Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should one play if they have others feeding them

Topic closed. 198 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 4 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think one should spend money on food while receiving food

Yes.. It is our duty to feed the stupid [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
No .. They should be using the money wisely [ 31 ]  [77.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2007, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Tn Tea, one of the ways that should have been on the books along with the SSI check is that all "students" who qualify for this type of assistance should be re tested every three years to stay eligible and also the government should keep a record whether or not this "check" is the sole support of the family.  I am aware of situations like the fat guy you talked about. More than you know.  As far as buying a lottery ticket..heck..let them buy it.  I know a guy who spends at least one of his checks on scratch offs.  When he gets broke, then he can spend his wife's money.  It makes no difference..some people who receive assistance are going to behave like the people who work..they want the same things but are just NOT WILLING to work for them. On the other hand, you have people who are on assistance who work for very low wages, go to work everyday on time and never spend a quarter out of place.  This is the world the government has made for us. The only way we can fix it is to write letters and vote, vote, vote!! 

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2007, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I'd respond to anyone who posted such an insulting poll.  Your opinion for this poll was yours and mine is mine. 

I Agree!  I also responded the way I did, because how it was worded and the whole tone of the post. It has nothing to do with who posted it.

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
      Winnipeg
      Canada
      Member #14974
      May 7, 2005
      3639 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2007, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

hahaha. merry christmas.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2007, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  I also responded the way I did, because how it was worded and the whole tone of the post. It has nothing to do with who posted it.

TSChick for you it doesn't, but yes it does, you haven't been around that long.  P.S. What is the correct spelling?

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #2448
          October 4, 2003
          25885 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks to the "edit" button, Tntea took out her dictionary and correctly spelled Christmas.

I responded to a poll that just happened to be authored by Tntea.  I don't deal with her enough to care that she authored it. I have responded to a lot of polls in the past and been just as outspoken despite who authored it.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
            Lotto City, Michigan
            United States
            Member #36256
            March 30, 2006
            1472 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2007, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

I thought she meant CORPORATE welfare! LOL ROFL

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/time/1998/11/02/corp.welfare.html 

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: December 9, 2007, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

Tell me where you live and I will gladly send all these bums your way...

You don't wanna mess with me Tntea.  I ain't playing.   

takeemtothebank

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: December 10, 2007, 3:16 am - IP Logged

I was/am referring to people who refuse to work... and receive monthly assistance to eat... and a check each month...

This is a tough one to answer.  Like you, I've seen way too much abuse of a system that was originally meant to take care of the disabled and people who find themselves in unfortunate living situations due to a disaster, illness, loss of a job, and so on.  Welfare and other forms of government assistance were never meant to support beneficiaries indefinitely. 

Just be careful passing judgment on others, since each situation is different, and there are many people who work hard and still have trouble making ends meet and it's getting worse.  Spending a dollar or 2 every week on the lottery isn't going to make much of a difference. 

On another board I posted about the need for affordable health care.  That's a whole other subject, but many of us can't get good coverage even if we're willing to pay for it.  Sometimes people pay premiums for years and still can't get the help they need when they get sick. My close friend was on an HMO when she got breast cancer.  I remember when she said to me "Nancy, I'm fighting for my life and my biggest battle is with the insurance company!"  Then I see my neighbors sitting on their front porch smoking and drinking and collecting soc sec disability checks and they get all their medical care for free! I have no idea how they get away with it, unless being a drunken bum is a disability. 

So, do I think people who get food stamps, welfare or medicaid should be allowed to buy lottery tickets?  Yes.  Do I think it's responsible?  No.  My grandparents and their families came here from Europe with nothing but the clothes they were wearing. Many didn't speak a word of English and worked day and night to put food on the table.  That was before air conditioning and minimum wage and overtime and all the freebies. Still, there are an awful lot of people who work 2 jobs for $7 an hour and have trouble paying the rent because of the high cost of living today. Then there are those who cry poverty, take charity, and go out and buy 60" plasmas.

So as I said when I began this post, this is a very difficult question to answer.  I resent the cheaters as much as anybody.  But what's the answer?  Maybe we need to learn to take care of each other and work within our communities to uplift our spirits and make America strong again, and stop working against each other.  As Deepak Chopra writes "from compassion comes love and with love comes peace."

Dolce, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #26462
                  November 18, 2005
                  50 Posts
                  Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Your poll questions ring like a basic course for political push polling, where you get a call that says 'candidate Bad Guy supports abortion and kills babies, would you vote for him and why do you support him if he kills babies?'

The poll was fair enough; should they play, etc.  Fair question.

In that framework, sure, why not?  You can play, I can play.  This is, afterall, still a fairly free country.

I'm a veteran, did my bit, and I've never believed that gave me any special rights.  Serving is a duty.  Yet, I can walk in to the VA and get medical care, even for non service related illness, etc.  I work, and have good insurance, so I don't need to do that.  But I know people (some even family) who have to and do.  Take that benefit away from them and they have no place to go.  So, even the VA has a lot to do with helping those in need.

So, a lot of folks out there draw aid of some kind.  Even vets get compensation for disability.  For many, they're so disabled, up to 100%, that they can't work, so their check supports them.  You gonna tell them they can't buy a lottery ticket if they want?

Those hillbillies on the porch, drinking booze and whatever, for the most part, don't even see doctors until its too late.  A great deal of public health care money goes to paying for such people near the end of their lives.  Meaning, they walk in and see a doctor for some ailement, and find out they have end stage cancer.  Something that requires surgery, hospital stays, etc.  One of the great aims of national health insurance is to promote preventative medical care in order to reduce costs with end of life issues.

We need to focus on making the rich, and the fatboys, pay their share.  They've been getting away with murder for nearly 7 years.  They need to pay their share, and we need to ensure that share is really 'fair' and not a free pass.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5592 Posts
                    Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Very well said.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5592 Posts
                      Posted: December 10, 2007, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Very well said.

Was trying to reply to justxploring, still learning how this works. (Old dog;new tricks....)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2007, 11:37 am - IP Logged

You don't wanna mess with me Tntea.  I ain't playing.   

Lurking

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2007, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, rcb.   Sometimes I forget to quote someone too. 

Those hillbillies on the porch, drinking booze and whatever, for the most part, don't even see doctors until its too late.  A great deal of public health care money goes to paying for such people near the end of their lives.  Meaning, they walk in and see a doctor for some ailement, and find out they have end stage cancer.  Something that requires surgery, hospital stays, etc.  One of the great aims of national health insurance is to promote preventative medical care in order to reduce costs with end of life issues.

Fastball, I'm not sure if you were referring to my post or someone else's, but I never said the people drinking and smoking on the front porch down the road were hillbillies.  That's a stereotype.  They're from New York and well educated. 

I agree with you about public health care and end stage illnesses.  But it's not only the poor people on Medicaid that need to worry about that. What about the working class who can't afford health insurance? I had a job with benefits, the store closed, and I got a letter offering me the group plan under COBRA for over $550 a month. (for one person)   How can I afford that?  In fact, from what I've seen, many people who feel they should get everything for free take full advantage of the system and milk it to death.  I know a very compassionate man, an EMT, who says he is sick of showing up at homes where people have a cold or just want a free ride to the hospital.  Some people use the ER for everything from minor cuts to headaches.  Why?  Because (a) everything is paid for and (b) if they get a bill and don't pay for it, they don't care because they have lousy credit anyway.

BTW, I am not just talking about people who don't work or get food stamps.  I was talking to a woman the other day who said "I don't understand why anyone would pay for health insurance.  After all, medical care is free in this country. I just go to the hospital."  The woman next to her nodded. She doesn't know why I paid for eyeglasses either. On the other hand, FJA mentioned apartments in which people on a limited income reside.  Last year I worked with dual eligibles (recipients of both Medicare & Medicaid) and visited people living in HUD housing. Some people were living on as little as $600 a month social security.  It's sad, but there's no way of separating the needy from the abusers without revamping the whole system. 

So how can we possibly monitor who should or shouldn't play the lottery?  It's impossible.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure someone already mentioned this but too excited to be back and read long responses.  Just wannna say that GOVT. aide is just a stepping stone to get someone out of a rut, not to live on. Or atleast it should be.

I was shocked about 15 years ago when Mayor Guilliani of NYC made a statement that all welfare mothers who were physically able to work was imposed on spoiled humans who couldn't imagine working for money....lol

There was outrage among the women on the streets, as I remember the newscast lady telling me with the video behind her of women up in arms....flailing their digits...lol.  I actually have to work If I can?  Not!!

I,m not perfect of course but I don't make it as obvious....

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #2448
                              October 4, 2003
                              25885 Posts
                              Posted: December 10, 2007, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Do you think one should spend money on food while receiving food

TnTea, can you explain the title to your poll question? 
                              If one can't buy food with their food stamps, what should they buy with them?  You obviously comprehend your half-brained comments better than most.  People should mind their own business about their money.  If it doesn't bother you that politicians spend more tax dollars on useless pork, it shouldn't bother you that someone on assistance uses their money for wasteful things, according to your elitist world.
                              Now, I have read the question several times, as did my dog and we both comprehended it as you posed it.
                              Do you think one should spend money on food while recieving food? The dog and I also assumed the word stamps was left off the post. But, if we assumed wrong, your speech is worse than mine, and I'm a foreigner.

Page 4 of 14