Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should one play if they have others feeding them

Topic closed. 198 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 13 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think one should spend money on food while receiving food

Yes.. It is our duty to feed the stupid [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
No .. They should be using the money wisely [ 31 ]  [77.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

Blue AngelThere is such a thing as righteous indignation.  Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple with a fury- who the Federal Reserve have nothing on, if you think interest rates are high now.

There is a zero tolerance for a teacher who posts on a forum their hatred for the special needs children in their class - children who are in the throws of neglect which is no fault of their own.  A teacher should have compassion, understanding, knowledge and education - rather than hatred and digust.  Somebody need to help break the vicious cycle and teachers are sometimes the biggest influence in a child's life.  Tntea did this poll with only two options - HATE AND DIGUST.

Tntea showed her disgust for children who receive food stamps, free lunches and a check every month for their disabilties.  She want to take away their parents right to play the lottery because our tax dollars feed them.  She called one student "a lazy fat slob" and she told the stories about the other children's welfare (no pun intended) that should only be the privy of the Tn school system.  That borders on abuse.   

But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Mark 10:14

Of course there's such a thing as righteous indignation. For example, if a poster thought that somebody was capable of working but chose to sit around and let others take care of them, perhaps they might react with righteous indignation. Somebody might have righteous indignation towards somebody who thinks that being a teacher means you're not allowed to express your opinions in public. Somebody might have righteous indignation when somebody wants the taxpayers to pay their way and then thinks it's okay to take that money and throw it away on the lottery. The last 18 pages contain several good reasons for righteous indignation. They've also got plenty of examples of what isn't so righteous. It's not very righteouswhen somebody devotes several posts to complaining about sombody's opinion and making ad hominem attacks, and then has the gall (or stupidity?) to tell somebody else that you should respect other people's opinions.  It's not righteous to suggest that being a teacher means you give up your right to offer your opinion in a public forum.

Suggesting that anything TnTea posted borders on abuse is just plain stupid, and an excellent example of why it's foolish to make blanket statements that we should respect other people's opinions.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Opinions are like dingleberries. Everyone's got'em.Guitar

Ethics, Morality, conscience, is a vast gray area for interpretation.

I'm not a vegetarian, but after watching some of the processes of slaughters of cows and other animals in the houses, made me wonder. 

I had to look that up, Pac.  Nope, never had a dingleberry.  However, you do crack Clown me up!

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
      Lotto City, Michigan
      United States
      Member #36256
      March 30, 2006
      1472 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2007, 6:42 am - IP Logged

Blue AngelThere is such a thing as righteous indignation.  Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple with a fury- who the Federal Reserve have nothing on, if you think interest rates are high now.

There is a zero tolerance for a teacher who posts on a forum their hatred for the special needs children in their class - children who are in the throws of neglect which is no fault of their own.  A teacher should have compassion, understanding, knowledge and education - rather than hatred and digust.  Somebody need to help break the vicious cycle and teachers are sometimes the biggest influence in a child's life.  Tntea did this poll with only two options - HATE AND DIGUST.

Tntea showed her disgust for children who receive food stamps, free lunches and a check every month for their disabilties.  She want to take away their parents right to play the lottery because our tax dollars feed them.  She called one student "a lazy fat slob" and she told the stories about the other children's welfare (no pun intended) that should only be the privy of the Tn school system.  That borders on abuse.   

But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
      Mark 10:14

Most times, women understand other women a lot better than men do.

The only TRULY righteous One is God.

Merry Christmas to you! Thumbs Up

Daniel C's avatar - Kinnak
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #53416
        July 6, 2007
        702 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2007, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Of course there's such a thing as righteous indignation. For example, if a poster thought that somebody was capable of working but chose to sit around and let others take care of them, perhaps they might react with righteous indignation. Somebody might have righteous indignation towards somebody who thinks that being a teacher means you're not allowed to express your opinions in public. Somebody might have righteous indignation when somebody wants the taxpayers to pay their way and then thinks it's okay to take that money and throw it away on the lottery. The last 18 pages contain several good reasons for righteous indignation. They've also got plenty of examples of what isn't so righteous. It's not very righteouswhen somebody devotes several posts to complaining about sombody's opinion and making ad hominem attacks, and then has the gall (or stupidity?) to tell somebody else that you should respect other people's opinions.  It's not righteous to suggest that being a teacher means you give up your right to offer your opinion in a public forum.

Suggesting that anything TnTea posted borders on abuse is just plain stupid, and an excellent example of why it's foolish to make blanket statements that we should respect other people's opinions.

And how about your own statement?  Are you not also calling names and expressing an opinion to someone else's opinion? So I suppose they should respect your opinion too, with or without righteous indignation?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: December 23, 2007, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: December 23, 2007, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

And how about your own statement?  Are you not also calling names and expressing an opinion to someone else's opinion? So I suppose they should respect your opinion too, with or without righteous indignation?

It's easy to point out that the very person who is pointing out the problem gets blamed for doing the same. I don't believe KYfloyd is doing the same thing. He's mereley observing, just like jim695, in his illustrious ways... something that seems warranted to point out. That's all. Nothing less...nothing more.

It's not the same. In my opiness.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: December 24, 2007, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I realize it's hard to understand, but I never said anybody should respect somebody else's opinion. In any day that I pay attention I see plenty of opinions that are unworthy of even the least bit of respect. Perhaps you've heard that respect has to be earned? If they've earned it, I'll respect the person even when they offer an opinion that I believe is completely off base. The opinions themselves have to earn respect on their own. 

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: December 24, 2007, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I realize it's hard to understand, but I never said anybody should respect somebody else's opinion. In any day that I pay attention I see plenty of opinions that are unworthy of even the least bit of respect. Perhaps you've heard that respect has to be earned? If they've earned it, I'll respect the person even when they offer an opinion that I believe is completely off base. The opinions themselves have to earn respect on their own. 

I respect that.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                  Member #26882
                  November 23, 2005
                  1404 Posts
                  Posted: December 24, 2007, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Should people who receive assistance play the lottery.

I also believe that harsh name calling is not the answer to this problem. I have to agree that the names called were uncalled for especially coming from the mouth of a teach of special need persons.

Calling people fat slobs and shaking your head in disgust is not the answer to their problem. Name calling only discourages a person more. If someone called you a worthless piece of crap every day, or told you that you were ugly, or fat everyday, its human nature to believe that is "What You Are" and thus you act accordingly.

We can't always blame the individual for their actions, although I am all for taking responsibility for your life and how you act and not blaming others for what you do, there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to people who are mentally handicapped.

My aunt has cerebral palsy that occurred at birth. My Grandparents catered to her every whim though she is quite capable of doing things such as feeding herself, walking with the use of crutches, and thinking, though her mind is child like in some aspects. Lets put it this way the woman is very aware and very capable of manipulation and taking advantage of situations if it gets her what she wants.

When my Grandparents passed away, my family took her into our home, as she had no where else to go. After a year of caring for her and seeing her manipulative ways, knowing what she was doing, we decided the best thing for her was to put her in a home with others that had disabilities. There, she was made to wash her own clothes, wash her own dishes, cook with assistance, and even go to work every day. The job was sitting putting things together for a company that hired such individuals to do so. Again these are all things she was well capable of doing, however was never "made" to do by my Grandparents, whom just allowed her to sit around and do nothing, but eat and sleep in and she got well used to that as she was 40 some years old when they passed on. Can these people be turned around into productive citizens? Yep as my Aunt is a prime example of that now. Her assistance she receives pays for the apartment at the facility. Instead of allowing her to sit around and do nothing the rest of her life my family did something about it!

As much as I loved my Grandparents, who thought they were doing the right thing for babying their disabled child, it really was not the best thing for her as she is capable of doing things! So who can we blame the child or the care takers? Should we call the child a fat lazy slob and shake our head at them or should we try and change things for them? Again it's not always the fault of the child because they were never taught anything else but what they are! That is all they were taught and how their were raised and so that is how they act!

Should people receiving assistance be allowed to play lottery with that money was the question? My opinion don't count because the states say that anyone over the age of 18 or 21 depending on the state can buy a lottery ticket and that's just the way it is whether we think they should or not so I shall leave it at that.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #53416
                    July 6, 2007
                    702 Posts
                    Posted: December 24, 2007, 11:26 am - IP Logged

You talk a good game and I understood it very well.  Again, you are offering an opinion, regardless of it being respected or not and you're still talking and saying nothing more than some you are opposing. 

Over 56 years I have heard a lot of things, so don't try and educate me.  If the question that started this poll doesn't offend you, then so be it.  Why are you hassling those who are?  I mean, seriously, who are you to decide when someone is being to emotional or too scathing towards another.  I've read your posts and you're not doing anything exemplary by any standards.  You can take your comments you call logic and spin it anyway you want. I still don't see where you seem to be above this fray.

So, in my wife's defense and that of Tenaj and all others who are offended by this poll, it's their right, just as it is yours to comment any way they see fit.  You can't police this issue because you don't like the responses. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: December 24, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

You talk a good game and I understood it very well.  Again, you are offering an opinion, regardless of it being respected or not and you're still talking and saying nothing more than some you are opposing. 

Over 56 years I have heard a lot of things, so don't try and educate me.  If the question that started this poll doesn't offend you, then so be it.  Why are you hassling those who are?  I mean, seriously, who are you to decide when someone is being to emotional or too scathing towards another.  I've read your posts and you're not doing anything exemplary by any standards.  You can take your comments you call logic and spin it anyway you want. I still don't see where you seem to be above this fray.

So, in my wife's defense and that of Tenaj and all others who are offended by this poll, it's their right, just as it is yours to comment any way they see fit.  You can't police this issue because you don't like the responses. 

I Agree! 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
                        Winnipeg
                        Canada
                        Member #14974
                        May 7, 2005
                        3643 Posts
                        Posted: December 24, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

this is still going?? wow. merry x-mas die hards.No Pity!

Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #53416
                          July 6, 2007
                          702 Posts
                          Posted: December 24, 2007, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

this is still going?? wow. merry x-mas die hards.No Pity!

Still going, and you seem to be enjoying it as well. Merry Christmas, die hard.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: December 24, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Good post, Clairvoyance.  Thank you for sharing.  We can't blame everyone for the irresponsible people who abuse the system.  I remember when the evening news showed people gambling with the $2,000 debit card they got after Katrina.  I also remember a woman who lost everything and slept in the Astrodome and got a job as a nurse's aid in Houston.  She used the money to put a deposit on an apartment and start a new life.

Your story touched me since I see people with handicaps working at Publix, and then I see my lazy neighbors who cheat when they're perfectly capable of working. (if there were jobs around here now)  By the way, I saw one of the cashiers who has cerebral palsy go up to the counter and buy a lottery ticket.  I think it was right after I closed my eyes and said "why not me God?"

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
                              Winnipeg
                              Canada
                              Member #14974
                              May 7, 2005
                              3643 Posts
                              Posted: December 25, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Still going, and you seem to be enjoying it as well. Merry Christmas, die hard.

merry christmas danny boy. have a couple egg nogs for me.Dance

Page 13 of 14