Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New York instant scratch off tickets - new tickets with less odds to win

Topic closed. 342 replies. Last post 12 months ago by Enigmas.

Page 13 of 23
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #167035
June 22, 2015
1340 Posts
Posted: October 15, 2015, 6:10 am - IP Logged

I think I'll buy 8 of the new $5.00 tickets, let's see what happens. Sorry about the $62.00 loss, that's tough.

I haven't bought a dollar ticket in years, don't see the point in spending a dollar to maybe win a dollar or two. But it seems to be the most popular scratch off in town.

Would love to see a list of the most popular instant games sold in NY, would be very interesting to see how the dollar tickets match up sales wise to the more expensive scratch off tickets.

right now seems to be golden ticket, cash x100 and the $10 frenzy but would like to see the list too

NY
    United States
    Member #167035
    June 22, 2015
    1340 Posts
    Posted: October 15, 2015, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

played some more extra play still rough

found uno and i love NY played 5 of each, 1 win on each (25 on uno and 5 on i love NY)

back to take 5 i go

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
      Member #165244
      March 30, 2015
      229 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2015, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Played 4 extra play got zilch. May go back to frenzy

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

NY
        United States
        Member #167035
        June 22, 2015
        1340 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Played 4 extra play got zilch. May go back to frenzy

might try more royal there 3/4 top prizes left and been out for a year

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
          Member #165244
          March 30, 2015
          229 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2015, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

might try more royal there 3/4 top prizes left and been out for a year

odds don't seem so good on that one...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

new york
            United States
            Member #63828
            August 9, 2008
            182 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2015, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

A friend bought five of the Cash X100 tickets today, tickets #009 - 005. Ticket #'s 009 - 006 were losers, ticket #5 was a $400 winner.

He'll only buy tickets numbered 010 - 001. Says he's gotten a lot of luck with those numbers.

I've tried those numbers. Guess he's gotten all the luck!

But just might have to give those a try again.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1131 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2015, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

A friend bought five of the Cash X100 tickets today, tickets #009 - 005. Ticket #'s 009 - 006 were losers, ticket #5 was a $400 winner.

He'll only buy tickets numbered 010 - 001. Says he's gotten a lot of luck with those numbers.

Interesting. I analyzed about a dozen scratch-off games (not in NY but elsewhere) and found that roughly 55%-60% of winners were actually in the last segment of the pack. This was overall....on a game-by-game basis I did find, similar to your friend's observation, that some games were more characterized by early winners. In my experience the front and back of the pack seems to have the highest proportion of winners. I think this is so the lottery can drum up excitement with lots of winners early on, then sell tickets faster through the longest/slowest part of the packs, and payout the most at the end of the game when most tickets have already been sold. This also allows them to pull games early with many valuable wins remaining. In my studies I have found that around the time a lottery pulls a game (usually with most tickets sold and less than 20% top prizes remaining) is when it is most ripe for winners. Experts will tell you that the beginning of the game is when it is best to buy since it has the most winners remaining, but this is a misunderstanding of probability distributions. At the very beginning of the game the odds are concrete, but at the end there could be a skew where packs containing the highest valued winners have yet to be sold while few packs remain.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

New York
                United States
                Member #156870
                July 2, 2014
                86 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

That is what I heard before and checked this theory by myself. I've been buying small number tickets for 2 years and have to say that I noticed no difference between high, mid and low ticket numbers. However, the last Cash X100 winner who won $5M his ticket number was #1. So, your friend was right in some instance.

new york
                  United States
                  Member #63828
                  August 9, 2008
                  182 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Interesting. I analyzed about a dozen scratch-off games (not in NY but elsewhere) and found that roughly 55%-60% of winners were actually in the last segment of the pack. This was overall....on a game-by-game basis I did find, similar to your friend's observation, that some games were more characterized by early winners. In my experience the front and back of the pack seems to have the highest proportion of winners. I think this is so the lottery can drum up excitement with lots of winners early on, then sell tickets faster through the longest/slowest part of the packs, and payout the most at the end of the game when most tickets have already been sold. This also allows them to pull games early with many valuable wins remaining. In my studies I have found that around the time a lottery pulls a game (usually with most tickets sold and less than 20% top prizes remaining) is when it is most ripe for winners. Experts will tell you that the beginning of the game is when it is best to buy since it has the most winners remaining, but this is a misunderstanding of probability distributions. At the very beginning of the game the odds are concrete, but at the end there could be a skew where packs containing the highest valued winners have yet to be sold while few packs remain.

Makes sense to have the biggest wins in either the front or the back, especially the back of the book as it can lead to quicker sales.

Also makes sense to buy a ticket or two when it's not hot and on its last legs as fewer customers will tend to purchase that type of ticket if they know that it's going to end soon.  Buying a ticket when it's first released can have its fair share of winners too, but as with any ticket, luck and location factor heavily.

(In NY) I've also done research over the years and have found that it varies based on the dollar amount of the ticket.

In my experience the $5.00 tickets that I've purchased have had the biggest money winners towards the end of the pack. Rarely have I won more than $15.00 when purchasing the last ten tickets (010 - 001) on a roll of $5.00 tickets.

On the $10.00 tickets the bigger money winners can be scattered - recently got two FRENZY symbols back to back purchased at two different stores, one was on ticket #004 and the other on ticket #021.

That was the first week they came out. Not so anymore, hopefully soon again.

I've also noticed on the $10.00 tickets that if I purchase the first ten (050 - 041) and get maybe $20 or $30 out of it then I'm almost guaranteed to make it up on the last ten tickets. Then the opposite occurs on the next roll of the same ticket purchased at the same store - I'll win or break even on the first ten and not so much on the last ten.

As for the $20.00 tickets, don't buy them too often but as mentioned earlier a friend swears by the 010 - 001 system of winners.

Don't buy the $1.00 or $2.00 tickets so can't comment on those.

Thanks, LottoMetro, very interesting discussion!

new york
                    United States
                    Member #63828
                    August 9, 2008
                    182 Posts
                    Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

That is what I heard before and checked this theory by myself. I've been buying small number tickets for 2 years and have to say that I noticed no difference between high, mid and low ticket numbers. However, the last Cash X100 winner who won $5M his ticket number was #1. So, your friend was right in some instance.

Wow, didn't know that about the $5M winner, good for that person! Imagine buying the last ticket on a roll to find that it has the top prize!

I can only imagine how many people passed up buying that last ticket.

If I were you though I wouldn't give up on buying the small number tickets- who knows, the next big winner could be you! Cheers

NY
                      United States
                      Member #167035
                      June 22, 2015
                      1340 Posts
                      Posted: October 16, 2015, 6:19 am - IP Logged

interesting

i like the end of the rolls too - my frenzy on the $5 was on 003, and have had many decent winners on 001-010 on $5 games as well

but on cash x100 there is no $400 winner but have had some nice wins on 001-010 too including a $200 on 003

finally the store could have started the roll on 001 instead of 050 - some stores but not many do that

New York
                        United States
                        Member #156870
                        July 2, 2014
                        86 Posts
                        Posted: October 16, 2015, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

Wow, didn't know that about the $5M winner, good for that person! Imagine buying the last ticket on a roll to find that it has the top prize!

I can only imagine how many people passed up buying that last ticket.

If I were you though I wouldn't give up on buying the small number tickets- who knows, the next big winner could be you! Cheers

If I win big, I will share it with you Ralphie.

new york
                          United States
                          Member #63828
                          August 9, 2008
                          182 Posts
                          Posted: October 16, 2015, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

If I win big, I will share it with you Ralphie.

Thanks but the win (and it will happen) will be all yours and well deserved!! Cheers

new york
                            United States
                            Member #63828
                            August 9, 2008
                            182 Posts
                            Posted: October 16, 2015, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

interesting

i like the end of the rolls too - my frenzy on the $5 was on 003, and have had many decent winners on 001-010 on $5 games as well

but on cash x100 there is no $400 winner but have had some nice wins on 001-010 too including a $200 on 003

finally the store could have started the roll on 001 instead of 050 - some stores but not many do that

Congrats on the frenzy on the $5 ticket!!

I thought he said he'd won $400 but obviously he was wrong. He must have meant that he won $500 or $200. Still a nice piece of change.

I've seen stores that sell tickets starting with 001 but it's rare, most sell from the top of the pack. Once a vendor had opened a new pack of tickets and he asked me if I wanted from the top or the bottom. I took a few moments and decided to go with the bottom, bought ten of them. $100.00 spent, won only $25.00

Should have gone with the top of the pack!

NY
                              United States
                              Member #167035
                              June 22, 2015
                              1340 Posts
                              Posted: October 16, 2015, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

was a few weeks ago but thanks - these new games are horrid

Page 13 of 23