Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Megamillions and Powerball Games

Topic closed. 205 replies. Last post 3 years ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Which Play is the Best Bet?

Powerball [ 9 ]  [24.32%]
Powerball with Powerplay [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
Megamillions [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Megamillions with Megaplier [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  

United States
Member #93947
July 10, 2010
2180 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2014, 3:30 am - IP Logged
    helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19727 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2014, 1:18 am - IP Logged

what about probabilitySmiley

Let it Snow Snowman

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #104962
      January 23, 2011
      1075 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2014, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Wow!  The numbers I put in only generated only the single dollar amounts going into the 20 year mark.  That is pretty awful! My answer to which is the best,  is stop playing the national ones and play your state lotteries instead.

adulane62's avatar - file php?avatar=16228.gif
        From Denver, Rocky Mountain Empire,
        United States
        Member #49750
        February 13, 2007
        439 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Jimmy the joy killer - stop telling people they can't win the jackpot. It can be done. It is mostly a matter of luck to be sure, however even getting 3 of 5 in a 75 number Megamillion ticket can be exciting! By picking 3 out of 5 regular numbers I was able to reduce:

From =combin (75,5)  17,259,390

To =combin (75,3) @ 67,525 

67,525/17,259,390 = 3.91%, I was able to eliminate 17,191,865 combinations!

And all of it wasn't luck either. I have a little system where I choose the LIKELY numbers to be drawn usually between 21 to 25 numbers for both MM & PB. I then wheel 10 lines for MM and 5 lines for PB. I am aiming to match the 5 regular numbers for a second tier prize of a MILLION! However, I will admit winning the jackpot with the red ball is still a tall order, however it can still be DONE. So get lost and stop spreading negative stuff!

https://app.box.com/s/zidot15y37ms9s25nrf1

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Jimmy the joy killer - stop telling people they can't win the jackpot. It can be done. It is mostly a matter of luck to be sure, however even getting 3 of 5 in a 75 number Megamillion ticket can be exciting! By picking 3 out of 5 regular numbers I was able to reduce:

And all of it wasn't luck either. I have a little system where I choose the LIKELY numbers to be drawn usually between 21 to 25 numbers for both MM & PB. I then wheel 10 lines for MM and 5 lines for PB. I am aiming to match the 5 regular numbers for a second tier prize of a MILLION! However, I will admit winning the jackpot with the red ball is still a tall order, however it can still be DONE. So get lost and stop spreading negative stuff!

Good luck with those awful odds!  If you live in the right place the MM and PB is biased to, you have a fighting chance.

United States
            Member #153280
            March 11, 2014
            23 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions has horrific odds and payouts. You won $5 on a 766 to 1. You broke even on your purchase.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:41 am - IP Logged

however even getting 3 of 5 in a 75 number Megamillion ticket can be exciting!

Please explain how winning $5 is exciting?

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                Member #153280
                March 11, 2014
                23 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:47 am - IP Logged

however even getting 3 of 5 in a 75 number Megamillion ticket can be exciting!

Please explain how winning $5 is exciting?

Lmao, he did not even win $5. It was a break even ticket. Its a roller coaster ride, spend $5 win $5. For some that's exciting.

United States
                  Member #93947
                  July 10, 2010
                  2180 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2014, 4:14 am - IP Logged

"I have a little system where I choose the LIKELY numbers to be drawn usually between 21 to 25 numbers for both MM & PB."

For any given drawing, what do you think is going on with the numbers other than these 21 to 25 that would make the balls carrying their labels LESS LIKELY to pop up?  Is it a physical phenomenon, or something else?

adulane62's avatar - file php?avatar=16228.gif
                    From Denver, Rocky Mountain Empire,
                    United States
                    Member #49750
                    February 13, 2007
                    439 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

For any given drawing, what do you think is going on with the numbers other than these 21 to 25 that would make the balls carrying their labels  LESS LIKELY to pop up?  Is it a physical phenomenon, or something else?

Physical phenomenon? You are talking gibberish again! As for the other posters, I misspoke. It is not winning the $5 that is exiting, it is reducing the astronomical odds to a manageable 10 line bet that I am excited about! The other two numbers I missed could have been winners with a little  bit of  luck!

By the way, when I play MM & PB the red balls are an afterthought for me (i.e., they don't matter) because it is like betting on a second game within the game. My focus is on the regular 5 balls only. Now that I see MM has been won, I am going to lay low for a while and not play until the jackpot climbes again. However, I will still play my 5 lines in PB and keep a POSITIVE attitude about it! So there!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2014, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

For any given drawing, what do you think is going on with the numbers other than these 21 to 25 that would make the balls carrying their labels  LESS LIKELY to pop up?  Is it a physical phenomenon, or something else?

Physical phenomenon? You are talking gibberish again! As for the other posters, I misspoke. It is not winning the $5 that is exiting, it is reducing the astronomical odds to a manageable 10 line bet that I am excited about! The other two numbers I missed could have been winners with a little  bit of  luck!

By the way, when I play MM & PB the red balls are an afterthought for me (i.e., they don't matter) because it is like betting on a second game within the game. My focus is on the regular 5 balls only. Now that I see MM has been won, I am going to lay low for a while and not play until the jackpot climbes again. However, I will still play my 5 lines in PB and keep a POSITIVE attitude about it! So there!

Well, you're not reducing anything as far as the odds are concerned. Playing more combinations increases your chances of winning. Playing select combinations does not. If you choose to play from a pool of 3.91% of 5-ball combinations, then on average one of the combinations in that pool will win 3.91% of the time. It's basic math. If there are 100 different ways of organizing numbers and I play 5 of those ways, I have a 5/100 or 5% chance of winning, regardless of how I pick or which of those 5 ways I choose. I could choose 5 even-numbered sets, 5 odd-numbered sets, or 5 sets out of a subset of 20 combinations—  does not matter. I'm still picking 5 out of 100 ways to win, which means there are still 95 out of 100 ways to lose.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                        Member #93947
                        July 10, 2010
                        2180 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2014, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Well, you're not reducing anything as far as the odds are concerned. Playing more combinations increases your chances of winning. Playing select combinations does not. If you choose to play from a pool of 3.91% of 5-ball combinations, then on average one of the combinations in that pool will win 3.91% of the time. It's basic math. If there are 100 different ways of organizing numbers and I play 5 of those ways, I have a 5/100 or 5% chance of winning, regardless of how I pick or which of those 5 ways I choose. I could choose 5 even-numbered sets, 5 odd-numbered sets, or 5 sets out of a subset of 20 combinations—  does not matter. I'm still picking 5 out of 100 ways to win, which means there are still 95 out of 100 ways to lose.

Well put LottoMetro.

Adulane62:

"You are talking gibberish again!"
                        If you look up "phenomena" you'll find that what I'm asking is what you think the "cause" is of your 21-25 balls being more likely to pop up, and consequently, what causes the other balls to lay low.  Does it still sound like gibberish?

Looking at it another way, when you say...
                        "...I was able to eliminate 17,191,865 combinations!"
                        ... another question comes to mind.  How do you manage to transfer this information to the balls inside the machine which will be used in the drawing you're betting on?

Sorry for asking hard questions, but I would think that a lot of people here would like to know the answers.

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2014, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Well put LottoMetro.

Adulane62:

"You are talking gibberish again!"
                          If you look up "phenomena" you'll find that what I'm asking is what you think the "cause" is of your 21-25 balls being more likely to pop up, and consequently, what causes the other balls to lay low.  Does it still sound like gibberish?

Looking at it another way, when you say...
                          "...I was able to eliminate 17,191,865 combinations!"
                          ... another question comes to mind.  How do you manage to transfer this information to the balls inside the machine which will be used in the drawing you're betting on?

Sorry for asking hard questions, but I would think that a lot of people here would like to know the answers.

How do you manage to transfer this information to the balls inside the machine which will be used in the drawing you're betting on?

Maybe its a physical phenomena information transfer byproduct developed from meticulous mental RV training during his time staring at goats?

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3960 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2014, 5:59 am - IP Logged

I am not very good at suffering dumb-asses and thought that jimbo left LP for good but I see that

he just can't seem to stay away.  If he want's to hang around that's fine but maybe he should do

something useful.  His longstanding arguments have been repeated so many times that I for one

feel ill every time I see his avatar.  I would like to suggest that he do something useful like maybe

supply us idoit's with a list that clearly defines the number of hits for each prize level for every game

matrix.  This way all we would need to do is just check his list and instantly know how we are doing. 

Please don't take him too serious as he has issues.  He believes he is enlightened but a quick read

of some of his past post clearly show us that he does not apply his knowledge evenly.  One instance

of this brought to bear is he believes in evolution even when the second law of thermodynamics is

in direct conflict.   True science has proven that evolution is a false.   This will no doubt go over his head

but it would be a good starting point for him, if he's really interested to upgrading his thought processes

If I add randomly generated code into any program that I have ever written I am reasonably sure that 

it would not make the program better.  I started another post where I am testing a new prediction algorithm

and jimbo has decided that he needs to insert his comments without even reading the post to see what it

was about. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                              Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2014, 7:21 am - IP Logged

How do you manage to transfer this information to the balls inside the machine which will be used in the drawing you're betting on?

Maybe its a physical phenomena information transfer byproduct developed from meticulous mental RV training during his time staring at goats?

Eventually the goat died because of high age, or they forgot to feed it. Probably the goat never picked the right numbers.

Page 1 of 14