Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

Topic closed. 191 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 5 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it is immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

It is immoral [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
It is not immoral. [ 30 ]  [78.95%]
It's moral! (Either to work or to work if you won) [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Immoral is a little harsh. I would prefer to call it a little selfishness. Here's why. There are many good people with no criminal records and with talent and enthusiasm who would do the job that a non technocrat does. Now if that non-technocrat decides to keep the job after winning a huge jp then it means the unemployed man would not get that job. I would call that a little selfish.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
    Member #124493
    March 14, 2012
    7023 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Immoral is a little harsh. I would prefer to call it a little selfishness. Here's why. There are many good people with no criminal records and with talent and enthusiasm who would do the job that a non technocrat does. Now if that non-technocrat decides to keep the job after winning a huge jp then it means the unemployed man would not get that job. I would call that a little selfish.

If you need a job, I think McDonalds is hiring. Why do you want to take mine? I like my job.  Just because I am filthy rich, does that mean I want to sit on the couch all day eating ring-dings and drinking schlitz like a slob?

Just because I hit the Jackpot, does that mean I am required to sail all day everyday on luxury cruises?

Why do I have to hit the Jackpot AND give you my job?

Get some employment skills. If you cant get them then maybe

get some lottery skills.

Jack-in-the-Box

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Show us that freedom, get yourself off the grid, or do you have a solar powered computor?

Merry Christmas to you too.

I'm 1/2 way there.  I've reduced my utility bills to 1/2. AND incerased my lifestyle. Energy efficiency. Now find a way to. Get my net zero place. Many people have. In fact on another dissusion board, somebdy contacted me that they have solar and 2 Nissan Leafs. (too short of a range,IMO) 

Right now, getting off the grid is for either people with much more money than I have.  Or they do it a way that requires a TON of work. (gathering logs etc)

That is what I want to do if I got a ton of money. Build a company that works VERY hard to make it affordable for the everyday man to do it too. One idea is to create a BETTER mobile home. I would build it out of Structual Insulated Panels, Natural light and solar. Same idea would apply to a great modular home. If you build only net zero, you improve the results.  I see no reason why you can't make a place as afforable as rent.  If you have no heating bills, no electric bills and apply it to the place, it becomes your place.

Give me the right opportunity, I can do ANYTHING.  I've proved people wrong many times.

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Yo Coin toss, seems like I remember this,

OTOH seems like I just think I do, how long has it been ?

Another comment from the chicken coward conservative section. Down on his knees facing the Koch Brothers. You must have a nose ring and chain. FREE YOURSELF! Be a big boy. Many people have done it already. They are out there. Meanwhile you stay on the same old treadmill.

Here is a hint google "Ballard House". Zero energy bills, now COLLECTING money from the utility.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

If you need a job, I think McDonalds is hiring. Why do you want to take mine? I like my job.  Just because I am filthy rich, does that mean I want to sit on the couch all day eating ring-dings and drinking schlitz like a slob?

Just because I hit the Jackpot, does that mean I am required to sail all day everyday on luxury cruises?

Why do I have to hit the Jackpot AND give you my job?

Get some employment skills. If you cant get them then maybe

get some lottery skills.

Jack-in-the-Box

You're not very smart. I think I have told you this before. Oh well, there's lots of your type in LP.

That money's gone fo ever

Milwaukee, WI
            United States
            Member #3131
            December 27, 2003
            665 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

No one wants to take the rap as the one who pushed for its construction should there be a disaster.

That's the problem.  No one wants to take the chance.  WTF happened to Amercia?  In today's climate, there's no way we'd ever land another man on the moon, something bad might happen. 

Landing on the mood is old hat.  Elon Musk and SpaceX.  They are looking past the moon and looking towards Mars. He wants to land on Mars. AND have a place up there.

Milwaukee, WI
              United States
              Member #3131
              December 27, 2003
              665 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Please elaborate on this plan.  It sounds like you don't like rich people and you want to go back to the 1870's with no electric or gasoline.

Coal burns cleaner now than ever before.  If we had more refineries, gas prices would be lower.  We have enough shale oil to last over 100 years, same with natural gas.  If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great.  It's the tree huggers that won't let us use the resources that God/nature has provided.

You are too confuzed....

Oh, so easy.

----Please elaborate on this plan.

NET ZERO living, all is available NOW, RIGHT OFF THE SHELF. All that we have to do is make it chheaper.  Ballard House got completed for $125 per SQFT.

Technology has exisisted since the 70's.  Zero energy costs.  10 degrees on the outside. 70 on the inside. 88 degree swimming pool. been done before. More to come from your ramblings.... 1st comes conservation, then production.  It's all there, right off the shelf.

------It sounds like you don't like rich people

Hmmmmm

Elon Musk...... ~6 billion.... Space Flight, Electric Cars, Solar energy

Howard Buffet Multi billionaire  unsnobby, agree with him 95% of the time. lives in the same house over 60 years. 

Howard Buffet JR  multi billionaire  rich goes out and cares about other people.

The Gates Foundation Bill Gates.  Works for charity. Fantastic!  I ran from the M$FT Bill Gates  13 years M$FT free they said I coudn't, I did...

And maybe Oprah and Tom Steyers.....

OH, BTW, Barack Obama has $14 million..... How muc do you have????

-------you want to go back to the 1870's with no electric or gasoline

Electric almost everything.

Solar/wind etc to---

Electric cars, electric stoves, electric lights, electric/solar water heating etc etc...

Sit back on a comfortable chair, with a nice beverage watching TV.  Just do it more efficiently....

----- Coal burns cleaner now than ever before.

Polluted ground water. High cancer rates in mining areas, you don't care about dead people. Blown up mountains. Left over coal ash. Coal has to be transported. Can't have a coal power plant in my back yard. I have to rely on power to be delivered to me. Say wide area power outage.

------ If we had more refineries, gas prices would be lower.

Still a TON of cost in drilling/refining/delivering.  THOUSANDS of oil spills. Oil and Water don't mix. Who needs water? Drink oil......

-----We have enough shale oil to last over 100 years  Headline Oct 17th 2013: Koch-Owned Tar Sands waste piles up in chicago.  In Detroit they forced  them  to get rid of the pet coke. Same problem. Mining, refining, transport. Read Arkansas oil spill, Kalamazoo RIVER oil spill etc tec. WHO NEEDS WATER? 

A solar Energy spill is called a Beautiful Day!!!!!!

----------to last over 100 years

Oh my gosh.... When is the sun going to stop shining? When is the wind going to stop shining? When is the big fire in the earth going to go out? OH btw, enough solar energy lands on the Earth to power the planet for a year. More solar energy lands on the earth in a month than ALL the fossil fuels EVER burned since Adam And Eve...

Save oil for chemical uses.....

-----If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great. 

Power still has to be delivered. Power outage.....  From Wisconsin  Kewaunee Nuclear plant to shutdown after 40 years.  Cost to shutdown nearly $1 BILLION.

-----the resources that God/nature has provided.

Like the sun? Who gave that to us? Thank you God. Who gave us the wind. Why go 2,000 miles when there is energy  right outside the door.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the Earth.....  So let's destroy what God has given us.  We DO have to use part of it, but minimizing damage is the best way...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: December 6, 2013, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Another comment from the chicken coward conservative section. Down on his knees facing the Koch Brothers. You must have a nose ring and chain. FREE YOURSELF! Be a big boy. Many people have done it already. They are out there. Meanwhile you stay on the same old treadmill.

Here is a hint google "Ballard House". Zero energy bills, now COLLECTING money from the utility.

This relates to the post you quoted to post it as much as billonairre2bee's posts in this thread relate to his sig.

WT2 are you talking about?

LottoBoner,

"Why do I have to hit the Jackpot AND give you my job?"

KARMA, before it kicks you solidly in the cajones.

Not me, but free the job up for someone.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 6, 2013, 4:20 am - IP Logged

Absolutely I remember.  But there are over 180 nuclear power plants in Europe that run without any problems.  I fully believe that if the Europeans can run them with no problems, that we can as well. 

That is one plant and accidents can happen.  Why should we be afraid of the risks?

"Why should we be afraid of the risks?"

I can only assume that means that you have no clue what those risks are.

As for the 180 nukes in Europe, I guess you don't think it's a problem to spill 20,000 tons of Uranium, 160 pounds of plutonium, or to have piles of plutonium catch fire?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: December 6, 2013, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Landing on the mood is old hat.  Elon Musk and SpaceX.  They are looking past the moon and looking towards Mars. He wants to land on Mars. AND have a place up there.

Elon Musk is Da Man! Thumbs Up

Great example of a multi-Billionaire, more money than any lottery winner will ever have, who continues to WORK his tail off and PRODUCE great products and services.

Cali loves him.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

As for the 180 nukes in Europe, I guess you don't think it's a problem to spill 20,000 tons of Uranium, 160 pounds of plutonium, or to have piles of plutonium catch fire?

Yeah, be afraid, be very afraid.

I don't believe in extremism on either side: Go nuculer or No nuclear.

Bottom line: it has to outweight the risks. The risks of old technology is too great. They're still colling down Fukushima more than 2 years later, with nearly half a billion tons of radioactive water in above graound storage and still leaking into the sea each day!

A regular power plant, what's the worst could happen: an explosion, and some localized damage that can be easily fixed. Nuclear: a meltdown, spreading radiation for miles, making the surrounding area uninhabitable for generations. Uhhh...slightly more risk I'd say.

Any new nuclear plants MUST be passive safety technology, requiring no active cooling to truly shut down like most all of the ones in operation today require.

I'm all for building newer passive safety nuclear plants. Just Not In My Back Yard.(NIMBY) Wink

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2013, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

markp1950,

In your post that I questioned you quoted haymaker and I talking about an archived thread that really didn;t have a thing to do with your reposnse to it.

I think you just quoted the wrong post.

C'est la vie.

PS,

I can't wait to see you post this in a thread about jackpots:

"I don't need much more to live better."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

East of Columbus, OH
                          United States
                          Member #120843
                          December 28, 2011
                          447 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2013, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

You are too confuzed....

Oh, so easy.

----Please elaborate on this plan.

NET ZERO living, all is available NOW, RIGHT OFF THE SHELF. All that we have to do is make it chheaper.  Ballard House got completed for $125 per SQFT.

Technology has exisisted since the 70's.  Zero energy costs.  10 degrees on the outside. 70 on the inside. 88 degree swimming pool. been done before. More to come from your ramblings.... 1st comes conservation, then production.  It's all there, right off the shelf.

------It sounds like you don't like rich people

Hmmmmm

Elon Musk...... ~6 billion.... Space Flight, Electric Cars, Solar energy

Howard Buffet Multi billionaire  unsnobby, agree with him 95% of the time. lives in the same house over 60 years. 

Howard Buffet JR  multi billionaire  rich goes out and cares about other people.

The Gates Foundation Bill Gates.  Works for charity. Fantastic!  I ran from the M$FT Bill Gates  13 years M$FT free they said I coudn't, I did...

And maybe Oprah and Tom Steyers.....

OH, BTW, Barack Obama has $14 million..... How muc do you have????

-------you want to go back to the 1870's with no electric or gasoline

Electric almost everything.

Solar/wind etc to---

Electric cars, electric stoves, electric lights, electric/solar water heating etc etc...

Sit back on a comfortable chair, with a nice beverage watching TV.  Just do it more efficiently....

----- Coal burns cleaner now than ever before.

Polluted ground water. High cancer rates in mining areas, you don't care about dead people. Blown up mountains. Left over coal ash. Coal has to be transported. Can't have a coal power plant in my back yard. I have to rely on power to be delivered to me. Say wide area power outage.

------ If we had more refineries, gas prices would be lower.

Still a TON of cost in drilling/refining/delivering.  THOUSANDS of oil spills. Oil and Water don't mix. Who needs water? Drink oil......

-----We have enough shale oil to last over 100 years  Headline Oct 17th 2013: Koch-Owned Tar Sands waste piles up in chicago.  In Detroit they forced  them  to get rid of the pet coke. Same problem. Mining, refining, transport. Read Arkansas oil spill, Kalamazoo RIVER oil spill etc tec. WHO NEEDS WATER? 

A solar Energy spill is called a Beautiful Day!!!!!!

----------to last over 100 years

Oh my gosh.... When is the sun going to stop shining? When is the wind going to stop shining? When is the big fire in the earth going to go out? OH btw, enough solar energy lands on the Earth to power the planet for a year. More solar energy lands on the earth in a month than ALL the fossil fuels EVER burned since Adam And Eve...

Save oil for chemical uses.....

-----If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great. 

Power still has to be delivered. Power outage.....  From Wisconsin  Kewaunee Nuclear plant to shutdown after 40 years.  Cost to shutdown nearly $1 BILLION.

-----the resources that God/nature has provided.

Like the sun? Who gave that to us? Thank you God. Who gave us the wind. Why go 2,000 miles when there is energy  right outside the door.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the Earth.....  So let's destroy what God has given us.  We DO have to use part of it, but minimizing damage is the best way...

That plan works great for a small amount of people, but what about the masses? 

I'm glad you choose to live the way you do.  I have no issue with it, but I like my gas powered car, lawn mower, motorcycle. 

Thanks for your response.  We will just disagree on this.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            447 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm not afraid of the risks. 

As for the spill, when was the last one that occurred in Europe?

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2013, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

You're not very smart. I think I have told you this before. Oh well, there's lots of your type in LP.

"I am not a smart man but I know that I love chicken Mcnuggets."

Judging from your prediction stats, maybe you are smarter.

But your avatar is still ugly as F%$K.

Page 5 of 13