Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lucky and unlucky Scratch-off ticket numbers

Topic closed. 561 replies. Last post 6 years ago by MattfromPA.

Page 25 of 38
PrintE-mailLink
SE PA
United States
Member #93582
July 3, 2010
1872 Posts
Posted: November 24, 2010, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

I got a Cash Fever, and to my surprise, #24 won $100. I thought the number would lose. On the other hand, no surprises on Winner Green. I keep getting #58 and #59 on WG, and they never win.

SE PA
    United States
    Member #93582
    July 3, 2010
    1872 Posts
    Posted: November 25, 2010, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Even though I won $105 total yesterday (#42 Snow Globe Cash also won for $5), I only spent $35 today. Got $50 back, so 2 straight days of profit.

Bought #144-149 Jingle Bell Doubler - #145 won for $10; the rest lost.

Got #32 and #33 Winner Green - finally got another decent one as #33 won $40.

#40 Frosty M&W lost.

Got all holiday games for the Thanksgiving holiday.

SE PA
      United States
      Member #93582
      July 3, 2010
      1872 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2010, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Winner Green #50 won for $20 - that's right before that stretch of losers from #51-55 I got when they first came out. I guess look for around #50 and #56/57 at this time.

United States
        Member #97729
        September 22, 2010
        321 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2010, 2:29 am - IP Logged

And in GA news, I am playing my favorite scratch-off of late, Holiday Gifts. I will say it again in case I haven't already: the overall odds are 1:3.99, with 3 of 5 $250,000 top prizes still out there. Yesterday I won, $20, and today, $40 on that ticket. Usually it is either $15 or $20 when you win, but it has been as low as $10. Now here comes the strange part: there does not seem to be any winners of a free ticket, at least not in the 28 tickets which I have purchased. And here is another surprising/not so surprising comparison.

Retailer A: 9 identical tickets purchased on 6 different days, 2 of those winners, for a total net loss of $20. I win in 1:4.5 times there. I won $10, and $15, and have spent $45. On average, I lose $2.22 every time I buy a ticket there.

Retailer B: 12 identical tickets purchased on 7 different days, 5 of those winners, for total net profit of $45. I win in 1:2.4 times there. I won $10, $15, $20, $20, $40, and have spent $45. On average, I earn $3.75 on every ticket I purchase there.

Retailer C: 2 identical tickets purchased on 2 different days, 0 of those winners, for a total net loss of $10. I have not won there. I have spent $10.

Retailer D: 1 tickets purchased, 0 winners, for a total net loss of $5.

Retailer E: 1 tickets purchased, and it was a winner, for a total net profit of $15.

IMO Retailers C, D, and E are typical results, and I have not consistently purchased enough tickets at those retailers for a statistical data set. I may or may not purchase tickets at those outlets again. I am thinking that something is definitely going on at retailer A, and will not likely purchase any more of that particular ticket there again; I might stop buying tickets there altogether.

Either the clerks have figured things out and are getting the good tickets, or customers just scratch until they win there the majority of the time. The other option is that the lottery shipped out a lot more winning tickets to retailer B, but that seems odd, as retailer A is by far the busiest lottery retailer around here. Ticket number does not seem to make a giant difference, but odd tickets have won a little more than even, but the even number had the highest payout.

I have been playing that game since October 21.

Between October 21 and October 27, I bought 8 tickets at 3 different stores. I won 4 out of 7 times. I made a net profit of $15.

Between October 28 and November 5, I bought 7 tickets at 3 different stores. I did not win even once. I wasted $35.

I did not play October 6-9.

Between October 10 and October 26, I bought 14 tickets at 5 different stores. I won on 5 of those tickets, for a net profit of $40.

United States
          Member #97729
          September 22, 2010
          321 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2010, 2:34 am - IP Logged

And as to what started this thread, the ticket numbers, sorted by winning, then by ticket number:

010 $0
          016 $0
          025 $0
          026 $0
          028 $0
          029 $0
          033 $0
          034 $0
          036 $0
          045 $0
          047 $0
          050 $0
          051 $0
          051 $0
          053 $0
          053 $0
          054 $0
          058 $0
          059 $0
          030 $10
          034 $10
          025 $15
          027 $15
          057 $15
          029 $20
          035 $20
          056 $20
          052 $40

These are all for Holiday Gifts. Oddly enough, as stated previously, no free tickets. Does anyone believe that the lottery corporation would send out a week of losing tickets, or was I just particularly unlucky? Seems odd to lose for a week straight.

United States
            Member #97729
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2010, 3:40 am - IP Logged

Seems odd to lose for a week straight on a ticket that wins somewhat regularly. I have never purchased more than 3  tickets straight without a winner, on any other days, but then again, I have never purchased more than 4 of those in a row. There doesn't seem like much reason to buy a lot at a time, if you are only going to get your money back.

Would you advise buying more tickets from the roll that had the $40 winner? One line of thinking is that the roll is less likely to have many more prizes, to offset the price of that ticket, which won 8 times its value, or that the next winner might only be $10, and it might be 10 tickets away. On the other hand, maybe that is the sign of things to come. Maybe this roll has a $250,000 winner in it. On even another hand there is the idea that the store with all of the losers is storing up for the big win. Anyone have enough experience to make a judgement call, given the limited facts of the situation? The store which I have won the most at actually has 3 or 4 books of this ticket out right now.

Does a sudden jump in payout, double what is normal, signal anything? I mean, it has been that you usually win $15-20, if you win this game. Is the game about to fizzle out, or is it about to start putting out even bigger amounts? I am wondering if due to the fact that it is a stocking stuffer, and that it has TO: and FROM: on the label, that they are expecting folks to givethem as gifts. That would explain the absence of free tickets, which could turn a lot of people off. Think about it, if you just get a free ticket, you might be like oh well, I am just getting a free ticket, and that they did not win a thing. No big deal. See the lottery is not worth playing, all you get is a free ticket.

On the other hand, however, if someone wins anywhere from 2-8 times the face value, with the average being 3-4 times the amount that was paid for the ticket, then that might convince more folks to start playing. If they lose, but are told by the giver that they win on that ticket all the time, then they might go and buy some more. I wonder if the prizes will sharply drop off after Christmas.

As a side note, better odds does not always mean better payouts. I have been playing another $5 game with the best odds for any $5 ticket in GA, Giant Jumbo Bucks. It has overall odds of 1:3.27, which is better than some $10 tickets. I have been winning a fair amount, but have come to a shocking revelation. I won $20 once, but the other 5 times that I won, I only won $5 or a free ticket (the same thing)! I guess this game has played itself out.

SE PA
              United States
              Member #93582
              July 3, 2010
              1872 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2010, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Seems odd to lose for a week straight on a ticket that wins somewhat regularly. I have never purchased more than 3  tickets straight without a winner, on any other days, but then again, I have never purchased more than 4 of those in a row. There doesn't seem like much reason to buy a lot at a time, if you are only going to get your money back.

Would you advise buying more tickets from the roll that had the $40 winner? One line of thinking is that the roll is less likely to have many more prizes, to offset the price of that ticket, which won 8 times its value, or that the next winner might only be $10, and it might be 10 tickets away. On the other hand, maybe that is the sign of things to come. Maybe this roll has a $250,000 winner in it. On even another hand there is the idea that the store with all of the losers is storing up for the big win. Anyone have enough experience to make a judgement call, given the limited facts of the situation? The store which I have won the most at actually has 3 or 4 books of this ticket out right now.

Does a sudden jump in payout, double what is normal, signal anything? I mean, it has been that you usually win $15-20, if you win this game. Is the game about to fizzle out, or is it about to start putting out even bigger amounts? I am wondering if due to the fact that it is a stocking stuffer, and that it has TO: and FROM: on the label, that they are expecting folks to givethem as gifts. That would explain the absence of free tickets, which could turn a lot of people off. Think about it, if you just get a free ticket, you might be like oh well, I am just getting a free ticket, and that they did not win a thing. No big deal. See the lottery is not worth playing, all you get is a free ticket.

On the other hand, however, if someone wins anywhere from 2-8 times the face value, with the average being 3-4 times the amount that was paid for the ticket, then that might convince more folks to start playing. If they lose, but are told by the giver that they win on that ticket all the time, then they might go and buy some more. I wonder if the prizes will sharply drop off after Christmas.

As a side note, better odds does not always mean better payouts. I have been playing another $5 game with the best odds for any $5 ticket in GA, Giant Jumbo Bucks. It has overall odds of 1:3.27, which is better than some $10 tickets. I have been winning a fair amount, but have come to a shocking revelation. I won $20 once, but the other 5 times that I won, I only won $5 or a free ticket (the same thing)! I guess this game has played itself out.

I've found lately that sometimes getting one of each pays off. I got two Money Money Money $10 tickets today - #24 and #25 - and #24 won $15. I didn't need to get the second one. Pretty much broke even again when I could have been ahead.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #77815
                August 1, 2009
                3460 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2010, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I won $1000 today on the Monopoly $3 million ticket and the ticket number was 037.

United States
                  Member #97729
                  September 22, 2010
                  321 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2010, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Yeah Matt, I hate that. That is why I usually buy only 1 or 2 of each, and take them home. If I lose and feel like there should be a winner nearby, I will go back.

Good job WinQuick! Now I will take my cut. I will only charge you 25% because I like you. Now send over the money.

I played Holiday Gifts, among other games today. I felt lucky, and bought a ticket at store "B" and won $20 on # 034. I have won on that number playing  this same game before. I am now at 6 out of 13 winners for this store. I am winning currently at the ratio of 1:2.16 every time I play at this store, and I am going to head up there soon. Subtracting the cost of the tickets, I am ahead by $60 in this game at this store.

I also played in a different part of town, at a store I have never been to before. I bought $10 Jumbo Jumbo Bucks #005, $5 Holiday Gifts #046, and $1 Season's Greetings #283. I lost on all three, so I have lost $2 for the day, up to this point. I am about to find out if I can turn my $2 loss for the day into a substantial win. I asked the cashier if they had any big winners there, and he stated that there had been a $400,000 win on a scratch-off there on a game that had ended. That is a lot better than the $500 and $5,000 winners at other stations.

United States
                    Member #97729
                    September 22, 2010
                    321 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2010, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I finally won my first free ticket in Holiday Games, #028. I was beginning to think they were not out there. I also won $25 on  #059, which is technically the last ticket on the roll, but this station starts at the end of the roll. My current stats at station "B" are 8 out 17 tickets I have played were winners. Still about twice the expected odds. I am $70 ahead there.

SE PA
                      United States
                      Member #93582
                      July 3, 2010
                      1872 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2010, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Good job, CarHauler! It's great when you find a lucky store.

I meant to post the following post here instead of the other thread. Sorry about that:

I sure am lucky I got that $100 on Cash Fever - the game stinks right now. It was proven by looking at all the losers in the waste basket - #15-23 all lost. 3.24 odds X 2.5 = 8.1, so they are doing the supposed maximum of 9 losers. Then #25 and #26 lost. Not good.

Anyway, first losing night in a while. #38 BWS won $10. Took a chance on Frosty M&W #95-97 - all losers. Frosty M&W is already a bad game, and the 90s seem to be a dead zone on $3 tickets. Winner Green #35 and Jingle Bell Doubler #74 were losers.

I think the Lottery in PA is pretty loserish. But for some reason, I still try up to what I can.

United States
                        Member #97729
                        September 22, 2010
                        321 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2010, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

It only seems lucky for Holiday Gifts, but I got my second free ticket there, so I am hoping that this does not become the norm.  I am 9 for 19 with this game at this store. I am watching not only the ticket number, but each pack individually. I wonder if someone else has figured out Jingle Jumbo Bucks, and that is why I am not winning. When I study the tickets, sometimes the cashier will ask what I am looking for, and I tell him the ticket number. He says it doesn't matter! What a crock!

For those Georgians who might not have seen my other post, I have found a website that details all of the odds for scratch-offs, not just the top prize. It is http://www.lottohideout.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page . He has done an excellent job, and compares the odds of winning a certain dollar amount with each ticket. My example is that $5 Giant Jumbo Bucks odds of winning $100 are 1:1,000, while the odds of winning the same amount in $5 20X The money is 1 in 275. Here is where it gets confusing though: Giant Jumbo Bucks has overall odds of 1 in 3.27, whereas 20X The Money has overall odds of 1 in 4.05, so it seems that you sometimes pay more for the odds.

About the odds 3.24 odds X 2.5 = 8.1, I am not sure that I know what you mean. Why multiply the odds by 2.5? Are you saying that the odds are before and after and including the ticket? Would the odds be 2x the overall odds + 1 ticket? I.E. odds of 2.56 to 1 would mean that if you purchased 6 tickets that you might only win once, not twice, or that you could purchase 5 without winning?

SE PA
                          United States
                          Member #93582
                          July 3, 2010
                          1872 Posts
                          Posted: November 29, 2010, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

It only seems lucky for Holiday Gifts, but I got my second free ticket there, so I am hoping that this does not become the norm.  I am 9 for 19 with this game at this store. I am watching not only the ticket number, but each pack individually. I wonder if someone else has figured out Jingle Jumbo Bucks, and that is why I am not winning. When I study the tickets, sometimes the cashier will ask what I am looking for, and I tell him the ticket number. He says it doesn't matter! What a crock!

For those Georgians who might not have seen my other post, I have found a website that details all of the odds for scratch-offs, not just the top prize. It is http://www.lottohideout.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page . He has done an excellent job, and compares the odds of winning a certain dollar amount with each ticket. My example is that $5 Giant Jumbo Bucks odds of winning $100 are 1:1,000, while the odds of winning the same amount in $5 20X The money is 1 in 275. Here is where it gets confusing though: Giant Jumbo Bucks has overall odds of 1 in 3.27, whereas 20X The Money has overall odds of 1 in 4.05, so it seems that you sometimes pay more for the odds.

About the odds 3.24 odds X 2.5 = 8.1, I am not sure that I know what you mean. Why multiply the odds by 2.5? Are you saying that the odds are before and after and including the ticket? Would the odds be 2x the overall odds + 1 ticket? I.E. odds of 2.56 to 1 would mean that if you purchased 6 tickets that you might only win once, not twice, or that you could purchase 5 without winning?

In PA, they supposedly have a rule saying they can't put more losing tickets in a row than 2.5x the game's odds. Odds of winning on Cash Fever are 1:3.24, so you would multiply 3.24 x 2.5. That equals 8.1. Fractions go up to the highest number. So PA can put 9 Cash Fever losers in a row before there is a winner.

Hope you solve the mystery of Jingle Jumbo Bucks!

United States
                            Member #97729
                            September 22, 2010
                            321 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2010, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I bought another Jingle Jumbo Bucks, and of course it lost. So now it is like 1:6 odds for me.

SE PA
                              United States
                              Member #93582
                              July 3, 2010
                              1872 Posts
                              Posted: November 30, 2010, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Feel the same about Cash Fever here, CarHauler. They didn't use to have such loser areas, even after a $100 win. That might be the game getting worse near the end, though. JJB is a new game.

Page 25 of 38