Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How soon till the next $ Billion $ Jackpot?

Topic closed. 129 replies. Last post 9 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 5 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

When do you think the next jackpot will top $1 Billion

Feb 24 [ 1 ]  [2.22%]
Feb 27 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
March 2 [ 4 ]  [8.89%]
March 5 [ 2 ]  [4.44%]
March 9 [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
March 12 [ 5 ]  [11.11%]
March 16 [ 7 ]  [15.56%]
March 19 [ 23 ]  [51.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 11 ]  
LA Ca.
United States
Member #172750
February 3, 2016
88 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2016, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

One of those dates is my birthday..... I'll go with that day :)

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
    Brooklyn, NY
    United States
    Member #169723
    October 29, 2015
    877 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2016, 3:19 am - IP Logged

UPDATE: No winner in Saturday's 2/13/16 Powerball drawing for $176 mil.

The annuity jackpot was increased $13 mil from $176 mil. $189 mil.  The cash jackpot was increased $12.1 mil from $114.1 mil. to $126.2 mil. 

When I started this post, the jackpot rollovers were happening at a higher percentage / dollar amount as they are now. 

If there continues to be no winner and the annuity jackpot grows at the current rate, it should take a bit longer than I originally expected to reach the $1 billion mark. 

It now looks like it might be approx mid April , 2016.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2016, 4:49 am - IP Logged

Yeah I saw the increase being so low, and can only think, too much  was spent on chocolates, flowers and jewellery this week.
      spoken like a single guy.  it wil be good to see what it is that  causes a  spike, prob TV news stories. but $500M on the bill boards should be enough. i look forward to watching the rolls

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2016, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

"The cash jackpot was increased $12.1 mil"

There's your explanation. A month ago the record jackpot had a cash value of $983.5 million, which was almost exactly 62% of the annuity value of $1,586.4 million. If the current annuity had the same ratio the available cash would mean an advertised annuity jackpot of $203.6 million for Wednesday's drawing.

Last time around the advertised annuity jackpot rolled from 180 to 202, which would have meant 111.6 to 125.2 for the cash value. That means that for those of us who would choose the cash, otherwise known as everybody, this run is still well ahead of the last one. It also means that if this one were to land at $947.9 million like the last one did the cash value would be $632.9 million. That would be equivalent to $1.021 billion on the last run.

It may take another drawing (or even two) to pass the billion mark for the advertised value, but whatever they advertise is worth 7.7% more than it was the last time around.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2016, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I prefer 500 in the pocket to 1 000 000 000 in the mind. - A. Nonymous

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7297 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2016, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

We'll probably see less jackpots under $200 million because of the matrix change and probably more $400 plus jackpots. Statistically the last jackpot had enough in ticket sales to be won when it was $948 million so with similar sales and no matrix changes, it's more likely we'll see jackpots just under $1 billion.

I doubt we'll see a cash value over $1 billion and waiting 29 years to collect isn't my idea of a $1 billion jackpot.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3047 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2016, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

I watched the drawing footage on the powerball website for the last two draws and each time they failed to reach the advertised annuity.  So I think it may take longer to get to a billion if it even does at all.  I got a couple of tickets for wednesday night and would settle for that jackpot.-weshar75

US Flag

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                Member #65961
                October 11, 2008
                162 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2016, 3:12 am - IP Logged

"I don't know that many would have learned a lesson, but a lot of people who spent $500 to $1000 in early January won't be able to do it again in early March even if they want to"

Perhaps. At the time I was comparing that drawing to the 500m+ pot from 2/15  and was suprised how much faster the billion dollar pot was climbing considering it was just after the holiday season and I didn't think people had that much money to go all in like they did. I was even more shocked  because of the increased odds from the new format combined with the $2.00 bet the PB showed it had the ability to withstand the large volume of sales that come after it crosses the 400m and then 500m mark. 

If we make it to early March without a winner it could be good timing as some people will be receiving their tax return refunds to "invest" in the pot. So I don't think there will be a cash flow issue to slow PB climb to a billion.

A few years ago when the Mega Millions was in the high $300m range people were spending huge amounts of money due to tax returns.

If the PB keeps rolling we may see a repeat of the super high jackpot with the super high spending as we are in tax season once again.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2016, 7:03 am - IP Logged

A few years ago when the Mega Millions was in the high $300m range people were spending huge amounts of money due to tax returns.

If the PB keeps rolling we may see a repeat of the super high jackpot with the super high spending as we are in tax season once again.

I find that very sad that people would waste the opportunity they get with the tax returns.  They should pay off debts or past due rents that they skipped in January to play the big one.  Or use that money for a large item that is needed by their family.  Not to waste it on lottery tickets and end up with a stack of useless paper.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    877 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2016, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I find that very sad that people would waste the opportunity they get with the tax returns.  They should pay off debts or past due rents that they skipped in January to play the big one.  Or use that money for a large item that is needed by their family.  Not to waste it on lottery tickets and end up with a stack of useless paper.

All it takes is ONE ticket and I purchased mine today.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

New York
                      United States
                      Member #157288
                      July 14, 2014
                      170 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2016, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I never realized people did that. I guess I was always of the mindset that I just got this money back from the government because they stole too much from me in the first place so why rush to give it back?

Oh well to each their own...

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #165541
                        April 12, 2015
                        541 Posts
                        Posted: February 18, 2016, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

I think it took 18 draws, to get to a billion.  So thats 9 weeks.  But since they dare not change the matrix again to mess up the "trends",

the JP be hit sooner than the last.  So I say 18 weeks.  So my guess is around MayDay.  I think the winners from Tennesse will buy 10,000 tickets this time if it

gets to a billion.

But since they dare not change the matrix again to mess up the "trends",

the JP be hit sooner than the last.

The Oracle Of Lion!!!

T-Minus MayDay.

United States
                          Member #106134
                          February 13, 2011
                          806 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2016, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Can't win is so strong with this one that I could see it going to $2 billion this time.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #165541
                            April 12, 2015
                            541 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2016, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

But since they dare not change the matrix again to mess up the "trends",

the JP be hit sooner than the last.

The Oracle Of Lion!!!

T-Minus MayDay.

My mistake.  I thought the couple who just come forth in florida were winnners of last saturdays powerball.

I see its at around 212 million.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                              Happy California
                              United States
                              Member #157856
                              August 2, 2014
                              1509 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2016, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

I will take the Lump Sum just like they do in the U.K. And possibly in Europe also.

There is no tax on Lottery winnings in the U.K. 

My first purchase will be Insurance. Term life. Umbrella. Home. Car. 

and more...

Naughty

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others