Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you do to Increase your Odds of Winning?

Topic closed. 147 replies. Last post 7 years ago by THRUST.

Page 5 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7318 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:50 am - IP Logged

I'm not gonna get into an argument about it, it's obviously very close to your heart from what i've read.  The argument can be resolved with two questions. 

Do you have more of a chance of winning if we both purchase the same amount of tickets - NO

&  Have you ever won the lottery and I mean the jackpot - NO

"Do you have more of a chance of winning if we both purchase the same amount of tickets - NO"

You're wrong!

You can buy 46 MM QPs and I'll buy 46 tickets using all 46 bonus ball with a 2 if 5 of 56 numbers abbreviated wheel. While our overall chances of winning are the same, my chances are slightly better because I'm using all the bonus balls. Each of my tickets has 1 chance out of just 3,904,701 while your chances are combined so you have 175,711,496 ways to lose and I "only" have 3,904,700.

A better comparison is paying 10 random pick-3 straight combos versus playing 10 combos using all 10 digits in the first position. The former has 990 ways to lose and the latter has only 99.

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:25 am - IP Logged

"Do you have more of a chance of winning if we both purchase the same amount of tickets - NO"

You're wrong!

You can buy 46 MM QPs and I'll buy 46 tickets using all 46 bonus ball with a 2 if 5 of 56 numbers abbreviated wheel. While our overall chances of winning are the same, my chances are slightly better because I'm using all the bonus balls. Each of my tickets has 1 chance out of just 3,904,701 while your chances are combined so you have 175,711,496 ways to lose and I "only" have 3,904,700.

A better comparison is paying 10 random pick-3 straight combos versus playing 10 combos using all 10 digits in the first position. The former has 990 ways to lose and the latter has only 99.

Oh Thank you and Bless you Stack 47. MaLovey you Win! Win! Win! Win! Win! Win! Win! Win! Always!!!SmileApprove

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
      Panama
      Member #73078
      April 4, 2009
      3490 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2010, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Let's see, what to do to increase the odds of winning.....

First I go to the predictions page and look for the three or four individuals who might actually be playing their own predictions. The number of predictions made is a pretty good indicator for who they might be because some of the posters there make so many predictions that they either have very deep pockets and are just playing lotto out of boredom, or are actually already residents in the ILS.

Then I look at the drawings for at least the last ten days for the game I'm going to play.

Then I see if there are any recurring numbers.

Then I get some playslips and one of those plastic lottto 'wallets' the lottery gives out. 

I put the current Star Scroll for my sign in with the playslips, it gives you sets of numbers for all month and for individual days.

Then I check my e-mails to see if the Lottery Fairy has sent me anything. I notice the number of messages and unread e-mails and wonder if it would make a good Pick 4.

On the way to go play I look to see if I see the same numbers on diffferent license plates.

On the way from the parking lot into the store I check for license plates again.

Then I check out the horoscopes in a couple of the tabloids, especially the Sun and National Examiner (Tony Leggett is excellent - once he gave a set of numbers that kept paying $2 and $10 on Pick 5).

Then as I approach the counter I do a "Hukka" like the Samoan football players.

Then I take out the playslip where one or two boxes are marked QP and I have written PAY ME in another one and voided that.

On the way out of the store I look at the impusle item displays to see if there are any stuffed animals, especially unocorns or elephants, and if so rub the ticket on them.

Have a Lucky Day!

Well Coin Toss,  at least you have a System.  Its a little complex but if it works for you, Play on!!!Approve

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

LadyMylena,

Unicorns are considered lucky and elephants if the trunks are pointing up.

A guy in Las Vegas used to seel luggage on a street corner and one time he went to Mexico and brought a bunch back to sell that had a lot of pieces with unicorns on them. Painted, embroidered, lots of unicorns. He sold all that stuff very quickly and a Vegas old timer told him gamblers always consider unicorns to be lucky.

jrosina,

Not really complex comapred to some of the ones here on LP! I forgot to mention writing thre number 8 on a piece of paper and keeping it in the lotto wallet, like Glynis McCants, the Numbers Lady, suggests.

Wink

PS to Todd,

How about an item for the bookstore - an LP lotto wallet with a unicorn or elephant on it?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

LadyMylena,

A guy in Las Vegas used to seel luggage on a street corner and one time he went to Mexico and brought a bunch back to sell that had a lot of pieces with unicorns on them. Painted, embroidered, lots of unicorns. He sold all that stuff very quickly and a Vegas old timer told him gamblers always consider unicorns to be lucky.

jrosina,

Not really complex comapred to some of the ones here on LP! I forgot to mention writing thre number 8 on a piece of paper and keeping it in the lotto wallet, like Glynis McCants, the Numbers Lady, suggests.

Wink

PS to Todd,

How about an item for the bookstore - an LP lotto wallet with a unicorn or elephant on it?

Yes yes, Coin Toss,  I heard about the Number "8" Phenomenon, and I said heck why not!!SmileBig Smile

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
            Kansas
            United States
            Member #83963
            December 19, 2009
            347 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

LadyMylena,

jrosina,

Wink

PS to Todd,

I've heard about the number 8, and have heard people say it's very lucky, like infinity.

Well, I have a set of elephants on my shelf that used to belong to my grandma, whaddayaknow...they have their trunks up. Smile  Maybe they're my lucky charm. lol

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2010, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

The best thing to do to increase the odds of winning is to buy more tickets.

Actually you can't increase the odds of winning. The odds of winning the jackpot will always be 1. You can however increase your chance at winning by buying more tickets.

I play MM and there are over 175 million possible combinations. I can buy 1 million tickets and it's possible that none of them will hit the jackpot so it all depends on luck.

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2010, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Actually you can't increase the odds of winning. The odds of winning the jackpot will always be 1. You can however increase your chance at winning by buying more tickets.

I play MM and there are over 175 million possible combinations. I can buy 1 million tickets and it's possible that none of them will hit the jackpot so it all depends on luck.

I know You can increase your odds!  If you study for an exam you Increase your Odds of getting a perfect mark,. So is with almost every thing, so is with the game of diggits!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

CA
                  United States
                  Member #84266
                  December 26, 2009
                  410 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2010, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

I've heard about the number 8, and have heard people say it's very lucky, like infinity.

Well, I have a set of elephants on my shelf that used to belong to my grandma, whaddayaknow...they have their trunks up. Smile  Maybe they're my lucky charm. lol

The Chinese believe the number 8 is lucky because the pronunciation in Chinese is similar to the Chinese word for "rich". Also it is the infinity symbol if it was on its side.

CA
                    United States
                    Member #84266
                    December 26, 2009
                    410 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2010, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I know You can increase your odds!  If you study for an exam you Increase your Odds of getting a perfect mark,. So is with almost every thing, so is with the game of diggits!!!

You can't with the lottery. Odds and chance are 2 different things. The jackpot odds are always 1 in X because there is only 1 winning combination.

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

You can't with the lottery. Odds and chance are 2 different things. The jackpot odds are always 1 in X because there is only 1 winning combination.

Only an Idiot would argue against logic,  So I ill say that by Increasing my chances to win, my probability of winning goes up! how is that?

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

CA
                        United States
                        Member #84266
                        December 26, 2009
                        410 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Only an Idiot would argue against logic,  So I ill say that by Increasing my chances to win, my probability of winning goes up! how is that?

That's a better way to put it. The original topic asks about increasing the odds of winning which is not possible. I was just stating the difference between odds and chance/ probability.

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

That's a better way to put it. The original topic asks about increasing the odds of winning which is not possible. I was just stating the difference between odds and chance/ probability.

Thanks  badboy00z, You are the best.  I think I will reword my topic!  Never be too wise badboy00z,  it will leave you in the arid-desert land of knowitallness; I try to stay green, an older man said to me once, "Rosina stay green; when you'r too ripe you rot"

You could chage your username to goodbad/boy!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

badboyOOz said and I quote.."it all depends on luck"..badboyOOz you are tiggs hero..Say it again over and over.."it all depends on luck"..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19830 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2010, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

True, but if you bought 175 million QPs and thought you had the same chance of winning as someone who bought all 175 million possible combinations then you would be wrong.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Page 5 of 10