option available for high denomination games. The $10 game has too few $1000+ prizes for its denomination, $20 has too few low tier prizes to keep playing for bigger prizes.

United States
                            Member #147165
                            September 24, 2013
                            507 Posts
                            Posted: July 14, 2014, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Lost $200 today.  =(  Played a random amount of scractchers but wasn't able to break through into postitive territory.

Buying 20 WoF tickets was the worst $200 I've spent recently. My scratcher budget is nearly depleted.

United States
                              Member #157108
                              July 8, 2014
                              16 Posts
                              Posted: July 14, 2014, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

CAScratcher - I am the same victim too with the $10 WOF scratchers.  It had 7 straight losers.  Ouch.

Page 134 of 182