Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money and Happiness

Topic closed. 172 replies. Last post 5 years ago by smart player.

Page 6 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

Yes [ 53 ]  [61.63%]
No [ 33 ]  [38.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2011, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

It's only because ridge is always dead drunk and has no idea whers he's at or how much he's lost..One morning they found ridge sleeping on top of a truck...a semi truck in Billings Montana...

I been drunk in a lot more places than Billings Montana!

I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Hennessey, Tennessee, Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see-a what I mean-a.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

I've been everywhere.

~Johnny Cash

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

karinda's avatar - WINGS
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #108445
    March 25, 2011
    2855 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2011, 1:06 am - IP Logged

It's only because ridge is always dead drunk and has no idea whers he's at or how much he's lost..One morning they found ridge sleeping on top of a truck...a semi truck in Billings Montana...

Whatever works! LOL ... Wink

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
      Budapest
      Hungary
      Member #111903
      June 5, 2011
      35 Posts
      Posted: August 22, 2011, 9:21 am - IP Logged

Sure it would. If the financial troubles are gone, I would buy some cows and would be out with them all day long.
      Of course the knowledge that my family's future is set also would give me peace and happiness.

I always play random numbers

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: August 22, 2011, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Sure it would. If the financial troubles are gone, I would buy some cows and would be out with them all day long.
        Of course the knowledge that my family's future is set also would give me peace and happiness.

You must really like cows a lot to want to spend the whole day with them.

Although I would rather be with a herd of cows than a herd of Homosapiens myself.

--Edmund Burke

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #58835
          February 27, 2008
          148 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2011, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  I hate the way I live....worrying about how I'm going to pay bills, put food on the table, counting change for a gallon of milk sometimes.  Those are my biggest problems.  If I actually have MONEY, I won't have those problems to worry about, only a new set of problems.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
            Dover, Delaware
            United States
            Member #26979
            November 25, 2005
            178 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2011, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Money can never buy happiness..... What it buys is FREEDOM!!!!

FREEDOM from the BS of life, bills, worries.

FREEDOM to do whatever you want to do in your minds eye.

FREEDOM to Create, change, and dream.

If you are not happy now when you do WIN you will make horrid mistakes trying to fill your void and loose it all quicky...

and now the choir may sing..... lol.

I must say that I have to agree with you. I think you have to be genuinely  happy in order to be happy with money otherwise I think you will definitely make some bad decisions trying to find that missing happiness which, isn't missing at all it was never there to begin with..Thumbs Up

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: August 22, 2011, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Wow, someone who actually gets it. Bravo!

I don't know about the cow part, but whatever tickles your pickle...

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: August 22, 2011, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I must say that I have to agree with you. I think you have to be genuinely  happy in order to be happy with money otherwise I think you will definitely make some bad decisions trying to find that missing happiness which, isn't missing at all it was never there to begin with..Thumbs Up

But what If everything in your life that makes you unhappy is directly involved with money, which is my case? A lot of money would make me GENUINELY happy...

United States
                  Member #106134
                  February 13, 2011
                  806 Posts
                  Posted: August 23, 2011, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Like some here said, money can buy freedom which can lead to happiness, that's the way I see it.

If I were to win tomorrow night's powerball $47 million, I'd retire at 35 and never have to worry about a boss, or bills again.  I wouldn't even need to go buy a massive house, a Corvette, and take a trip to Hawaii, those things alone I stated before alone would thrill me!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2011, 11:57 am - IP Logged

But what If everything in your life that makes you unhappy is directly involved with money, which is my case? A lot of money would make me GENUINELY happy...

I think money can make you happy in the same sense that a nice birthday or Christmas present can. But how long does something like that make you happy? I don't think money will make someone with a miserable disposition happy. I agree with those who've said that if you're not already happy, no amount of money in the world is gonna change that.

I think the happiness directly related to winning a JP would be transitory and fleeting. After that initial upheaval, it all comes back down to being happy with yourself, and a lot of people, quite honestly, aren't. I've known and know a few people with money who are miserable. And I know people with money who I know would be happy even if they didn't have it, simply because that's their nature.

Because you think and hope and even believe a lot of money will make you happy doesn't make it so.

In the final analysis, I don't think money can compare in any measure to the happiness derived from one's relationship with God, family and friends.

I don't believe money is even capable of bringing true and lasting happiness.

I think true happiness is inextricably linked to love. Both the love you give and the love you receive.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I think money can make you happy in the same sense that a nice birthday or Christmas present can. But how long does something like that make you happy? I don't think money will make someone with a miserable disposition happy. I agree with those who've said that if you're not already happy, no amount of money in the world is gonna change that.

I think the happiness directly related to winning a JP would be transitory and fleeting. After that initial upheaval, it all comes back down to being happy with yourself, and a lot of people, quite honestly, aren't. I've known and know a few people with money who are miserable. And I know people with money who I know would be happy even if they didn't have it, simply because that's their nature.

Because you think and hope and even believe a lot of money will make you happy doesn't make it so.

In the final analysis, I don't think money can compare in any measure to the happiness derived from one's relationship with God, family and friends.

I don't believe money is even capable of bringing true and lasting happiness.

I think true happiness is inextricably linked to love. Both the love you give and the love you receive.

Ok, let me rephrase it. Money would make ME Genuinely happy for the rest of my life. The only thing that is NOT making ME happy is the lack of a lot of money. Maybe to others it may be fleeting and transitory, but I think I know myself better than anyone else on the planet, so I KNOW it wouldn't be a passing thing.

Some people here just don't get it and never will.  Sorry, but i can't make it any clearer than I already have.

All the peripheral attributes of happiness you mentioned may make some people feel comfy, cozy, warm and cuddly, but I need COLD HARD CASH, and TONS of it. Then after I have the wealth, I can think about all the corny stuff you mentioned.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Ok, let me rephrase it. Money would make ME Genuinely happy for the rest of my life. The only thing that is NOT making ME happy is the lack of a lot of money. Maybe to others it may be fleeting and transitory, but I think I know myself better than anyone else on the planet, so I KNOW it wouldn't be a passing thing.

Some people here just don't get it and never will.  Sorry, but i can't make it any clearer than I already have.

All the peripheral attributes of happiness you mentioned may make some people feel comfy, cozy, warm and cuddly, but I need COLD HARD CASH, and TONS of it. Then after I have the wealth, I can think about all the corny stuff you mentioned.

Alrighty then.

Sorry for throwing you into a rage.

You're obviously already a very happy little person.

And that must be nice when you're also the world's leading authority on absolutely everything.

Pfffffft!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2011, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Alrighty then.

Sorry for throwing you into a rage.

You're obviously already a very happy little person.

And that must be nice when you're also the world's leading authority on absolutely everything.

Pfffffft!

I'm not in a rage and not the world's leading authority on everything, but I think I know myself better than anyone else. NO?

What?....what are going to tell me next, what my favorite color SHOULD be?

Excuse me If having a few houses spread around with the mortgage already paid in full makes me happy.

Excuse me If owning a few sports cars in all those houses makes me happy.

Excuse me If having a harem beside me most of the time makes me happy.

Excuse me If I can help my family and friends out so they never have to work like a slave for the man ever again.

Excuse me If sailing on my 10 million dollar Yacht makes me happy.

Excuse me If not having to work like a freaking lowlife, bottom feeder slave anymore.

Excuse me If i want a 3 million dollar recording studio where I can play my guitar with other members of a band and REALLY ENJOY it without worrying how loud I can play.

Excuse me for wanting the peace of mind that comes with never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever having to worry about bills or where the next paycheck is going to come from, or retirement.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!.....For wanting to be happy.....Holy Moly mega byte frantic atlantic.....

What part do you exactly don't get?

unseen's avatar - 4eyes
                            louisville, Ky
                            United States
                            Member #4928
                            June 3, 2004
                            142 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2011, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

There's internal happiness and external happiness.   All of my friends who have been rich (friends who played in the NBA, NFL etc) are or have been externally happy.  Same with the very few friends I had in the entertainment industry.  But one thing I noticed is rarely were any of them internally happy and that's what people don't understand or can't grasp at all.   There's a reason why drug use is so prevailent in the entertainment industry.  Why suicidal thoughts is not uncommon among the rich, why the rich divorce just as much as the poor etc. 

With that in mind money would make me externally happy.  It would give me pleasure in being able to afford the things that would make me EXTERNALLY happy but I am not foolish enough to believe it would bring me a world of internal happiness for the rest of my life.  For one it would hinder my creative consciousness and vibrant spirit that comes from a lack of something external causing a flow of my imagination and a desire to create artistically.  People who don't have an artistic side don't understand that 'Flow'  and have a limited imagination and thus ONLY chase that which is external. 

Now with all that in mind whoever the rapper that said "Mo, Money Mo Problem"  well lets trade paychecks and see what kind of problems you have on a limited income and I'll see how I deal with your millions.  LOL!!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2011, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm not in a rage and not the world's leading authority on everything, but I think I know myself better than anyone else. NO?

What?....what are going to tell me next, what my favorite color SHOULD be?

Excuse me If having a few houses spread around with the mortgage already paid in full makes me happy.

Excuse me If owning a few sports cars in all those houses makes me happy.

Excuse me If having a harem beside me most of the time makes me happy.

Excuse me If I can help my family and friends out so they never have to work like a slave for the man ever again.

Excuse me If sailing on my 10 million dollar Yacht makes me happy.

Excuse me If not having to work like a freaking lowlife, bottom feeder slave anymore.

Excuse me If i want a 3 million dollar recording studio where I can play my guitar with other members of a band and REALLY ENJOY it without worrying how loud I can play.

Excuse me for wanting the peace of mind that comes with never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever having to worry about bills or where the next paycheck is going to come from, or retirement.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!.....For wanting to be happy.....Holy Moly mega byte frantic atlantic.....

What part do you exactly don't get?

You only think all those things will make you happy, you don't know it because you've never had any of it. So you're just guessing and hoping.

You've never had money and you're miserable so you assume that having money will change all that. Nope, doesn't work that way, sonny boy.

And I don't understand why you take this arrogant, condescending tone anytime and everytime someone questions you about anything. It shows how basically unhappy you are at your very core. Money won't change that, you'll still be the same miserable little plick (that's Chinese) you are now.

You're 50 some years old without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out but yet somehow you present yourself as some kind of financial wizard or a sage of some sort when you should be humbling yourself before your sister for putting a roof over your head and feeding your fat ass. You're a parasite.

Rock Star, Recording Studio, Pipe Dreams.

You'd be nothing more than the next Jack Whittaker story if you ever came into money.

--Edmund Burke

Page 6 of 12