Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 117 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: May 22, 2014, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Has this happened to anyone else?  Bought some 20x the Money yesterday, sadly I didn't get the GP, but I did have a few winners.  Today, I went to cash one of them, and I was told by another vendor that she couldn't do that because the pack hadn't been activated.  I tried it at another store and was told the same thing.  I had forgotten the exact place where I bought it, so I went home & emailed CALottery.  They got back to me within the hour with the vendors address.  Going there tonite to cash my tickets and it will be the last time I buy anything there.

Yeah, that happened to me before. That's just the clerk being sloppy and not activating the pack before he puts it out for sale. Yeah, it's a pain if you didn't know where you got it from.

You can either go back to the same store to force the issue, or wait a day or so, for them to get some other winners purchased on that roll where others in the store raise the issue and it gets activated so you can cash it anywhere.

One of the few times I called in to lottery customer service was for this purpose. The customer service guy was extremely rude, sounded like I called into the DMV in da hood or something. Blue Thinking

United States
    Member #155530
    May 21, 2014
    9 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2014, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

The fact the lottery knows which packs for all games are in all lottery retailers troubles me because these games could be rigged...

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2014, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

The fact the lottery knows which packs for all games are in all lottery retailers troubles me because these games could be rigged...

You bring up an interesting point.  If the packs weren't activated by the time the customer service representative replied to green sandals, then I suppose there's another set of tracking/inventory control provided by the DSR's back to headquarters or regional district offices.  They might be required to keep an itemized daily activity log of each day's delivery on their route.  This might be more to ensure tickets don't go missing "mysteriously" or for investigative purposes if non-activated packs are stolen.

I've read about past misdeeds by various lotteries and their employees, but I don't think ours is rigged.

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
        Costa Mesa
        United States
        Member #150634
        December 27, 2013
        157 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2014, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I'd be more worried if the lottery didn't know which packs for all games are at which retailers.

As I understand it, the companies who print the tickets only know where the winners are in the packs and the lottery only knows where the packs are.  You need both pieces of information to "rig" the game and neither party has both.

Washougal
          United States
          Member #155590
          May 23, 2014
          3 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2014, 1:13 am - IP Logged

I've always wanted to join, but hadn't until now. Thought I'd finally register and add a bit to this thread, even though I don't live in CA, I still travel there often enough to play.

Last week on the way to Santa Cruz for a buddy's wedding I had a plan to play the $5m scratcher, as not only is the prize bigger than here in the Portland area ($5m vs. $250k) but any time I've played it I at least made 50% of my money back. Upon entering Weed I picked up 2 $5M's and 1 Black gold along with about 5 crosswords for the wife. $20 winner on 1 of the $5M's and the black gold was $0. I don't care about the crosswords, they're like $2.

On to the next planned scratcher stop, Dunnigan. I had previously won $250 playing the $5 Monopoly the year before on a similar trip, so I thought WTH, why not? I bought 2 $5M's. I was pretty excited because I got 000 and 001. 000 being my long-time favorite on any game. Uuuuunfortunately the pregnant wife accompanying me called dibs on the 000 so I didn't even get to scratch the one I wanted!

BUST! Both cards racked up losses.

On to the wedding in Santa Cruz. With no more stops for tickets on the way down. 

In the hotel I signed up for the 2nd chance lottery (yes, I'm not a resident but still) and started entering tickets. I get to good ol' 000 and sure enough, red warning. I didn't even have to scratch it. I look over and say "nice, this is the second time you've missed a winner" and let her scratch it. $500. Yeahhhhh. So, instead of a loser, or a likely-to-be-thrown-away-if-not-for-second-chance lottery ticket - it was a pretty big winner (though, still not what I'm after!). Oh, and about the "Second time", she did the same thing with a $2 scratcher up here in Oregon and it was worth $100 because she forgot to scratch the bonus letters. Doh!

I play a lot, so really, $500 didn't get me too excited, in fact I'd seen my brother win $500 on this exact game. However, it's nice to come up ahead on this game after losing a few thousand over the course of a couple years on the $20's up here in OR/WA. I love that specific game and it's really too bad the states closest to me don't follow suit. 

Anyway, I'll post more around here. Oh, and I won $100 on a WA Gem 7's scratcher today as well, but...this is the CA thread so I'll leave it at that.

Pasadena, CA
            United States
            Member #153326
            March 13, 2014
            186 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2014, 1:25 am - IP Logged

I've always wanted to join, but hadn't until now. Thought I'd finally register and add a bit to this thread, even though I don't live in CA, I still travel there often enough to play.

Last week on the way to Santa Cruz for a buddy's wedding I had a plan to play the $5m scratcher, as not only is the prize bigger than here in the Portland area ($5m vs. $250k) but any time I've played it I at least made 50% of my money back. Upon entering Weed I picked up 2 $5M's and 1 Black gold along with about 5 crosswords for the wife. $20 winner on 1 of the $5M's and the black gold was $0. I don't care about the crosswords, they're like $2.

On to the next planned scratcher stop, Dunnigan. I had previously won $250 playing the $5 Monopoly the year before on a similar trip, so I thought WTH, why not? I bought 2 $5M's. I was pretty excited because I got 000 and 001. 000 being my long-time favorite on any game. Uuuuunfortunately the pregnant wife accompanying me called dibs on the 000 so I didn't even get to scratch the one I wanted!

BUST! Both cards racked up losses.

On to the wedding in Santa Cruz. With no more stops for tickets on the way down. 

In the hotel I signed up for the 2nd chance lottery (yes, I'm not a resident but still) and started entering tickets. I get to good ol' 000 and sure enough, red warning. I didn't even have to scratch it. I look over and say "nice, this is the second time you've missed a winner" and let her scratch it. $500. Yeahhhhh. So, instead of a loser, or a likely-to-be-thrown-away-if-not-for-second-chance lottery ticket - it was a pretty big winner (though, still not what I'm after!). Oh, and about the "Second time", she did the same thing with a $2 scratcher up here in Oregon and it was worth $100 because she forgot to scratch the bonus letters. Doh!

I play a lot, so really, $500 didn't get me too excited, in fact I'd seen my brother win $500 on this exact game. However, it's nice to come up ahead on this game after losing a few thousand over the course of a couple years on the $20's up here in OR/WA. I love that specific game and it's really too bad the states closest to me don't follow suit. 

Anyway, I'll post more around here. Oh, and I won $100 on a WA Gem 7's scratcher today as well, but...this is the CA thread so I'll leave it at that.

Congratulations on the win. So...do you and the wife split the $500?

Washougal
              United States
              Member #155590
              May 23, 2014
              3 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2014, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Congratulations on the win. So...do you and the wife split the $500?

Well, most of it went towards offsetting the cost of the trip. We did spend $140 on more tickets on the way back up, lost about $60. Normally, though, we don't split it, just buy more tickets, go shopping, whatever. 

Now, if that had been $5,000,000 I could safely say she'd want her half!

United States
                Member #155530
                May 21, 2014
                9 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2014, 3:01 am - IP Logged

Think about the ticket checking machines. It's checking scanned tickets against databases that list every losing and winning ticket in every game. Where are those databases? Does the lottery have access to it? How much security is built around their systems and around their physical servers? I've worked in the IT field for years and have seen enough incompetence. I've also had access to sensitive data and what is stopping me from copying those databases. There's plenty of motive for an employee or employees to collude with the other party too. I'm sure some have tried but we won't see that in the news...

United States
                  Member #155530
                  May 21, 2014
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2014, 4:41 am - IP Logged

Went on a little adventure...

Same CVS from 2 bins...
                  $20
                  #004: break even
                  #015: dud

Liquor 1
                  $20
                  #023: break even
                  #024: dud
                  CB
                  #003: dud
                  #004: dud

Liquor 2
                  $20
                  #022: dud
                  #023: dud
                  CB
                  #032: dud
                  #033: dud

Liquor 3
                  $20
                  #027: $100
                  #028: dud
                  Gold
                  #003: $15
                  #004: dud
                  CB
                  #016: dud
                  $10 Old LFL
                  #000: dud
                  #001: dud

Liquor 4
                  $20
                  #021:dud
                  #022: break even
                  Gold
                  #014: dud
                  CB
                  #044: dud
                  #045: $50 (first win all symbol)

6/24 wins 1:4
                  $340 in, $225 back
                  $115 hijacked

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2014, 10:31 am - IP Logged

You bring up an interesting point.  If the packs weren't activated by the time the customer service representative replied to green sandals, then I suppose there's another set of tracking/inventory control provided by the DSR's back to headquarters or regional district offices.  They might be required to keep an itemized daily activity log of each day's delivery on their route.  This might be more to ensure tickets don't go missing "mysteriously" or for investigative purposes if non-activated packs are stolen.

I've read about past misdeeds by various lotteries and their employees, but I don't think ours is rigged.

The ticket packs go through several different status as they make their way from warehouse to store:

Typical scratch info:
                    • Issued - A pack of instant tickets is in “issued” status if it has been assigned to a retailer but has not been confirmed through the retailer terminal. You may not sell or validate tickets from a pack in issued status.
                    • Confirmed - A pack of instant tickets is in “confirmed” status if the retailer has confirmed receipt of the tickets through the retailer terminal. You may not sell or validate tickets from a pack in confirmed status.
                    • Activated - A pack of instant tickets is in “activated” status if the retailer has activated the pack through the retailer terminal. You may sell and validate tickets from a pack in activated status.
                    • Settled - A pack of instant tickets is in “settled” status if it has been charged to your account. You may sell and validate tickets from a pack in settled status.

So yes, the computer system and database (run by GTECH) always knows the location of ticket packs in some form, whether allocated to a store or delivered to a store. But as far as who can access the entire database beyond simple inquiries, that is another question.

Things can go wrong sometimes, like UPS delivering tickets to a person's home by mistake:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/269463

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/252373

LA CA
                      United States
                      Member #118691
                      November 6, 2011
                      416 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2014, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Think about the ticket checking machines. It's checking scanned tickets against databases that list every losing and winning ticket in every game. Where are those databases? Does the lottery have access to it? How much security is built around their systems and around their physical servers? I've worked in the IT field for years and have seen enough incompetence. I've also had access to sensitive data and what is stopping me from copying those databases. There's plenty of motive for an employee or employees to collude with the other party too. I'm sure some have tried but we won't see that in the news...

I have always wondered the same..Been a software engineer for 22 years and I am amazed at the fast response these terminals and ticket checking scanners provide. Most likely being a government entity, I think security is lax for these servers and is easy to hack or just copy from the database.

Costa Mesa
                        United States
                        Member #150634
                        December 27, 2013
                        157 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2014, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Usually I don't post photos of $100 Ws, but I had 2 consecutive ones in CA Black Exc today, so I thought I would post them.

Simulated randomness. 

Thanks to all for congrats & GLTA

2 consecutive 100 Ws

United States
                          Member #155530
                          May 21, 2014
                          9 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2014, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

White Bounce

California
                            United States
                            Member #147209
                            September 25, 2013
                            90 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2014, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Nice draw there.  See that throws out so many theories for me.  The one thing that usually holds true for me though is when I am scratching and the ticket "bounces" which for me is when the numbers are all close to the actual winning numbers, I am holding a loser.  When I get say 15 as a winning number and I am scratching off: 16, 17, 14 and 13 I just get deflated before even finishing.  Rarely does it turn around.

Costa Mesa
                              United States
                              Member #150634
                              December 27, 2013
                              157 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2014, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Nice draw there.  See that throws out so many theories for me.  The one thing that usually holds true for me though is when I am scratching and the ticket "bounces" which for me is when the numbers are all close to the actual winning numbers, I am holding a loser.  When I get say 15 as a winning number and I am scratching off: 16, 17, 14 and 13 I just get deflated before even finishing.  Rarely does it turn around.

I feel the same about that as well as reverse numbers like 14 & 41.  I also was assuming immediately after a good W, there is probably a string of losers.

Simulated randomness.

Page 117 of 182