Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money and Happiness

Topic closed. 172 replies. Last post 5 years ago by smart player.

Page 11 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

Yes [ 53 ]  [61.63%]
No [ 33 ]  [38.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2011, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Hey quit taking every post I make and telling me that I'm claiming to be an expert on the subject at hand.

If I did that, though, here's your resume...

1) I'm about 50 but I act like I'm 12.  I've got a young spirit - and I act out like a 12 year old whose Mom just cut his allowence.

2) I have a system that's a guaranteed way to beat horse racing (or whatever the hell system you bought for 2500 dollars) but it has a 3 year learning curve.

3) Did I mention it's a guarenteed working system?  Like it's been proven because some guy told me he won on the internet.  But it took him 3 years to learn it.  Now he's a millionaire.

4) House Edge?  Wow what retard thinks roulette always has a house edge?  That's stupid, if I just wait out about 10 spins, I can get an EDGE on the HOUSE.

5) Great at making insults that make no sense.

6) I make things up about people, and then say it AS IF they said it first.

7) Did I mention that anyone who does math is stupid?  And Religion, too.  I don't believe in fairy tails but little steel balls moving around a roulette wheel have a memory of where they've been in the past.  But Fairy Tails written by religious figures?  I KNOW that's made up.

You forgot one:

8. I'll be 80 when bonehead pulls his head out of his ass.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2011, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I got your cultural thing alright. And when you pull it out of your ass in the hospital bed crying from pain, you'll finally see the culture.

You can keep that stuff between you and Nancy.

He's California at heart too, just like you. Hippy

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2011, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

You can keep that stuff between you and Nancy.

He's California at heart too, just like you. Hippy

It's better than living with all those toothless rednecks way up in them hills. We can actually watch videos on our computers.

unseen's avatar - 4eyes
        louisville, Ky
        United States
        Member #4928
        June 3, 2004
        142 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2011, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

You get offended way too easily.   I'm done here.  I rest my case on my so called 'opinion'  as I can see how easy it was to bait one into a defensive rebuttal; how dare me lump another into my own opinion only to see that person refer to others as toothless hillbillies and rednecks.  Should that be spelled out in refridgerator magnets for you to see?  That typographical slippage of the mind tells me all I need to know Archie.  You're way too invested in this conversation.   Stop the self abuse.  Enjoy your life....or whatever it is you do.   EOL x2   Pwned!!

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2011, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

You get offended way too easily.   I'm done here.  I rest my case on my so called 'opinion'  as I can see how easy it was to bait one into a defensive rebuttal; how dare me lump another into my own opinion only to see that person refer to others as toothless hillbillies and rednecks.  Should that be spelled out in refridgerator magnets for you to see?  That typographical slippage of the mind tells me all I need to know Archie.  You're way too invested in this conversation.   Stop the self abuse.  Enjoy your life....or whatever it is you do.   EOL x2   Pwned!!

No, I'm not easily offended, just tell it as I see it. It's one thing to have an opinion, but your post is replete with words that read like supposed facts according to you. Words like..."They lack true substance, identity, and a stable frame of mind"..."Short comings"..."grand delusion"....

You have a right to your opinions, but don't get pissy when someone disagrees with you.

I refer Ridge as a toothless hillbilly because he has a history of starting the whole name calling a while back, so I'm just giving him a taste of his own medicine, which like you, can't take it. if you can't take the heat, you know the rest.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #108445
            March 25, 2011
            2855 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2011, 8:59 am - IP Logged

People who think they can only be happy through money and possessions would seem to me to be very shallow and superficial.

And maybe they think this way because they've never lost the things that are really essential for true happiness. Usually, the things that make you happy are all around you and you don't realize how important they are to your happiness until you lose them. You can't gain happiness by gaining money but you can lose happiness through losing family members. Sometimes you might not realize how someone made you happy until they're gone forever. And you know that no amount of money in the world could fill that void, that no amount of money could make you happier than that person did. And you would give any money you had to have that happiness back.

To me, happiness is my family.

And no amount of money in the world could ever change that.

'Tis a gift! Lovies

karinda's avatar - WINGS
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #108445
              March 25, 2011
              2855 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2011, 10:00 am - IP Logged

this thread is weird and funny.   Trust me I've had hot chicks and didn't need a million dollars to pull them AND STILL DON'T!  In fact I dated a few girls that went on to model and one who went on to dance for an NFL team.  It was fun, pleasurable, etc but at the end of the day like I said in a previous thread it was external gratification which is different from internal happiness.  Again too many people are confused with the difference between the two.   I'm closing in on 45 now.   I'm happy being in a stable relationship.  My GF is 25 and just graduated from college.  She's not some mindless bimbo chasing money and temporary pleasure.  But trust me I've had those type of girls.  In fact I've pulled a few of those type of girls while they were dating guys with money and I had nothing! 

When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. 

With that in mind I myself would love to win millions.  But I'm not a fool to think it would make me a better person.   I know what it would do is give me external pleasure, joy and a satisfaction.  But Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday.  Like I said I've noticed my friends who were millionares from playing professional sports to be no more happy than my friends who made 60 grand a year.  People have some grand delusion that constantly satisfying things you 'WANT' will fuel their happiness.  It's easy to think that way when you've never been on the drug of money. 

"Americans who earn $50,000 per year are much happier than those who earn $10,000 per year," writes Gilbert, "but Americans who earn $5 million per year are not much happier than those who earn $100,000 per year." - DailyBeast

How do you know that Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday?  Disney

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2011, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

How do you know that Disneyland gets dull and boring when you go everyday?  Disney

LMFAO.

Favorite post of the thread.

unseen's avatar - 4eyes
                  louisville, Ky
                  United States
                  Member #4928
                  June 3, 2004
                  142 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2011, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Ha, lol!  Well I lived close to a huge amusement park and we went almost every weekend in the summer and after about a month I was done.   Same with Vegas.  The first few days I was estatic but by day 6 I was ready to go the hell home!  Confused

Elgin, IL
                    United States
                    Member #93542
                    July 2, 2010
                    318 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2011, 3:15 am - IP Logged

"When someone tells me money will make them happy for the rest of their life and will solve all of their grief I call BS because I feel that deep down inside they lack true substance, identity and a stable frame of mind and the only thing money will do is mask those short comings.   Woooooo I can drive and expensive car now and live in an expensive home and show off and now women love me!  No what you have my friend is a pain killer that's keeping you sedated from something that's eating at you inside. "

- Yep.

I'm calling on you Joker.  Cars and Women aren't the same as happiness.

Or you'll realize that when you grow up in, say 20ish years Cool

Money does not buy happiness, but it buys freedom. Self made or lottery, it doesn't matter. The best medical care, no more worrying about bills, you can travel the world many times over, own your dream home, pay for your kid's college education, retire early, take of sick family memebers. Those things make you happy. Life will never be perfect, but money makes life better.

United States
                      Member #116100
                      September 4, 2011
                      15 Posts
                      Posted: September 4, 2011, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Does money buy happiness? To answer this question, simply ask yourself the following questions.

1. Does it make me happy to worry about how to pay next month's mortgage, auto insurance, utility bills, car payment, or worse yet - last month's mortgage and last month's bills?

2. Does it make me happy to fight with my spouse over financial problems?

3. Does it make me happy that I am forced to take it in the ass by an abusive boss just to hang on to a job (when jobs are hard to come by nowdays - especially for a middle aged RN) where I am under paid and under appreciated?

4. Does it make me happy that I have no time to enjoy life (vacationing, hobbies, spending time with grandkids, writing that book I've always dreamed about) due to work obligations?

5. Does it make me happy to know that I will be forced to live under the federal poverty level after my "retirement" because I barely earn enough money now to meet my family's current needs?

6. Does it make me happy to know that I will have to work well into my 70's before I could even think about retiring?

7. Does it make me happy to know I have no monetary inheritance to pass on to my loved ones after I die (my life insurance will barely pay for my cremation, and I can't afford to buy more)?

8. Does it make me happy that I can't afford to make a business loan to my hard working daughter who is a single mother of 3, so she can open the day spa she has always dreamed about?

9. Does it make me happy that I can't afford a nice wedding for my daughters, or even a decent wedding?

10. Does it make me happy that I was unable to contribute toward my children's college education (pell grants alone don't quite make it and my children were forced to take student loans which they still owe)?

11. Does it make me happy that I can't co-sign an auto loan for one of my adult children because my own credit scores do not qualify?

12. Does it make me happy to know that my precious grandchildren are forced to attend inferior and barely affordable childcare so their parent's can work (2 yr waiting list for state funds), and there is not a <snip> thing I can do to help them?

BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I am no different than the average person; I have made some good decisions during my life; I have made some bad decisions during my life; we do not piss money away; in fact, we are frugal in many ways. With the economy the way it is today the hardships my husband and I have encountered are the reality of a middle-aged couple. I am a registered nurse and my husband draws SSDI.

I don't know about you, but I am fairly certain that a lottery jackpot would make me a very happy woman!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2011, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Does money buy happiness? To answer this question, simply ask yourself the following questions.

1. Does it make me happy to worry about how to pay next month's mortgage, auto insurance, utility bills, car payment, or worse yet - last month's mortgage and last month's bills?

3. Does it make me happy that I am forced to take it in the ass by an abusive boss just to hang on to a job (when jobs are hard to come by nowdays - especially for a middle aged RN) where I am under paid and under appreciated?

4. Does it make me happy that I have no time to enjoy life (vacationing, hobbies, spending time with grandkids, writing that book I've always dreamed about) due to work obligations?

5. Does it make me happy to know that I will be forced to live under the federal poverty level after my "retirement" because I barely earn enough money now to meet my family's current needs?

6. Does it make me happy to know that I will have to work well into my 70's before I could even think about retiring?

7. Does it make me happy to know I have no monetary inheritance to pass on to my loved ones after I die (my life insurance will barely pay for my cremation, and I can't afford to buy more)?

8. Does it make me happy that I can't afford to make a business loan to my hard working daughter who is a single mother of 3, so she can open the day spa she has always dreamed about?

9. Does it make me happy that I can't afford a nice wedding for my daughters, or even a decent wedding?

10. Does it make me happy that I was unable to contribute toward my children's college education (pell grants alone don't quite make it and my children were forced to take student loans which they still owe)?

11. Does it make me happy that I can't co-sign an auto loan for one of my adult children because my own credit scores do not qualify?

12. Does it make me happy to know that my precious grandchildren are forced to attend inferior and barely affordable childcare so their parent's can work (2 yr waiting list for state funds), and there is not a <snip> thing I can do to help them?

BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I am no different than the average person; I have made some good decisions during my life; I have made some bad decisions during my life; we do not piss money away; in fact, we are frugal in many ways. With the economy the way it is today the hardships my husband and I have encountered are the reality of a middle-aged couple. I am a registered nurse and my husband draws SSDI.

I don't know about you, but I am fairly certain that a lottery jackpot would make me a very happy woman!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I hope you win, smart player. Thumbs Up

And I hope you don't mean literally what you said in #3.

Best of luck to you.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: September 4, 2011, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Finally, someone who understands REALITY, and doesn't repeat the same old cliche B.S. with gooey words like a Myna bird.

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of more B.S. coming soon in the following pages. There's gonna be "Touchy Feely" comments put into nice little warm and cozy poems about what the real definition of happiness is like a hug from Grandma, walking in the park on a summer day, watching a sunset while a puppy runs in front of you.......Puke........ These people are delusional....

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: September 4, 2011, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Best of luck to you.

OMG!!!!                  Green laugh

United States
                              Member #116100
                              September 4, 2011
                              15 Posts
                              Posted: September 4, 2011, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Best of luck to you.

I think "literally" taking it up the ass would feel a hell of a lot better than what I deal with at work.

Thanks for the well wishes. I do play, within reason, so there is actually a chance I could win.

I hope you win too, and I hope I make you smileSmile

Page 11 of 12