Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is a lottery system? What distinguishes a lottery system from guesses, dreams and quick picks?

Topic closed. 918 replies. Last post 6 years ago by mayhem.

Page 29 of 62
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1958 Posts
Posted: April 5, 2011, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

What game is that for Jimjwright?

Gonna win.Big Smile

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
    Park City, UT
    United States
    Member #69864
    January 18, 2009
    993 Posts
    Posted: April 5, 2011, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Powerball in drawn order, with white balls ending digits greyscaled from 0 thru 9.

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5906 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2011, 12:13 am - IP Logged

After reading this, I decided to see for myself what would happen with $25/day toward a Cash 5 game using random numbers, and $25/day using my own system picks.

After 3 days:

Random: $75 spent, $12 won

System:  $75 spent, $38 won

I think the advantage system play may have over random play, is in system play there is the tendency to play groups of numbers with similar combinations, so when you hit, you don't just get one hit but several. Of course, 3 days is not enough to be conclusive, so I intend to continue this for a while just to find out for my ownself whether or not I'm wasting my time with system play.

I can tell you right now..no you are not wasting time or money using a SYSTEM..you will have a better chance to win..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
        Denver, Co
        United States
        Member #103046
        December 29, 2010
        546 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2011, 12:24 am - IP Logged

I can tell you right now..no you are not wasting time or money using a SYSTEM..you will have a better chance to win..

I'm sure the SP's will outperform the QP's

United States
          Member #93947
          July 10, 2010
          2180 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2011, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Sorry Jim but I'm having trouble seeing a correspondence between the low order digits of the first 5 numbers and the 5 greyscale patches to their right.  E.G., on my monitor, the first column of greyscale is almost entirely dark black while the low order digits of the first column of numbers span the whole range, as expected.  I'm assuming the grey should get darker as the digits increase from 0 to 9 whereas you may be using another encoding scheme.  What am I missing?

United States
            Member #93947
            July 10, 2010
            2180 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2011, 3:30 am - IP Logged

After reading this, I decided to see for myself what would happen with $25/day toward a Cash 5 game using random numbers, and $25/day using my own system picks.

After 3 days:

Random: $75 spent, $12 won

System:  $75 spent, $38 won

I think the advantage system play may have over random play, is in system play there is the tendency to play groups of numbers with similar combinations, so when you hit, you don't just get one hit but several. Of course, 3 days is not enough to be conclusive, so I intend to continue this for a while just to find out for my ownself whether or not I'm wasting my time with system play.

Ameriken,

I've seen people demand another QP when they get one like the one below.  I buy them later from the clerk when he has some.  Smile  JADELottery's current poll in Lottery Discussion, If you had 10 bucks to bet..., gets at this issue in a subtle way.  You never know how the cookie is going to crumble.  My experience has been, especially watching simulations run, is that over time, "it all comes out in the wash!"

--Jimmy4164

United States
              Member #105312
              January 29, 2011
              435 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2011, 6:46 am - IP Logged

I must agree with your methods, RL.  Drawn numbers mean little and those using 5th grade math along with past draws might produce a win every now and then but the cost will far exceed the gross.

I have said this before, a long time ago.  We must rise above the numbers.  By this I mean we must listen to what the numbers are tellling us and go from there.

Can you imagine two Romans (ancient times, I know) trying to add VII and XIX?  There would be all kinds of people ready to tell them it can't be done.  And they would be right. 

Our current numerial system was not developed overnight.  Many years passed with people attempting to find a better way to add VII and XIX.  They did find a better way and we teach those methods to our children.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for this post Gasmeterguy.  I've wondered sometimes over the years whether anyone else ever thought about how difficult it must have been for Roman engineers to do simple calculations.

United States
                Member #105312
                January 29, 2011
                435 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2011, 6:54 am - IP Logged

Josephus, I stayed away from the thread lest I attract more golf balls too it! It's a good topic, should make an interesting thread.

I apologize to you.

I'm never angry, no matter what I write. Hope you too know that. There are times this little pixie invades my brain, but she's only there because she was the muse of my life. She never got angry; she got even. Or ahead. And once I got behind there was no catching up!!

I would hope your new posts are one of the reasons new faces have come here to brave the acidity. Until a certain poster vacated moral high ground we all played with kid gloves. I was thrilled baglady posted how funny the last thread had become. Humor is a welcome change in what was once a dusty museum back alley hallway.

Hi Gary:  I hope you won't stay away from the thread if you have some thoughts and ideas about whatever gets posted there.

I agree about humor.  However, mine usually doesn't get recognized as humor so it's filed somewhere else in the minds of people who read it.  I do get a lot of laughs reading posts everywhere on the site and couldn't agree more with baglady about this thread.

Denver, Co
                  United States
                  Member #103046
                  December 29, 2010
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2011, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Ameriken,

I've seen people demand another QP when they get one like the one below.  I buy them later from the clerk when he has some.  Smile  JADELottery's current poll in Lottery Discussion, If you had 10 bucks to bet..., gets at this issue in a subtle way.  You never know how the cookie is going to crumble.  My experience has been, especially watching simulations run, is that over time, "it all comes out in the wash!"

--Jimmy4164

Jimmy, I didn't quite have that kind of luck when I used to buy QP's. I've got a bad taste in my mouth about QP's, just can't get myself to actually buy another.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
                    Park City, UT
                    United States
                    Member #69864
                    January 18, 2009
                    993 Posts
                    Posted: April 6, 2011, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Sorry Jim but I'm having trouble seeing a correspondence between the low order digits of the first 5 numbers and the 5 greyscale patches to their right.  E.G., on my monitor, the first column of greyscale is almost entirely dark black while the low order digits of the first column of numbers span the whole range, as expected.  I'm assuming the grey should get darker as the digits increase from 0 to 9 whereas you may be using another encoding scheme.  What am I missing?

Sorry for the confusion in showing the draws in drawn order that is just the way that I store them.  The last draw had the following white balls, 43-22-34-06-45, the ending digits would be 3-2-4-6-5, sorted they would be 2-3-4-5-6, the greyscale corresponds to that.  Its been suggested that instead of picking numbers try picking digits instead.  I took 1 aspect of this, the ending digits and assigned colors to them.  I'm not making any claims here for or against random or for or against digit theories, I just like to represent numbers with colors for visual viewing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: April 6, 2011, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Ameriken,

--Jimmy4164

Most stores won't accept a rejected MM qp since they aren't cancel-able and are what the customer ordered.  You were lucky to find a store that does.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Denver, Co
                        United States
                        Member #103046
                        December 29, 2010
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: April 6, 2011, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

Ameriken,

--Jimmy4164

Jimmy, what is the logic or motive behind buying QP's that others have rejected, rather than a new set?

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          4086 Posts
                          Posted: April 6, 2011, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Most stores won't accept a rejected MM qp since they aren't cancel-able and are what the customer ordered.  You were lucky to find a store that does.

RJOh

In MO they cancel the ticket just by scanning the barcode and then press a key.  The ticket is then just 

worthless paper.  When/if someone tried to cash it in then they would be arrested for fraud most likely.

I would say that jimmy purchased this ticket himself thinking that he is proving some sort of point.  I

wonder how many he purchased to find this one. 

RL

Denver, Co
                            United States
                            Member #103046
                            December 29, 2010
                            546 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2011, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

RJOh

In MO they cancel the ticket just by scanning the barcode and then press a key.  The ticket is then just 

worthless paper.  When/if someone tried to cash it in then they would be arrested for fraud most likely.

I would say that jimmy purchased this ticket himself thinking that he is proving some sort of point.  I

RL

If one ticket is no better than another ticket and they all have the same odds of winning or losing, I am curious why Jimmy would specifically buy those tickets from the clerk.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19901 Posts
                              Posted: April 6, 2011, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

RJOh

RL

The same is true in Ohio for games only played in Ohio, that doesn't apply to multi-states games.

Jimmy has said he represents true and unbiased facts.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Page 29 of 62