Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we boycott Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 153 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Goteki54.

Page 6 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Boycott mega millions?

Yes [ 12 ]  [24.49%]
No [ 37 ]  [75.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7302 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2014, 12:46 am - IP Logged

So because they have more people paying in, you're telling others, and myself to accept that california and NY will win the PB and MM's most of the time?

Combined, California and NY players purchased 22 times more MM tickets than Wisconsin so it's a mathematical probably more tickets equal more jackpots. And when you compare Wisconsin MM sales to all sales, it's a slightly less than 1% chance. But it's only 0.13% of all possible combinations meaning you shouldn't expect to see a 4 + 1 match.

I'm not saying California, NY, Texas, Florida, NJ, PA or any of the other state lotteries that spent at least 3 times more on MM tickets will win "most of the time", but doing the math, if Wisconsin averages $358,315 every drawing for the entire year, it's still only a 14.39% chance of winning a jackpot. And just based on those statistics, the Wisconsin players already started a MM boycott and you missed the memo.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2014, 12:58 am - IP Logged

From the PB FAQ page (also applies to MM):

HOW COME THE ONLY JACKPOT WINNERS ARE FROM THE [EAST - WEST - NORTH - SOUTH - CITIES - RURAL AREAS]?

HOW COME ONLY [WHITE, BLACK, TALL, SKINNY, YOUNG, OLD] PEOPLE WIN?

Powerball is a random game that knows nothing about who buys a ticket or where a ticket is purchased. There really is no white/black/old/young/rich/poor, etc.] button on the machine. If one draws a box around some group of players (eg., state border, hair color, shoe size), then that group of players will win in proportion to their play. If the defined group buys 10% of the tickets, then they will win 10% of the prizes - on average and over a reasonable period of time. But that does NOT mean that you have a better chance of winning in a bigger box - you then just have more folks to play against. The Law of Large numbers explains how random expectations become truer as the number of occurrences increases. So, if players in a particular group buy 8.6754% of the tickets, then we will find, if the number of occurrences (prizes awarded) are large enough, that those players win 8.6754% of the prizes. This is definitely true for the low-tier prizes where there are large numbers of winners. With 12 to 15 jackpot winners in a year, we would expect that these percentages can get out of sync with sales from time to time, but as the number of jackpot winners continues to increase, we will find that the percentage numbers move closer and closer to being the same number. Try this experiment. Flip a coin four times. You might get 75% heads - or even 100%. You would not expect to get excited about that. With only ten flips, it can happen. But then flip it 1,000 times (no cheating). You will come much closer to the statistical expectation of 50% heads. If you hit 75% heads after 1,000 flips, then something is wrong. It really does NOT make any difference where you buy your ticket. It is you a against the draw machine.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2014, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Then california needs to have its own multi million dollar lottery,  otherwise it is still unfair!  What about having a population advantage over most other states do you not understand?

Want to explain to everyone how the jackpots won on the "Miracle Mile" in Fond du Lac were 'fair'?

Lep

From Fox News, 2008:

Wisconsin's 'Miracle Mile' Produces Another Lottery Millionaire

MADISON, Wis. �  The Miracle Mile has produced yet another millionaire.

The winning $1 million ticket in Tuesday's Holiday Millions Raffle was sold at Ma and Pa's in Fond du Lac, the Wisconsin lottery said.

The so-called "Miracle Mile" is a stretch in downtown Fond du Lac that has been unusually lucky for lottery players. One store there sold a $208.6 million Powerball ticket in 2006, and several other stores sold multimillion-dollar tickets in the 1990s.

For Tuesday's million-dollar raffle, the state planned to sell a maximum of 500,000 tickets at $10 apiece. The grand prize was $1 million, while 10 players each won $100,000, and 500 people each won $1,000.

If all 500,000 tickets sold, the odds of winning the top prize would have been two in a million. But those chances improved by a factor of 1.4 since only 368,477 tickets were sold.

The winning ticket was identified by its unique six-digit number � 300142.

The $208.6 million Powerball ticket from 2006 was sold at a convenience store called Ma and Pa's Grocery Express in Fond du Lac. It wasn't immediately clear whether that was the same Ma and Pa's that sold Tuesday's raffle winner.

A message left with the state lottery office by The Associated Press wasn't immediately returned Tuesday night, and calls to multiple Ma and Pa's stores in the area rang unanswered.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
        Texas Panhandle
        United States
        Member #136843
        December 20, 2012
        1270 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2014, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Excellent post, CT!  When I glanced at his profile and saw he was from Wisconsin, there was something I wanted to tell him about but couldn't dig it out of my brain and that was it!

Oh yeah, the Lucky Cheesehead Conspiracy, that's it.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #129225
          June 13, 2012
          546 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2014, 6:26 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

It was really pretty funny!

Thanks!

Washington, DC
            United States
            Member #156767
            June 29, 2014
            1 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2014, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I've fought with that thought for a ling while. Ever since they changed the Matrix to that ridiculous 5/75 it's almost impossible to hit the 2nd prize which is what I judge most lottery games on. And the 3rd prize's odds is astronomical as well. IMO they messed up a pretty good game. Not playing MM ever again.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #104962
              January 23, 2011
              1075 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Excellent post, CT!  When I glanced at his profile and saw he was from Wisconsin, there was something I wanted to tell him about but couldn't dig it out of my brain and that was it!

Oh yeah, the Lucky Cheesehead Conspiracy, that's it.

Is that right, conspiracy theorist?

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #104962
                January 23, 2011
                1075 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I've fought with that thought for a ling while. Ever since they changed the Matrix to that ridiculous 5/75 it's almost impossible to hit the 2nd prize which is what I judge most lottery games on. And the 3rd prize's odds is astronomical as well. IMO they messed up a pretty good game. Not playing MM ever again.

Good  for youThumbs Up......Welcome to lottery post!

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Oh, c'mon.  You can't recognize sarcasm when it smacks you in the face?    Good grief.

I take voting seriously.

Trump 2016!

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19771 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:47 am - IP Logged

I'm beginning to wonder if we should boycott Mega Millions.  They promised huge jackpots with the new matrix, but the jackpots have been anaything but huge.  It can never seem to get above $200 million.  A new, HARD matrix needs to be put in place because it's way too easy for some to win still.  Odds need to be at least 1 in 500 trillion.

Also, the game is rigged to let California win most of the time.  California needs to be kicked out of all MUSL games, or have their winnings taxed at a 95% rate.  California can just have their own state lottery & all 38 million residents can win & split the change with each other.

I'll play Powerball only from now on.

If you want the Jackpots to be higher then everyone needs to put more money in.

BananaJACKPOTHurray!

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19771 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:56 am - IP Logged

And you still may not win.

I Agree! That's Why They Call It Gambling

Let it Snow Snowman

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                        Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1684 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2014, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Can't boycott mega millions. This year I'm boycotting tofu.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19771 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2014, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Oh mann, I'm never gonna win... thanks

Just trying to help you, but I don't know where you're coming from or where you're going with this...

I try to avoid threads like these and boy I got sucked in fast!

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19771 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2014, 10:01 am - IP Logged

If they stop MM they will just have a NEW Game  Smash

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19771 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2014, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Want to explain to everyone how the jackpots won on the "Miracle Mile" in Fond du Lac were 'fair'?

Lep

From Fox News, 2008:

Wisconsin's 'Miracle Mile' Produces Another Lottery Millionaire

MADISON, Wis. �  The Miracle Mile has produced yet another millionaire.

The winning $1 million ticket in Tuesday's Holiday Millions Raffle was sold at Ma and Pa's in Fond du Lac, the Wisconsin lottery said.

The so-called "Miracle Mile" is a stretch in downtown Fond du Lac that has been unusually lucky for lottery players. One store there sold a $208.6 million Powerball ticket in 2006, and several other stores sold multimillion-dollar tickets in the 1990s.

For Tuesday's million-dollar raffle, the state planned to sell a maximum of 500,000 tickets at $10 apiece. The grand prize was $1 million, while 10 players each won $100,000, and 500 people each won $1,000.

If all 500,000 tickets sold, the odds of winning the top prize would have been two in a million. But those chances improved by a factor of 1.4 since only 368,477 tickets were sold.

The winning ticket was identified by its unique six-digit number � 300142.

The $208.6 million Powerball ticket from 2006 was sold at a convenience store called Ma and Pa's Grocery Express in Fond du Lac. It wasn't immediately clear whether that was the same Ma and Pa's that sold Tuesday's raffle winner.

A message left with the state lottery office by The Associated Press wasn't immediately returned Tuesday night, and calls to multiple Ma and Pa's stores in the area rang unanswered.

Very Lucky placeParty

Let it Snow Snowman

Page 6 of 11