Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 87 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #147209
September 25, 2013
90 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2014, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Good info. Just curious how much do u spend on scratchers everyday and how much % is that of your monthly income?

I usually go between $20-$40/day about 5 days a week.  I buy only $10 tickets because the other ones frustrate me.  I can't be 100% accurate because my math isn't a strong point but if I took the weekly total, it's probably between 1/2-1% of the monthly income.

Sometimes when I drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara, I will stop at a few places for fun and buy more but I try not to go too crazy because my significant other would assassinate me in my sleep. 

The most I have ever purchased in a day is $100.  I was given a brick of $1,000,000 to entertain me on a business trip by my girlfriend and while it was fun, the return was around $300-$350 if I recall.

LA CA
    United States
    Member #118691
    November 6, 2011
    416 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2014, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I usually go between $20-$40/day about 5 days a week.  I buy only $10 tickets because the other ones frustrate me.  I can't be 100% accurate because my math isn't a strong point but if I took the weekly total, it's probably between 1/2-1% of the monthly income.

Sometimes when I drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara, I will stop at a few places for fun and buy more but I try not to go too crazy because my significant other would assassinate me in my sleep. 

The most I have ever purchased in a day is $100.  I was given a brick of $1,000,000 to entertain me on a business trip by my girlfriend and while it was fun, the return was around $300-$350 if I recall.

wow....lets assume $30 a day = $150 per week which is 1% of your monthly income..your monthly income is $15,000 !!!!!!

California
      United States
      Member #147209
      September 25, 2013
      90 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2014, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

wow....lets assume $30 a day = $150 per week which is 1% of your monthly income..your monthly income is $15,000 !!!!!!

Your math skills makes mine look like 3rd grade.  Always my worst subject.  Thank God for calculators.  It's between 1/2 and 1% then for sure. 

It's not cheap living in Orange County.

United States
        Member #149104
        November 20, 2013
        3 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2014, 2:06 am - IP Logged

You're making $180k per year and buying scratch offs?

Just sayin.

LA CA
          United States
          Member #118691
          November 6, 2011
          416 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2014, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Got 2 $5 LFL and 1 $10 Diamond.....Lost LFL and won $15 on the Diamond. The $5 LFLs are such a waste of money (until you hit the JP).

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2014, 10:03 am - IP Logged

You're making $180k per year and buying scratch offs?

Just sayin.

If you're a retired OC lifeguard, easily:

http://www.ocregister.com/orangepunch/lifeguards-490717-beach-newport.html

United States
              Member #147165
              September 24, 2013
              507 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2014, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Cannot think of it that way. In that perspective it will only be valid if EVERY ticket you bought were losers. In the long run you win sometimes out of all the losing tickets, so there will be a 60% ROI on average and 40% will be the average loss granted you do not win a high tier prize.

$30 a day for 5 days = $150 a week

Average win at 60% = $90 a week, so it will cost about $60 a week

$60 a week for 52 weeks is $3120 a year which is reasonable for most avid players.

LA CA
                United States
                Member #118691
                November 6, 2011
                416 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2014, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Cannot think of it that way. In that perspective it will only be valid if EVERY ticket you bought were losers. In the long run you win sometimes out of all the losing tickets, so there will be a 60% ROI on average and 40% will be the average loss granted you do not win a high tier prize.

$30 a day for 5 days = $150 a week

Average win at 60% = $90 a week, so it will cost about $60 a week

$60 a week for 52 weeks is $3120 a year which is reasonable for most avid players.

Good points.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                  Jacksonville Florida
                  United States
                  Member #23018
                  October 6, 2005
                  915 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2014, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's unreal. Here in N. Florida we volunteer for lifeguard assignment...

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2014, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's unreal. Here in N. Florida we volunteer for lifeguard assignment...

Yep. For some government jobs, just *getting* the job is like winning the lottery! Confused

Like that one lifeguard they mentioned:

He retired at age 51, with a $108,000/year pension for life!

That's just like one of them Set for Life Scratchers we had a while back, $100,000/yr for life. But that was capped at 20 years as life.($2M total) The lifeguard is *truly* for life, so could be $3M or more.

California
                      United States
                      Member #147209
                      September 25, 2013
                      90 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2014, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I think how people manage their money is as important as how much they make.  I know some people who are great on paper when you look at their income but they have nothing to show for it.  I know others who may make $50k a year but own a home and have equity and are doing well. 

I bought I 6 scratchers today.  3 Gold and 3 LFL.  Came out with a Ticket and $15.  Everytime I buy in Orange or Santa Ana it's the same thing. 

I like going out though and enjoying the day and trying different places.

LA CA
                        United States
                        Member #118691
                        November 6, 2011
                        416 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2014, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I went to visit Devils Punchbowl in Pearblossom and had a good time. Driving back I went to a small gas station in Pearblossom and got 2 Diamond's and 1 Gold..all turned out to be losers.

coolac5's avatar - 1 Million-Fortune_event_page.jpg
                          Oakland, CA
                          United States
                          Member #138260
                          January 23, 2013
                          42 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2014, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Been picking up a bunch of $3 Orange TC the past two weeks -- and the return has actually been quite good.  Got 7 words (1 in 300+) for a payout of $50 - that was two weeks ago.  Then last week I hit $15 on a triple word.  Last night, $20 on 5 words!!  I found my $50 winner was #80 -- seems like I am getting better returns on tickets numbered higher or lower...versus in the 30's and 40's.  I also try and pick up 2-3 at a time to "run the roll" per say.  I always scratch at home though, I do not want the clerk or any locals to gain inside information ;)

CA
                            United States
                            Member #141455
                            April 14, 2013
                            182 Posts
                            Posted: March 11, 2014, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Been picking up a bunch of $3 Orange TC the past two weeks -- and the return has actually been quite good.  Got 7 words (1 in 300+) for a payout of $50 - that was two weeks ago.  Then last week I hit $15 on a triple word.  Last night, $20 on 5 words!!  I found my $50 winner was #80 -- seems like I am getting better returns on tickets numbered higher or lower...versus in the 30's and 40's.  I also try and pick up 2-3 at a time to "run the roll" per say.  I always scratch at home though, I do not want the clerk or any locals to gain inside information ;)

sounds like fun coolac5 - my fav liquor store where I get my snadwiches have been giving me not great results on the $5 $10 and the $20 so I like playing the $3 and lower scratchers ... so I will get me some orange TC ...

on a side note, I have bought several 000 and 029 tickets on the $20 scratchers with $0 returns ...

has anyone else found these results?

$20 - 5 Million Jackpot $100 (#23) $50 (#29)
                            $10 - Cali Gold $500 (#45) // Lucky for Life $50 // Diamond Million $50 (#18) // 20X Crosswords $100 (#32,#24,#14) $75 (#13)
                            $05 - Lucky for Life $40 // Fortune 55 $50 // WinItAll $500 // MegaXWord $100
                            $03 - 10x The Money $100 (#63) $50 (#58) || $02 - Season's Gold $100

California
                              United States
                              Member #147209
                              September 25, 2013
                              90 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2014, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I have always wondered what cities in Orange County are the ones where the most winners come from?  I have come to the conclusion that in my region, 7-11 sucks for winners but I see that there are a lot of other cities where winners have come from 7-11. 

It's also interesting that some retailers I talk to have never had anything more than a $100 winner and others seem to routinely get $500+ people.  Could just be volume.

Page 87 of 182