Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

Topic closed. 191 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it is immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

It is immoral [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
It is not immoral. [ 30 ]  [78.95%]
It's moral! (Either to work or to work if you won) [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  

United States
Member #135804
November 29, 2012
318 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2013, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Also, describe what belief you base your choice on. #2 can include those that do not believe anything can be intrinsically moral or immoral. I know #2 would include all the cases of #3, but wanted to separate those ideas; maybe I should have made #2, "It is not immoral, but it's not moral either."

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #61435
    May 22, 2008
    908 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2013, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

I think when I win enough to not work I will work for myself and create jobs for others.  That's my vision.....

But morally.....I think to each their own, if they want to work but don't need to so what.....we do still live in a "free country" don't we, lol.......

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
      East of Columbus, OH
      United States
      Member #120843
      December 28, 2011
      451 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2013, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

At this point, I believe that I will not work anywhere.  I won't need the money and I won't want to be tied down to a schedule if I want to just take off and go somewhere.

It is immoral not to work if you are able and to rely on handouts from other people for your well being.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

At this point, I believe that I will not work anywhere.  I won't need the money and I won't want to be tied down to a schedule if I want to just take off and go somewhere.

It is immoral not to work if you are able and to rely on handouts from other people for your well being.

I don't think the word Moral should be used in this instance.  If that were the case- a point could be made whether playing altogether is immoral.
        Its a personal decision as to whether one wants to quit or not. Now if one was a lousy worker,  did not get along well with othes,  had an me first attitude about everything,  by all means: Quit.l don't think anyone would miss you.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
          East of Columbus, OH
          United States
          Member #120843
          December 28, 2011
          451 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2013, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I don't think the word Moral should be used in this instance.  If that were the case- a point could be made whether playing altogether is immoral.
          Its a personal decision as to whether one wants to quit or not. Now if one was a lousy worker,  did not get along well with othes,  had an me first attitude about everything,  by all means: Quit.l don't think anyone would miss you.

I see your point. 

There are just too many people that are capable of working that don't.  If immoral doesn't fit, what does?  I couldn't think of another descriptor.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2013, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Its just more of a choice rather than moral or immoral...I would have a boss again if I won a whole lot of money but down the road I may decide to open my own establishment and be someone else's boss

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Seriously, how could it ever be immoral to work??

United States
                Member #135804
                November 29, 2012
                318 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Seriously, how could it ever be immoral to work??

Taking a position that would go to someone more needy with a family to feed. Spending your waking hours making a pittance compared to what your capital gains income is while doing so and as a result, not using your waking hours on something else (such as creating jobs, researching some new cure, or volunteering).

Not my opinion, but that's something that I have thought about [I didn't even want to post this as I feel it can taint opinion].

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Taking a position that would go to someone more needy with a family to feed. Spending your waking hours making a pittance compared to what your capital gains income is while doing so and as a result, not using your waking hours on something else (such as creating jobs, researching some new cure, or volunteering).

Not my opinion, but that's something that I have thought about [I didn't even want to post this as I feel it can taint opinion].

I think you have to define working.  Is it flipping burgers at McDonalds or owning your own business??  I happen to own my business I work basically everyday I would continue to work.  Anyway you look at working it is never immoral to work and anyone that wants to work should continue to do so.  What is immoral are those that should work but have no desire to work.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                    Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                    United States
                    Member #50210
                    March 1, 2007
                    843 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2013, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I think you have to define working.  Is it flipping burgers at McDonalds or owning your own business??  I happen to own my business I work basically everyday I would continue to work.  Anyway you look at working it is never immoral to work and anyone that wants to work should continue to do so.  What is immoral are those that should work but have no desire to work.

Saylorgirl-I completely agree with you! The world is filled with individuals who love to work even though they have no need to do so.

Many are in their 70's and 80's and just have no desire to stop and this includes many billionaires.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2013, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Also, describe what belief you base your choice on. #2 can include those that do not believe anything can be intrinsically moral or immoral. I know #2 would include all the cases of #3, but wanted to separate those ideas; maybe I should have made #2, "It is not immoral, but it's not moral either."

I figure I need to clear 3MILs to retire right away since that is the amount I will earn if I work til I die,

certainly not enough for big parties, travel, cars, investments ETC.

@ that figure I might still work some jobs just to earn $6000 per year, the amount I'm allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA,

that amount must be earned to qualify.

Moral/Immoral ? don't know. But in basic fairness I would say for me any amount above 10 MILS.

I should not be working a job that someone else could do.

Much larger amounts require a whole different way of thinking, like charities, how to help w/social problems ETC.

I discarded the vote.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2013, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, I think this question/poll is invalid, because you define "something else" (such as creating jobs, researching some new cure, or volunteering) as other than work.

That stuff IS work.

It is not ever immoral to work.

It IS immoral to be a sloth, to NOT work, to lay around and indulge in gluttony.

Even if you have a ton of money, successful people will find things to do, to keep busy, work on charities, business ventures, etc. Not just lounge around all the time.

United States
                          Member #135804
                          November 29, 2012
                          318 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, I think this question/poll is invalid, because you define "something else" (such as creating jobs, researching some new cure, or volunteering) as other than work.

That stuff IS work.

It is not ever immoral to work.

It IS immoral to be a sloth, to NOT work, to lay around and indulge in gluttony.

Even if you have a ton of money, successful people will find things to do, to keep busy, work on charities, business ventures, etc. Not just lounge around all the time.

No, because you've broadened the definition of work outside of what I implied in the original post by saying "if you won enough to not work." Should I include breathing? Because that's expending energy to displace matter - work in physics?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

To be perfectly candid, I'd do whatever I felt like doing at the time and couldn't care less what anybody thought about it.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19840 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I think older people is supposed to relax and enjoy their life at a certain age that's why they call it retire.Hat

Let it Snow Snowman

Page 1 of 13