Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we boycott Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 153 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Goteki54.

Page 10 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Boycott mega millions?

Yes [ 12 ]  [24.49%]
No [ 37 ]  [75.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2014, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Thanks.

It seems Virgina doesn't play much. Population of 8 million yet only $5,300 in sales compared to Idaho with 2 million population and $68,000 spent. And of course New York and California combined blow every other state out of the water (the two together spent as much as the next 5 states combined on the last jackpot winning draw).

I doubt there's a way to actually see the combinations played though, right? I mean, the $180m jackpot draw had $36,066,782 in sales, but how many of those lines played were unique? I know it would probably be quite low, but I think it would still be interesting to look at.

The unique combinations percentages among all players would probably be similar to those among the winners except for those who play 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 .

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
    Member #142777
    May 18, 2013
    263 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2014, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

To answer the question it doesn't look like people are boycotting megamillions.  Its trending in the top 10 of yahoo right now and its only $33 million.  Its getting desperate out there. Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

United States
      Member #135804
      November 29, 2012
      318 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2014, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks.

It seems Virgina doesn't play much. Population of 8 million yet only $5,300 in sales compared to Idaho with 2 million population and $68,000 spent. And of course New York and California combined blow every other state out of the water (the two together spent as much as the next 5 states combined on the last jackpot winning draw).

I doubt there's a way to actually see the combinations played though, right? I mean, the $180m jackpot draw had $36,066,782 in sales, but how many of those lines played were unique? I know it would probably be quite low, but I think it would still be interesting to look at.

Think about it, a large % of the VA population lives in the DC suburbs. Why win in VA, and have your name and picture released, when you can cross the state line and win with anonymity?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2014, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

The unique combinations percentages among all players would probably be similar to those among the winners except for those who play 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 .

You're probably correct, it would just be interesting to see roughly how many lines are duplicates (or maybe even just sales numbers without including megaplier sales). Like the last two big winners that had two winners. One had $336,545,306 in sales and the other had $113,435,277. Almost triple the sales but the same results.

I just have a weird thing with numbers.

Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2014, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Think about it, a large % of the VA population lives in the DC suburbs. Why win in VA, and have your name and picture released, when you can cross the state line and win with anonymity?

I'm not too familiar with the living arrangements in that area, but that still seems weird. Even Wyoming, with just under 600,000 population has more than Virginia and DC in sales combined ($44,845). Also Vermont, with just over 600,000 population has triple the sales of Virginia ($17,830). Plus Maryland appears to have a similar situation in regards to closeness to DC and had $480,000 in sales last draw. Even the $600,000,000+ draw they didn't break into the six digit sales figures when a majority of states were in the 7 or 8 digits.

It's just weird. I thought it may be they are richer or smarter than other states, but they rank below others that spend way more on the lottery, so I'm at a loss.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19831 Posts
            Posted: September 3, 2014, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

You're probably correct, it would just be interesting to see roughly how many lines are duplicates (or maybe even just sales numbers without including megaplier sales). Like the last two big winners that had two winners. One had $336,545,306 in sales and the other had $113,435,277. Almost triple the sales but the same results.

I just have a weird thing with numbers.

That information is also available eventually from the same sources that Todd and Dawn purchase information for display on their websites.  It's probably only purchased by those who are doing serious lottery research.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: September 3, 2014, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm not too familiar with the living arrangements in that area, but that still seems weird. Even Wyoming, with just under 600,000 population has more than Virginia and DC in sales combined ($44,845). Also Vermont, with just over 600,000 population has triple the sales of Virginia ($17,830). Plus Maryland appears to have a similar situation in regards to closeness to DC and had $480,000 in sales last draw. Even the $600,000,000+ draw they didn't break into the six digit sales figures when a majority of states were in the 7 or 8 digits.

It's just weird. I thought it may be they are richer or smarter than other states, but they rank below others that spend way more on the lottery, so I'm at a loss.

Unlike some of the smaller states, larger states like my state (Ohio) have a bunch of local games like pick3, pick4, pick5, Keno, Rolling Cash5 (5/39), Classic Lotto (6/49), Cash Explosion and numerous scratch off game that compete with those games.

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: September 3, 2014, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious to know the source of your information especially when you say " Even Wyoming, with just under 600,000 population has more than Virginia and DC in sales combined ($44,845). " My sources give the sales figures for last nights MM draw as follows for the states you mentioned.

DC $36,632

MD $479,035

VA $563,516

VT $17,830

WY $44,845

That money's gone fo ever

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2014, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

The three states that the cry babies on here love to complain that they win all the times had the most sales in last nights low JP

CA $2,168,744

FL $755,329

NY $1,553,581

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: September 3, 2014, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious to know the source of your information especially when you say " Even Wyoming, with just under 600,000 population has more than Virginia and DC in sales combined ($44,845). " My sources give the sales figures for last nights MM draw as follows for the states you mentioned.

DC $36,632

MD $479,035

VA $563,516

VT $17,830

WY $44,845

Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Our source is probably the same, just I was confusing VI and VA. NOW it all makes complete sense, as I was confusing the Virgin Islands for Virginia.

At least the mystery is solved, lol. Now my mind is equally blown that MegaMillions is old in the Virgin Islands and now I really want to see a winning ticket from there.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                      Nutley, New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #131058
                      August 1, 2012
                      875 Posts
                      Posted: September 4, 2014, 5:44 am - IP Logged

The three states that the cry babies on here love to complain that they win all the times had the most sales in last nights low JP

CA $2,168,744

FL $755,329

NY $1,553,581

Kick those 3 states out and the jackpot will grow even slower and your chances of winning will be the same as before.

Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: September 4, 2014, 6:30 am - IP Logged

Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Our source is probably the same, just I was confusing VI and VA. NOW it all makes complete sense, as I was confusing the Virgin Islands for Virginia.

At least the mystery is solved, lol. Now my mind is equally blown that MegaMillions is old in the Virgin Islands and now I really want to see a winning ticket from there.

I knew it had to be a mistake because VA population is very energized when it comes to playing the lottery.

Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: September 4, 2014, 6:36 am - IP Logged

Kick those 3 states out and the jackpot will grow even slower and your chances of winning will be the same as before.

I agree. NY lottery leads in lottery sales nationwide. They go hard

Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: September 4, 2014, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

I knew it had to be a mistake because VA population is very energized when it comes to playing the lottery.

I had thought so, which made me even more confused. I know other areas in that state are pretty big on playing. In the past two years, Maryland has won as many times as California and New Jersey has won one more.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                              Marquette, MI
                              United States
                              Member #20541
                              August 20, 2005
                              705 Posts
                              Posted: September 4, 2014, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm beginning to wonder if we should boycott Mega Millions.  They promised huge jackpots with the new matrix, but the jackpots have been anaything but huge.  It can never seem to get above $200 million.  A new, HARD matrix needs to be put in place because it's way too easy for some to win still.  Odds need to be at least 1 in 500 trillion.

Also, the game is rigged to let California win most of the time.  California needs to be kicked out of all MUSL games, or have their winnings taxed at a 95% rate.  California can just have their own state lottery & all 38 million residents can win & split the change with each other.

I'll play Powerball only from now on.

I can remember a group of people here in Michigan trying to start a boycott of the 6/47 game because they thought 10 million to 1 odd were too hideous.  They wrote to newspapers at the time to solicit a boycott.  That was in 1989.

Page 10 of 11