Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

Topic closed. 191 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 9 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it is immoral to work if you've won enough to not work?

It is immoral [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
It is not immoral. [ 30 ]  [78.95%]
It's moral! (Either to work or to work if you won) [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4987 Posts
Posted: December 8, 2013, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

"Anyone else find it curious we have fans of Marxist economics on a lottery board?  "

I have noticed there are quite a few on this board.

I agree Jill. Ever notice those who espouse the most liberal policies are also  the ones the most disrespectful and insulting to a large number of people on LP, especially women.  They cannot argue any issue without extreme name calling and trying to degrade people. I miss GWB every day.

J'aime La France.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
    Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
    United States
    Member #50210
    March 1, 2007
    843 Posts
    Posted: December 8, 2013, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree Jill. Ever notice those who espouse the most liberal policies are also  the ones the most disrespectful and insulting to a large number of people on LP, especially women.  They cannot argue any issue without extreme name calling and trying to degrade people. I miss GWB every day.

Hi Artist, unfortunately that is how far left liberals are indoctrinated. They need to be as insulting and condescending in order to try to spew their venom. GWB is a great man and he never stole anyone's money or home like someone on this forum alluded to.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: December 8, 2013, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Also, describe what belief you base your choice on. #2 can include those that do not believe anything can be intrinsically moral or immoral. I know #2 would include all the cases of #3, but wanted to separate those ideas; maybe I should have made #2, "It is not immoral, but it's not moral either."

I don't see a connection between them, but I do have some words to write.

You may have to define what work is.

My definition of work means something I don't want to do, but forced in order to make a living.

If you love doing something, it's not work anymore. So a doctor may want to keep "working" after a win because he loves aiding people with the healing process.

Unless someone is mentally ill, I couldn't possibly fathom anyone who'd want to torture themselves at a job they hate if they don't have to.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1409 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2013, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

"...we're in a democracy and majority rules...that's just America"

Wrong.

We don't live in a democracy under majority rule.

We live in a Representative Republic.

Big difference.

Good job!  I was wondering when someone was going to correct him. Yes, there certainly is a big difference.

"Representative (or Constitutional) Republic" is the proper description of our government, not "Democracy." A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one: in a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person, whereas in a democracy the sovereignty is in the group.  "Majority rules" is also a myth, as evidenced by a Presidential candidate winning a majority of the popular vote, yet not gaining the needed Electoral College votes in order to win the election; also by it taking a 2/3 vote of Congress to overturn a veto or propose an amendment, or 3/4 of states to amend the Constitution.  (Super majorities, not simple ones) There's nine/ten states that have the majority of the population, therefore they have the majority of representatives in the House but ea. state has two Senators to provide equal representation.  This is to prevent a "tyranny of the majority".

(not trying to educate YOU, just those that chew the covers off their books instead of reading them)

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3159 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Oil companies have been going out of their way to kill the Tesla. It's not the first time they've been doing this. Why would they want something that can take their money machine away from them?

I think their more worried about Obamas dream of  54.5 MPG. Ponder

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

You want to explain the sky high deductibles that people can't afford? I also read that insurance companies would lose big time if the unaffordable uncare act FAILS!  Also, Don't forget the insurance companies got there 2 cents into this law,  follow the money!......

Sky high deductibles?? It depends on your income you have to be in between the 100% to 400% of the poverty level if you are not then yeah your deductibles are going to be sky high...do some more research

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Some of the comments displayed here have been comical to say the least.

"Republicans are taking away the rights of individuals"

"Republicans are Communist"

"There is nothing wrong with our economy or Government debt"

There are simply too many to list. These poor misinformed individuals have no clue that they have been brainwashed by their own party and the media.

I am a proud to be a member of the Tea Party Conservatives. I believe in a balanced budget, smaller Government who can spend responsibly, reducing our national debt and not trampling over the Constitutional rights of our citizens.

I do not agree with the manner in which our Government has enabled dependency and entitlements and for this the extreme left has labeled people like me "racist", "uncompassionate" and a "Crazy Tea Bagger".

Many of us contribute more than our fair share of income and property taxes and yet there are those who do nothing but still view us as evil.

It is sad how our once beloved nation has evolved.

The tea party movement is like every other political party in Washington, they dont care about this country or the people in it, they only care about the 1%, like every other politician you ever heard of, but they are the ones that are extreme and there are too many people who fall below that standard that believe in that party

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

I hope it crashes and burns ,

They sold the young voters on " You can stay on your parents insurance until your 26"

Now the dumba**es can't figure out why the young people aren't signing up.

Now compound the fact, the have reduced the amount of hours people who are part time can work.( or the company pays a big fine) ( this was a sneaky back door approach to get companies to hire more part time workers, and that's not working.)

The young part time workers don't make enough to buy health insurance and the big dumb government has reduced the amount of money needed to go towards SS and Medicaid, by reducing hours, but thats okay because in 2014 they will take more out of everyones checks and people will have even less disposable income.

If I didn't know any better, I would swear this is a way to keep us economically depressed.

I hope it last as long as medicare and social security, alot of people are signing up and yes since Dec 1st not enough youg people have signed up, but I think they will...The opinion that part time folks can work is another falsehood snuck in the back door by the conservatives...

Did you also know that in California they set up a FAKE website that looks like the actual ACA state website to spread propaganda and lies...Now if the LAW is soooo bad, I ask you why...Why do they have to tell lies and set up fake website to try and deter people from signing up???

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi Artist, unfortunately that is how far left liberals are indoctrinated. They need to be as insulting and condescending in order to try to spew their venom. GWB is a great man and he never stole anyone's money or home like someone on this forum alluded to.

LOL Who are YOU calling insulting and condescending??? LOL most of the people you are agreeing with are the most condescending and insulting people here...They and YOU have used names such as "marxist", communist, a holes, stupid, I could go on and on but you and they know all of what you said...George Bush is a good man, but just being a good man doesnt mean you're a good president..Do you even remember a little war we had in Iraq??

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Good job!  I was wondering when someone was going to correct him. Yes, there certainly is a big difference.

"Representative (or Constitutional) Republic" is the proper description of our government, not "Democracy." A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one: in a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person, whereas in a democracy the sovereignty is in the group.  "Majority rules" is also a myth, as evidenced by a Presidential candidate winning a majority of the popular vote, yet not gaining the needed Electoral College votes in order to win the election; also by it taking a 2/3 vote of Congress to overturn a veto or propose an amendment, or 3/4 of states to amend the Constitution.  (Super majorities, not simple ones) There's nine/ten states that have the majority of the population, therefore they have the majority of representatives in the House but ea. state has two Senators to provide equal representation.  This is to prevent a "tyranny of the majority".

(not trying to educate YOU, just those that chew the covers off their books instead of reading them)

Never said there wasnt a difference, just said America was a democracy. The only places Ive seen that are a little right /conservative leaning...now I remember in school we learned that America was a democracy...Never heard the term Representative Republic until the tea party came along...as a matter of fact I do believe the holy father Ronald Regan even said America was a democracy back in the 80s

(not trying to educate you, cause you cant educate a piece of wood)

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                      Texas Panhandle
                      United States
                      Member #136843
                      December 20, 2012
                      1409 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how long it's been, but if the statute of limitations hasn't passed you really should look into suing whoever provided your education because they ripped you off.

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4987 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Jill, I love how this moron comments on my posts and I ignore him time and time again. He really likes to harass women in particular and accuse men of child molesting. I bet you his criminal record is a mile long and I consider him beneath me to even address directly.  He even responds to posts where I am clearly addressing another person or tries to attack people with an education. What is interesting is that I have never used most of those terms he referenced and he continues to attack people without reason.  And even if no one makes a political comment, he tries to turn it into one.  He just proved my point. Of course everyone refers to him as "stupid" and he is one of the least liked people on LP. Perhaps if he actually had a job and was not online 24/7, he would have a better understanding of work and the world. LOL....lol....lol....lol

J'aime La France.

United States
                          Member #130815
                          July 25, 2012
                          1636 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2013, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how long it's been, but if the statute of limitations hasn't passed you really should look into suing whoever provided your education because they ripped you off.

Well then I really pity you cause you would have no one to sue, the real pity is you could probably use the money

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4987 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I think we thought the exact same thought at the same moment.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I think we thought the exact same thought at the same moment.

Must've been kismet...LOL

Page 9 of 13