Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lucky and unlucky Scratch-off ticket numbers

Topic closed. 561 replies. Last post 6 years ago by MattfromPA.

Page 30 of 38
PrintE-mailLink
SE PA
United States
Member #93582
July 3, 2010
1873 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2010, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

I just looked at the PA lottery page, and it looks like you are playing the newer games, I was going to recommend that, but you are already doing that. I have two main strategies: just buy only one of each ticket, and hope for a winner. I noticed that you buy 2 or 3 alot, and I do too, but if I lose three in a row, and I have the money, I will keep on buying until I win. Sometimes it works, like yesterday, but not always. I believe that there is a sizable winner in most every pack, but not all of them. When I read about the TNLoser, I wonder if there was a big winner right before he bought all of the losers. I am to the point that I only purchase $10 tickets one at a time, and scratch them off until I win, which is usually within 2 tickets, but not always. It is hard to say when to keep going, and when to just give up. I am reconsidering the fact that having a bunch of losers, followed by a ticket is a bad thing. It might signal a big win, just around the corner.

After going over my Jingle Jumbo Bucks purchases, I was able to closely examine the books and winners and loser. Too many times I had purchased two, and gone home to scratch them, and accepted $20 as a loss. I will only do this with single tickets from now on. It looks like in many cases, had I purchases another ticket, I would have won. I have won $100 and $50 on this game, but I have also won a lot of $10, $15, $20 and $25 winners. Unless you get a bigger winner, it is almost like it is a waste of your time. The trick is to find out where the winning tickets are, and that is very difficult.

I am tempted to save the $265 in winnings that I have, and add $35 to it and buy a book of tickets, just to see how an entire book performs. I doubt that I would win much more than 2/3 of my money back, if even that. The only hope would be a $500 winner, or a bunch of smaller winners that added up. In GA, we are lucky I think, in that all of our ticket books cost $300, no matter how many tickets are in it.

That does allow me to follow trends more easily. I know that 029 wins more times than it loses, but it usually wins $15 on average, so if you buy two tickets, you lose $5. On the other hand, I won my Jingle Bell $100 on 029, so you never know. My overall impression is that the numbers that have the least number of winners has the highest payouts, if that makes any sense. That strategy keeps people who play a lot from winning a disproportionate amount, even though they sometimes do. While I might be avoiding a certain number because it never wins, the inexperienced person might buy it not knowing any better, and they might end up with a big winner. Not that it always happens that way, just a thought.

One problem is that I just don't have the money to keep going and also try a $10 or even a $20 for a bigger prize. I like the $10s because you can win more at better odds supposedly. I will have a lot of cash to work with - around $100 - for Wednesday. This is a one day thing. Any suggestions on how to spend that $100? Obviously I should start out with a lot of $2s so I win something, but the way the over $2 tickets have been, I'm really debating how to spend the rest. The end of the rolls have just been deadly for winning.

United States
    Member #97729
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: December 13, 2010, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I know that you haven't done very well on Winner Green, but it looks like it should be the closest thing you have to our Jingle Jumbo Bucks. They are both $10 tickets. We have top prizes of $750,000 instead of $250,000. Yours has 10 top prizes, while ours only has 5. You odds are 1 in 3.41, while ours are 1 in 2.74. We have 6 "serial numbers", and 20 "your numbers". Yours has 15 "your numbers", and I don't know how many "serial numbers". The jingle bell symbol is embedded in the play area of our game instead of in a separate area, and I do not know if that is good or bad. I bet in reality it probably makes no difference.

Your Snow Globe is the closest thing to our Holiday Gifts. Your overall odds on it are 1 in 4.21 vs. our 1 in 3.99. Yours has a top prize of $100,000 and has 12 top prizes; ours has a top prize of $250,000, and we only have five. On ours you can win the prize, 5x the prize, or all 15 prizes by winning a certain symbol. On yours you can win the amount, double the amount, or 10x the amount.

My overall impression is that our lottery pays out bigger top prizes, but fewer of them. More folks have a chance to win in your state, but a smaller amount. I used to believe that you should play games based solely on their overall odds, and while this is not bad advice, on older games it can mean that most of the larger prizes have been paid out, and the more recent tickets have less prize money left. I also believe that worse odds may mean fewer, but larger prizes, however I have very little to back this up. It actually makes little sense, because the $20 games have the best odds as a whole, while the $1 games have the worst. Maybe the relationship is true between games of the same dollar amount. I would have to say that overall, I am glad that I play in Georgia, but I think Florida's is better overall; it has more games and more ways to win. I will still continue to buy tickets with very good overall odds.

United States
      Member #97729
      September 22, 2010
      321 Posts
      Posted: December 13, 2010, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

One problem is that I just don't have the money to keep going and also try a $10 or even a $20 for a bigger prize. I like the $10s because you can win more at better odds supposedly. I will have a lot of cash to work with - around $100 - for Wednesday. This is a one day thing. Any suggestions on how to spend that $100? Obviously I should start out with a lot of $2s so I win something, but the way the over $2 tickets have been, I'm really debating how to spend the rest. The end of the rolls have just been deadly for winning.

I never, ever start by buying a bunch of $1 or $2 tickets. It is extremely unlikely that you will have another $100 winner on that. I start big, and work my way down, but whatever seems to be working for you is what I would do. If you keep track of the books, or at least the tickets position in the machine, you can help yourself quite a bit. I still think that there are winners at or near the end of the roll, but sometimes at the beginning. Usually there will be a smaller winner near the middle of the roll. Those are the points I like to play when possible.

If I had $100 to spend you can bet that I would buy 10 $10 tickets  or 20 $5 tickets, over 100 $1 tickets. I would in all reality spend about $60 on $5 games and $40 on $10 games. I would do that nearly 100% of the time. One thing that I will do at machines sometimes is buy a $10, $5, $3, and $2 ticket, but I ONLY buy tickets which are less than $5 if they are brand new, and by that I mean within a month of them coming out, two at the most. Luckily here in GA, it seems that we get at least 2 new games a month, maybe 2 every 2 weeks. I only buy Jack-O-Lantern Cash once every 2 weeks at most, but probably less often than then. I never ever buy more than 2, rarely more than 1.

SE PA
        United States
        Member #93582
        July 3, 2010
        1873 Posts
        Posted: December 13, 2010, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, CarHauler. I'll keep that strategy in mind. Should I start as a normal day and then spend the rest if I like the range of numbers? I've noticed that the end of the roll is very hard to predict in PA. On Snow Globe Cash, I won on #54 before, but now haven't won on any ticket between #50 and #56. On Money Money Money, either #56 or #57 used to win, but have not had any win lately from #55-59. Odd, isn't it?

United States
          Member #97729
          September 22, 2010
          321 Posts
          Posted: December 13, 2010, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Well I definitely have you beat for the day. I bought 7 Jingle Jumbo Bucks in a row, 017 to 011, all with no winners. 010 and 009 won $15 each. Ouch/and or oops. But maybe the two small winners in a row are a sign like the two free tickets I got the other day with Holiday Gifts. Holiday Gifts 016 lost, as did Kings & Queens 041 and 040. The station was closing, so I left. So I feel your pain. So far, I have lost $75 for the day, and I haven't even scratched any from the other store.

I cannot decide whether or not to buy any more of the Jingle Jumbo Bucks or not from that roll. I may lose even more money, or I may win some of it back. At this point, I need to get a $100 winner to do much good. I think I have gone temporarily insane. There should be a sizable winner with all of those losses, but I do not know if it has already happened near the beginning of the roll. I think I will go back when it opens. As far into it as I am, I hate to give up. I did notice a lot of the big winners on the wall were between 008 and 003, but those were other games. I have never been this far into a game without a good win. I did have to buy 11 before I got the $75 winner, so maybe I am close. I am an idiot. I just exactly neutralized the winnings I had there yesterday.

I have learned two valuable lessons tonight. First, go home or to the bank and put away your money after cashing in the winners. Secondly, I will not ever buy more than three of those in the middle of the pack. I will only buy big near the beginning or end of the roll.

United States
            Member #97729
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2010, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Oh boy, I won $25 back from the end of the roll of Giant Jumbo Bucks. That means that I only lost $15 of the $40 that I spent at the other store. 002 lost, 001 won $10, and 000 won $15. I have spent $145, and lost 90 of that. I think I will leave my money at home, and go spend my tickets.

United States
              Member #97729
              September 22, 2010
              321 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2010, 1:51 am - IP Logged

OK the next trip to the store returns me $30 out of the $30 I spent there, so that was a waste of time. I did notice there was 3 rolls of a $20 game, Maximum Green.

United States
                Member #97729
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2010, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

OK the next trip to the store returns me $30 out of the $30 I spent there, so that was a waste of time. I did notice there was 3 rolls of a $20 game, Maximum Green.

All three rolls of Maximum Green were on ticket 004. My guess is that all of the rolls hit on something, and people quit playing. Either that or it is a coincidence. I studied the big winners in a station that has them displayed, and they seemed to come in the same place in the rolls, especially on the same games. Now I just have to figure out how often these $20 games hit for $500, or at least $250. I am not to keen on dropping $20 bills in search of a $100 or $50 prize, unless those are nearly guaranteed, but from what I have read on here, they are not.

United States
                  Member #97729
                  September 22, 2010
                  321 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2010, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, CarHauler. I'll keep that strategy in mind. Should I start as a normal day and then spend the rest if I like the range of numbers? I've noticed that the end of the roll is very hard to predict in PA. On Snow Globe Cash, I won on #54 before, but now haven't won on any ticket between #50 and #56. On Money Money Money, either #56 or #57 used to win, but have not had any win lately from #55-59. Odd, isn't it?

I don't know if it is just that you are luckier than me on $2 tickets, or you buy them more than me, or that they are better in PA than they are here. I uses to buy a lot of them, but I never had any great luck. I think the largest win I ever had on a $2 ticket was $15, so that just seemed like a waste to me, and the fact that when I did win, it was more like $4 or $5, or a free ticket, hardly worth the effort in my case. If you are doing good with them, then run with it, but be very careful to record every ticket purchase, if not the numbers and amounts, at least write down every ticket that you buy. It makes no sense to spend $12 to make $10. I know, I am a fine one to talk; I just spent $120 to make $130. I still made a profit, but barely.

United States
                    Member #97729
                    September 22, 2010
                    321 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2010, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

If you are going to spend $100, you might try my power buying strategy, but I would only buy $5 tickets, and read the rolls. If you get a $20 winner, then 3 or 4 losers, then a $10 or $15 winner, then I would say you are not near a big prize. If you are going to buy more than one of each ticket, it may be worthwhile to buy them until you hit the overall odds, but then you are stuck with whether to give up, or keep trying. I think you are more likely to find a bigger prize in the bigger tickets, but you take more of a risk.

I have done just the opposite of what a lot of folks, including myself, have done in the past. I used to buy 6 losers in a row and say oh well and give up, thinking that this roll must be a dud. Now I am more likely to believe that in such a scenario, a big winner might just be in there. I really do believe that the lottery will put roughly the same amount of winnings in each roll. Not the exact same amount, but close to it, and of course there are exceptions. Whether that means $15 winners every three tickets, or 7 losing tickets, two free tickets, then a $100 winner, with the rest of the roll small amounts. That may be the secret: determining whether the roll has a bunch of average sized winners, or it goes a long time without paying, and the winners are all small. You must be the judge.

If I hadn't spent so much money on two books of tickets, I may have never made this correlation. If you get a big winner, use the money to experiment. If I ever win at least $1,000 I will definitely buy a whole $300 book of tickets. I know I have said this before, but I do not expect to get all of my money back, if I do great, if not oh well. But at least I will learn the pattern of that ticket. It may verify what I already think I know, or t may debunk some of my myths. I am willing to bet that a sizeable portion of the top prize winners buy many books of tickets. Sure some of them are lucky, and just bought one ticket, but I think the majority of big winners are power players. They may say they bought one or two tickets, but I don't believe it for one second. They are just like us, but spend $500, when we would spend $50. Do I have any proof of this? Nope, this is just my guess.

I like Holiday Gifts because I have done pretty well overall on it. I won the $150 out of the machine, and I had just purchased two tickets. As you already know, the first hit for $10, and the next for $150. Now I wonder if some poor soul didn't just spend $50 on that game, didn't win a thing, or won a free ticket, and they just gave up. Sometimes it makes sense to keep buying, other times it doesn't. It just depends on each unique situation. Let’s say for example that I had bought 4 tickets each from the 3 rolls of Jumbo Jingle Bucks, instead of keeping on playing the same book. I might have hit $100 much sooner in another roll, or I might have spent all of my money and walked away with nothing. That is where keeping records of each book come into play.

I am sorry that you have been having such bad luck. Keep in minds that it will get better, but you might be fighting against someone who is keeping records, and you are just buying his duds. He might be winning off of your losses. I am certain that it has happened to me in the past. That would explain all of my initial losses at Jingle Jumbo Bucks, and it may explain your losses. I really hate to type in all of the information that I do, I really do hate it, but I believe it has helped me win more money than would otherwise be possible. Only crazy people talk to themselves, so that is why there are message boards.

SE PA
                      United States
                      Member #93582
                      July 3, 2010
                      1873 Posts
                      Posted: December 14, 2010, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

If you are going to spend $100, you might try my power buying strategy, but I would only buy $5 tickets, and read the rolls. If you get a $20 winner, then 3 or 4 losers, then a $10 or $15 winner, then I would say you are not near a big prize. If you are going to buy more than one of each ticket, it may be worthwhile to buy them until you hit the overall odds, but then you are stuck with whether to give up, or keep trying. I think you are more likely to find a bigger prize in the bigger tickets, but you take more of a risk.

I have done just the opposite of what a lot of folks, including myself, have done in the past. I used to buy 6 losers in a row and say oh well and give up, thinking that this roll must be a dud. Now I am more likely to believe that in such a scenario, a big winner might just be in there. I really do believe that the lottery will put roughly the same amount of winnings in each roll. Not the exact same amount, but close to it, and of course there are exceptions. Whether that means $15 winners every three tickets, or 7 losing tickets, two free tickets, then a $100 winner, with the rest of the roll small amounts. That may be the secret: determining whether the roll has a bunch of average sized winners, or it goes a long time without paying, and the winners are all small. You must be the judge.

If I hadn't spent so much money on two books of tickets, I may have never made this correlation. If you get a big winner, use the money to experiment. If I ever win at least $1,000 I will definitely buy a whole $300 book of tickets. I know I have said this before, but I do not expect to get all of my money back, if I do great, if not oh well. But at least I will learn the pattern of that ticket. It may verify what I already think I know, or t may debunk some of my myths. I am willing to bet that a sizeable portion of the top prize winners buy many books of tickets. Sure some of them are lucky, and just bought one ticket, but I think the majority of big winners are power players. They may say they bought one or two tickets, but I don't believe it for one second. They are just like us, but spend $500, when we would spend $50. Do I have any proof of this? Nope, this is just my guess.

I like Holiday Gifts because I have done pretty well overall on it. I won the $150 out of the machine, and I had just purchased two tickets. As you already know, the first hit for $10, and the next for $150. Now I wonder if some poor soul didn't just spend $50 on that game, didn't win a thing, or won a free ticket, and they just gave up. Sometimes it makes sense to keep buying, other times it doesn't. It just depends on each unique situation. Let’s say for example that I had bought 4 tickets each from the 3 rolls of Jumbo Jingle Bucks, instead of keeping on playing the same book. I might have hit $100 much sooner in another roll, or I might have spent all of my money and walked away with nothing. That is where keeping records of each book come into play.

I am sorry that you have been having such bad luck. Keep in minds that it will get better, but you might be fighting against someone who is keeping records, and you are just buying his duds. He might be winning off of your losses. I am certain that it has happened to me in the past. That would explain all of my initial losses at Jingle Jumbo Bucks, and it may explain your losses. I really hate to type in all of the information that I do, I really do hate it, but I believe it has helped me win more money than would otherwise be possible. Only crazy people talk to themselves, so that is why there are message boards.

Hi, CarHauler - I have good and bad news.

Good news is that I made up for the last couple days by winning $100 on Winner Green - 2 matches of $50. Number was #25. First $100 I have won on the game. I got three of the new 2nd edition Bingos - #4-6 - and #4 won $5. The rest I think lost. I say think because that brings me to the bad news..

Pennsylvania got rid of scratch off codes starting with 2nd edition Bingo! This leaves more room for clerk-related fraud and missing winners. I know I have mistakenly missed winners before. When I missed one, the code would tell me. Now, you MUST scan or get your ticket scanned to confirm a win. The Lottery says they were getting complaints about people standing there and only scratching the code, but that should be their right! All the money the state gets and they don't care about the lottery players.

SE PA
                        United States
                        Member #93582
                        July 3, 2010
                        1873 Posts
                        Posted: December 15, 2010, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Spent $90 on my big day and got $76 back. Could have been worse since all of that money was from winnings.

Decent Cash Fever win on #28 of $50, and #39 Jingle Bell Doubler won $20. As usual, BWS lost in the high 90s (#99.)  Snow Globe Cash didn't do so well again (#34 and #35 lost.) Tried a Merry Millionaire, #16, and it lost.

United States
                          Member #97729
                          September 22, 2010
                          321 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2010, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

Hi, CarHauler - I have good and bad news.

Good news is that I made up for the last couple days by winning $100 on Winner Green - 2 matches of $50. Number was #25. First $100 I have won on the game. I got three of the new 2nd edition Bingos - #4-6 - and #4 won $5. The rest I think lost. I say think because that brings me to the bad news..

Pennsylvania got rid of scratch off codes starting with 2nd edition Bingo! This leaves more room for clerk-related fraud and missing winners. I know I have mistakenly missed winners before. When I missed one, the code would tell me. Now, you MUST scan or get your ticket scanned to confirm a win. The Lottery says they were getting complaints about people standing there and only scratching the code, but that should be their right! All the money the state gets and they don't care about the lottery players.

I am not sure about our state. The letters on the front, is that what you are talking about? If so we have some, but they are somewhat jumbled. Free ticket is TIC, $5 is FIV, $10 is TEN, $15 is FTN, but after that, there is ambiguity. There are some that are similar, some that are dis-similar, and some that repeat, but I cannot figure out a pattern after $15. I don't know if it varies by game or not. Congratulations on your big win! Does that mean you won $50 on two tickets, and both tickets were number 25? Or did you win 2X $50 on one ticket?

As far as I know, I have spent $250 on the lottery over the last 2-3 days, I am not sure, and all I know is that I have $135 worth of winners out of that, so I think that I have lost $115. I have gotten so far behind, I do not know what I am doing. I have turned in some winners recently, but I cannot remember if I turned in the winners before or after my most recent $100 jingle bell. I just need to get over it and type all of this into my computer, and see if I can put the pieces all together. I actually have piles of tickets, and I am not certain where I got them, or if I have turned in any winners. I am afraid that I am losing it.

By the way, I asked the cashier that was crooked what would happen if you typed in the wrong code on a winning ticket. He supposedly typed it in, and he said that it came back as a valid ticket, but the wrong validation number or something like that. The terminal knew that it was either a winner or a valid ticket, whatever he said, but it did not go through.

SE PA
                            United States
                            Member #93582
                            July 3, 2010
                            1873 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2010, 12:15 am - IP Logged

I am not sure about our state. The letters on the front, is that what you are talking about? If so we have some, but they are somewhat jumbled. Free ticket is TIC, $5 is FIV, $10 is TEN, $15 is FTN, but after that, there is ambiguity. There are some that are similar, some that are dis-similar, and some that repeat, but I cannot figure out a pattern after $15. I don't know if it varies by game or not. Congratulations on your big win! Does that mean you won $50 on two tickets, and both tickets were number 25? Or did you win 2X $50 on one ticket?

As far as I know, I have spent $250 on the lottery over the last 2-3 days, I am not sure, and all I know is that I have $135 worth of winners out of that, so I think that I have lost $115. I have gotten so far behind, I do not know what I am doing. I have turned in some winners recently, but I cannot remember if I turned in the winners before or after my most recent $100 jingle bell. I just need to get over it and type all of this into my computer, and see if I can put the pieces all together. I actually have piles of tickets, and I am not certain where I got them, or if I have turned in any winners. I am afraid that I am losing it.

By the way, I asked the cashier that was crooked what would happen if you typed in the wrong code on a winning ticket. He supposedly typed it in, and he said that it came back as a valid ticket, but the wrong validation number or something like that. The terminal knew that it was either a winner or a valid ticket, whatever he said, but it did not go through.

Hi, CarHauler - I meant that one ticket, #25, had two matches of $50, equaling $100 total. Yes, I'm talking about the letter codes. The old games will still have them, but any game issued from 2nd edition Bingo on will not have them. I'm going to scan my own tickets more as a result.

My advice to you would be to slow down a bit - just play about $20 or $30 a day for a while and see where it gets you. I know the position you are in.

Yes, that was totally unethical of the cashier because the Lottery is supposed to be sold IN ORDER - he got an unfair advantage.

SE PA
                              United States
                              Member #93582
                              July 3, 2010
                              1873 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2010, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Not a good day today, but that happens. Bought Snow Globe Cash #000-006, all losers. Then I buy #008-011, and 3 out of 4 won, but for $20 total (2 $5 winners and a $10 winner.) I thought a big one might be coming due to the pattern CarHauler has noticed.

Cash Fever #007 also lost. That number is as bad or worse than #022.

Page 30 of 38