Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money and Happiness

Topic closed. 172 replies. Last post 5 years ago by smart player.

Page 10 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

Yes [ 53 ]  [61.63%]
No [ 33 ]  [38.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Elgin, IL
United States
Member #93542
July 2, 2010
318 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2011, 5:01 am - IP Logged

First of all it's one third, and secondly, not everyone does what the one third does, and that's why the two thirds are still happy. Thirdly, If the one third are gonna end up unhappy again, what's the harm? At least they had it good for a while. So you've accomplished nothing by your observation.

Do me a favor Raven, If you win the JP, just give it to me so I can be unhappy. I'll spare you the aggravation....Crazy

"At least they had it good for awhile."

Hell, I agree. Yes, they made stupid decisions, but at least they got a chance to know what it feels like. For awhile they lived a life most of us could only dream of.

unseen's avatar - 4eyes
    louisville, Ky
    United States
    Member #4928
    June 3, 2004
    142 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2011, 7:16 am - IP Logged

this thread is weird and funny.   Trust me I've had hot chicks and didn't need a million dollars to pull them AND STILL DON'T!  In fact I dated a few girls that went on to model and one who went on to dance for an NFL team.  It was fun, pleasurable, etc but at the end of the day like I said in a previous thread it was external gratification which is different from internal happiness.  Again too many people are confused with the difference between the two.   I'm closing in on 45 now.   I'm happy being in a stable relationship.  My GF is 25 and just graduated from college.  She's not some mindless bimbo chasing money and temporary pleasure.  But trust me I've had those type of girls.  In fact I've pulled a few of those type of girls while they were dating guys with money and I had nothing! 

When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. 

With that in mind I myself would love to win millions.  But I'm not a fool to think it would make me a better person.   I know what it would do is give me external pleasure, joy and a satisfaction.  But Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday.  Like I said I've noticed my friends who were millionares from playing professional sports to be no more happy than my friends who made 60 grand a year.  People have some grand delusion that constantly satisfying things you 'WANT' will fuel their happiness.  It's easy to think that way when you've never been on the drug of money. 

"Americans who earn $50,000 per year are much happier than those who earn $10,000 per year," writes Gilbert, "but Americans who earn $5 million per year are not much happier than those who earn $100,000 per year." - DailyBeast

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #99032
      October 18, 2010
      1439 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2011, 9:35 am - IP Logged

"When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. "

- Yep.

I'm calling on you Joker.  Cars and Women aren't the same as happiness.

Or you'll realize that when you grow up in, say 20ish years Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2011, 10:30 am - IP Logged

joker17,

The babes didn't leave the guy who owned a Yugo, when he met the babes he owned a Ferrari, then he went gaga and was left with a Yugo. Quite a difference.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2011, 11:00 am - IP Logged

People who think they can only be happy through money and possessions would seem to me to be very shallow and superficial.

And maybe they think this way because they've never lost the things that are really essential for true happiness. Usually, the things that make you happy are all around you and you don't realize how important they are to your happiness until you lose them. You can't gain happiness by gaining money but you can lose happiness through losing family members. Sometimes you might not realize how someone made you happy until they're gone forever. And you know that no amount of money in the world could fill that void, that no amount of money could make you happier than that person did. And you would give any money you had to have that happiness back.

To me, happiness is my family.

And no amount of money in the world could ever change that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40543 Posts
            Posted: August 31, 2011, 11:02 am - IP Logged

People who think they can only be happy through money and possessions would seem to me to be very shallow and superficial.

And maybe they think this way because they've never lost the things that are really essential for true happiness. Usually, the things that make you happy are all around you and you don't realize how important they are to your happiness until you lose them. You can't gain happiness by gaining money but you can lose happiness through losing family members. Sometimes you might not realize how someone made you happy until they're gone forever. And you know that no amount of money in the world could fill that void, that no amount of money could make you happier than that person did. And you would give any money you had to have that happiness back.

Beautifully said, I agree wth my whole heart.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: August 31, 2011, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

this thread is weird and funny.   Trust me I've had hot chicks and didn't need a million dollars to pull them AND STILL DON'T!  In fact I dated a few girls that went on to model and one who went on to dance for an NFL team.  It was fun, pleasurable, etc but at the end of the day like I said in a previous thread it was external gratification which is different from internal happiness.  Again too many people are confused with the difference between the two.   I'm closing in on 45 now.   I'm happy being in a stable relationship.  My GF is 25 and just graduated from college.  She's not some mindless bimbo chasing money and temporary pleasure.  But trust me I've had those type of girls.  In fact I've pulled a few of those type of girls while they were dating guys with money and I had nothing! 

When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. 

With that in mind I myself would love to win millions.  But I'm not a fool to think it would make me a better person.   I know what it would do is give me external pleasure, joy and a satisfaction.  But Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday.  Like I said I've noticed my friends who were millionares from playing professional sports to be no more happy than my friends who made 60 grand a year.  People have some grand delusion that constantly satisfying things you 'WANT' will fuel their happiness.  It's easy to think that way when you've never been on the drug of money. 

"Americans who earn $50,000 per year are much happier than those who earn $10,000 per year," writes Gilbert, "but Americans who earn $5 million per year are not much happier than those who earn $100,000 per year." - DailyBeast

That's your opinion. Lumping everyone by saying people confuse the two is simply ignorant. You're the one who is a fool for speaking for others. Speak for yourself.

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: August 31, 2011, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

"When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. "

- Yep.

I'm calling on you Joker.  Cars and Women aren't the same as happiness.

Or you'll realize that when you grow up in, say 20ish years Cool

Yeah, thanx for the warning dipshmidt. I'm so gald you woke me up to that BS. Go tell it to someone else who will be dumb enough to listen to your know-it-all crap.

Come to think of, you're right, you know what would make me happier than cars and women? For you to realize what a dumbass you really are.

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2011, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

joker17,

The babes didn't leave the guy who owned a Yugo, when he met the babes he owned a Ferrari, then he went gaga and was left with a Yugo. Quite a difference.

Scared

He went gaga? Okie dokie....

Stop doing so much drugs Coin...

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2011, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like something  either Martha Stewart said, or what Jerry Springer said at the end of his show....

Puke

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #99032
                      October 18, 2010
                      1439 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2011, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like something  either Martha Stewart said, or what Jerry Springer said at the end of his show....

Puke

I get it totally now.

You've got nobody you care about, and nobody cares about you, so you'll never feel what it's like to lose somebody.

Or at least that's the only reason I could think of for somebody to make a statement like that.  You wouldn't let somebody you care about die for all the money in the world.  Something tells me you don't understand that statement because you would seemingly just replace them with all the babes you'd get driving around in ferraries.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2011, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I get it totally now.

You've got nobody you care about, and nobody cares about you, so you'll never feel what it's like to lose somebody.

Or at least that's the only reason I could think of for somebody to make a statement like that.  You wouldn't let somebody you care about die for all the money in the world.  Something tells me you don't understand that statement because you would seemingly just replace them with all the babes you'd get driving around in ferraries.

You got it totally now?....You wouldn't get it if it hit you square in the forehead going 300 MPH....Bang Head

Yup, you've got me pegged alright...BRAVO !......

You're such a brilliant person. Now go back to your room and finish your homework, and btw, make your bed and clean up your mess.

Hey folks, now the 19 year old genius is  an expert on Psychology and  social behavior...Unbelievable folks !

OK, here's your ever growing resume:

Math genius

ESP abilities

Tax attorney expert

Masters in Psychology

Sociology wiz

Religous expert

What else should I know about you? I'll take a guess...

Speaks 5 languages fluently

Electrical engineer

Expert Locksmith

Computer programming professer at Harvard

Consultant at NASA

Brain Surgeon

Biology scientist

and more to come as per the wind blows...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2011, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I get it totally now.

You hit the nail on the head right there, Boney.

It's a cultural thing.

That's why he hasn't got the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

He has no sense of compassion and no sense of honor.

I was going to say he's all instinct like a dog but even dogs have a sense of loyalty.

He doesn't.

He is 100% totally self-absorbed.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #99032
                            October 18, 2010
                            1439 Posts
                            Posted: August 31, 2011, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Hey quit taking every post I make and telling me that I'm claiming to be an expert on the subject at hand.

If I did that, though, here's your resume...

1) I'm about 50 but I act like I'm 12.  I've got a young spirit - and I act out like a 12 year old whose Mom just cut his allowence.

2) I have a system that's a guaranteed way to beat horse racing (or whatever the hell system you bought for 2500 dollars) but it has a 3 year learning curve.

3) Did I mention it's a guarenteed working system?  Like it's been proven because some guy told me he won on the internet.  But it took him 3 years to learn it.  Now he's a millionaire.

4) House Edge?  Wow what retard thinks roulette always has a house edge?  That's stupid, if I just wait out about 10 spins, I can get an EDGE on the HOUSE.

5) Great at making insults that make no sense.

6) I make things up about people, and then say it AS IF they said it first.

7) Did I mention that anyone who does math is stupid?  And Religion, too.  I don't believe in fairy tails but little steel balls moving around a roulette wheel have a memory of where they've been in the past.  But Fairy Tails written by religious figures?  I KNOW that's made up.

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: August 31, 2011, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

You hit the nail on the head right there, Boney.

It's a cultural thing.

That's why he hasn't got the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

He has no sense of compassion and no sense of honor.

I was going to say he's all instinct like a dog but even dogs have a sense of loyalty.

He doesn't.

He is 100% totally self-absorbed.

I got your cultural thing alright. And when you pull it out of your ass in the hospital bed crying from pain, you'll finally see the culture.

Page 10 of 12