Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Megamillions and Powerball Games

Topic closed. 205 replies. Last post 3 years ago by SergeM.

Page 11 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Which Play is the Best Bet?

Powerball [ 9 ]  [24.32%]
Powerball with Powerplay [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
Megamillions [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Megamillions with Megaplier [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
Member #59354
March 13, 2008
3960 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2014, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Heck....

might as well spend $70. Each number gets played at least once, and each PB number can be played once.

Guaranteed to get back at least $4.

My advice would be to keep your money in your pocket, you will most likely come out way ahead.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11975 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

My advice would be to keep your money in your pocket, you will most likely come out way ahead.

RL

I could not buy a $10 Mega Millions ticket today, because I flushed the $10 in the toilet.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5586 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

RL

Matter of fact my money is in my wallet. Not gonna drop that knda cash. Already have my 2 PB tics.

Thought maybe I could coax ole Thrifty into spending like a drunken sailor. LOL.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5586 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I could not buy a $10 Mega Millions ticket today, because I flushed the $10 in the toilet.

How or what did you flush your $10 on. Or was it literally flushing? If it was, I would be interested in THAT story.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11975 Posts
          Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Matter of fact my money is in my wallet. Not gonna drop that knda cash. Already have my 2 PB tics.

Thought maybe I could coax ole Thrifty into spending like a drunken sailor. LOL.

Did you know that having 1 lottery ticket takes 100% of your brain energy field?

US Flag

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11975 Posts
            Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

How or what did you flush your $10 on. Or was it literally flushing? If it was, I would be interested in THAT story.

I bought a subway sandwich with the $10 which gave me an urge to the toilet.

US Flag

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I bought a subway sandwich with the $10 which gave me an urge to the toilet.

LOL! Spent $10 and won a subway sandwich.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11975 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

RL

We do not need Jimmy's Lottery numbers simulators to be Risk Averse.

US Flag

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11975 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2014, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

LOL! Spent $10 and won a subway sandwich.

I spent $10 on a subway sandwich instead of playing the lottery.LOL

US Flag

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3960 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2014, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Heck....

might as well spend $70. Each number gets played at least once, and each PB number can be played once.

Guaranteed to get back at least $4.

Here is the EV for the cash option, I am sure it will make all the difference

EV

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3960 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2014, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I spent $10 on a subway sandwich instead of playing the lottery.LOL

THRIFTY

I just had big steak for dinner, the wifes off for spring break so we decided to live it up a bit.

I eat at subway at least once a week, the Steak&Cheese on wheat is my fav.

RL

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3960 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2014, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Here is the EV for the cash option, I am sure it will make all the difference

EV

RL

opps, need to adjust for $2.00 bet

RL

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3960 Posts
                          Posted: April 16, 2014, 2:33 am - IP Logged

I think this is correct.

EV-2

RL

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2014, 4:34 am - IP Logged

RL-RANDOMLOGIC,

No matter that tenured mathematicians and scientists sympathetic enough to take the time to talk to you about this will agree with me - YOU KNOW BETTER!  Based on the many self appraisals of your IQ, knowledge, and skills presented here in these forums,  I'm sure you must think Don Catlin and Richard Arnold Epstein should kiss your feet.  I don't think they will.  And Pascal, Fermat and Einstein, some of whose opinions you would reject as well, are not available to pay their respects.

Do you have any more code snippets to demonstrate your prowess in your chosen dialect of BASIC?  Your groupies who have no idea what it means seem to be quite impressed.  In my experience, the ability to program a computer does not necessarily correlate positively with other measures of intelligence nor with a person's contributions to the world in general. Sometimes the correlations are negative. You are a prime example in that you can write programs that should reveal the truth to you, but your Innumeracy won't allow it to happen.

Dream on!

--Jimmy4164

P.S.  As for the statement you might wish you hadn't made...

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/273424/3553656

P.S.S.  Be forewarned.  There's a LOT of competition out there for Lottery Prediction Software.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC,

Earlier you said, "There are still disciplined people who refuse to give up hope that they will find the missing link regardless of what the math says."

I don't know anyone in biology, zoology, anthropology, or archaeology who are looking for a "missing link."  And I know a few, personally.  Interestingly, the kind of reasoning required to understand how evolution works is very similar to what is required to understand why, when you've chosen one of the majority sets in a (5,39) lotto, ONE with 5 or 6 unique digits, the probability that the lottery will match your set is still 1 in 575,757, the same as for a set with only 2 digits.  And this is notwithstanding the fact that you were able to display "simulation" results earlier that, TO YOU, seemed to indicate otherwise.

Perhaps this video will help you with your confusion.  Don't give up at Part 1.  Part 2 especially addresses your analogy of a computer trying to randomly generate a set of drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhiMKALCZCE

--Jimmy4164

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3960 Posts
                              Posted: April 16, 2014, 6:05 am - IP Logged

Jimbo

When did I ever say that I only play 1 line,  my normal is around 15 and all the sets are combined

in such a way that they give me the most coverage I can get.  Playing 5 or 6 digits just puts me in

what will be the best position I can place myself before the drawing.  It has no win guarantee as the

next 5 drawings could be 2 digit lines.  Selecting which digits to put into play also has it's risk but

I use the same sort of analysis step after step until I reduce to my play limit.   I don't know what will

happen in the next draw but I can make some informed decisions about what will happen over the

next several draws.  I really don't know what the problem is, I feel given what I have to work with

I am making sound decisions.  As I have said many times the safest bet is to keep your money in

your pocket and bypass the lottery.  95% or more of my play is on paper, no money.  I have also said

it's like a treasure hunt,  I gather up my tools, do a little research and plot a place to dig.  If someone 

else finds the treasure first then no problem, it always gets replaced it with another.   Your assumption

that I don't know the math is ridiculous.  It's a game and if I have to stretch the rules so that I can

somehow apply math to the process then so what.   I won't be watching the video as I am perty sure

I know what will be said.  The argument continues but look into the required sub-systems that must

also randomly develop at the same time.  I could accept a few but when one considers it takes thousands

and thousands it goes way beyond mathematical probability.  If you can dig into this and still accept we are

a product of random then you should have no problem at all with my claims.  Time is finite and there is just

not enough of it, past, present or future.

RL

P.S.  Can you check the output of the EV calculator above and let me know if it's correct,  I am not sure.

Page 11 of 14