Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you do to Increase your Odds of Winning?

Topic closed. 147 replies. Last post 7 years ago by THRUST.

Page 7 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1648 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Well, it really isn't a system if there' no causality.   It doesn't matter what kind of frequency analysis, addition, subtraction or multiplying that you do, if there isn't a reason behind it then it's just arithmetic.  

Methods of covering odds such as wheels are just too rich for my blood as you wind up buying hundreds of tickets and most wheels involve selecting a subset of the numbers to cover often chosen by frequency statistics but the mechanics of the draw are such that the difference between a "hot" and a "cold" number is not significant nor is the concept of "hot" and "cold" even tracked well due to the order of the draw.  

For the draw lotteries, the only thing that I do is ensure that there is no or at least minimal overlap between the lines that I do purchase and I have a program that I wrote to chose the lines at random such that the lines don't share any number combinations at all.   All this results in is that for the dollars that I do spend on a draw lottery, I get the maximum number of chances to win a prize.   For example, two tickets with the numbers of 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 2 3 4 5 6 7 has fewer chances to win a prize then two tickets with the numbers of 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 7 8 9 10 11 12 simply due to the overlap in number combinations.  

For scratchoff tickets, it gets a lot more complicated as you can actually calculate the various odds as the lottery commission publishes what prizes have been claimed on a daily basis.   With the scratch off tickets, I've been rating them three ways.  One where I assign a rating proportional to the logarithms of the prize value and inversely proportional to the logarithms of the odds against said prize values (much as logarithmic scales are used with rating hurricanes and earthquakes, I figure it's really the scale and not the specific value that's important).   The second is where I work out the odds of the scenario where $100 of tickets is purchased and all prizes won below a target prize amount is reinvested into buying more tickets hence giving me ratings per targets such as $1,000 prize or better.   The third is where I work out the expected return but only considering the prizes that have a 50% or better probability of being won for given investment amounts such as $20, $100, $1000.   The idea is that the first method (the logarithmic scale) is a good overall indicator favoring smaller prizes and more prize levels in a game, the second is a good indicator given a target result and the third is an indicator of which game will give you the most in small wins while waiting for the big win.   Fortunately, it doesn't take long to update the spreadsheet with the published values each day and the ratings tend not to change much day to day, indeed they rarely change at all which is a good sanity check for the validity of the rating systems.

The odds with scratchoff games are much better than with draw games but you tend to spend more with the scratchoff games due to their higher price and the draw games have a much larger top prize amount.   But my four out of five number match in last week's Mega Millions only netted $150 while a $20 scratchoff ticket in December netted $1,000.   The draw games may have large top prizes but all other prizes are quite pitiful.

Remember that even if you are improving the odds by a factor of thousands, it's still a very very long shot.

The lottery isn't the only way for a working stiff to get out of the trap.   Steady dollar cost averaging in investments over a couple of decades can easily make you a millionaire but the lottery is the only way to get out of a desperate situation if you are living beyond your means and have not been able to set anything aside for savings.    Ironically, the amount that you play in lotteries could very well be enough to establish a good portfolio.

Hi there. IMHO, everything you say here makes perfect sense and is true...especially your first two sentences. There must be some sort of logic behind one's mathematical approach when it comes to playing Pick games. Reasons like "this hasn't happened in this many days", and "this can't happen", or "that can't happen again" have burned me many times. This is a numbers game and all the same numbers are in there before the next draw...just like the last time.

This simply means that what happened last time can, in fact, happen again. When it comes to the big lotteries like Mega Millions and so forth, it becomes extremely hard to match numbers due to the numerical parameters involved. When a person does get four out of five or five out of six numbers, it usually never happens again. I know someone that this happened to. It's fun to play and hope at any rate, though.

The only games to play and cover odds reasonably are Pick 3 and Pick 4 because you're dealing with a number count that is "managable" if you will. You can cover odds, get the hit, and make a small consistent profit if you don't get greedy and stick to your logic. I've lost a lot in my day all to learn how not to lose. It's well worth it when you're gambling like this and I consider it paying my dues to win. Just my .02 cents. Thanks for your time.

L.L.

United States
    Member #83701
    December 13, 2009
    225 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:30 am - IP Logged

Not all lottery games use Ping Pong balls, some lottery games use computers as the RNG.  Google for Ron Harris, an employee who worked for Nevada Gaming Commission, he developed a program to increase his odds in predicting the next Keno game by using the past draw.  He and a friend went to Atlantic City, used the program and hit the $100,000 jackpot.  They were caught and he spent time in Nevada prison.  They did not hit the first time, all the program did was dramatically increase your odds.  So if he had listened to the naysayers he would have quit after first failed attempt (which might have been a good thing in not getting prison time), but he believed in his system and after a few tries hit jackpot.  His program exploited the fact that the RNG being used in Keno game was not truly random and using past draws could predict future draws.

So if the lottery game is using a computer to generate an RNG, then that RNG is potentially exploitable or biased.  How many times have web sites and databases been hacked by people looking for exploits.  Just because the computer RNG has not been hacked yet does not mean that it cannot be exploited, just like web sited that store credit card information that have not been exploited yet, how do you know that they can't be.  If you want to secure a server from being exploited then you lock it in a room and pull the network connection, but that it makes it kinda of useless.

Jimmy

It's very very difficult to come up with a RNG algorithm that passes all the usual statistical tests of "randomness" so it may be possible that the algorithms used are still one of the classic well known and well used algorithms.   It would still be very hard to fit actual draw values to one as the internal state would be much larger than the draw values but in theory it should be possible to eventually predict RNG draws unless they periodically changed the algorithms without telling anyone.   Also, the initial seed is still based on true physical random parameters at the time the program was invoked such as the exact time the program was started so the RNG algorithm will only relate the numbers within a draw and not from draw to draw.   The Keno program was probably running for many draws but it's unlikely for a lottery to be drawn by a continuously running program.   If you are going to exploit a RNG, you pretty much will have to start by social engineering access to the program and the policies and practices by which the program is used and even then a draw that happens just once or twice a week or even once a day is unlikely to give you enough data to sync in so that you can make a prediction.

CA
      United States
      Member #84266
      December 26, 2009
      410 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Hi there. IMHO, everything you say here makes perfect sense and is true...especially your first two sentences. There must be some sort of logic behind one's mathematical approach when it comes to playing Pick games. Reasons like "this hasn't happened in this many days", and "this can't happen", or "that can't happen again" have burned me many times. This is a numbers game and all the same numbers are in there before the next draw...just like the last time.

This simply means that what happened last time can, in fact, happen again. When it comes to the big lotteries like Mega Millions and so forth, it becomes extremely hard to match numbers due to the numerical parameters involved. When a person does get four out of five or five out of six numbers, it usually never happens again. I know someone that this happened to. It's fun to play and hope at any rate, though.

The only games to play and cover odds reasonably are Pick 3 and Pick 4 because you're dealing with a number count that is "managable" if you will. You can cover odds, get the hit, and make a small consistent profit if you don't get greedy and stick to your logic. I've lost a lot in my day all to learn how not to lose. It's well worth it when you're gambling like this and I consider it paying my dues to win. Just my .02 cents. Thanks for your time.

L.L.

I hope that I never get 4 or 5 of 6 numbers when playing MM or Super lotto Plus. Some might think I'm crazy for not wanting to match as many numbers as possible but you have a good point. People who match 4-5 of 6 numbers will probably never get that close again. But anything is theoretically possible since all the numbers are there every draw. However it is statistically impossible.

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2010, 2:00 am - IP Logged

8 is also two times 4 and the pronunciation of the number 4 in all Asian languages is the same as death in the same language hence 8 gets two deaths and you have to be very lucky to die twice.   The pronunciation of 8 isn't the same as "rich" in all asian languages but the pronunciation of 4 is the same as "death" in all asian languages.   The pronunciation of 8 is more correctly described as being the same as "full" in mandarin not "rich".   Four is the big superstitious number in asian cultures to the point where there will not be a fourth floor in an elevator much as there isn't a 13th floor in North American elevators.

So you're saying that all multiples of 4 is considered unlucky by all Asians??

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40422 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:14 am - IP Logged

4 is half of 8 i love it

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

New York,
            Panama
            Member #73078
            April 4, 2009
            3490 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:22 am - IP Logged

8 is also two times 4 and the pronunciation of the number 4 in all Asian languages is the same as death in the same language hence 8 gets two deaths and you have to be very lucky to die twice.   The pronunciation of 8 isn't the same as "rich" in all asian languages but the pronunciation of 4 is the same as "death" in all asian languages.   The pronunciation of 8 is more correctly described as being the same as "full" in mandarin not "rich".   Four is the big superstitious number in asian cultures to the point where there will not be a fourth floor in an elevator much as there isn't a 13th floor in North American elevators.

I like the name "full" for the number 8,  Full of life since it is the sign of eternity, full of all good things, And while it is true that 8 is twice 4, It is also true that  1+7=8 and all the other additions that will bring you to the number 8 that are not funest. I am still partial to the number 8.  by the way it is interesting that 1+3=4

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2010, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Many more play QP than PSelect?

jarasan where have you been hiding?

Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2010, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

ca-dreamin*,

Yeah, I know you play Little Lotto. Here's the last two years, individually and combined. So far this year it's been 16 Player Picks and 17 QPs not counting tonight.

First, the results for the last two years; 

These were the 2008 results:

146 Jackpots

120 QP   82.19%

91 PS      62.32%

(includes shared jackpots)

2008 was a leap year. So in 366 days jackpots were paid out 146 times or every 2.506 days

82.19% of the jackpot winners were QP

62.32% were player's selections, or PS

365 drawings, 157 jackpots, a hit every 2.32 days.

To date:

157 Jackpots

132 QP   84.07%

87 PS      55.41%

Total jackpot money paid out to date: $33,295,000

Here's the results for 2008, 2009, and combined:

Two years combined

731 drawings

303 Jackpots

252 QP  83.16%

178 PS   58.74%

So it looks like the QP players were luckier.

Now, you said;

" If I choose to play birthdays, ages, favorite numbers etc and they all hit......that is definitely luck.

If I choose to believe I'm gonna win and I play numbers based onpast draws, gut feelings , dreams or any other signs...that's not luck!Remember syncronicity?

Kind of like " if it's your time to win" I'm not gonna wait for it to be my time......I'm gonna make it my time!

I don't know if you believe in the Laws of Attraction but when youput out what you want to the Universe and the doors start to open youstill have to do your part. That's not luck either.

I know people are gonna disagree on this and that's ok."

No, it's still luck. Whatever it's called, synchronicity or anything else, it's still luck when the numbers you played, no matter how arrived at, are the numbers drawn.

The Law of attraction does a lot to sell self-help books, (yeah, I've read it) but when the Law of attraction is used in the attempt to win multi millions of dollars in a lotto, it kind of becomes neutral towards that. The reason is that on any given drawing night millions of people are trying to use the Law of Attraction to win a jackpot - thus asking to shut out everyone else doing the same thing.

Ok Coin Toss if you want to call it luck we can call it luck but......

To me when someone says "it's all about the luck"  it's like they're saying no matter what you do or don't do if you win it's because you got lucky. Or you got lucky because you were at the right  place at the right time. I just don't buy that. Or if it's my time to win. I just don't buy that either. In other words it's like saying you have to sit back and wait to get lucky!

I believe we make our own luck(since we're calling it luck) I'm not gonna sit back and just keep hoping that maybe one day I'll get lucky.

As far as QP's versus PS's I'm not suprised that more QP's win because everyone I know plays QP's. It would be interesting to see the ratio of winners versus tickets sold for each group.

Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2010, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Disagree?

Tiggs is gonna go berserk! lol

It's ok rdgrnr Tiggs will live. HAHA now that he knows we're postal family he can't turn on me now LOL!

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2010, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Ca-Dreamin*!!!  You are speaking my language, Pleased to meet you Ca-Dreamin*, very Pleased in deed!!!Group HugI Agree!Thumbs Up

Girl I've been doing so much reading about positive/negative energy, intuition, signs from the universe etc. etc. I feel like a big sponge......I just can't absorb enough information. LOL I start reading one book and then before I've even finished it I've started another not to mention I've found other books that I want. But it's all good!

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Girl I've been doing so much reading about positive/negative energy, intuition, signs from the universe etc. etc. I feel like a big sponge......I just can't absorb enough information. LOL I start reading one book and then before I've even finished it I've started another not to mention I've found other books that I want. But it's all good!

wow!! I am Impressed by you ca-dreamin*.  To think I tought I was among a small few that felt that way, "Luck" is not something I depend on... for anything! 

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

LUCK is the only answer..You can not and will not ever handicap ping pong balls..LUCK<<<----dig???....jrosina you best start believeing in LUCk or give me some winning numbers if your so sure it's not LUCK..If everyone said they win with skill why ain't all these skilled people rich from the lottery?..Because of LUCK..Simple..

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2010, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I can't take this I'm going beddy bye..Good night and good LUCK..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2010, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

LUCK is the only answer..You can not and will not ever handicap ping pong balls..LUCK<<<----dig???....jrosina you best start believeing in LUCk or give me some winning numbers if your so sure it's not LUCK..If everyone said they win with skill why ain't all these skilled people rich from the lottery?..Because of LUCK..Simple..

Uh Oh, sounds like the honeymoon's over!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2010, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

I can't take this I'm going beddy bye..Good night and good LUCK..

This could be serious business!

Rosie, you need to watch Apocalypse Now with Marlon Brando right away! I think tiggs thinks you're Col. Kurtz and your methods have become unsound!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Page 7 of 10