Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should one play if they have others feeding them

Topic closed. 198 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 7 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think one should spend money on food while receiving food

Yes.. It is our duty to feed the stupid [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
No .. They should be using the money wisely [ 31 ]  [77.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

"Without speaking further to the young lady you encountered in the store it can’t be determined if she was in receipt of food stamps, medical assistance, housing subsidies, income tax subsidies or any other forms of “taxpayer assistance”. She may be receiving some type of assistance that you were unaware of."  LottoChica23 

I think the problem with these emotional discussions is that people are mixing up the good guys and the bad guys.  I am very much FOR helping people in need.  People who get food stamps and tax credits fall into very, very low income brackets.  As I mentioned earlier, often a person who is working 2 jobs usually won't qualify for most of the many benefits you listed because they earn too much money.  That woman I mentioned was very specific when she said she didn't get any assistance. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. Someone can be just a few thousand over the guidelines and be disqualified. On the other hand, I've known people who won't go back to work because they would lose their government checks. So we often reward people for staying home and punish others for working. It's a double-edged sword. 

By the way, speaking of grants, if anyone here actually has gotten one (not just heard about them on TV) please let me know.  When I moved to FL I went to every possible source to find out where I could get a government grant to start a business.  I was told "Nancy, there are no grants for anyone. They are all scams."  I disagreed since I kept hearing about all these grants for women, grants to start your own company, etc., but they said "We are asked this all the time. The answer is no grants!"  Most federal grants are awarded to organizations planning major projects of to better their community or research labs for scientific research. He just wants to sell books. 

Aw, you know you want one of those question-mark suitsJester. You'd be the life of the party.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Aw, you know you want one of those question-mark suitsJester. You'd be the life of the party.

Yes, and I'm one of the fools who ordered his book, too.  Fortunately, I ordered it at Barnes & Nobles & by the time it arrived, I had attended the above seminars I mentioned.  They told me to just look through it and it I didn't want to keep the book, they'd just put it on the shelf so I saved $25 (I think that was the price)  Funny thing is that Matthew Lesko gets a lot of good press, so it's puzzling to me.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2007, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes, and I'm one of the fools who ordered his book, too.  Fortunately, I ordered it at Barnes & Nobles & by the time it arrived, I had attended the above seminars I mentioned.  They told me to just look through it and it I didn't want to keep the book, they'd just put it on the shelf so I saved $25 (I think that was the price)  Funny thing is that Matthew Lesko gets a lot of good press, so it's puzzling to me.

He lives near me, he has a riddler VW!

Oh my God! Crazy????????????

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Jarasan, do you know anyone who has actually profited by any of his suggestions? 

There are so many people who get rich by selling books and holding seminars that tell people how to get rich.  I found out that many MLMs I looked into were just that ...  I never invested in them, because I kept asking "What's the product?" and there wasn't one.  You just keep telling people to send money to find out how they can become wealthy and then they tell other people to send money and then they tell other people and so on, and so on......You make a percentage of all the people your downline (or is it upline?) sells, but they're not selling anything, only the concept of selling something.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
          Lotto City, Michigan
          United States
          Member #36256
          March 30, 2006
          1472 Posts
          Posted: December 13, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

He lives near me, he has a riddler VW!

Oh my God! Crazy????????????

Where is Batman when you need him??? What?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: December 13, 2007, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Bat

nanolike's avatar - pink2
              WorldWide
              United States
              Member #55215
              September 18, 2007
              76 Posts
              Posted: December 13, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I once heard of a family who were a bunch of drugies who won the lottery "the Jackpot" and then all of them changed their lives and started going to church and stopped doing drugs cause they became increadible grateful for winning so you never know the future.

Winning the lottery does'nt have to be ones only hope of getting out of their poverty but unfortunately that is probably why people who are poor play, they really have nothing much going for themselves otherwise. At least this is their outlook. They feel the rich keep getting richer and they keep getting poorer and the smart thing to do is play the lottery cause maybe this is their ticket out of their poverty. How would you like to trade places with the poor, would that make a rich man feel better.

We dont have a poverty problem in this country we have a GREED problem. The top 10 richest people on the earth could collectively end poverty tomorrow.  

It's a NanoLike World!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: December 13, 2007, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

They fully intend to lower the number of poor people in the world. "ENDGAME" style.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Iowa
                  United States
                  Member #57036
                  December 14, 2007
                  4 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2007, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I'm new here as a poster, this topic is one of two tonight that prompted me to register and be able to post.

I just wanted to weigh in because I know how it is to live on both sides of the coin.  In the 5 years I have been married my husband has been ordered by a physician to give up his career due to health concerns.  We have started over, yet again.  The first time wasn't so bad because our living expenses were reasonable.  However, his most recent career had us in a very nice comfort zone and we purchased a home.  The mortgage is modest, by most standards ($600/mo) but when he was shut down by the doctor and unable to work for 2 months we had to apply for help.  All we get is food benefits, medical for the him and the kids, and a one time award to fill half of our LP tank for heat (not being ungrateful, just pointing out that we aren't milking the system).  I got a job for a decent wage working 3-11pm but not enough $$ to keep everything going indefinitely especially with the 80 mile daily roundtrip commute.  As soon as my husband was cleared to work he got a job.  Since his wage was higher than mine I requested a new assignment from the temp agency to better complement the hours he was working (1-11pm).  The agency reassigned me (conditionally upon finding a replacement for me) to a day shift in the same company I was assigned to.  We were ecstatic because we would have the means to care for our family without needing assistance any longer.  Long story short, jealousies from the permanent employees about me going to days when that's the position they wanted and were denied caused me to be let go by the client.  All I was doing was ending one assignment and starting another, but they didn't see it that way and said I should have kept it a secret.  Probably true, but I've been a stay at home mom for 2 1/2 years, I forgot how brutal women can be to work with.  So, instead we have to stay on some assistance because no one wants to hire someone who's been out of the workforce so long and has limited availability.  Who could afford to work for $7 and pay $6 of that to daycare?  The gov't takes the rest in taxes and there is not even enough left to pay my gas to get there.

Will this last, no.  My husband has other options that have recently opened to him so he will have a day job and I will work 2am to 6am and then go to college from 7- noon and train to be a mechanic.  I will work mostly with men, if memory serves from my time in the Navy they don't backstab like the women do.  If you are good at your job and pull your weight they are okay with you.  That's all I want.  That and to be self sufficient once again.

I am grateful there are programs available to help us make it through the tough times. 

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: December 15, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post.  I can't speak for everyone here, but I am happy you decided to post and pray that tough times will be only a memory for you soon and that you will both enjoy health and abundance.   

There's a reason I started to joke around in my above posts and change the subject.  Everyone was getting a little carried away, and a debate that can't possibly have a good outcome was getting hostile. As another member earlier wrote, what has happened here is a poll about playing the lottery while someone is getting food stamps has turned into a discussion about our entire social welfare system.

You wrote: "I will work mostly with men, if memory serves from my time in the Navy they don't backstab like the women do." 

Really?  I guess you never watched any political campaigns over the past several decades. Obviously you never sold cars or worked in the financial world.  I am sorry about your experiences with other women.  However, stereotyping women in general because of your bad experience is very judgmental. 

You wrote:  "I forgot how brutal women can be to work with." 

This indicates that you had trouble with female co-workers in the past.  Maybe you are the one who needs to adjust your attitude.  You claim you are a woman and yet twice you wrote how women are simply horrible.  This board is often about statistics and logic.  So what are you saying here? That most women are "brutal" and you are the exeption?  It must mean I'm a b**ch too and Emily and Lilly and Spy and GameGrl and Tenaj and Uff Da and ....  well, you got the picture.  Women are loving, nuturing, kind and generous.  I've worked with a lot of really difficult people, both male & female. 

Take care and God Bless.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2007, 1:30 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post.  I can't speak for everyone here, but I am happy you decided to post and pray that tough times will be only a memory for you soon and that you will both enjoy health and abundance.   

There's a reason I started to joke around in my above posts and change the subject.  Everyone was getting a little carried away, and a debate that can't possibly have a good outcome was getting hostile. As another member earlier wrote, what has happened here is a poll about playing the lottery while someone is getting food stamps has turned into a discussion about our entire social welfare system.

You wrote: "I will work mostly with men, if memory serves from my time in the Navy they don't backstab like the women do." 

Really?  I guess you never watched any political campaigns over the past several decades. Obviously you never sold cars or worked in the financial world.  I am sorry about your experiences with other women.  However, stereotyping women in general because of your bad experience is very judgmental. 

You wrote:  "I forgot how brutal women can be to work with." 

This indicates that you had trouble with female co-workers in the past.  Maybe you are the one who needs to adjust your attitude.  You claim you are a woman and yet twice you wrote how women are simply horrible.  This board is often about statistics and logic.  So what are you saying here? That most women are "brutal" and you are the exeption?  It must mean I'm a b**ch too and Emily and Lilly and Spy and GameGrl and Tenaj and Uff Da and ....  well, you got the picture.  Women are loving, nuturing, kind and generous.  I've worked with a lot of really difficult people, both male & female. 

Take care and God Bless.

justxploring i can honestly say when i worked as a manager i put out more woman/woman fires than men/men fires. It seems the men usually work it out among themselves while the women tended to make it a company wide event facilitating some kind of disciplinary actions.

And the temp workforce can be brutal many are on fixed incomes desperate to get as many hours as they could and they hated to see someone get picked for a permanent position over them especially if the temp is new. There are many and varied unique situations in the workplace and it was one of the hardest things i ever encountered as a manager. Because i had to judge the situations without bias even though i may have favored one person over another.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                        Member #15309
                        May 13, 2005
                        307 Posts
                        Posted: December 15, 2007, 8:50 am - IP Logged

I'm new here as a poster, this topic is one of two tonight that prompted me to register and be able to post.

I just wanted to weigh in because I know how it is to live on both sides of the coin.  In the 5 years I have been married my husband has been ordered by a physician to give up his career due to health concerns.  We have started over, yet again.  The first time wasn't so bad because our living expenses were reasonable.  However, his most recent career had us in a very nice comfort zone and we purchased a home.  The mortgage is modest, by most standards ($600/mo) but when he was shut down by the doctor and unable to work for 2 months we had to apply for help.  All we get is food benefits, medical for the him and the kids, and a one time award to fill half of our LP tank for heat (not being ungrateful, just pointing out that we aren't milking the system).  I got a job for a decent wage working 3-11pm but not enough $$ to keep everything going indefinitely especially with the 80 mile daily roundtrip commute.  As soon as my husband was cleared to work he got a job.  Since his wage was higher than mine I requested a new assignment from the temp agency to better complement the hours he was working (1-11pm).  The agency reassigned me (conditionally upon finding a replacement for me) to a day shift in the same company I was assigned to.  We were ecstatic because we would have the means to care for our family without needing assistance any longer.  Long story short, jealousies from the permanent employees about me going to days when that's the position they wanted and were denied caused me to be let go by the client.  All I was doing was ending one assignment and starting another, but they didn't see it that way and said I should have kept it a secret.  Probably true, but I've been a stay at home mom for 2 1/2 years, I forgot how brutal women can be to work with.  So, instead we have to stay on some assistance because no one wants to hire someone who's been out of the workforce so long and has limited availability.  Who could afford to work for $7 and pay $6 of that to daycare?  The gov't takes the rest in taxes and there is not even enough left to pay my gas to get there.

Will this last, no.  My husband has other options that have recently opened to him so he will have a day job and I will work 2am to 6am and then go to college from 7- noon and train to be a mechanic.  I will work mostly with men, if memory serves from my time in the Navy they don't backstab like the women do.  If you are good at your job and pull your weight they are okay with you.  That's all I want.  That and to be self sufficient once again.

I am grateful there are programs available to help us make it through the tough times. 

$600/month for mortgage!   When I read that, I glanced at your avatar box to see where you live.  Iowa.  I've never been to Iowa and don't know much about it.  But it's really good to know that one can still get a mortgage that low.  For I live in California where $600 a month may just pay for HOA fees.  Not to mention the melo-roos, bonds and special assessments added on to our property taxes. 

I live in an area where property taxes is 1.8% of assessed value.  And assessed value here is usually based on how much you paid for the property, and adjusted upward every year.  Well, I'm just griping really.  On to other topics...

You sound like a sensible woman.  And you have a plan for the future.  Good luck to you.  Oh, and here's a reminder, which I think you already know:  When climbing up the ladder, be very quiet.

Sun Smiley             

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2007, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Iowa
                            United States
                            Member #57036
                            December 14, 2007
                            4 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2007, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Four4me - you wrote: "justxploring i can honestly say when i worked as a manager i put out more woman/woman fires than men/men fires. It seems the men usually work it out among themselves while the women tended to make it a company wide event facilitating some kind of disciplinary actions"

That is precisely what I am talking about.  I chose to stay outside of the drama that was integral to the atmosphere in that place.  There were two of the 8 women that were specifically "ringleaders" of it.  Both claimed that the other was the supervisor's pet and they would be friendly and talking one day and the next day you could cut the tension with a knife between them.  And my cubicle just happened to be smack in the middle!

The only difference in the situation is that I was the only temp on that shift.  These girls had all chosen to take the permanent position from temp within the last 6 months to 2 years that they had been working there.  They constantly expressed their dissatisfaction with their job and worked just hard enough to get by without any flack from upper management.  Here I show up, just happy to have a job, working at the same competency level in 2 weeks as they expect out of someone by the end of 6 months and only attain from 2 people on the shift.

Moving to day shift is a coveted goal here in central Iowa and difficult to achieve if you have been established in evenings with the same company.  Someone has to retire or be fired and then it has to be more financially sound to expend more hours training you in the different procedures and replacing you in your old position than to just hire a newbie to the day side.  As a temp I was sitting on the easiest way to get to days, end my assignment.  It was a happy coincidence, at first, that I would be staying in the same building.  Unfortunately I shared my good fortune truly hoping that these girls who had befriended me would be happy for me knowing that it was the only way I could keep working, and instead they griped and got me canned.

Side note:  csfb - good advice that I learned the hard way, but the other thing is as a temp don't shine too brightly or the permanents will find a way to get rid of you! (okay, maybe I'm just bitter!)Bang Head

As for the housing situation in California vs. Iowa my taxes are only 400 annually and we have 4 acres with the nearest neighbor about ½ mile away.  (My mom still lives in NJ and is insanely jealous!)  But keep in mind the income is proportionately low with the expenses here.  The average income is between 25 and 40K.  It'd be murder to survive on that in Cali as a homeowner.

And finally justxploring:  You wrote: "So what are you saying here? That most women are "brutal" and you are the exeption?  It must mean I'm a b**ch too and Emily and Lilly and Spy and GameGrl and Tenaj and Uff Da and ....  well, you got the picture.  Women are loving, nuturing, kind and generous." 

I am no stranger to LP and have read many posts from you and the others you listed (just been a lurker off and on for 2 years) so I am surprised to see you jump at me like that.  I gave you no reason to think that I hate women in general.  And by no means do I think that makes you, et al.  b**ches.  There is a lot of competition for good jobs in the rural area where I live and they are difficult to get into without having the right connections.

Bottom line, and what you should have inferred from my comments is that these women who befriended me and complimented me on how quickly I learned the ropes and worked not only quickly but also well, betrayed me.  The sad part is, they are still working nights.  A different temp was put in the spot that they were going to give to me.  Nobody benefited from the sniping.  THAT, my dear, is BRUTAL.

Now, the only way I could say that you would be a b**ch is if you admit that you would stoop that low to hurt someone just for the sake of your pride.

You wrote: "Really?  I guess you never watched any political campaigns over the past several decades. Obviously you never sold cars or worked in the financial world."

I admit I have never sold cars or worked in the financial world, and have tried not to watch the campaigns because of the way they are conducted.  I believe that the hardworking laymen of our country are more honorable than our politicians though.  Even though I do have some very dear female friends with whom I have a wonderful relationship, I have always had a better rapport with men, maybe it is my type A personality, and maybe it's the Jersey or the sailor, or the trucker's daughter in me.  I just relate better to them.  Give me a few honest hardworking men to work side by side with and I will be happy to go to work every day, without the migraines or the gossip.     Rant  I think I'm done now!!! LOL

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                              Charlotte NC
                              United States
                              Member #17406
                              June 18, 2005
                              4053 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2007, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

From Justx

Everyone was getting a little carried away, and a debate that can't possibly have a good outcome was getting hostile. As another member earlier wrote, what has happened here is a poll about playing the lottery while someone is getting food stamps has turned into a discussion about our entire social welfare system.

What?Getting Hostile? The poll itself was "hostile" from the originator, Tntea.  What did Tntea expect?  That's how ignorant she is.  She actually expected everyone to agree that it's OK to call a student "a fat slop" coming from a teacher (how would you like to have a special needs child and the teacher show such contempt)

Were we suppose to show the same contempt that she have for poor people without showing any understanding from what should have been learned in middle school about our government of social welfare system?  Her contempt were the only two options in BOTH POLLS.

Some people tried to educate her and some people just called it like they saw it - an ignorant, misinformed person who was hating on poor people afraid that one day they might hit the jackpot and have more than her.

So if you want to change the thread to an argument about whether you have to put out more fires with a group of women than men - go right ahead - all you are doing is proving a point. 

takeemtothebank

Page 7 of 14