Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money and Happiness

Topic closed. 172 replies. Last post 5 years ago by smart player.

Page 9 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

Yes [ 53 ]  [61.63%]
No [ 33 ]  [38.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
karinda's avatar - WINGS
New Jersey
United States
Member #108445
March 25, 2011
2855 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2011, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

right now i'd be happy if a women named irene made a hard right turn.

been darker than usual most of the day.

losing the satelite signal more often as storm gets closer.

treetops shakeing more as rain comes down harder.

i think this is just the front edge.

can't get the weather channel or any right now,still have power thank the lord.

god help the ppl.south of me who just delt w/ a earthaquake and now this.

Hang-in there Haymaker. Blue Angel

This too shall pass.

Karinda

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2011, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

"Possessions can make you less happy. In contrast, "the body of research suggests that
    if you want additional money so you can buy stuff -- like cars, clothes and jewelry --
    with the goal of impressing or keeping up with others, these pursuits will actually
    diminish your happiness," Dr. Maddux said, adding that "research shows that the pursuit
    of ’bling’ contributes to unhappiness because people probably are pursuing material
    goods at the expense of self-development and relationships."

I may be misunderstanding the paragraph, but I don't think that Dr. Maddux is saying
    that money will make you less happy.  I think what he's saying is that if the motivation for money
    is to acquire things to keep up with the Jones' that it not only won't make you happy,
    but it will make you unhappy because it's impossible to do. There will always be someone out there with something else, or something more. So if someone believes that pursuing material goods will be enough to complete themselves they will end-up very disillusioned, especially if it's done at the
    expense of other things in life. Not because there's anything wrong with it but because it's not possible to do ... it will never be enough.

Roger that, karinda. Thumbs Up

Some people will never understand.

But then there is no accounting for taste or class.

Some people act as annoying as the nouveau riche just thinking they're going to be.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2011, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

This too shall pass.

Karinda

Karinda, thanks, "this too shall pass" always a comforting thought.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2011, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Hunker down and stay safe up there, haymaker.

Everybody else up that way too. Take care.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2011, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Hunker down and stay safe up there, haymaker.

Everybody else up that way too. Take care.

thanks dude,this is new territory for many incl. me,last time we had this badass i was jus a gleem in dad's eye,LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5118 Posts
            Posted: August 28, 2011, 2:06 am - IP Logged

hot women, all the lexus cars, travel the world, none of that 9 to 5 bullcrap lol.  This is what i think about when i play powerball/mega.. so yeah

Set4life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whata U tonkn BOUT ????????????? DON"T spend ALL UR <<< JACKPOT >>>HOLD > ON!!!!

(1) hot women (PSYKO KNOW$$$)

(2) lexus cars...(PSYKO KNOW$$$)

(3) travel D world (PSYKO KNOW$)

(4) 9 to 5 bullcrap (NO comment$)

PSYKO kan solve ALL ur PROBLEM's 4

$2500>>>>>>>>>>>>per HOUR...........really CHEAP 4 what U GET>>>>>"HAPPINESS" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3854 Posts
              Posted: August 28, 2011, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

This too shall pass.

Karinda

no problems overnight,very lucky.a few trees down,planning to cut them anyway.

had electric for most of the storm,got up around 8 and thought we were in the eye.

put on TWC only to find irene was already in ma.

then power went out at 2 in afternoon,just came back few hrs. ago.

don't know where you are,hope you're ok.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #108445
                March 25, 2011
                2855 Posts
                Posted: August 29, 2011, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

no problems overnight,very lucky.a few trees down,planning to cut them anyway.

had electric for most of the storm,got up around 8 and thought we were in the eye.

put on TWC only to find irene was already in ma.

then power went out at 2 in afternoon,just came back few hrs. ago.

don't know where you are,hope you're ok.

thank you  we  are  fiine  eastern monmouth near sabndy  hook 

We losst poweerr miidnite. Fridaay has been out ssince then. Lost landline phonel yesterday 

But itt was on  thru the worst of things 

i am glad that you got thru OK thoughts to alll in nj and everyone 

Affected by the storm  in other states and canada. 

I'm changing my vote to yes moneey can buy happiness  because it  provides a way

For us to have what we  need  and when we have what we need we are  happy

Stay safe 

Karinda

Opti-Mystic's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg

Bahamas
                  Member #91247
                  May 13, 2010
                  151 Posts
                  Posted: August 29, 2011, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, money will certainly buy me some happiness - if only to give it to the two people who need it most in my life, so I can get on with MY LIFE.  Yeah, if only for that reason, money will most certainly pay for some happiness for me right now.

I'm not a lover of money and I wouldn't sell  my soul for it, but I do love the independence it gives, the fact that I can say "kiss my a$$ and walk fast" to certain persons, and the RR which I sorely need and could now get because of it, YEAH, all in all I would definitely agree that money can buy me A LOT of HAPPINESS!!  Most assuredly!!!

The "Winners Circle"  is incomplete without me!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                    Gurnee, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #49731
                    February 12, 2007
                    917 Posts
                    Posted: August 29, 2011, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I like what Coin Toss said here!

And I'll add....money can't buy happiness. Some things just can't be bought.

Ah contrary to popular sayings, money can buy a person happiness.  Bear with me for a moment.  If a person derives enjoyment from driving a nice car really fast, that person can rent time at a motor speedway to put said car through paces without worrying about getting a ticket or killing someone else.   Only money can buy that though.  If a person derives enjoyment from personally visiting the different historic sights around the world, I know for a fact that only money can buy that plane ticket and pay for that hotel and pay the tour guides.  If a person derives enjoyment from looking sharp as a tack and very sophisticated, I know that the clothes Macy's, Nordstroms, Prada, etc can only be bought with money (yeah a person can use credit but that is not as enjoyable as plucking down cold hard cash for any purchase.  A person can derive enjoyment from feeling well, but I know that hospitals and clinics are reluctant to see a person if they suspect they will not receive any renumeration via either insurance or direct billing the patient.  So I think it is a cope out and disingenious for people to say that "money can't buy happiness."  If anyone truly believes that, I petition you to find someone who firmly believes that money can buy happiness and give them a tenth of whatever is in your bank account or pocket.  I certainly know that money can buy ME happiness!!!

And I agree with Set4life that only money can buy you a hot chick(s), the nicest rides in the world (can you say Bugatti, Maserati, Bentley baby?!!), first class travel around D world (no coach cabin for me and no budget motels...only first/biz class airfare and hotels of the caliber of Ritz Carlton, Marriott, Sheraton, Movenpick, LeMeridien), and no obligation to having to slave for another just to pay bills...9-5 I wish, more like 5-9.  So money can buy one happiness!!!  There I said it and I am sticking to my belief.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

happygirl665's avatar - hi
                      Spotsylvania, Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #113688
                      July 14, 2011
                      24339 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2011, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I believe it would because currently I don't have a job and I am struggling. People say money doesn't bring you happiness but I don't believe it. One must go through without having money to fully understand the truth. It is hard out here and just 100 k would make my day. So, yes money does buy happiness in mist of being financially strapped and can't hardly pay your bills.

Who say's I'm broke? Are you kidding me, I am just waiting on my millions!Dance

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10348 Posts
                        Posted: August 30, 2011, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Glad for all that go through the storm OK.

OldSchoolPa,

You mentioned money buying hot chicks. Do you really think chicks that money could get would make you happy?

This thread is making me wonder if a study was ever done on jackpot winners who wind up bankrupt how many of them thought material things would bring them happiness and spent it all that way.

happygirl665,

Hang in there. I don't think a lot of people here are looking at money from a jackpot as coming out of dire straits, more so as bling and cars and what have you.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: August 30, 2011, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Glad for all that go through the storm OK.

OldSchoolPa,

You mentioned money buying hot chicks. Do you really think chicks that money could get would make you happy?

This thread is making me wonder if a study was ever done on jackpot winners who wind up bankrupt how many of them thought material things would bring them happiness and spent it all that way.

happygirl665,

Hang in there. I don't think a lot of people here are looking at money from a jackpot as coming out of dire straits, more so as bling and cars and what have you.

Do you really think chicks that money could get would make you happy?

Not everyone is into the lovie dovie crap. Some just want a nice ride...Wink

You can either drive a Yugo, pic

or a

Ferrari.  pic

Driving a Ferrari would most certainly make me happy.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: August 31, 2011, 12:24 am - IP Logged

joker,

Point is, sometimes the babes attracted to the Ferrari leave the guy with a Yugo.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: August 31, 2011, 12:47 am - IP Logged

joker,

Point is, sometimes the babes attracted to the Ferrari leave the guy with a Yugo.

What?...What?

The babes who left the guy who owned a Yugo aren't even on the same plane as the ones qualified to my standards.

Believe you me, only 20 year old ANGELS would qualify, like the one below.

pic

Page 9 of 12