Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should one play if they have others feeding them

Topic closed. 198 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 6 of 14
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think one should spend money on food while receiving food

Yes.. It is our duty to feed the stupid [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
No .. They should be using the money wisely [ 31 ]  [77.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
Manila
Philippines
Member #56950
December 10, 2007
10 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2007, 2:07 am - IP Logged

LottoChica, I wish what you wrote was true about getting "taxpayer assistance."  It doesn't work that way.  I wasn't going to add anything, but at about 9:15 tonight I got one of my "I think I'll go out and play my Fantasy 5 numbers" cravings.  I also needed some groceries, so I went to the supermarket.

At that hour it was pretty empty, so I began chatting with the cashier and asked if she got a dinner break, blah, blah...and she said she eats between her 2 jobs.  One job is from 8 to 5 and she begins this one at 6:30 after she gets home and has dinner with her 2 teenagers.  She said "I'm a single mom and my husband never paid me anything. I couldn't qualify for assistance because I had a job." This is very typical for a single mom (or dad) who has been left alone to support the family.  The reason she doesn't qualify for assistance is she's not broke because she works 2 jobs. Maybe she owns a house too.  I think this is what tntea is trying to point out about the people who don't want to work, not those who deserve some help.

The system is very messed up, to say the least.  It often punishes people for being responsible and rewards those who aren't.  Just because you lose your home or end up living out of your car doesn't mean you get help from the government.  Some people on this board seem to think that this is something automatic. 

well i think it may take some time to revamp the system yet. :) its not an easy task though. 

nanolike's avatar - pink2
    WorldWide
    United States
    Member #55215
    September 18, 2007
    76 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2007, 4:28 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you think that you somehow support this fat slob with your tax money? I think the person you need to concern yourself with is YOU and not what someone else is doing?

You need to get your mind on the things you need to do not what others are doing!

I realize it drives you batty but you are not paying his bill, you dont make enough to be worrying about the $4 a year you might give up! I'm sure you're doing better than the fat slob anyhow.

Who knows maybe one day the fat slob he might just win and give you some. Then what would you think?

Havent you ever given money voluntarily to a homeless man or woman on the street, do you really worry about what they are going to do with the $2 you gave them.

The fat slob isnt making enough for you to concern and of your thoughts on. It would be different if 1 million dollars were going to one person, I suspect the fat slob doesnt even bring in 700 a month. You go live on that see how far you get maybe playing the lottery he feels is his only hope of getting out of he delemia.

you act like he has a million dollars or something.win maybe you can lay around like a bum in the sun. I'm sure you will too with all those millions!

Its sort of funny how one man judges another for gambling when that man is gambling too.

Like trying to remove the speck from someone elses eye when you have a log in your own!

Maybe we will all become fat slobs if we won the lottery Jackpot.

It's a NanoLike World!

lottogloria's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
      cleveland
      United States
      Member #35045
      March 11, 2006
      40 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2007, 5:42 am - IP Logged

I have a 92 year old dad,who lives with me.I take care of all his bills.But at 92 the lottery keeps his mind a live.He plays 10.00 a day. When it comes to numbers his mind is as sharp as it was when he was forty.You can ask him what came out on a certain date 10 years ago and most of the time he is right.
          In his case he will never be a rich man, but he wins enough to keep him happy and thats all that matters to me.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
        Member #91
        January 19, 2002
        11927 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2007, 6:27 am - IP Logged

tntea writes: 

WAKE UP people..  As LittleOLDLady suggested we need to vote and watch what is going on.. Those who don't acknowledge what is going on, are the ignorant who will continue to stand up for the lazy who does not want to work.   In person, the only people who disagreed with the conversation were those who don't want to work, nor share any found wealth.

Wow!  If I add a word  and change a word, you almost sound like David Duke!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2007, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Smiley Santa

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I have a 92 year old dad,who lives with me.I take care of all his bills.But at 92 the lottery keeps his mind a live.He plays 10.00 a day. When it comes to numbers his mind is as sharp as it was when he was forty.You can ask him what came out on a certain date 10 years ago and most of the time he is right.
                In his case he will never be a rich man, but he wins enough to keep him happy and thats all that matters to me.

You're a darling!  I would have loved to take care of my dad too.  But he died much younger.  I wasn't prepared for it.  I kept praying to the Almighty to take me instead of him, but such was not the case.

Enjoy his company.  Hope he'll win and then some.  Take care.

Sun Smiley             

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3047 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2007, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes.-weshar75

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2007, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Another point to look at about receiving federal tax dollars.

There are people who own parcels of land and they receive federal tax dollars to not plant various crops. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

There are working families who do not receive monthly funded by the Gov,t but receive federal funds in different forms when they file taxes. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

The list goes on.

So what do we call the people who receive the above funds I just mentioned. The majority of us call them SMART.

Another one to think of.
                The last I knew is that teachers have a retirement fund for teachers. Teachers are exempt from Paying social security taxes the last I knew. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

The same exemption goes for elected politicans in D.C. the last I knew they are exempt from social security taxes as they have their own retirement fund and a damn good one at that. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

WHATT

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
                  Fughedaboutit (NY)
                  United States
                  Member #8160
                  October 26, 2004
                  6777 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

LottoChica, I wish what you wrote was true about getting "taxpayer assistance."  It doesn't work that way.  I wasn't going to add anything, but at about 9:15 tonight I got one of my "I think I'll go out and play my Fantasy 5 numbers" cravings.  I also needed some groceries, so I went to the supermarket.

At that hour it was pretty empty, so I began chatting with the cashier and asked if she got a dinner break, blah, blah...and she said she eats between her 2 jobs.  One job is from 8 to 5 and she begins this one at 6:30 after she gets home and has dinner with her 2 teenagers.  She said "I'm a single mom and my husband never paid me anything. I couldn't qualify for assistance because I had a job." This is very typical for a single mom (or dad) who has been left alone to support the family.  The reason she doesn't qualify for assistance is she's not broke because she works 2 jobs. Maybe she owns a house too.  I think this is what tntea is trying to point out about the people who don't want to work, not those who deserve some help.

The system is very messed up, to say the least.  It often punishes people for being responsible and rewards those who aren't.  Just because you lose your home or end up living out of your car doesn't mean you get help from the government.  Some people on this board seem to think that this is something automatic. 

I don’t know what you think that I said is not true. It is true that at times in people’s lives; they may have to seek taxpayer assistance due to unforeseen circumstances. When you speak about getting “taxpayer assistance” saying that “it doesn’t work that way” what way are you referring to?

“Taxpayer Assistance” comes in many forms… there are means tested benefits where you have to demonstrate eligibility according to certain criteria. Means tested benefits include but are not limited to Cash Assistance, Medicaid, Food Stamps, Fuel for heating etc. There are also grants, subsidies, child support services, tax credits, crisis/emergency assistance etc. All of those things come from taxpayer’s money. One size does not fit all, because one may not be able to get assistance from one program, they may be able to get it from another. You have to know what options are available to you and the criteria for receiving those benefits. Some Taxpayers may be receiving “taxpayer assistance” themselves that they are not even aware of. 

Without speaking further to the young lady you encountered in the store it can’t be determined if she was in receipt of food stamps, medical assistance, housing subsidies, income tax subsidies or any other forms of “taxpayer assistance”. She may be receiving some type of assistance that you were unaware of. 

I commend her for holding down two jobs to raise her family. Yes Nod

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Another point to look at about receiving federal tax dollars.

There are people who own parcels of land and they receive federal tax dollars to not plant various crops. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

There are working families who do not receive monthly funded by the Gov,t but receive federal funds in different forms when they file taxes. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

The list goes on.

So what do we call the people who receive the above funds I just mentioned. The majority of us call them SMART.

Another one to think of.
                    The last I knew is that teachers have a retirement fund for teachers. Teachers are exempt from Paying social security taxes the last I knew. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

The same exemption goes for elected politicans in D.C. the last I knew they are exempt from social security taxes as they have their own retirement fund and a damn good one at that. Should we tell them they can not play the lottery.

Some folks here are bothered by the specifics of 'Tea's question.

I think JAP69 is one of the few who gets the point about the principle of the slippery slope of telling people what to do with their time or money (unless they are under your direct care).

Taking your money to give to someone else is telling you what to do with it. But the target of ire should be the agency/person who took it. 

You don't want the world of ACLU pizza, do you? Well, I don't.

Can you imagine the "Diet police" at the checkout? "Hey, Fatty, step away from the chips!" 

How about a Ministry of Health? "Hey, Chubbs, get thee to some low-fat yogurt!"

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
                      Lotto City, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #36256
                      March 30, 2006
                      1472 Posts
                      Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

The lottery is said to be a "tax on the mathematically illiterate" anyway, so welfare recipients are paying taxes when they play the lottery.

Are those "mathematically illiterate" people who play the lottery "stupid"? I'm not one to say.

Like Jesus Christ said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."  

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #2448
                        October 4, 2003
                        25884 Posts
                        Posted: December 11, 2007, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Time*treat, TnTea can ask any question she wants, but calling people nasty names is as low classed as it gets.  She could have asked the question without the vile nastiness she used.  She wouldn't like it if people called her name, and she is judging people.  Like, I said, she may as well have broken her insults down to race, and locale of where people live specifically in a city.

But, apparently TnTea's real motive IMHO was to brag about how she gives to certain people while bashing people she does not know.  She gets some psychopathic lift from her insulting of others and as one poster said it, she could find herself in a needy position one day and she wouldn't like it if she was judged.

She is a legend in her own mind.  She needs to have her meds increased.

Maybe people should ask the government to not pay the retirement of stupid teachers from Tennessee, and then allow us to tell the government the stupid teachers name.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2007, 4:55 am - IP Logged

"Without speaking further to the young lady you encountered in the store it can’t be determined if she was in receipt of food stamps, medical assistance, housing subsidies, income tax subsidies or any other forms of “taxpayer assistance”. She may be receiving some type of assistance that you were unaware of."  LottoChica23 

I think the problem with these emotional discussions is that people are mixing up the good guys and the bad guys.  I am very much FOR helping people in need.  People who get food stamps and tax credits fall into very, very low income brackets.  As I mentioned earlier, often a person who is working 2 jobs usually won't qualify for most of the many benefits you listed because they earn too much money.  That woman I mentioned was very specific when she said she didn't get any assistance. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. Someone can be just a few thousand over the guidelines and be disqualified. On the other hand, I've known people who won't go back to work because they would lose their government checks. So we often reward people for staying home and punish others for working. It's a double-edged sword. 

By the way, speaking of grants, if anyone here actually has gotten one (not just heard about them on TV) please let me know.  When I moved to FL I went to every possible source to find out where I could get a government grant to start a business.  I was told "Nancy, there are no grants for anyone. They are all scams."  I disagreed since I kept hearing about all these grants for women, grants to start your own company, etc., but they said "We are asked this all the time. The answer is no grants!"  Most federal grants are awarded to organizations planning major projects of to better their community or research labs for scientific research. He just wants to sell books. 

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: December 12, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: December 12, 2007, 9:56 am - IP Logged

i do think if people have children and are low on funds they should be cautious when playing the lottery.although the elderly tend to make up a large part of the game playing demographic studies do show that those with more disposable income do tend to wager more than those who are on a fixed income thus they have less to play with due to the rent,bills and whatnot...

Page 6 of 14