Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7295 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2012, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Ok, well there you have it, that explains why all even/all odd combinations hits about 5.2% of the time.

I didn't do the math and that's why I asked the question......

Now I see that 5/30 equals 142,506 combinations.

So maybe I am just arguing the point, but it still doesn't make sense that a person would spend money on number combinations that only come up as winners 5% of the time.

If a person was going to play one draw, and one draw only, and could play up to 50% of the possible combinations, would it be wise to play those 261,261 combinations that only appear as winners in only 5.2% of the draws??

"If a person was going to play one draw, and one draw only, and could play up to 50% of the possible combinations"

Let's stop right there because logistics make it next to impossible to play 50% of the 5 million possible combos.

To make it more realistic, say you use 15 numbers (8 odd and 7 even), were positive 5 of those numbers would be drawn (don't know which 5), and played all 3003 combos. Would you throw out 77 of those combos because they were all even or all odd and risk losing the possible 3 + 0 and 4 + 0 winners?

If 10 of the numbers were odd, would you throw out 253 of those combos because only 5.2% of all the combos are all even or all odd?

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

"If a person was going to play one draw, and one draw only, and could play up to 50% of the possible combinations"

Let's stop right there because logistics make it next to impossible to play 50% of the 5 million possible combos.

To make it more realistic, say you use 15 numbers (8 odd and 7 even), were positive 5 of those numbers would be drawn (don't know which 5), and played all 3003 combos. Would you throw out 77 of those combos because they were all even or all odd and risk losing the possible 3 + 0 and 4 + 0 winners?

If 10 of the numbers were odd, would you throw out 253 of those combos because only 5.2% of all the combos are all even or all odd?

I suppose the short answer would be..... yes.

One thing for certain is that in all of my posts I ASSUME the objective is to WIN THE JACKPOT. But around here this seems to be a mistake as I keep seeing post like your where you are asking if I would "throw out" a 5.2% chance of hitting a $7. prize.

After a while I start thinking that your just messin with me.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1648 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Just a possible quick tip to narrow down PB combinations from one draw to the next is the FORMAT of the numbers. I'm currently working on the repetitive nature of the formats. Example:

5/26/12 = Odd-Even-Odd-Odd-Odd

5/30/12 = Odd-Even-Even-Even-Even

6/02/12 = Odd-Even-Odd-Odd-Odd 

Just something to look at and consider for the next draw.Thumbs Up

L.L.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Just a possible quick tip to narrow down PB combinations from one draw to the next is the FORMAT of the numbers. I'm currently working on the repetitive nature of the formats. Example:

5/26/12 = Odd-Even-Odd-Odd-Odd

5/30/12 = Odd-Even-Even-Even-Even

6/02/12 = Odd-Even-Odd-Odd-Odd 

Just something to look at and consider for the next draw.Thumbs Up

L.L.

Of course your looking at that, which proves my point. Any EEOOO or EEEOO combination make up 56% of the combinations and therefore are more likely to hit. Im talkin about 5/59

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1648 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2012, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Of course your looking at that, which proves my point. Any EEOOO or EEEOO combination make up 56% of the combinations and therefore are more likely to hit. Im talkin about 5/59

My first rule of thumb with these games is this: It cannot LEAD OFF with BOTH ODD AND EVEN. So, my advice would be to pick one or the other in the single digits i.e. 1,3,5,7,9, or, teens 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 (or Evens) and so forth, as a single lead off number. Remain consistent with the odd or even lead off numbers and you're bound to hit it at least every other draw. The remaining combination should, in my opinion, consist of EEOO,OOEE,EOOE,OEEO. The EOEO,OEOE seems to be the least drawn "Follower Combination" from what I can see. Three of a kind will prevail most of the time. Hope this helps.

D*amn it, man!!! I just might win one of these days!!!LOL Hopefully you will, too!!!Cheers

L.L.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2012, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

My first rule of thumb with these games is this: It cannot LEAD OFF with BOTH ODD AND EVEN. So, my advice would be to pick one or the other in the single digits i.e. 1,3,5,7,9, or, teens 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 (or Evens) and so forth, as a single lead off number. Remain consistent with the odd or even lead off numbers and you're bound to hit it at least every other draw. The remaining combination should, in my opinion, consist of EEOO,OOEE,EOOE,OEEO. The EOEO,OEOE seems to be the least drawn "Follower Combination" from what I can see. Three of a kind will prevail most of the time. Hope this helps.

D*amn it, man!!! I just might win one of these days!!!LOL Hopefully you will, too!!!Cheers

L.L.

Cheers my friend  Cheers  Tonight could be the night.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2012, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Ok, well there you have it, that explains why all even/all odd combinations hits about 5.2% of the time.

I didn't do the math and that's why I asked the question......

Now I see that 5/30 equals 142,506 combinations.

So maybe I am just arguing the point, but it still doesn't make sense that a person would spend money on number combinations that only come up as winners 5% of the time.

If a person was going to play one draw, and one draw only, and could play up to 50% of the possible combinations, would it be wise to play those 261,261 combinations that only appear as winners in only 5.2% of the draws??

"So maybe I am just arguing the point, but it still doesn't make sense that a person would spend money on number combinations that only come up as winners 5% of the time."

You don't understand what actually happens. We're talking about the lottery, not horse shoes. You don't win anything for being "close" or for playing a combination that has the same mix of odd and even numbers as the winning combination. Nobody plays "combinations that only come up as winners 5% of the time" even if they think that's what they're doing. People play individual combinations that win or lose depending on how many of the individual numbers match the combination that was drawn.

If you bother to do the math you'll find easy proof. The type of combination that you think makes more sense may be drawn more often, but since there are more of them to choose from you have less chance of picking the right one. all even combinations are less likely to be drawn, but since there are fewer of them you have a much better chance of having the one that is the winner. You can even prove it experimentally in an hour. Take 3 of any small identical object and paint two of them red and one of them blue, then number them 1, 2 and 3. Mix the in an opaque container and draw one of them without looking and record the result. Repeat it 99 times. Since there are twice as many red objects you should draw a red object twice as often as a blue object. Let us know if #1 is drawn twice as often as #3 just because it's red.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                Member #59354
                March 13, 2008
                3962 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:05 am - IP Logged

Ronnie316

Mega millions has had 16 drawings with 5 even numbers and 10 draws with 5 odd.  There are 28 odd and 28

even numbers.  The odds for a draw having all 5 even or odd is exactly the same but you can see from the

history that the totals for each are quite different.  If the game runs long enough then most likely the totals

for each will move closer and closer to each other.  Odds tell us what we can expect over a span of drawings

but for a single drawing they are not so telling.   Paint all the odd balls red and the even blue and you could

expect  very similar results.  There are 98,280 five number combinations of 5 odd and 98,280 with 5 even.

since ther are 3,819816 total combinations then the odds for 5 odd or 5 red balls are about 1 in 38.

3,819816/98,280=38.87.  five blue or even would be the same.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                  Member #59354
                  March 13, 2008
                  3962 Posts
                  Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:38 am - IP Logged

I just ran a few calculations on playing all the 5 odd and 5 even combinations for every mega ball drawing.

705 * (98,280 *2) = (705 * 196560) =  $138,574,800

Average jackpot for mega millions = $105,000,000 

there have been 26 drawings where all 5 numbers were all odd or all even

26 * 105,000,000 =2,730,000,000

$2,730,000,000 - $138,547,800 = $2,591,452,200  in winnings  thats 2.59 billion in winnings over the last 

10 years.  These are my predictions for the prediction board, and I will use the same 196,560 tickets for

the life of the game.  I think this puts me on top.

RL

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

United States
                    Member #111714
                    May 31, 2011
                    104 Posts
                    Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:41 am - IP Logged

what are you doing up this late RL?  Got your PB sets for tonight yet?

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3962 Posts
                      Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:47 am - IP Logged

what are you doing up this late RL?  Got your PB sets for tonight yet?

xaab

I have a sleeping disorder and only sleep around 2 1/2 hours a day average.  Sometimes I go 2 or 3 days 

at a time without any.  I might try a couple PB tickets tonight but since I have a 15 dollar limit that means

I can only play 5 $3.00 or 7 $2.00 tickets.  I have been working on a different version of the R-L-P option

and might give PB a try.

RL

United States
                        Member #111714
                        May 31, 2011
                        104 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:50 am - IP Logged

xaab

I have a sleeping disorder and only sleep around 2 1/2 hours a day average.  Sometimes I go 2 or 3 days 

at a time without any.  I might try a couple PB tickets tonight but since I have a 15 dollar limit that means

I can only play 5 $3.00 or 7 $2.00 tickets.  I have been working on a different version of the R-L-P option

and might give PB a try.

RL

Oh I forgot you rather play the 5/39 game than the big game.  I would agree too with smaller odds but with $177 million to retire on I think you should play 5 lines like you said.

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3962 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:57 am - IP Logged

xaab

I don't know what I would do with $177 million, maybe buy new tires for my pickup truck.

Might even pay someone to wash it for me.

RL

United States
                            Member #111714
                            May 31, 2011
                            104 Posts
                            Posted: June 6, 2012, 5:05 am - IP Logged

RL

Maybe $177 million is too small for you to know what can you do with it.  You probably need it to go up to $640 million like that mega million.  That's ok though because tonight I will win it and I'll tell you what I will do after.

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3962 Posts
                              Posted: June 6, 2012, 5:10 am - IP Logged

xaab

I already have about everything I ever wanted, probably give most of it away if I won.

RL

Page 3 of 353