Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Megamillions and Powerball Games

Topic closed. 205 replies. Last post 3 years ago by SergeM.

Page 6 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Which Play is the Best Bet?

Powerball [ 9 ]  [24.32%]
Powerball with Powerplay [ 4 ]  [10.81%]
Megamillions [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Megamillions with Megaplier [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7340 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2014, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

RL-RANDOMLOGIC and Stack47,

Well, since RL thinks he knows more than Einstein (check his earlier posts in this thread) about physics and that Evolution is "mathematically impossible," and Stack believes he has a better understanding of gambling odds and payouts than Richard Arnold Epstein and Don Catlin, it would appear I'm being double teamed here by a formidable duo.  I don't think so, however...

...I'm not going to waste more time addressing your postings since my last.  This ground has been covered and recovered too often already. You both have so much time and energy invested in your quest for the Holy Grail that it would take nothing less than multiple sessions of ECT to change your thinking.  I'm not in that business.  It's now clear that you not only don't understand why the frequency of Base-10 Digits in Lottery Draws is completely irrelevant, you also don't understand how Evolution works.  I'm sure your ideas would be welcomed with open arms at the Creation Museum there in Kentucky.  Check it out.  They may even have some staff positions available for you.

Dream on!

--Jimmy4164

P.S. It would be interesting to know how RL will recognize a "Truly Random Event," when he sees one. :-)

"and Stack believes he has a better understanding of gambling odds and payouts than Richard Arnold Epstein and Don Catlin"

I've never discussed or debated gambling odds or payouts with either on LP, but I have with you so try being honest and stop pretending you speak for them. If you were in Catlin's math class, he would make you wear the "dunce hat" because you never quote the odds correctly.

Are you having difficulty answering my simple question?

"Not true. For example, in the Megamillions game, your odds of winning ANYTHING with ONE ticket is 1 in 14.71"

One ticket can either win something or lose. What are the other 13.71 possible outcomes?

That one ticket is either part of the 6.79% that wins something or part of the 93.21% that wins nothing and there are no other outcomes.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7340 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2014, 12:10 am - IP Logged

You cannot predict random.

The probability is 6.79% of all MM QP wagers will win something and 3.14% of all PB QP wagers. Who is predicting random?

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
      Member #59354
      March 13, 2008
      4049 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2014, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Looks like jimbo has gone into slient mode.  Here is another thing that those interested can consider.

In plane geometry the sum of the three internal angles of a triangle will always equal 180 degrees. 

However if one applies a third deminison switching from a 2-D plane to 3-D the sum of the angles will

will always be greater than 180.  Remove this third deminsion, then the sum of the angles return to

180.  Maybe jimbo is stuck in 2-D mode.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
        Member #59354
        March 13, 2008
        4049 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2014, 12:30 am - IP Logged

The probability is 6.79% of all MM QP wagers will win something and 3.14% of all PB QP wagers. Who is predicting random?

Stack

It's funny to me that one holding a certain view can attack the views of others year after year

and then expect people not to return the favor. 

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
          Member #59354
          March 13, 2008
          4049 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2014, 1:11 am - IP Logged

jimbo

you wrote

Dream on!

--Jimmy4164

P.S. It would be interesting to know how RL will recognize a "Truly Random Event," when he sees one. :-)

I will never recognize a random event because random does not exist.  Action and reaction, cause and effect.

Pseudo random generators are attempts to hide processes.   You mistake obfuscation for random.

RL

United States
            Member #93947
            July 10, 2010
            2180 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2014, 1:26 am - IP Logged

"and Stack believes he has a better understanding of gambling odds and payouts than Richard Arnold Epstein and Don Catlin"

I've never discussed or debated gambling odds or payouts with either on LP, but I have with you so try being honest and stop pretending you speak for them. If you were in Catlin's math class, he would make you wear the "dunce hat" because you never quote the odds correctly.

Are you having difficulty answering my simple question?

"Not true. For example, in the Megamillions game, your odds of winning ANYTHING with ONE ticket is 1 in 14.71"

One ticket can either win something or lose. What are the other 13.71 possible outcomes?

That one ticket is either part of the 6.79% that wins something or part of the 93.21% that wins nothing and there are no other outcomes.

Stack47,

You said, "I've never discussed or debated gambling odds or payouts with either on LP..."

Since when is it necessary to debate with a published person "on LP" to conclude that you know more than them?  I don't think it is, and apparently you didn't either when you made this remark last summer...

"I taught Catlin how to play Craps but he still makes those hard way bets."

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/258205/3168858

--Jimmy4164

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
              NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3812 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2014, 7:23 am - IP Logged

Everybody knows playing the lottery is a sucker's bet, but for me personally, it's all about the fun.

I'm well aware of the math/odds/what-have-you, but I could not care less. Will I win a jackpot? Probably not. But if I do, the personal gratification I'll get from knowing I won one will make it that much sweeter.

The only thing I do know for sure about playing is this: I absolutely will not win anything if I dont buy a ticket. 

Sorry but I gotta run.  It's time to pick my numbers for tonites New York Sweet Million drawing.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                12094 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2014, 7:53 am - IP Logged

Everybody knows playing the lottery is a sucker's bet, but for me personally, it's all about the fun.

I'm well aware of the math/odds/what-have-you, but I could not care less. Will I win a jackpot? Probably not. But if I do, the personal gratification I'll get from knowing I won one will make it that much sweeter.

The only thing I do know for sure about playing is this: I absolutely will not win anything if I dont buy a ticket. 

Sorry but I gotta run.  It's time to pick my numbers for tonites New York Sweet Million drawing.

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  12094 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2014, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Thrifty, your wrong about this one, I already have.

RL

I did not know that you have won the Mega Millions and Powerball lottery jackpot. You are very lucky.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    12094 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2014, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Probability is the study of randomness.

US Flag

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      4049 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2014, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Thrifty

I did not say that I won PB and/or MM jackpots, the only time I play these games is as part of a pool.

RL

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12094 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2014, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Thrifty

I did not say that I won PB and/or MM jackpots, the only time I play these games is as part of a pool.

RL

YOU WILL NEVER WIN A MEGA MLLIONS AND POWERBALL LOTTERY JACKPOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.LOL

US Flag

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          4049 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2014, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Some here may not know what I mean by pseudo random drawings following the population and distribution

of the matrix.  Here are a few examples.

In my 5-39 cash game there are 428, 973 sets in the matrix that have either 5 or 6 digit lines.  In the last

1000 games there have been 745 sets drawn that have either 5 or 6 digits. 

Actual draws

745/1000= 74.5%

total within 5-39 matrix

428,973/575757= 74.5%

It seems that random is very good at mimicking the matrix. 

Lets look at the population and distribution of sets with 2 or 3 odd numbers for the last 1000 games

Actual draws

675 / 1000 = 67.5%

Total possable within 5-39 matrix

379959/575757=65.8%

Pseudo random number generators selecting from a finite pool of sets will mimic the population and distribution

of the pool.  This being said we can know in advance how many of some value will show which can give us a edge

in playing.  When I say that if you play sets with fewer than 5 or more than 6 total digits for a fair 5-39 matrix then 

you have zero, zip, nada chance of hitting a JP 7.4 out of 10 or 74.5 out of every 100 tickets you buy.  The odds for

matching all 5 numbers is 1 in 575757 and never changes.  It's not the odds for the game that are questioned here

but how one chooses to play the game.  It is true that any set of numbers can and will hit if the game is allowed to

continue but having a 1 in 575757 chance is infinitely larger than zero chance.  Knowing this maybe won't put you

in the winners circle in the next drawing but could give you insight in how to better place your bets.

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            4049 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2014, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty

The odds would agree with you 100%, however I will give it my best shot and hope for the best.

RL

United States
                              Member #93947
                              July 10, 2010
                              2180 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2014, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

If we left the Numbers on the Balls, the Odds, and the Payouts for a given game as they are but randomly colored 75% of the balls RED and the other 25% BLUE, would you avoid betting on the BLUE balls because they are less likely to be drawn?

Page 6 of 14