Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lucky and unlucky Scratch-off ticket numbers

Topic closed. 561 replies. Last post 6 years ago by MattfromPA.

Page 32 of 38
PrintE-mailLink
SE PA
United States
Member #93582
July 3, 2010
1874 Posts
Posted: December 21, 2010, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

I really wouldn't be cynical, but I understand. I used to be too, until I realized that long strings happen in every game, and that it almost certainly means that there is a good chance that a big winner accompanied it, either before or after. I have played Maximum Green a total of 5 times now, and of that, two were losers, one won $100, and two won $25, for a total of $150. If I keep up with numbers like that, I will be very happy. The losses do add up quickly. I have no intentions of going out and buying 5 of these at a time. I won't play such an expensive game that way. Thankfully, I learned my lesson on a $10 game, and I learned it quickly. I am just sad that I had to lose so much money. You live and you learn.

You will happy to know that as of today, I am calling it quits for Holiday Gifts. Too many days of spending $40, and having a free ticket to show for it. Shame on me for keeping the false hope up for so long. I will most likely be replacing it with Maximum Green. Yes, you heard me right; I am replacing my $5 game with a $20 game. The lottery did it to itself. They tantalize you with frequent wins, and you just can't seem to go wrong with the game. It pays out every 3 tickets, and it is either $15 or $20, so it is a break even game, and I had lots of fun playing it. There are no winners of a free ticket, only winners and losers. They get you hooked.

Then bam, like a hammer, like a light switch, they cut it off. It is like they literally closed the flood gates. I have thought it was dying for a while, but I am certain of it now. Holiday Gifts is 100% dead. I am sad to report that I have purchased my last ticket. I cannot and will not continue purchasing strings of three tickets to lose, or get a free ticket. All of the success I had on it was at the beginning, when I had the odds of 1 in almost every 2-3 tickets being a winner. Now to compensate for all of the winners, they have to put out tons of losers, and hope that they can sell them before people get wise and quit buying them. I think they messed up royally, just in time for Christmas.

As I have said before, I think the game was designed as a stocking stuffer, and when it first came out, it would have made a really good one. Almost any family of four would have had a near 100% chance of one of those being a winner in the beginning, which is what I think they intended. Everyone would wake up on Christmas morning, and find a Holiday Gifts ticket in their stocking, and almost certainly someone in that family would have won $15 or $20, so that would get new business.

After all, if someone won even once out of the family, then there must be a lot more winners, that is what people might think. After seeing those winners, they would go out and buy more.  But they really messed up big-time. They did not realize what a hit the game was going to be, so they ran out of winners way too soon. They did not want families to find any free tickets in their stockings. Free tickets just soften the blow to us, and anger us many times. Free tickets are not what anyone wants to find in their stockings. That only brings resentment, anger, and mistrust for the lottery. They did not intend on most families having no winners, but that is exactly what is going to happen.

In my opinion, only 1 out of every 2 families will have a winner now, and of those, 95% will be free tickets. They simply made the winners fizzle out too soon. I don't think that they will be prepared for the backlash that this is going to cause. I can tell you after spending about $150 on this game over the course of the last 4 days, and only having one $15 winner, a $10 winner, and maybe 3 free tickets, that people are going to be mad, and are going to develop a very, very bad taste for the lottery. I don't think they intended this game to do so poorly until after the new year. Maybe they are counting on people being stupid enough to think that they can still win and that they will buy some for stocking stuffers anyway. Not me, and not at my house.

See, to make up for all of the frequent, good sized winners in the beginning, they have to put out a sizeable number of losers. The overall odds are 1 in 3.99, so if the odds had been paying out at 1 in 2.5, then guess what? Now they will pay out at 1 in 5.5 to compensate. And what about those nice $15 and $20 constant winners? Sorry, those days have long since past. Now not only will you only win 1 out of 5.5 times, it will be a free ticket. And what about those $75 and $150 winners I had this month on Holiday Gifts? Those were on ticket printings prior to 200,000. If you can find a book with a lower serial number than that, and it still has a bunch of tickets on it, then it definitely may be worth pursuing, but buddy, let me tell you, the lottery is quickly making its money back on this game.

There was a time not too long ago where I was ahead by $150 in this game, and that was just after the big winner. I should have quit then, but I just had to keep searching. I haven't tallied it up yet, but my guess is that I am around $0 in overall profit for this game. I will count all of the tickets, but I am assuming that I will end up having played about 150 times for this game, so that is around $750 that I have spent on it. That does not make me all knowing, but it puts me in a position to know what I am talking about. I strongly suggest that no one else buy any more of these tickets. Let the Georgia Lottery eat the cost. I hope these tickets go stale on the shelves, and people refuse to buy them. That would be the smart thing to do.

RIP Holiday Gifts. I purchased my last ticket today at Racetrack on Canton Road. The last ticket which I purchased was 842-219589-025. It lost. Out of the seven tickets and $35 I spent today, I won a free ticket. I won the free ticket on ticket number842-210229-004, and I purchased it on QT on Sandy Plains Road. This is not an isolated incident, I am sad to report. It has been occurring like this for the past few weeks. 20,000 tickets (after 200,000) is a large enough sample for me make such a judgment. In the days to come, I may issue an after-action report.

I understand.. thing is, I'm pretty sure I saw 9 losers in a row, and they were in the same wastebasket as though someone played a lot of tickets at once. I have lost in those same areas. TNTicketlosers quit after seeing 8 losers in a row on a $20 ticket in his state, so I'm sure you know how I feel. I know they can put up to 9 legally in PA due to their formula, but it's still a lot. I think you are playing smartly right now - good job! Sometimes I'm also a little too slow to call it quits when a game gets worse, because I know what it did before.

United States
    Member #97729
    September 22, 2010
    321 Posts
    Posted: December 21, 2010, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I understand.. thing is, I'm pretty sure I saw 9 losers in a row, and they were in the same wastebasket as though someone played a lot of tickets at once. I have lost in those same areas. TNTicketlosers quit after seeing 8 losers in a row on a $20 ticket in his state, so I'm sure you know how I feel. I know they can put up to 9 legally in PA due to their formula, but it's still a lot. I think you are playing smartly right now - good job! Sometimes I'm also a little too slow to call it quits when a game gets worse, because I know what it did before.

I don't think we have any such formula in GA. Have you actually found that law that outlines the formula? I would be curious if we have such a law on the books. You say you are pretty sure that there was 9 losers in a row, but what none of us knows is if there wasn't a big winner, such as a $500 winner in that pack. I pulled out the actual losers that I found in the trash. It isn't as bad as I remembered, but pretty bad. 004-008 lost, 009 was missing, and 010 lost. I assume 009 was a winner, but I have no idea of how much. You should be able to look at the scratch patterns of each individual ticket, and it will obvious who bought the same tickets.

I have heard from a retailer that our state only guarantees $180 worth of tickets from each $300 pack will be winners. I will need to investigate this further, to determine if this is in fact a policy of GLC, a state law, or an opinion. When I play $20 tickets, I buy one, and then I either lose or I win. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to buy any, I could care less. I always hope that members on here do well, especially those that I know the best.

It was just that when I learned that there was a little better than  3 times the odds of hitting $100 on this $20 ticket, as opposed to hitting it on Jingle Jumbo Bucks. I like the fact that we can enter non-winners into second chance drawings to win $10,000. There are 10 winners selected each month. Also, even though $750,000 would be nice, $5,000,000 would be much nicer. One means not having to work for a while if you plan carefully. The other means that I will never have to work again. And what about the odds? $750,000..1 in 1,560,000 for Jingle Jumbo Bucks.

Now lets check out Maximum Green, shall we? $1,000,000..1 in 840,000, $5,000,000..1 in 3,360,000. So what do we end up with? 50% greater odds that one will win $1,000,000 instead of $750,000. I realize that most of us will never win any of those prizes, but it never hurts to dream big. I am happy to win any amount of money, but I consider $100 to be worth mentioning. I am trying to get into the $500 winners circle or larger.  I have won prizes of at least $100 four times this month, so I am looking for something bigger.

Just keep this one fact in mind. When you see 10 $2 tickets in the trash, then there was probably a $5 to $10 winner. When you see 10 $20 tickets in the trash, there probably was a $250 or $500 winner. In Jingle Jumbo Bucks you stand an equal chance of winning a ticket or $15. With Maximum Green, you actually stand a better chance of hitting $25 than you do a free ticket. You are not making much, but it sure is a better deal to make money rather than break even.

United States
      Member #97729
      September 22, 2010
      321 Posts
      Posted: December 21, 2010, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Hell, I will post all of the odds, side by side. You can then decide what prize you are shooting for, and which tickets offer you those odds for the same amount of money. If I want to win $100, I have to decide if I want the odds to be 1 in 32, 1 in 100, or 1 in 1,000. Kind of makes it obvious, at least to me. I am not shooting for any wins of less than $100, period. 

Maximum GreenJingle Jumbo BucksGiant Jumbo Bucks
      From Lotto HideoutFrom Lotto HideoutFrom Lotto Hideout
      Jump to: navigation, search Jump to: navigation, search Jump to: navigation, search
      $20 tickets $10 tickets $5 tickets
      Overall odds: 1 in 3.03 Overall odds: 1 in 2.74 Overall odds: 1 in 3.27
      TICKET...1 in 11
      $20......1 in 38
      $25......1 in 9
      $40......1 in 25
      $50......1 in 38
      $100.....1 in 32
      $250.....1 in 275
      $500.....1 in 545
      $1,000...1 in 2,000
      $10,000..1 in 30,000
      $50,000..1 in 504,000
      $1,000,000..1 in 840,000
      $5,000,000..1 in 3,360,000
      TICKET...1 in 10
      $10......1 in 30
      $15......1 in 10
      $20......1 in 15
      $25......1 in 40
      $30......1 in 50
      $40......1 in 375
      $50......1 in 150
      $100.....1 in 100
      $250.....1 in 3,750
      $500.....1 in 4,800
      $2,500...1 in 60,000
      $25,000..1 in 520,000
      $750,000..1 in 1,560,000

TICKET.....1 in 10
      $5.........1 in 18
      $7.........1 in 27
      $10........1 in 30
      $15........1 in 30
      $20........1 in 41
      $25........1 in 96
      $30........1 in 143
      $50........1 in 352
      $75........1 in 800
      $100.......1 in 1,000
      $500.......1 in 2,400
      $1,000.....1 in 12,000
      $5,000.....1 in 520,000
      $150,000...1 in 780,000

SE PA
        United States
        Member #93582
        July 3, 2010
        1874 Posts
        Posted: December 21, 2010, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't think we have any such formula in GA. Have you actually found that law that outlines the formula? I would be curious if we have such a law on the books. You say you are pretty sure that there was 9 losers in a row, but what none of us knows is if there wasn't a big winner, such as a $500 winner in that pack. I pulled out the actual losers that I found in the trash. It isn't as bad as I remembered, but pretty bad. 004-008 lost, 009 was missing, and 010 lost. I assume 009 was a winner, but I have no idea of how much. You should be able to look at the scratch patterns of each individual ticket, and it will obvious who bought the same tickets.

I have heard from a retailer that our state only guarantees $180 worth of tickets from each $300 pack will be winners. I will need to investigate this further, to determine if this is in fact a policy of GLC, a state law, or an opinion. When I play $20 tickets, I buy one, and then I either lose or I win. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to buy any, I could care less. I always hope that members on here do well, especially those that I know the best.

It was just that when I learned that there was a little better than  3 times the odds of hitting $100 on this $20 ticket, as opposed to hitting it on Jingle Jumbo Bucks. I like the fact that we can enter non-winners into second chance drawings to win $10,000. There are 10 winners selected each month. Also, even though $750,000 would be nice, $5,000,000 would be much nicer. One means not having to work for a while if you plan carefully. The other means that I will never have to work again. And what about the odds? $750,000..1 in 1,560,000 for Jingle Jumbo Bucks.

Now lets check out Maximum Green, shall we? $1,000,000..1 in 840,000, $5,000,000..1 in 3,360,000. So what do we end up with? 50% greater odds that one will win $1,000,000 instead of $750,000. I realize that most of us will never win any of those prizes, but it never hurts to dream big. I am happy to win any amount of money, but I consider $100 to be worth mentioning. I am trying to get into the $500 winners circle or larger.  I have won prizes of at least $100 four times this month, so I am looking for something bigger.

Just keep this one fact in mind. When you see 10 $2 tickets in the trash, then there was probably a $5 to $10 winner. When you see 10 $20 tickets in the trash, there probably was a $250 or $500 winner. In Jingle Jumbo Bucks you stand an equal chance of winning a ticket or $15. With Maximum Green, you actually stand a better chance of hitting $25 than you do a free ticket. You are not making much, but it sure is a better deal to make money rather than break even.

I don't know if there is an actual law, but it is a rule of theirs. Not sure how bound the PA Lottery is to follow it. They usually tell me if someone won $500 or more at the store, and they did not in the timeframe this happened in. Also, I always lose when I get #15-23 - the same area. Hard to tell for sure, but I do know Cash Fever isn't what it used to be.

I still love those $100s. It took me a year to get over that amount, so it's hard unless you play tons - and even then there is no guarantee. I'm really hoping we both get a big one soon!

SE PA
          United States
          Member #93582
          July 3, 2010
          1874 Posts
          Posted: December 21, 2010, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

BTW, #22 on 2nd Edition Bingo actually won $10. But some BWS tickets at the end of the roll all lost, so I ended up in a deficit for the day. Don't know what it is lately about the end of the roll on $10 tickets.

United States
            Member #97729
            September 22, 2010
            321 Posts
            Posted: December 21, 2010, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if there is an actual law, but it is a rule of theirs. Not sure how bound the PA Lottery is to follow it. They usually tell me if someone won $500 or more at the store, and they did not in the timeframe this happened in. Also, I always lose when I get #15-23 - the same area. Hard to tell for sure, but I do know Cash Fever isn't what it used to be.

I still love those $100s. It took me a year to get over that amount, so it's hard unless you play tons - and even then there is no guarantee. I'm really hoping we both get a big one soon!

Part of it has to do with timing and luck. 2 of the $100 winners were the first ticket in the book (029 and 014). It is for this reason that I will always buy those ticket numbers if available. Will I win 100% of the time? Nope, but if I am only going to buy 1 ticket, then I will be willing to take the chance. I have won tickets of $100 or more 6 times within the three months I have been playing. Much of that has been pure luck, some of it has been buying a bunch of tickets, and some of it is due to record-keeping, and making sound decisions. I still think keeping detailed records has helped me avoid losses if I pay attention to them. It is when I do not pay any attention that I lose money.

As far as Cash Fever not being what it used to be, I understand. I think it is perhaps like Holiday Gifts. They will put out all of the big winners at first to get people hooked. Once they are hooked, then they can put out the losing ones. Just remember what I said. If they put out winners every 3 tickets when it first comes out, tickets which have 1 in 4 odds, then they will be able to put out tickets with 1 in 5 winners to make up for it later. It is for this reason that many people, myself included, love new games. The best I can tell, a new game is only good for a month or two after it comes out, then it goes downhill. At least that is what Holiday Gifts did.

My new playing method will include only purchasing tickets either at the beginning of the roll or very near to the middle. I will usually only buy 1 ticket at a time, and have decided to stop at 2 in almost all cases. Sometimes I might buy three or more, but that will be rare and not that often.

SE PA
              United States
              Member #93582
              July 3, 2010
              1874 Posts
              Posted: December 21, 2010, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Part of it has to do with timing and luck. 2 of the $100 winners were the first ticket in the book (029 and 014). It is for this reason that I will always buy those ticket numbers if available. Will I win 100% of the time? Nope, but if I am only going to buy 1 ticket, then I will be willing to take the chance. I have won tickets of $100 or more 6 times within the three months I have been playing. Much of that has been pure luck, some of it has been buying a bunch of tickets, and some of it is due to record-keeping, and making sound decisions. I still think keeping detailed records has helped me avoid losses if I pay attention to them. It is when I do not pay any attention that I lose money.

As far as Cash Fever not being what it used to be, I understand. I think it is perhaps like Holiday Gifts. They will put out all of the big winners at first to get people hooked. Once they are hooked, then they can put out the losing ones. Just remember what I said. If they put out winners every 3 tickets when it first comes out, tickets which have 1 in 4 odds, then they will be able to put out tickets with 1 in 5 winners to make up for it later. It is for this reason that many people, myself included, love new games. The best I can tell, a new game is only good for a month or two after it comes out, then it goes downhill. At least that is what Holiday Gifts did.

My new playing method will include only purchasing tickets either at the beginning of the roll or very near to the middle. I will usually only buy 1 ticket at a time, and have decided to stop at 2 in almost all cases. Sometimes I might buy three or more, but that will be rare and not that often.

Yeah, on new games, the end of the roll (or beginning if it goes down) can be interesting. Not the case with Winner Green so far, but I remember a while ago I got $100 on #59 Money Money Money. The last ticket on Cash Fever still hits sometimes - though last time it was for $20. Since I play the machines, it's harder to avoid those areas that aren't doing well.

United States
                Member #97729
                September 22, 2010
                321 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2010, 4:34 am - IP Logged

With the machines it is hard if not impossible to keep up. The best you can hope for is to determine how many tickets have been sold for the particular game that you are playing, and then it is only possible if you buy another ticket, and see that it came from the same pack. I have hung around and watched what people bought for short periods of time, but that is a little strange. I feel a little odd when I do that. I need to get a job in a grocery store as a cashier or bag boy.

SE PA
                  United States
                  Member #93582
                  July 3, 2010
                  1874 Posts
                  Posted: December 23, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Spent $50 for a little Christmas feeling, but didn't make any profit. Lost some. But at least not a big loss day:

#15 Winner Green - loss

#27 Money Money Money - loss (had won the past two times, though)

#2 BWS - won $20

#3 BWS - lost

#30 Snow Globe Cash - lost

#31 Snow Globe Cash - won $20

SE PA
                    United States
                    Member #93582
                    July 3, 2010
                    1874 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2010, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Got a $200 Cash Fever winner today! Number was #008. Got a FEVER symbol with $10 under it - first time I've seen that symbol. I will have to scan the ticket and post it in the winning tickets thread. #008 has won 3 times in a row - $40, $20, and now $200.

Profit was only $110 because I got 5 Money Money Money losers in a row (from #44-48.) That area used to be great, but I've found out the hard way that it isn't anymore. Still a good day!

United States
                      Member #97729
                      September 22, 2010
                      321 Posts
                      Posted: December 28, 2010, 3:54 am - IP Logged

Got a $200 Cash Fever winner today! Number was #008. Got a FEVER symbol with $10 under it - first time I've seen that symbol. I will have to scan the ticket and post it in the winning tickets thread. #008 has won 3 times in a row - $40, $20, and now $200.

Profit was only $110 because I got 5 Money Money Money losers in a row (from #44-48.) That area used to be great, but I've found out the hard way that it isn't anymore. Still a good day!

BIG congratulations on that one! You sure do deserve to win after your recent losses. Now practice what you preach, and spread the wealth around! You can PM me, and I will give you my address so that you can send me 1/2 of the $200. On the other hand, you can share in my losses, which are $574 YTD. 1/2 of $574 is $287. Lets share my  losses, along with your win. $287 + $100 = $387. Just send me a check for $387 and we will be even. You might want to round it up to $400. OK, seeing as how you only made $110 in profit, send me $55, no $50, that is close enough. Or you could send me some of your luck. A copy of the ticket will do. A book I am reading suggests that good luck actually wears off. I seem to have lost my good luck, has anyone found it? But seriously, good job!

SE PA
                        United States
                        Member #93582
                        July 3, 2010
                        1874 Posts
                        Posted: December 28, 2010, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Greedy state! The clerk (owner actually) at the beer store said the same thing. Took off the codes and now they had to recall the $1 tickets because the scanner wouldn't read winners. Couldn't get any new games there because of the re-call. I managed to find a new $5 ticket (Hershey's one) somewhere else, but I started off with 4 losers from #51-54. BWS #93 also lost. I have now lost on BWS #92, 93, 94 when there is that break after that. I'll give the new games a chance tomorrow, but the way the games and state has been lately, they are probably the worst games ever.

BTW, CarHauler, I'm only talking lottery and not politics. We just won't agree on politics. You will cite one thing, I would cite another study I found, and our views are too different. On Lottery we have a mutual interest.

United States
                          Member #97729
                          September 22, 2010
                          321 Posts
                          Posted: December 29, 2010, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Greedy state! The clerk (owner actually) at the beer store said the same thing. Took off the codes and now they had to recall the $1 tickets because the scanner wouldn't read winners. Couldn't get any new games there because of the re-call. I managed to find a new $5 ticket (Hershey's one) somewhere else, but I started off with 4 losers from #51-54. BWS #93 also lost. I have now lost on BWS #92, 93, 94 when there is that break after that. I'll give the new games a chance tomorrow, but the way the games and state has been lately, they are probably the worst games ever.

BTW, CarHauler, I'm only talking lottery and not politics. We just won't agree on politics. You will cite one thing, I would cite another study I found, and our views are too different. On Lottery we have a mutual interest.

What is this about taking off the codes? I must have missed something.

Yeah, I know. I still want your money though.

SE PA
                            United States
                            Member #93582
                            July 3, 2010
                            1874 Posts
                            Posted: December 29, 2010, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

What is this about taking off the codes? I must have missed something.

Yeah, I know. I still want your money though.

The codes are the three letter system that told you how much you had won. Like TEN for a ten dollar winner, or QPK for a loser. I'm so disgusted that they did this.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              23247 Posts
                              Posted: December 29, 2010, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

You might, on off days, do better checking the trash can...this is not an insult - I'm totally serious. This is a horrible move by PA lottery to fool players..

once again. Remember the last time? When they switched from winning amounts in parenthesis to the letter codes they so miserably failed to

inform everyone of? Store clerks...SOME of them, had to post a handwritten note on some machines informing players of the change. I just wonder

HOW MANY WINNERS landed right in the trash can. LOWER THAN LOW. The number line stayed the same it's just that anyone looking for a winner

with parenthesis, didn't find anything on the number line to indicate a winner. What's sick about that is, they could have very well HAD a winner

but would have never known, in the early days, to check the play area for LETTER CODES. Dirtier than dirty, lower than low is all I have to say about

it. I tell people I see about the new change....I'll be a righteous sounding horn for the players and tell everyone I see because I sure haven't seen

the PA LOTTERY doing anything about it. Until news of the change sweeps through the playing community, there will be winners in the trash can.

That is wretched. Shame on them.

Page 32 of 38