Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 8:41 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How soon till the next $ Billion $ Jackpot?

Topic closed. 129 replies. Last post 10 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 1 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

When do you think the next jackpot will top $1 Billion

Feb 24 [ 1 ]  [2.22%]
Feb 27 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
March 2 [ 4 ]  [8.89%]
March 5 [ 2 ]  [4.44%]
March 9 [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
March 12 [ 5 ]  [11.11%]
March 16 [ 7 ]  [15.56%]
March 19 [ 23 ]  [51.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 11 ]  
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
885 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2016, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Calculating back to the Powerball jackpot on Jan16 which was reset to $40 mil, it seems that each subsequent jackpot was approximately 25% higher than the previous jackpot.

At this rate, I see the jackpot climbing to $1,000,000,000 between March 2 - March 9.

1) When do you think it will hit the billion dollar mark?

2) Do you think people will go crazy buying as many tickets as with the drawing from Jan 13 or buy just a few like the winners from TN did?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
    Member #172489
    January 26, 2016
    43 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2016, 11:43 am - IP Logged

It will probably be a really long time - years likely...

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3316 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2016, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I think eventually people will realize the incredible hard odds, and the  jackpot building will go slower. but still the games are hard to win so $1B will still be available

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

New York
        United States
        Member #157288
        July 14, 2014
        170 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2016, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

It will probably be a really long time - years likely...

I think it may reach $1 Billion again by April if no one wins by then.

The jackpot is now close to $100 million the higher the jackpot gets, the more people play. So I think after slow starts once a month or two goes without a winner the pace will pick up.

Honestly though I hope it doesn't get over $400 million again because if the jackpots continue to be higher then the MM people may get bright ideas about making changes to that game as well.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3316 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2016, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

if you go to results page, click power ball and look up >> jackpot history , as the last item on the  popup menu you get this

https://www.lotterypost.com/game/4/jackpot

basically showing that once it reaches 500 mill people start to play harder, going up $100 M in jackpot prizes . i think it will slow down doing that. but that the vast number of tickets to cover every option  will still take the game a long time between draws. the smaller the pots increase the less likely is a winner. but then once the pot was $500, things rock and rolled. maybe in a year; or 6 months  i'llsee my prediction come true, but i see it slowing down sooner than later

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Arizona
            United States
            Member #165073
            March 24, 2015
            220 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2016, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

I predict a winner well before it hits a billion.

Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              885 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2016, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

I think it may reach $1 Billion again by April if no one wins by then.

The jackpot is now close to $100 million the higher the jackpot gets, the more people play. So I think after slow starts once a month or two goes without a winner the pace will pick up.

Honestly though I hope it doesn't get over $400 million again because if the jackpots continue to be higher then the MM people may get bright ideas about making changes to that game as well.

Too late Enigmas, MM has already changed the format of their game. What used to be around 175 mil to 1 odds is now 258,890,850 to 1 odds

I think that the jackpot doesn't increase as fast as Powerball since each MM game costs only $1 compared to PB's $2 price.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                Oregon
                United States
                Member #168137
                August 17, 2015
                125 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2016, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I personally don't feel like the billion dollar mark will be reached all too often. I do think it could happen again, absolutely! Maybe even this year, who knows! I just don't think it will be as soon as March.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                  Green Bay
                  United States
                  Member #169391
                  October 15, 2015
                  1278 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2016, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

To tell you the truth, I hope it never hits a billion dollars again.  Every time I turned on the TV or radio that's all I heard,  powerball...powerball...powerball.  Why do people go crazy when it hits a billion?  Like 40 million isn't enough?  LOL!

Never give up.  Banana

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1958 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2016, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

None of those dates because I will be winning the Powerball here in about 2 weeks.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      885 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2016, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

To tell you the truth, I hope it never hits a billion dollars again.  Every time I turned on the TV or radio that's all I heard,  powerball...powerball...powerball.  Why do people go crazy when it hits a billion?  Like 40 million isn't enough?  LOL!

And that is exactly what Powerball had intended on happening. Increasing the odds of winning the jackpot to drive up the top prize and create a lotto frenzy.

With the new Powerball odds structure, the jackpot (unless won) will hit $1 billion after approximately 13-15 drawings.

Of course $40 mil might be enough for some, if not most people, but the bigger the pot, the bigger the dream. 

The Meatman

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1549 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2016, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Remember to budget and stay in the game for the long haul. It only takes one ticket.

Good Luck! Smiley

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10390 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2016, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Let's just say Sanders gets elected. OW! Since he's already mentioned taxing the really wealthy 90% would there even be any point in playing?

Now that I've got that out of the way I'm with the others here that don't want to see $1B again. The media frenzy and all the sudden 'experts' are a bit much.

Just my $.02

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #165541
                            April 12, 2015
                            554 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2016, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Calculating back to the Powerball jackpot on Jan16 which was reset to $40 mil, it seems that each subsequent jackpot was approximately 25% higher than the previous jackpot.

At this rate, I see the jackpot climbing to $1,000,000,000 between March 2 - March 9.

1) When do you think it will hit the billion dollar mark?

2) Do you think people will go crazy buying as many tickets as with the drawing from Jan 13 or buy just a few like the winners from TN did?

I think it took 18 draws, to get to a billion.  So thats 9 weeks.  But since they dare not change the matrix again to mess up the "trends",

the JP be hit sooner than the last.  So I say 18 weeks.  So my guess is around MayDay.  I think the winners from Tennesse will buy 10,000 tickets this time if it

gets to a billion.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                              Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1131 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2016, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

The record jackpot was in the top percentile so from a probability perspective, we would only expect to see a couple jackpots per year near this level. Would be nice to see back-to-back record cycles but not likely.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1