Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 4 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2012, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Hey Jon D,

So, I've bought books and I've bought random tickets from several stores but am still not producing winning results...Do you have any strategies that work? If you don't feel comfortable sharing, it's all good.................Or is it all about luck? I hope not

Unfortunately, I have no winning strategies to share. I don't believe there are any.

But there are lots of people that will try to sell you scratch ticket strategy. Most of what has been said is common sense stuff like buy a bunch at a time, and go to high traffic stores, etc. If you are already doing that, you'll get some decent wins eventually. It's not *purely* luck, but you can only try and minimize your losses on the way to a big win, but cannot guarantee one.

Look at the odds of each game: you may have to buy a few thousand $5 tickets before you ever see a $500 win, or tens of thousands for higher prizes....unless you get lucky early. Also, look at the map I made above that shows how few stores even see just one big prize over $5000 in a given year.

Just play at a level you are comfortable with and don't try to force a win, you'll only pss yourself off...

San Diego
    United States
    Member #132745
    September 11, 2012
    35 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2012, 3:17 am - IP Logged

can't believe there is no predecessor to Set For Life scratcher, seem like these lottery officials are pretty stingy unlike other states.

LA CA
      United States
      Member #118691
      November 6, 2011
      416 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2012, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

can't believe there is no predecessor to Set For Life scratcher, seem like these lottery officials are pretty stingy unlike other states.

sorry not sure what you mean by a predecessor to SFL. Can you explain?

LA CA
        United States
        Member #118691
        November 6, 2011
        416 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2012, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Dropped by at a gas station in Tarzana last night around 9 pm to grab a few scratchers.. But the guy at counter said they stop lottery sales after 8 pm..whatever :-(

San Diego
          United States
          Member #132745
          September 11, 2012
          35 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2012, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

LOL, my bad I meant successor.

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: September 29, 2012, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Lets hope they don't release Set for Life again in the previous form. That game has such lousy payouts/return on the lower tiers, you lose so much more money than on other $5 games. Typically less than 40% return most of the time in actual play, whereas other games will give you about 65% return.

At least they finally tried to catch up a tiny bit with other states by adding $10 games last year, they have a whopping two $10 games now. Maybe they might do more $10 games with an annuity option, or add $20 games later as well.

The newest $5 games have slightly better return than before. Just hit a $100 on Monopoly after a few days of play, so I'm up on that game.

LA CA
              United States
              Member #118691
              November 6, 2011
              416 Posts
              Posted: September 30, 2012, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Lets hope they don't release Set for Life again in the previous form. That game has such lousy payouts/return on the lower tiers, you lose so much more money than on other $5 games. Typically less than 40% return most of the time in actual play, whereas other games will give you about 65% return.

At least they finally tried to catch up a tiny bit with other states by adding $10 games last year, they have a whopping two $10 games now. Maybe they might do more $10 games with an annuity option, or add $20 games later as well.

The newest $5 games have slightly better return than before. Just hit a $100 on Monopoly after a few days of play, so I'm up on that game.

I stopped playing STF because of low payout...agree so much with you..

LA CA
                United States
                Member #118691
                November 6, 2011
                416 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2012, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Just got 2 $10 Fortunes from a CVS vending maching in Sherman Oaks. ... Nothing on first but got a 20X ($1) on the second one..broken even ..LOL !!

LA CA
                  United States
                  Member #118691
                  November 6, 2011
                  416 Posts
                  Posted: September 30, 2012, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Got 4 $10 Fortunes from a Studio City liquor store. The lady just opened a new stack of Fortunes...She said she starts from last one so I got 49,48,47 and 46. I haven't scratched it so far..will keep u posted ..:-) Wish me luck..

LA CA
                    United States
                    Member #118691
                    November 6, 2011
                    416 Posts
                    Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

46,47 were losers. 48 and 49 yielded $20 each...48 had 4 $5 matches and the 49th had 20x($1)...so i got my money back :-)

LA CA
                      United States
                      Member #118691
                      November 6, 2011
                      416 Posts
                      Posted: October 2, 2012, 12:38 am - IP Logged

what a disaster... got 4 $10 Fortunes from Hollywood 7-11 and turned out to be duds....lost $40.

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: October 3, 2012, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Here's a double $50 Fast Spot for $100 total win on $5 Monopoly. Looking for $200 Go symbol next.

Still finding lots of stores not carrying this game yet, get with the program!

Monopoly

Olney, MD
                          United States
                          Member #121536
                          January 11, 2012
                          452 Posts
                          Posted: October 3, 2012, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Here's a double $50 Fast Spot for $100 total win on $5 Monopoly. Looking for $200 Go symbol next.

Still finding lots of stores not carrying this game yet, get with the program!

Monopoly

Nice win!  I like the $5 and $3 tickets the best I think and I will be playing them and avoiding higher priced tickets from now on.  Winning $50 or $100 on $5 or less tickets is so much more satisfying, and the losses add up much less quickly.

Oakland, CA
                            United States
                            Member #133665
                            October 5, 2012
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2012, 2:10 am - IP Logged

Where did all the Hot Streaks and California Blacks go?

I'm in the SF Bay Area and in the past couple weeks I suddenly can't find Hot Streaks ANYWHERE, and Blacks are really hard to find. Neither are on the end of game lists.

Hot Streaks have been my favorite game for the past year or so -- it seems to pay out the best of any game. My friend who plays 10-15 tickets a day won $5k on Hot Streak (in Hayward). I've won $200 on the game, and I only play a 10-20 tickets a week. I think they took them out of supply because they were paying too much!

When hot Streaks started dissapearing, I played California Black. They didn't pay as much as HS, but were stil pretty good. Today the only thing I could find were Black Pearls, which are really annoying becuase the numbers are too high. It's easy to miss a winner. Any case, I got 10 and won $45... nothing special.

So far the Monopoly game seems like a total bust.

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #103813
                              January 5, 2011
                              1530 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2012, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Hot Streak came out in January so it is due to be pulled. Games typically run about 9 months. Could very well be pulled even with lots of prizes (9 of 20) still remaining, that is also typical.

Calif Black came out in March, but that was a hot seller so it may stick around a bit more. I still see it everywhere. Those big $250,000 top prize $5 games are much worse for typical return on medium prizes in order to help fund the top prize, so you'll lose more on those.

Black Pearls is the equivalent game to Hot Streak, as far as prize tier odds, so you may like that one. But always double check with ticket scanners or with 2nd chance replay entry on your computer. If you got $45 back on $50 in tickets, that's good! Overall return is 70.42% so you got 90% back, that's a good day in my book.

I like Monopoly game so far, even though the odds are not great. Triple 777 is a good one as far as overall odds, and the easiest and quickest to determine a winner.(I like the easy ones, can't stand crossword games)

Page 4 of 182