Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 180 of 182
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #147165
September 24, 2013
507 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2015, 1:52 am - IP Logged

So guy in the Bay area that hadn't played the lottery in 10 years wins 1 Million dollars after buying 2 $10 scratchers. Maybe I should follow his playing strategy and wait 10 years.

A good way to show self-restraint from playing a game where the odds are severely against the player? Sure.

A good way to win? Nope, the laws of probably are nearly the same if the tickets are bought a week apart let alone a decade. I highly doubt the person took a that long of a hiatus. Probably made it up as something interesting to say to the reporters. It is hard to overlook at the major improvements to the scratchers over the past few years. Also most people here agree that I only bought 1 or 2 tickets in my life (and at high denominations) stories are a load of BS. Cannot argue with the windfall the person got.

United States
    Member #147165
    September 24, 2013
    507 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2015, 2:00 am - IP Logged

I was not expecting it, but I really appreciate that you are sharing more of your outcome with more of these roll purchases Wowdidiwin

Sorry to hear your losses with the $30 games, the amount is not easy for most people in the low to middle class to stomach in a short span of play. To put things into perspective, it is one week's worth of labor/pay AFTER taxes to most people that play the lottery. DGinElMonte has shown us earlier in the thread  that it is possible for a roll to pay back just 30% of its value.

The most valuable part I got out of the report is that, each roll can have a rough stretches, where just 1 TICKET or small $40 win in a span of 7-8 tickets. Chasing a win can be more devastating at $30 apiece.

Two good things I can think of is that you do not have to worry about ticket hawks and you gain more entries into the second chance drawings.

Take it easy and play responsibly, good luck to you wowdidiwin.

United States
      Member #147165
      September 24, 2013
      507 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2015, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Bought 2 more of the 30th Anniversary games, won $40 (2 $20 spots) on one of the tickets #25. The ticket #26 was a loss.

Santa Barbara
        United States
        Member #154772
        April 28, 2014
        95 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2015, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

A good way to show self-restraint from playing a game where the odds are severely against the player? Sure.

A good way to win? Nope, the laws of probably are nearly the same if the tickets are bought a week apart let alone a decade. I highly doubt the person took a that long of a hiatus. Probably made it up as something interesting to say to the reporters. It is hard to overlook at the major improvements to the scratchers over the past few years. Also most people here agree that I only bought 1 or 2 tickets in my life (and at high denominations) stories are a load of BS. Cannot argue with the windfall the person got.

Well I think it's bad PR for the California Lottery to have a report that a infrequent lottery player won a jackpot. Especially when there are frequent players that support the "Lottery System" and never find a scratcher worth more than $100 or $500 in a Lifetime of playing.

Santa Barbara
          United States
          Member #154772
          April 28, 2014
          95 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2015, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I was not expecting it, but I really appreciate that you are sharing more of your outcome with more of these roll purchases Wowdidiwin

Sorry to hear your losses with the $30 games, the amount is not easy for most people in the low to middle class to stomach in a short span of play. To put things into perspective, it is one week's worth of labor/pay AFTER taxes to most people that play the lottery. DGinElMonte has shown us earlier in the thread  that it is possible for a roll to pay back just 30% of its value.

The most valuable part I got out of the report is that, each roll can have a rough stretches, where just 1 TICKET or small $40 win in a span of 7-8 tickets. Chasing a win can be more devastating at $30 apiece.

Two good things I can think of is that you do not have to worry about ticket hawks and you gain more entries into the second chance drawings.

Take it easy and play responsibly, good luck to you wowdidiwin.

Won't be playing the $30 scratcher which I find to be borderline criminal when you consider that the state lottery preys on the lower income populations.

United States
            Member #147165
            September 24, 2013
            507 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2015, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Well I think it's bad PR for the California Lottery to have a report that a infrequent lottery player won a jackpot. Especially when there are frequent players that support the "Lottery System" and never find a scratcher worth more than $100 or $500 in a Lifetime of playing.

I totally agree, the odds are so stacked above the $100 prize tier that it does not reward the frequent players with the big prizes. Despite the surge of sales from 2009-2012 from AB142, people are starting to realize it is not a winnable game no matter how much they play.

To see an infrequent player winning is just further insulting to the regular players thinking they will have a chance one day.

new york
              United States
              Member #63828
              August 9, 2008
              179 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2015, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm in NY but I would imagine it's the same in most states - when a person wins a jackpot prize in a lottery the lottery must report it to the media. Whether or not the winner is an infrequent player or not is besides the point. They are just advertising the fact that someone won the jackpot.

Believe me, I'm a very frequent player as well but I've never won more that a few hundred at a time and would love to win a huge jackpot but most of it is just pure luck...the person was in the right place at the right time.

Congratulations to the winner and maybe next time it will be one of us! Cheers

Pasadena, CA
                United States
                Member #153326
                March 13, 2014
                186 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2015, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm in NY but I would imagine it's the same in most states - when a person wins a jackpot prize in a lottery the lottery must report it to the media. Whether or not the winner is an infrequent player or not is besides the point. They are just advertising the fact that someone won the jackpot.

Believe me, I'm a very frequent player as well but I've never won more that a few hundred at a time and would love to win a huge jackpot but most of it is just pure luck...the person was in the right place at the right time.

Ralphie, the jackpot winners in this state have the option to remain anonymous. The top prize list is updated daily, but the Lottery need not report the winner or where the ticket was sold, although there are notable exceptions which can easily be found on the site. In any event, finding a winning Scratcher over $100 is incredibly hard to find and in my 16 years of playing, has only happened to me three times.

new york
                  United States
                  Member #63828
                  August 9, 2008
                  179 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2015, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Ralphie, the jackpot winners in this state have the option to remain anonymous. The top prize list is updated daily, but the Lottery need not report the winner or where the ticket was sold, although there are notable exceptions which can easily be found on the site. In any event, finding a winning Scratcher over $100 is incredibly hard to find and in my 16 years of playing, has only happened to me three times.

Thanks for the update, ChaCha! I would have thought that California, along with NY would be one of the states that required their winners to reveal themselves in public in order to claim their prize. I wish NY had a similar policy!

I'm sorry to hear about your luck with the scratch-offs. It isn't easy but know that better luck has to be on the way! Three wins of only $100.00 in sixteen years pretty much indicates that the tides have to turn soon and a huge win is on the way!

Don't give up!Cheers

Pasadena, CA
                    United States
                    Member #153326
                    March 13, 2014
                    186 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2015, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the update, ChaCha! I would have thought that California, along with NY would be one of the states that required their winners to reveal themselves in public in order to claim their prize. I wish NY had a similar policy!

I'm sorry to hear about your luck with the scratch-offs. It isn't easy but know that better luck has to be on the way! Three wins of only $100.00 in sixteen years pretty much indicates that the tides have to turn soon and a huge win is on the way!

Don't give up!Cheers

No, three wins of over $100. $200 twice and $1,000. $100 wins are common. Anything above that is a real crapshoot. But thanks for the good wishes and same to you. Smile

Los Angeles
                      United States
                      Member #152438
                      February 15, 2014
                      19 Posts
                      Posted: September 3, 2015, 6:51 am - IP Logged

Totally agree!

But this is a great recruitment story/tool for the calotto to inspire casual players to buy a scratcher here and there... A little here, a little there, a little everywhere... Equals a lot more sales for the dealer...

Santa Barbara
                        United States
                        Member #154772
                        April 28, 2014
                        95 Posts
                        Posted: September 3, 2015, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

A point of clarification. My original post had nothing to with the state requirement to report the winner to the media. The story came from an interview the winner gave to the local TV news media it wasn't the media reporting a California Lottery press release. Winners aren't required to give interviews after winning.

Santa Barbara
                          United States
                          Member #154772
                          April 28, 2014
                          95 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2015, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Totally agree!

But this is a great recruitment story/tool for the calotto to inspire casual players to buy a scratcher here and there... A little here, a little there, a little everywhere... Equals a lot more sales for the dealer...

The lottery depends on frequent players not infrequent players.  Again we all know the lottery preys on the lower income levels for support. And they walk a very very thin line when it comes to compulsive gambling.  Bottom line though the lottery doesn't reward frequent players.  Instead of being a weekly player as I was in 2014 my play level in 2015 has dropped to every couple of weeks.  Next year it will be monthly which only mean less lottery revenue collected from this California resident. Again I say that story was bad PR for the Lottery because my play/revenue will decrea$e.

United States
                            Member #147165
                            September 24, 2013
                            507 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2015, 2:55 am - IP Logged

Last week I bought 2 more 30th Anniversary tickets, #11 and #12, both were TICKET prizes so I immediately redeemed them for #13 and #14 which was a dud and a $50 winner.

Today I bought 2 more and finally won this time

Ticket #23 was for $50 (single number match) but when scratching off #24, I was thrilled to see the CALottery logo for the Win All prize. I added it up to $400. Have not won $100 in a very long time.

Win ALL

Pasadena, CA
                              United States
                              Member #153326
                              March 13, 2014
                              186 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2015, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Last week I bought 2 more 30th Anniversary tickets, #11 and #12, both were TICKET prizes so I immediately redeemed them for #13 and #14 which was a dud and a $50 winner.

Today I bought 2 more and finally won this time

Ticket #23 was for $50 (single number match) but when scratching off #24, I was thrilled to see the CALottery logo for the Win All prize. I added it up to $400. Have not won $100 in a very long time.

Win ALL

Well done, man. You going to pocket your winnings or buy more tix?

Page 180 of 182