Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money and Happiness

Topic closed. 172 replies. Last post 5 years ago by smart player.

Page 2 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

If YOU win the lottery, will the money buy you happiness?

Yes [ 53 ]  [61.63%]
No [ 33 ]  [38.37%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
Chicago
United States
Member #70678
February 8, 2009
889 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2011, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Someone once posted that when you win a jackpot you trade one set of problems for another.

I don't think winning a jackpot would make a miserable person happy, they would just become a very wealthy miserable person.

Such a win could also make an already happy person not as happy when they started getting hounded by other people (consider the News thread about the couple in Scotland that went into hiding.)

But winning a jackpot would certainly enable you to have a lot of freedoms that you didn't have prior to the win.

I like what Coin Toss said here!

And I'll add....money can't buy happiness. Some things just can't be bought.

Just get me thru this so called life......

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2011, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

maybe you would become self employed ?

thats the only way i'd go back to so cal.

Why would I be self employed? The whole purpose is to do what I love to do, which is play my guitar in a top of the line studio, record my music, a harem on my 30 million dollar yacht, mansion in Malibu Beach, and travel. And that's just appetizers....lol

Gotta think big...

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2011, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Money can buy everything. It also can buy happiness.

But you can generate happiness for free, just takes some effort in looking into yourself.

Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2011, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Money can buy everything. It also can buy happiness.

But you can generate happiness for free, just takes some effort in looking into yourself.

I see it as only a temporary fix.  And then there's my landlord. She spends money as fast as she gets it......and she is truly THEE most miserable, unhappy person I have ever met.

dejavous's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
          nassau
          Bahamas
          Member #69367
          January 8, 2009
          184 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2011, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I will be <snip> Happy.I won;t have sleepless nights worrying about bills.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49784 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2011, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

If You're Not Happy Now: Winning Won't Make You Happy!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2011, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

If You're Not Happy Now: Winning Won't Make You Happy!

That is debatable.

I'm willing to bet you a thousand bucks someone who is unhappy because they have to work 50 hours + a week at a job they hate to make ends meet, can't afford healthcare, lives in an undesirable part of town in a one bedroom apartment, drives a car which could break down at any time and couldn't afford to fix it, living paycheck to paycheck worrying whether the light bill and rent will be paid on time,  eating unhealthy food cause they can't afford otherwise, can't help family members who need financial help, hasn't taken a vacation for 20 years because they can't afford one, can't buy new clothing, will disagree with you.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                Rochester
                United States
                Member #103282
                January 1, 2011
                603 Posts
                Posted: August 14, 2011, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Thats a good question Redhot. I say yes to a degree..  I think it's better to be financially comfortable, versus financially uncomfortable..Wink

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                  California
                  United States
                  Member #112364
                  June 17, 2011
                  661 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2011, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I will be <snip> Happy.I won;t have sleepless nights worrying about bills.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I love your avatar. It's exceedingly appropriate for a lottery forum Smile

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                    Dallas, TX
                    United States
                    Member #60284
                    April 12, 2008
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2011, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I see it as only a temporary fix.  And then there's my landlord. She spends money as fast as she gets it......and she is truly THEE most miserable, unhappy person I have ever met.

Yes, it is temporary. Maybe she has mental/health illness that prohibit her from experience happiness. The more power we give to the dollar the less we have.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10353 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2011, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

That is debatable.

I'm willing to bet you a thousand bucks someone who is unhappy because they have to work 50 hours + a week at a job they hate to make ends meet, can't afford healthcare, lives in an undesirable part of town in a one bedroom apartment, drives a car which could break down at any time and couldn't afford to fix it, living paycheck to paycheck worrying whether the light bill and rent will be paid on time,  eating unhealthy food cause they can't afford otherwise, can't help family members who need financial help, hasn't taken a vacation for 20 years because they can't afford one, can't buy new clothing, will disagree with you.

joker17,

That's true but would such "happiness" be permanent or temporary, and would the real thrill be freedom more so than happiness?

If it's happiness how come so many jackpot winners are bankrupt within five years?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: August 14, 2011, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

joker17,

That's true but would such "happiness" be permanent or temporary, and would the real thrill be freedom more so than happiness?

If it's happiness how come so many jackpot winners are bankrupt within five years?

Well, it's a personal thing. I get so tired of people over the years repeating the tired old phrases like Myna birds...."Money won't buy you happiness", and so forth, I just want to slap them around...lol

Personally for me, and I'm sure a lot would agree, it would be a permanent thing. You mention freedom in your first question, and that's exactly what it would give me. Freedom to do whatever I want to. Freedom to live anywhere, travel anywhere without financial limitations. Freedom from a boss at work, you name it, the list would be a mile long.

Just about every stumbling block and unhappiness for me in life has dealt with not having enough money. Most of it was my doing, not getting a higher education for the purposes of a better paying job, but I blame no one but me. But regardless, those road blocks and many others would be lifted.

You ask why so many JP winners go bankrupt. One-third of them go broke, but that's them, I would hope I'd be in the two-thirds corner. Some people can't handle wealth and take it for granted. But the real question is this Coin. Everytime someone mentions that tired old phrase I mentioned earlier, the following is what I say to them first. How many people are there out there who are wealthy and enjoy their lives? How many welathy people DON'T get into trouble. You never hear about them, only the ones that make the news because no one cares about wealthy lives that are without turmoil.

So next time, ask yourself how YOU would deal with it instead of always comparing yourself with how Joe Schmo handled it. It's like asking yourself how many people freak out before they go on a roller coaster ride, before making a decision whether you should go. Some will, and some won't...so what? You can't go through life worrying about how others react to something before doing it yourself.

Personally, I know exactly what I want to do. I'm a musician and play the guitar, not all that great, but I can jam a good blues lead with a supporting band any day. I'd have a top of the line studio with high end equipment, recording gear, and even maybe a respected tutor/mentor to help me fine tune my playing. Maybe record some stuff and who knows. I know what I want.

Of course I'd give to my family and friends, and even a couple of charities that I deem worthy, but I would immediately put at least half away for the future. I'll have spending money and untouchable money.

I know I can handle it.....thousands of others are....

And If I fail in doing everything I said above, well, then I'll look back and tell myself....wow, that was a nice roller coaster ride...Big Grin

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: August 14, 2011, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Also Cointoss, I forgot to mention, we live in a material world, so it takes material things to make me happy. Once I have a lot of money I can focus on all that spirituality stuff. Imagine If I had 3 billion bucks in the bank free and clear. Imagine all the centers I could open up for spiritual cleansing, saving the whales, helping folks who are less fortunate than me, and so on. Money won't solve all the ills of this world, but it sure can help alleviate some of the pain.

We have an old saying in Iran...pronounced phonetically...."een cheesa bareh fattie tomoon nehmeesheh". Basically it means any topic that people speak of that doesn't help put money in one's pocket isn't worth talking about.

And, what would be my option....ERRRRR...NO!, I don't want to win a lot of money because I may become more miserable?....ARE you kidding me?....ha hahha hha haha.....That would an insane option...NOPE, I don't want those 10  suitcases in front of me filled with 100 dollar bills...NOPE...I don't want to be sad later in life....Green laugh

My option wouldn't be working as a cab driver in Los Angeles for the rest of my life. That's a miserable existence. I do however have a long term plan. Since shortly I'll be making about 800 or more a week, I will be able to save anywhere from 15 to 20 grand in a year or so, so I can do what that person is doing in that state with the P-4 I wrote about many times. This person is willing to give me the numbers but I'll need a hefty bankroll to accomplish what this person did. This person has already profited over 750 thousand bucks playing in that online place over the last 9 months or so. And that's how I'll make my fortune. Not millions, but 30 thousand or more a month isn't bad, especially when it involves practically no work.

That's my goal...

Chicago
                            United States
                            Member #70678
                            February 8, 2009
                            889 Posts
                            Posted: August 14, 2011, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

The money will buy me financial freedom YESSSSS!!!!!  Financial freedom is not the same as happiness. It can even buy me all the material things I could ever dream of. But I agree with Raven...if I'm not happy now the money isn't going to make me happy. Temporarily yes. It would be fun to buy things without having to worry about paying for them. But then what? I deliver the mail to people who have money and guess what? They have problems just like everyone else.  And they aren't all happy.

Think about it.......how many people do you know that bank their happiness on "If only....." And if only comes around and guess what? They still aren't happy.

The point I was trying to make about my landlord was this...she's unhappy. And I have no doubt she spends and spends in an attempt to make herself happy. And it's not working. She's rude, complains about everything, she lies, yells and screams at her dogs, she lives alone and really doesn't have any friends.  And she's a do as I say and not as I do kind of person. So do you really think if she won the lottery all her troubles will fade and she'll be happy? Well maybe if she has a lobotomy LOL!!!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10353 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2011, 12:35 am - IP Logged

joker17,

Good stuff, interesting. I like that saying you spelled out phoenetically. The only thing you said I question is material things. I think they are really temporary "highs" at best, then they become just another "if only". "If only" I had that car I'd be the happiest person in the world. A month later that "if only" gives into another "if only" and unfotrtunatley some people go through every dime they have before they realize it.

Sometimes this "if only" things also includes other people. "If onlly she would date me", etc....which can be a real snare because whenever anyone puts their emotional erll being in the hands of another human they're going to get zonked.

ca-dreamin*

That landlady sounds like some of the "hi-rollers" in Vegas.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Page 2 of 12