Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

Topic closed. 191 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it is immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

It is immoral [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
It is not immoral. [ 30 ]  [78.95%]
It's moral! (Either to work or to work if you won) [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
SW Florida
United States
Member #145673
August 11, 2013
152 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, immoral's a harsh way to describe it.  If it's what makes you happy, go for it.  Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to get up early every morning and go to a job I didn't need.  That whole routine that swallows up so much of your day and week - yuk.  I can think of a lot more fun and interesting things to do, and on my own time, whenever I felt like it than slogging through a work week working for somebody else's benefit.  I'd hit the road and explore the country and the world, that's my dream.  So a job would get in the way of that.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19767 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, immoral's a harsh way to describe it.  If it's what makes you happy, go for it.  Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to get up early every morning and go to a job I didn't need.  That whole routine that swallows up so much of your day and week - yuk.  I can think of a lot more fun and interesting things to do, and on my own time, whenever I felt like it than slogging through a work week working for somebody else's benefit.  I'd hit the road and explore the country and the world, that's my dream.  So a job would get in the way of that.

I Agree! there you go good adviceThumbs Up

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19767 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

To be perfectly candid, I'd do whatever I felt like doing at the time and couldn't care less what anybody thought about it.

Thumbs UpPartyI Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2013, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Good luck with this, Toronto.

I once posted a thread that asked if you won a jackpot would you be obligated to leave your job in order to free the job up for someone who really needed it.

It got a wee bit sidetracked and the rest of the discussion was basically, "I ain't obligated to do nothin'."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40377 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2013, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I once posted a thread that asked if you won a jackpot would you be obligated to leave your job in order to free the job up for someone who really needed it.

It got a wee bit sidetracked and the rest of the discussion was basically, "I ain't obligated to do nothin'."

I would free up my job right away, thinking about freeing it up anyway with or without a jackpot.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Milwaukee, WI
            United States
            Member #3131
            December 27, 2003
            665 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2013, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

I'll will work very hard to be the most disruptive lottery winner ever. I'll do my best to knock off all the most snobby people out there. I will work very hard getting as many people off the grid as possible. I will celebrate with every closed coal mine, and every closed refinery. I will get as many people of the utility company and their local gas station. They will know what true freedom is.

I also need to help the people who are truly discriminated against, not the crybabies who say thet the govt is picking on them.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
              Texas Panhandle
              United States
              Member #136843
              December 20, 2012
              1270 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2013, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I'll will work very hard to be the most disruptive lottery winner ever. I'll do my best to knock off all the most snobby people out there. I will work very hard getting as many people off the grid as possible. I will celebrate with every closed coal mine, and every closed refinery. I will get as many people of the utility company and their local gas station. They will know what true freedom is.

I also need to help the people who are truly discriminated against, not the crybabies who say thet the govt is picking on them.

I hope you use some of your winnings to get your G.E.D.

You could buy a clue while you're at it.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3854 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Yo Coin toss, seems like I remember this,

OTOH seems like I just think I do, how long has it been ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40377 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Show us that freedom, get yourself off the grid, or do you have a solar powered computor?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10348 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:23 am - IP Logged

haymaker,

A search shows a similar poll posted by Harvest Moon in 2009 and a post refers to the earlier one I wsas thinking of.

Gee, when you do searches and see the names of some of the posters it makes you wonder 'where are they now?'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1270 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Show us that freedom, get yourself off the grid, or do you have a solar powered computor?

I Agree! EXACTLY what I was thinking!

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2013, 2:16 am - IP Logged

Maybe you could just give away free condoms.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: December 5, 2013, 2:21 am - IP Logged

How about "inconsiderate"? It's not quite right, but much better than immoral. It would certainly be considerate if you gave up your job so that somebody who needed one could get one.

Of course it's not as simple as it might seem at first glance, as others have alluded to. If the Rolling Stones stop working it's not going to create an opening for other musicians (other than some retiring and the rest hiring replacements). In fact, it would cause some people to lose their jobs, such as roadies, stagehands, and little Chinese kids who package CDs. At the same time, many people who start businesses and "create" jobs don't really create new ones, because they're simply more competition in a market that doesn't expand.

East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            447 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Please elaborate on this plan.  It sounds like you don't like rich people and you want to go back to the 1870's with no electric or gasoline.

Coal burns cleaner now than ever before.  If we had more refineries, gas prices would be lower.  We have enough shale oil to last over 100 years, same with natural gas.  If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great.  It's the tree huggers that won't let us use the resources that God/nature has provided.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4106 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

Please elaborate on this plan.  It sounds like you don't like rich people and you want to go back to the 1870's with no electric or gasoline.

Coal burns cleaner now than ever before.  If we had more refineries, gas prices would be lower.  We have enough shale oil to last over 100 years, same with natural gas.  If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great.  It's the tree huggers that won't let us use the resources that God/nature has provided.

" If we could just get the idiots in Washington to approve more nuclear power plants that would be great."

Perhaps they have this on their minds Nightstalker...Remember?

Fukushima Nuclear Crisis...( March 11 2011)

Page 2 of 13